Developer Diary 249 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

=VARP=Ribbon

Great news!

After this; close range visibility fix, channel map, b25, torpedo bombers.....pto....and than i can die😅

• Upvote 1

=FI=Blue2

While I definitely appreciate them, I'm not usually one to get all that excited about graphical changes.  But these are something else.  Agree with others here about the new skin.  I'm no connoisseur, but I can't imagine how it could look much more lifelike in terms of reflection & color shading.  Bravo!

The reflections are very cool too.  Gotta be awesome in VR.  You coding wizards are OK in my book.  ;)

IRRE_Biluf
16 hours ago, Requiem said:

Am I nuts in thinking that those annoying scratches all over the canopies are now gone?

+100, I hope that in the process you will get rid of the glowing, unrealistic scratches in the canopy.

Can't wait to see the results.

• Upvote 1

Ala13_UnopaUno_VR

great job, looking forward to that performance enhancement for those of us who use VR

AEthelraedUnraed

Very nice, and I think useful too. As I don't have the money for a good VR set or head tracker, I use padlock a lot. With the rather featureless canopies of the later-war aircraft, that tends to get pretty disorienting though as I have no idea if I'm looking towards the forward-left or rear-right, especially if I can only see the sky. This often results in me losing valuable energy by unwittingly flying strange vertical manoeuvres. These reflections should at least give a bit of a visual clue as to which direction I'm looking in, and hence the approximate orientation of the airplane.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed

Begon_Jaune

Maybe the first quality of a good simulator is to continue to evolve, and to choose the right axes for this development ... Cornélien ...
And that, while continuing to correct the imperfections.
You seem to be on the right track, long live IL2 :)
A suggestion: a more varied weather in career mode (or at least, the choice (in the difficulty settings, to have a weather "easy, average, difficult")
Regards.

timothy55

Yes great video Jason , all the reality you can manage Sir we'll take.

But this download in 2/3 weeks will it include other things and if so what?

Freycinet
22 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

The reflections look very good. :good: What would make the inside the cockpit a lot more natural would be a more intense shadows. 

I don't agree. Our eyes work marvels in instantly adjusting to dark and bright areas, so with our eyes we don't perceive shadows as being quite as dramatic as they appear in photos.  

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Everything that reduces CPU resources and transfers them to GPU is warmly welcome. This game seems too much CPU single thread performance dependent.

I think you should run tests and you'll see that you're wrong. The engine is multithread and do not use juste one single thread as you think.

But if you don't, here is a video in french i did one years ago :

At 4:16:

"le fait que ces graphiques ne sont pas a zero prouve que IL-2 est multicoeur"

"The fact that these graphs are not at zero proves that IL-2 is multi-core/multi-threaded"

No it does not. Even a single-threaded application can, and normally will, be moved around the cores faster that the sampling interval on the graphs, meaning all cores will look partially busy all the time. That's because the OS/hardware moves the load around, likely to avoid overheating any single core.

In any case, nobody who's knowledgeable about programming and multi-threading claims that IL-2 is single-threaded. What is being claimed is that there is much capacity still unused. That is visible on the graphs in this video (the number was about 20% overall), and the reason for that is that there are a couple of threads that perform most of the computation. Split these threads to parallelize their work, or move some of the graphical work from the CPU to the GPU, and we'll likely see better frame rates, and/or improved graphical quality. I'm really looking forward to getting this next update, especially in VR with my ageing CPU.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

SCG_OpticFlow
15 minutes ago, coconut said:

At 4:16:

"le fait que ces graphiques ne sont pas a zero prouve que IL-2 est multicoeur"

"The fact that these graphs are not at zero proves that IL-2 is multi-core/multi-threaded"

No it does not. Even a single-threaded application can, and normally will, be moved around the cores faster that the sampling interval on the graphs, meaning all cores will look partially busy all the time. That's because the OS/hardware moves the load around, likely to avoid overheating any single core.

In any case, nobody who's knowledgeable about programming and multi-threading claims that IL-2 is single-threaded. What is being claimed is that there is much capacity still unused. That is visible on the graphs in this video (the number was about 20% overall), and the reason for that is that there are a couple of threads that perform most of the computation. Split these threads to parallelize their work, or move some of the graphical work from the CPU to the GPU, and we'll likely see better frame rates, and/or improved graphical quality. I'm really looking forward to getting this next update, especially in VR with my ageing CPU.

Not exactly on topic, but this video illustrates why multi-threading doesn't necessary equate higher performance:

The reflections in that Jug are amazing. If you look near the pase on the port and starboard sides you can see the distortion close to the frame.

1 hour ago, coconut said:

That is visible on the graphs in this video (the number was about 20% overall), and the reason for that is that there are a couple of threads that perform most of the computation.

You can't have all the thread wich have the same computation all the time. Sometimes yes, but not all the time.

13 hours ago, Dano said:

Looks great to me, also, am I the only one who likes the canopy scratches?

Nope, I really enjoy the scratches on the canopies as well. Even though the effect could be toned down a little, I wouldn't want to see them gone, for they really give you the sense of being surrounded by (plexi) glass, together with the light blue tint of amored glass sections.

The new effects shown in this diary look amazing and will only add up to the feeling of 'being there'. Stunning work.

Edited by Fritz_X
Typos, my bad!
  • Upvote 1

Great looking! It will add to the immersion of the sim. 

I hope after this that they will fix AI in TC being able to spot you through trees....

Edited by inexus
new addition

1 minute ago, inexus said:

I hope after this that they will fix AI in TC being able to spot you through trees....

