make a train stop before reaching a waypoint

thx both,

@IckyATLAS already tried but the train still goes to the waypoint. 
I will try to forcecomplete + activate a silly waypoint at the same time (behind the train).

If there is no solution, I guess I will add more waypoints and activate/deactivate them on the go, but I read somewhere that trains stop 
at each waypoints and it does not really fit what I want.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, super-truite said:

Hello,
is it possible to stop a train with a serverinput before reaching a waypoint ?
I tried:

• force complete
  • Command formation -> vehicle stop
  • deactivate waypoint 

No luck so far

Can I ask reason?

What are you doing this for? Sometimes the solution requires the reason to get required result you want to achieve.

For example the train will stop if the engine is damaged enough.

And FYI , deactivating the waypoint trigger stops it firing once reached...

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

So I took the challenge and here is my conclusion.

The only way to stop a train in its tracks in a controlled way seem to be by using the Damage MCU.

Set the Damage MCU to Damage Minor and then immediately after through a 1 sec Timer trigger another Damage MCU to Repair Complete.

The train will slow down and stop and the very short interval between minor damage and complete repair will be such that visually all will be perfect.

There is a big problem nevertheless. Such a train is impossible to restart moving, and I really tried any possible way.

For me this is a Bug because a repaired train should be able to run again.

I posted this issue in the Bug section.

ya looks like that is the case.

I guess current logic is that once damaged train was not going to get repaired so did not need to be moving again.

Obviously that is not good.
IMHO I think the reason is more likely less a bug and more likely an omission in logic built into trains, they never had to start with....

thanks @IckyATLAS, nice idea! 

@=RS=Stix_09 I am making a coop mission where a train and other units have to break an encirclement. Players need to help  clear the way with tanks or attack planes. But  I would like the players to be able to stop the train for a few minutes when there are too much threats in front of it. The initial idea was to allow the players on discord to send serverinput commands via a tool I developed that allows to call the remote console from discord. One of those commands would be to stop/start the train.

10 hours ago, super-truite said:

thanks @IckyATLAS, nice idea! 

@=RS=Stix_09 I am making a coop mission where a train and other units have to break an encirclement. Players need to help  clear the way with tanks or attack planes. But  I would like the players to be able to stop the train for a few minutes when there are too much threats in front of it. The initial idea was to allow the players on discord to send serverinput commands via a tool I developed that allows to call the remote console from discord. One of those commands would be to stop/start the train.

ok,

Maybe you could have train proceed to a next waypoint only once that section is clear, and Trigger the next way point from an event .(ie like a moving front line) 

Examples event:

1) with a flare from a player

2)based on counter method to determine numbers of ground or planes destroyed for example,

3)maybe a proximity of player to train (low pass flyover) to trigger next way point for train, as some examples.

A complex trigger can detect flares fired. Might not be exactly same as stopping train at any point , but it appears the only way to stop trains currently is with way points , if you want to start them again.

Simple ideas often work best...

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

You could have the train stop at your desired location with a command formation stop, trigger a timer and delete it. Then trigger a new one with new waypoints like you would do if it was coming through a tunnel. If you put the delete and spawn milliseconds apart, I doubt you can tell it happened even if you were looking right at it. It might appear to be a stutter at worst.

I guess that might not be what you are looking for though if you want a server input to stop the train at different times.

Edited by Jaegermeister
9 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

You could have the train stop at your desired location with a command formation stop, trigger a timer and delete it. Then trigger a new one with new waypoints like you would do if it was coming through a tunnel. If you put the delete and spawn milliseconds apart, I doubt you can tell it happened even if you were looking right at it. It might appear to be a stutter at worst.

I guess that might not be what you are looking for though if you want a server input to stop the train at different times.

Formation commands do not work on trains (this was advised in previous comments , from testing). Spawn trigger will spawn at  original train location, not where current train is. If you know exact location of train you can use the "spawn at me" option, problem is locating exact location of train can only be done with way points (and experimenting). So only options are something like I advised and using way points as start stop points. Maybe they might update train logic to allow this in future.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

thx guys, indeed I guess I will have to change a bit the way it works and add more waypoints or let the train go and fine tune carefully the difficulty for players. Just wanted to be sure there is no simple way of stoping the train I might have missed.

• 10 months later...

Revamp of this old post, now with game v 4.506.

===> Kuban map, dead end railway track. (i use the Off Winters North Africa mod, making a mission for it).

I tried various ways stopping a train at a certain point about 50m before the track's end, keeping it alive for the enemy bombers to play with ...,

and trigger a truck convoy to start on being destroyed.

Been setting up 3 waypoints slowing it down with a last waypoint with 0 or 1 km speed.

Alas always the train turns around, runs back some 100m and then stops, still blowing steam and alive.

If i do this on a NON dead end track the train stops fine, NO turn around.

Any suggestions? Thanks !

ADDED PS: at the start of a dead end track you'll also get weird situations, this is before that train starts, active, but first waypoint not triggered yet:

Train start Kuban Map position error.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

I like trains BTW. In IL2 it's just as with public transport: they take you from a place you are not, to a place you don't want to be, mostly at quite an inconvenient time.

That's where IL2 excels. at least you can program the time.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:23 AM, JimTM said:

Hmmm, no luck here either. I tried:

• Vehicle: Panic Stop
  • Force Complete, High
  • Force Complete, Low

Anyone else?

Hi Jim, you your self once pm'd me this, train stops and moves again at various locations:

JimTM -TestTrainRoute.zip

On 4/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, jollyjack said:

Hi Jim, you your self once pm'd me this, train stops and moves again at various locations:

This mission stops the train at the waypoints at each station. The OP asked how to stop the train between the waypoints.

Edited by JimTM
10 hours ago, JimTM said:

This mission stops the train at the waypoints at each station. The OP asked how to stop the train between the waypoints.

OOPS, My Bad.

PS i spent some time experimenting with activators, timers and force completes etc, only your waypoint trick works,

it's fine tunable by waypoint speeds etc, but it seems the only way.

Edited by jollyjack