Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 249 - Discussion

11 minutes ago, John_Yossarian said:

Very , very pretty. Well done.

However I would love to see some graphical design hours go into an A20 nose position, and some form of navigators map where you can 'draw' on a map; be it just generic for all aircraft, or lovingly created as the relevant table or knees etc. 

I understand the need to keep things cutting edge in the graphics, but anything that adds to things to do other than throttle up and peow peow is golden for me.

100% behind the comment above on making the AI disenage too. Especially with the new damage model, it is creating some pretty annoying scenarios where a dieing aircraft can finish you off because it couldn't give a fig about its own life but you are trying to limp the kms to the front line.

I'd add in getting your wingmen to realise something is 'good as dead' too, as they often have better things to be doing than attacking my kill as it is finally going down, like clearing the one of my 6. (Yes I know there's a valid point about making sure things are dead, but any SP player must surely know what I mean).

AI sticking around and fighting to the death is, IIRC, at least somewhat dependent on settings in the mission for their priorities. 

25 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

AI sticking around and fighting to the death is, IIRC, at least somewhat dependent on settings in the mission for their priorities. 

Then the career mode mission generator should be changed accordingly and a documentation how to achieve the AI behavior needs to be provided for mission builders. 

Looks nice😋

What about tanks, new graphic affects to their interior?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Interesting, then I guess my request is if this could be changed somehow to include their damage status (and number of other friendlies present) as a changing variable.

But again on the subject of the diary, it is very, very pretty and well done.

Posted (edited)

These little refinements is what make a product from good to superb! Congrats Devs!

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, John_Yossarian said:

Interesting, then I guess my request is if this could be changed somehow to include their damage status (and number of other friendlies present) as a changing variable.

But again on the subject of the diary, it is very, very pretty and well done.

Stay on topic guys. Don't wander off into different topics please.

Jason

Posted (edited)

Pretty cool stuff I can't deny it's a step further into realism and immersion. The way bare metal skins looked like always bugged me to be honest.

Thanks for taking the time to do these lil vids Jason.

I can't help but hope that the patch that will introduce this will include some fixing for the other cool features that were recently added, that should calm all of the whining a bit including mine.

Have a nice may day and keep up the good work!

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

Posted (edited)

I was sceptical about the importance of the graphics changes, but seeing the reflections (Cockpit and outside) in motion I must admit its a great visual improvement.

Edited by 41Sqn_Banks

Looking nice, definitely adding immersion and the feeling of actually being in a cockpit.

I like the "claustrophobic" commentary from Jason. If that indeed is the feeling in 2D I can't wait to experience in VR, which is already pretty immersive as it is!

• Upvote 3

Nice.

With DR do refraction effect would be possible do implement without significant cost in game performance?

• Upvote 1

Very nice update!

Also, good shooting in the Thunderbolt!

Looks great cant wait to try this with VR 👍

• Like 1

I dont like claustrophobic feelings at all! But in this case it is welcome! 😂

Really brings out the bubble canopies! Impressive! I'm always struck by how subtle changes really change the experience. It is easy to forget how far the sim has come... it might be good to do a retrospective sometime on all the game engine updates over the years! Maybe a Christmas/New Years update in 2020/2021?

I’m ALL IN FOR REALISM. Excellent job! Just another immersion factor to an already awesome sim product.

This looks soooo COOL now, even more realistic than before !

I'm impressed !

Great job guys, thanks.

S!

I really hope we get clear, new scratchless canopies. The current ones with the horrible scratches everywhere, you almost cannot see out of the bloody things, and I keep jumping in panic because of them as they look like tracers in many cases.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Nice.

With DR do refraction effect would be possible do implement without significant cost in game performance?

It should reduce the CPU cost in order to raise the GPU cost 

Looks superb!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

Am I nuts in thinking that those annoying scratches all over the canopies are now gone?

That was the first thing I noticed. I do hope that they're gone - for good.

Posted (edited)

This is looking great, it'll be another step forward. The simulation is constantly progressing and always keeps getting modernized, incredible.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

46 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

S!

I really hope we get clear, new scratchless canopies. The current ones with the horrible scratches everywhere, you almost cannot see out of the bloody things, and I keep jumping in panic because of them as they look like tracers in many cases.

When we are having airplanes that are in perfect conditions, it should be normal that canopys glass is also in perfect condition with no war and tear, i never understod why we have to have scraches on them.

• Upvote 1

This looks awesome, superb job guys!

I try not to ask for much because you guys are already do an amazing job so just a thought here, would it be possible to have the exposed metal parts in the various cockpits reflective? I think that would help the immersion factor as much, if not more than this update.

Jason this is just beautiful. Excellent visual upgrade in quality. Plexiglas just feels right.

For the skin finally this wet looking reflection will be corrected. Thanks to all the dev team.

Is it correct that in the next update we will get cockpit and skin reflections implemented in all the available airplanes to date?

3 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Jason this is just beautiful. Excellent visual upgrade in quality. Plexiglas just feels right.

For the skin finally this wet looking reflection will be corrected. Thanks to all the dev team.

Is it correct that in the next update we will get cockpit and skin reflections implemented in all the available airplanes to date?

If I had a choice I would prefer to get all BOBP planes with new reflections in 1 or 2 weeks, and then wait for the rest of them in the next update.

Just now, WheelwrightPL said:

If I had a choice I would prefer to get all BOBP planes with new reflections in 1 or 2 weeks, and then wait for the rest of them in the next update.

Personally I would prefer first BOK planes, and because we all have different preferences better have them just all at once. 😁

Maybe it's just me but I am not seeing scratches in the plexi.  Have they been eliminated or reduced by this new technique?

Some excellent changes there guys, I particularly like the exterior look of the metal airframe now, the duller look seems a much more natural sheen, thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:drinks:

Can we have some news on our beloved Hurricane please, I need something to lift my spirits in these dark times.:cray:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Maybe it's just me but I am not seeing scratches in the plexi.  Have they been eliminated or reduced by this new technique?

Pretty sure I can see them from 2:42 on the right of the P-47 canopy, along with the finger prints.

Edited by kendo
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I think perhaps the deferred shading has made them appear somewhat more subdued, in the same way that the reflections on the wings and such are softer. Either way it seems they will be less disruptive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kendo said:

Pretty sure I can see them from 2:42 on the right of the P-47 canopy, along with the finger prints.

Ya, thanks, they're there but very different, not constant, only when viewed against the sun at certain angles.  Of course this may change with the final release.

• Sad 1

I think youtube downgrading quality has something to do with the scratches not being visible but i could be wrong.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

It should reduce the CPU cost in order to raise the GPU cost 

Everything that reduces CPU resources and transfers them to GPU is warmly welcome. This game seems too much CPU single thread performance dependent.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 3

The thing that jumped out to me regarding the new external shading and reflections is the flat black non-reflective paint on the top of the Jug's nose.  I mean, it looked FLAT, like totally really absolutely lifelike flat, not just black with some residue wetness. 

The video dev diary is also pretty cool and I hope is how the release of new collector planes will be announced - videos like that are gonna sell a ton of hurricanes and Yak-9/9T's as opposed to a written announcement and screenshots.   Sell the sizzle and not just the steak!

Great work guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!