They don't need to fix it - it's already a feature in TC... ;)

• Haha 1

4 часа назад, Habu сказал:

I think you should run tests and you'll see that you're wrong. The engine is multithread and do not use juste one single thread as you think.

But if you don't, here is a video in french i did one years ago :

The game uses one stream with maximum load and another 2-3 lightly loaded. The rest are not used by the game. What Windows shows is simply switching the thread through the cores. IMHO.

• Upvote 1

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

People who like the current scratches "for realism" seem not to work with aircraft. In game they are in totally random places and directions, making no sense at all. Like a disgruntled ground crew has taken a tool and made them all over the place or dragged the parts on ground. 

A scratch is a distraction/defect and will be removed by applicable means. If it exceeds certain values like length, depth and width, and can not be removed, the part is replaced. I highly doubt pilots would have accepted canopies in this conditions we see in the game, scratches and smear everywhere. 

Hope lies in the patch that it removes these unrealistic random features and the new reflection effect better portrays how it should be. End of rant, AC mech/maintenance for 23 years and counting. 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

People who like the current scratches "for realism" seem not to work with aircraft. In game they are in totally random places and directions, making no sense at all. Like a disgruntled ground crew has taken a tool and made them all over the place or dragged the parts on ground. 

A scratch is a distraction/defect and will be removed by applicable means. If it exceeds certain values like length, depth and width, and can not be removed, the part is replaced. I highly doubt pilots would have accepted canopies in this conditions we see in the game, scratches and smear everywhere. 

Hope lies in the patch that it removes these unrealistic random features and the new reflection effect better portrays how it should be. End of rant, AC mech/maintenance for 23 years and counting. 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Even though I'm one of those people who enjoy the effect (maybe not for realism, but definitely for making players able to grasp that they are surrounded by glass and not just a frame with thin air in between), I can hardly argue with you.

I'd still disagree on your point of pilots not accepting low quality materials for their planes, especially when it comes to our given time frame. A major complaint by VVS pilots was the low quality of the plexi glass in many Russian plane types. If you compare the reports from what we have in game, it looks like we ended with the far better material.

• Upvote 1

LLv34_Flanker

S!

I have been in a Bf109G-6 that is still having the original canopy and windscreen. While the windscreen has suffered over time, the canopy is still almost like brand new. Clear and no scratches nor smear like in game. Ground crew takes pride in offering the best for the pilot as his life might depend on it. Canopy and windscreen clean and in as good condition as possible.

The low quality of Russian plexiglass is nowhere to be seen, but this is in line that planes in game are like new without possible defects, more or less.

8 hours ago, FoxbatRU said:

The game uses one stream with maximum load and another 2-3 lightly loaded. The rest are not used by the game. What Windows shows is simply switching the thread through the cores. IMHO.

Sometimes, you have a single thread which is higher than the other, but most of the time it's balanced. You can see it if you monitor it on a second monitor which avoid to swtich to the windows task manager.

RIPSkyKingTasmanaut
8 hours ago, FoxbatRU said:

You're spot on mate, I can confirm this with my own testing and from what I've seen myself.

I have to say the reflection effects are quite subtle, I noticed them first in the bf109. Which is nice, it could be distracting if overdone. It seems they were limited to the cockpit, though. I don't think I could see the terrain or clouds in the reflections on the canopy. Or did I miss them?

The thing that jumped at me first was the nice quality of the shadows. Is the deferred renderer going to give use nice shadows for a lower cost than currently?

I have to set mine to normal, and naturally they don't look this good.

Ala13_UnopaUno_VR
4 minutes ago, coconut said:

Tengo que decir que los efectos de reflexión son bastante sutiles, los noté primero en el bf109. Lo cual es bueno, podría ser una distracción si se exagera. Sin embargo, parece que se limitaron a la cabina. No creo que pudiera ver el terreno o las nubes en los reflejos del dosel. ¿O los extrañé?

Lo que me llamó la atención primero fue la buena calidad de las sombras. ¿El renderizador diferido va a usar sombras agradables por un costo menor que el actual?

Tengo que poner el mío en normal, y naturalmente no se ven tan bien.

We do not know if flying low will make some reflections of trees, or houses on the ground or, as you say, even the clouds, so what is shown in the video is practically limited to the environment of the plane, really close things in the pilot's view, but it would be a authentic past to see reflections even of planes that you have close in the formation etc ... we will see

VR-DriftaholiC

Pretty please remove the very low resolution canopy scratches or at least remaster them into an acceptable resolution. Saw them pop in a couple times in your video. 

Love the new reflections!

Caudron431

After seeing the P47 part of the video i could not help thinking: glass distortion first step towards glass refraction (aka end of the infamous  Fw190 bar?) 😀

Anyways, superb work again guys!

So_ein_Feuerball
2 hours ago, Caudron431Rafale said:

After seeing the P47 part of the video i could not help thinking: glass distortion first step towards glass refraction (aka end of the infamous  Fw190 bar?) 😀

I think the two are rather unrelated effects. Whereas the one would necessitate a form of picture in picture rendering, which would tank performance, the other is about reflections. 

Voodoo-BlackDog

Any info on a update or hotfix to address the terrible imbalance on the damage model and firepower since the last update? Thanks 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Poochnboo
On 5/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, EAF_Ribbon said:

After this; close range visibility fix, channel map, b25, torpedo bombers.....pto....and than i can die

So, you're planning on living until you are 125? Damn!

Seriously, though. It all looks great. 

• Han unpinned this topic