New PWCG Issues Thread

PatrickAWlson

Cybermat47
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

352nd is a bad outfit because there is no good unmarked squadron skin.

I have a generic skin with the blue nose and tail of the 487th, I'll let you know when I find were I got it from. 

• Thanks 1

greybeard_52

Thanks Varibraun and Pat for your help and work.

Sandmarken
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The short version is posted in the original post.  The longer version is posted as a new post on page 38 of that thread.  From that post ...

Where did my favorite mod go?  if you don't see it then it is considered a "stock" modification and will always be there. The planes have more modifications than PWCG can handle visually.  The Pfalz alone has 9.  This new system auto adds the mods that most people will use anyway.  How many Allied pilots really refuse to use 150 octane fuel?  A further advantage is that the Ai flights will also have access to these mods, where before they did not.  The AI probably doesn't need a mirror but it can certainly use better gas.  Open to discussion as to which ones should or should not be automatically used.

I fly with a spitfire squad (66) and get the 150 fule as standar in september 44, that must be too early? I just uncheck it in the briefing for my self so no big deal. But it seems if I give my wingmen in the xiv e type wings they end up with no mods at all (also no e-wing) 

Maybe a bug? 

Edited by Sandmarken

PatrickAWlson
7 hours ago, Sandmarken said:

I fly with a spitfire squad (66) and get the 150 fule as standar in september 44, that must be too early? I just uncheck it in the briefing for my self so no big deal. But it seems if I give my wingmen in the xiv e type wings they end up with no mods at all (also no e-wing) 

Maybe a bug? 

My understanding is that 150 octane was available in September, so it is intentional. 

Sandmarken
14 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

My understanding is that 150 octane was available in September, so it is intentional. 

From what I have understood it wasnt common before late 44 or early 45, but maybe im wrong. I havent been digging really far into the subject.

PatrickAWlson
11 hours ago, Sandmarken said:

From what I have understood it wasnt common before late 44 or early 45, but maybe im wrong. I havent been digging really far into the subject.

Found this.  pretty in depth article on 150 octane fuel

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

8th AF started using it in August.  Didn't see anything for the 9th.  British started using it in September.  Probably not Sept 1 but maybe mid month.  If I was going to put an introduction date on it I would use early October.

Sandmarken
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Found this.  pretty in depth article on 150 octane fuel

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

8th AF started using it in August.  Didn't see anything for the 9th.  British started using it in September.  Probably not Sept 1 but maybe mid month.  If I was going to put an introduction date on it I would use early October.

Cool, thx I wil read it aswel 😄

DD_Fenrir
Posted (edited)

Pat, 150 Octane was in limited use by selected squadrons of Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB) from April of 1944, as a trials basis. More units switched to it as time rolled on and particularly as the V-1 offensive commenced. 2nd TAF units however did NOT use it, either when operating from the UK or the continent during 1944.

Indeed, when the V-1 campaign ended in September, ADGB units switched back to 130 Octane to make the interchange of units with 2nd TAF less complicated. Actual Squadron ORBs for 2nd TAF units only recount the switch to 150 Octane from January of 1945.

In USAAF, only 8th Air Force Units operated with 150 Octane; those of the 9th only with 130. When in December the 352nd and 361st were temporarily loaned from the 8th to the 9th, some sources indicate they switched to the downgraded fuel also.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Thanks 1

PatrickAWlson
2 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Pat, 150 Octane was in limited use by selected squadrons of Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB) from April of 1944, as a trials basis. More units switched to it as time rolled on and particularly as the V-1 offensive commenced. 2nd TAF units however did NOT use it, either when operating from the UK or the continent during 1944.

Indeed, when the V-1 campaign ended in September, ADGB units switched back to 130 Octane to make the interchange of units with 2nd TAF less complicated. Actual Squadron ORBs for 2nd TAF units only recount the switch to 150 Octane from January of 1945.

In USAAF, only 8th Air Force Units operated with 150 Octane; those of the 9th only with 130. When in December the 352nd and 361st were temporarily loaned from the 8th to the 9th, some sources indicate they switched to the downgraded fuel also.

Thanks.   

So now what?  I remember the uproar over 150 octane fuel.  If I take it away there will be a crowd with torches and pitchforks in front of my door.  Oh well ... maybe a "use historical availability" config.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

co199

I seem to remember at some point in this thread, someone posted the requirements for medals / awards...would it be possible to get a rundown of the general requirements for promotions and awards?

Cybermat47

@PatrickAWlson found the generic 487th FS (352nd FG) P-51 skin, the author is @Legioneod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f5tf5jc9q0ldae/P51D15NA_BlueNose.zip?dl=0

Also, I was doing some research into Spitfire squadrons, and found that No. 66, No. 326 Free French, and No. 403 RCAF SQNs never actually flew any Griffon-engined Spitfires, only Merlin-engined ones. It seems that they flew the Mk.IX and/or Mk.XVI in the BoBp timeframe.

No. 193 SQN, on the other hand, only ever flew the Typhoon in the BoBp timeframe. The Spitfire Mk. IX might arguably be a better stand-in than the Tempest, though, as it can carry the rockets that the Typhoon is famous for. 

For Mk.XIV squadrons, I think that No. 41 and No. 610 SQNs would be good choices. Both are pretty well known squadrons that flew the Mk.XIV on the continent, though they only deployed there in December 1944. A skin for No. 610 SQN is included in BoN by default, and @41Sqn_Riksen has already made a skinpack of No. 41 SQN Mk.XIVs, available on HSD. If you want to add another Canadian squadron, it seems that No. 402 RCAF flew the XIV in the Netherlands, starting sometime between September and October 1944.

Sources:

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/66_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/41_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/193_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/326_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/610_wwII.html

https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/history/rcaf-and-the-crucible-of-war/403-squadron/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/402_Squadron

• Like 1

PatrickAWlson
6 hours ago, Cybermat47 said:

@PatrickAWlson found the generic 487th FS (352nd FG) P-51 skin, the author is @Legioneod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f5tf5jc9q0ldae/P51D15NA_BlueNose.zip?dl=0

Also, I was doing some research into Spitfire squadrons, and found that No. 66, No. 326 Free French, and No. 403 RCAF SQNs never actually flew any Griffon-engined Spitfires, only Merlin-engined ones. It seems that they flew the Mk.IX and/or Mk.XVI in the BoBp timeframe.

No. 193 SQN, on the other hand, only ever flew the Typhoon in the BoBp timeframe. The Spitfire Mk. IX might arguably be a better stand-in than the Tempest, though, as it can carry the rockets that the Typhoon is famous for. 

For Mk.XIV squadrons, I think that No. 41 and No. 610 SQNs would be good choices. Both are pretty well known squadrons that flew the Mk.XIV on the continent, though they only deployed there in December 1944. A skin for No. 610 SQN is included in BoN by default, and @41Sqn_Riksen has already made a skinpack of No. 41 SQN Mk.XIVs, available on HSD. If you want to add another Canadian squadron, it seems that No. 402 RCAF flew the XIV in the Netherlands, starting sometime between September and October 1944.

Sources:

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/66_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/41_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/193_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/326_wwII.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/610_wwII.html

https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/history/rcaf-and-the-crucible-of-war/403-squadron/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/402_Squadron

Were IXs and XIVs mixed (currently that way in PWCG) or was it 100% replacement?  

10 hours ago, co199 said:

I seem to remember at some point in this thread, someone posted the requirements for medals / awards...would it be possible to get a rundown of the general requirements for promotions and awards?

Fighter pilots: number of victories for medals.  For allies number of victories in a single mission also counts to emulate heroism.  For promotions number of missions flown plays a larger role.

Bomber/ground attackers substitute ground victories. 

Those are the basics.

• Upvote 1

Cybermat47
12 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Were IXs and XIVs mixed (currently that way in PWCG) or was it 100% replacement?  

I haven’t found anything to suggest that IXs and XIVs were mixed. I would guess that Merlins and Griffons were kept in seperate squadrons to make logistics, maintenance, and formation flying easier.

PatrickAWlson
43 minutes ago, Cybermat47 said:

I haven’t found anything to suggest that IXs and XIVs were mixed. I would guess that Merlins and Griffons were kept in seperate squadrons to make logistics, maintenance, and formation flying easier.

I will change that in PWCG.  Appreciate the info.  

PWCG has a concept called archtype - i.e. Me109.  When new types within the archtype are introduced they are gradually peppered into the appropriate squadrons, so you can have G4s and G6s in the same unit.  If the archtype changes (109 to 190 for example) then the squadron completely reequips.  I put Spitfire XIV under the spitfire archtype.  I have to make it its own to avoid mixing.

• Upvote 2

22.Gr.CT.Ludovisi

Installed the latest version, new Bodenplatte / Interceptor campaign with Me 262 JV44. I generated 4 Strategic Interceptor type missions and once again no enemy aircraft (neither bombers nor other aircraft). I periodically checked for enemies with ctrl + F2 too, but nothing. It's a real shame, the Me 262 is practically unusable. I know that fixing this problem is not a priority but I hope that one day there will be a fix.

JG1_Jaus

Still hoping for some help with my stalled FC campaign.   Posted error files on 4/16 (p.21) 

41Sqn_Riksen
20 hours ago, Cybermat47 said:

A skin for No. 610 SQN is included in BoN by default, and @41Sqn_Riksen has already made a skinpack of No. 41 SQN Mk.XIVs, available on HSD.

Hey @Cybermat47

Thanks for recommending my skin pack. Please note that the current pack only contains the skins for 4 codes (N, V, X and Z) and 2 variants (one for the period between Sept. 44 to Dec 44. and another for Jan 45 onwards). I will be expanding the current pack during the next few weeks to include approximately 10-12 codes. Also note that Code B is already in game for Jan 45 onwards.

Hope that helps. S!

41Sqn_Riksen
On 5/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, 41Sqn_Riksen said:

Hey @Cybermat47

Thanks for recommending my skin pack. Please note that the current pack only contains the skins for 4 codes (N, V, X and Z) and 2 variants (one for the period between Sept. 44 to Dec 44. and another for Jan 45 onwards). I will be expanding the current pack during the next few weeks to include approximately 10-12 codes. Also note that Code B is already in game for Jan 45 onwards.

Hope that helps. S!

Be advised, 03 new skins have been added to the No. 41 Squadron RAF pack in case you need it (07 codes so far):

Click HERE to download

PatrickAWlson
On 4/16/2021 at 7:07 AM, JG1_Jaus said:

After half a dozen successful missions, the campaign I've been running for my squad just got hit with the 'unable to find a log set for your last mission' error.   I've attached the error log .txt and campaign zip file as specified by 'Report Error'.  Unfortunately, because I created a new campaign to run for the squad last night, the error log seems to be resaving the mission log from the new campaign and not the one with the problem.   The campaign I've attached is the one with the problem.    The campaign created last night is 'JG1 Campaign'.

How do I recover from this?    The 'Missions' page now only offers 'Combat Report', it does not offer the option to start or scrub a mission.   Is there a way to make PWCG 'forget' about this mission?

PWCGErrorLog.zip 606 B · 1 download 1917 Campaign202104160604240.zip 1.72 MB · 0 downloads

If PWCG is not offering the mission option it means that you are wounded.  If you feel that this is fair then take leave to heal.

<Campaign>->Activities->Leave

The leave page will tell you how many days are needed to heal.

If you want to erase the results then you can use the pilot admin page:

<Campaign>->Personnel->Administer Pilot

Select the pilot

Press activate pilot

If you choose to activate the pilot I would take one days leave just to clear out any activities related to the last campaign day.

bgreman

I'm getting a lot of planes being generated with null squadron codes.  At first I thought it was planes that were generated before I upgraded to the new version, but I've got new planes generating with a null code.  Attached my ErrorReport.Btunes1202105071105816.zip

PatrickAWlson
5 minutes ago, bgreman said:

I'm getting a lot of planes being generated with null squadron codes.  At first I thought it was planes that were generated before I upgraded to the new version, but I've got new planes generating with a null code.  Attached my ErrorReport.Btunes1202105071105816.zip

Seen the same.  On the to do list and will be taken care of in the next update.

Jeffon
Posted (edited)

I have similar issue to Spotni.

I reinstalled PWCG as I couldn't create a mission since the latest update, made sure startup.cfg had mission log enabled, verified integrity of game files on Steam, installed the latest Java version.

But same issue, I do have the plane for the mission and it is selected in "planes owned".

I don't know how I could take an error report because I don't have any error per se, Java does his thing but in-game in the folder PWCG there's no new mission (neither on the computer obviously).

EDIT: I tried a new campaign with the Spitfire and it works, it didn't work with the P-51D on American campaign, it's weird.

Edited by Jeffon

Retnek
Posted (edited)

Problem with results of the last Coop-mission. Mission went fine, logs were written, everything as always. But PWCG 12.1.2 took results of the mission before this one again. Ignored the most actual logs. Thx

Spit202105092305127.zip

Edited by Retnek
  • Upvote 1

Highwayman

Hey Pat, just a tiny little one that's seemed too minor to worry about, but the word "opportunity" is misspelt in the mission briefings for the generated missions 😊

• Thanks 1

PatrickAWlson

@No105_Swoose Thanks for the report.  I have a fix for it.  Will look to get a patch out later tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This is one of the more documented airfields that have problems with the AI taxi routines.

Edited by Madov
  • Thanks 1

Varibraun
26 minutes ago, Madov said:

This is one of the more documented airfields that have problems with the AI taxi routines.

Yes, as noted in the taxi thread, Davidovsky also has problems with runway starts too.  I think this one is problematic enough for @PatrickAWlson to rehome those squadrons in a future update until a solution is found.  I currently always use airstarts whenever I am flying a squadron based there.

If I want to continue flying with the same unit then I change to 'Runway Start' or 'Air Start' as soon as I detect a problem with the taxi routine. If you read this Patrick, I would be happy to work with you in reconfiguring airfields in order to address the issue. I am happy enough in the ME to be able to offer support here if you feel that you would like to take me up on this. I would also be happy to edit the a/c .json file for each aircraft to readdress the cruising speeds as many of them seem to be somewhat misaligned.

greybeard_52 has provided a working document to begin with.

• Upvote 1

jeanba

Thank you all for the info

At least I can continue my campaign 

That1TrainsGirl

Hi! I've a bug to report.

In Flying Circus, flying a career as the Halberstadt CL.II, most of my AI wingmen will kill themselves on takeoff. So far, only one or two friendly aircraft will take off with me successfully. Adverse weather makes it worse, but clear weather still has the same issue. Video and screenshots/log files forthcoming. Fuel load and bomb load present and nominal/set by mission.

Highwayman
Posted (edited)

I mentioned it briefly before, but... When using PWCG to generate vs campaigns, the claims screen only allows aircraft from the side opposite to the referenced player to be claimed. Sometimes you can work around it, but occasionally you cannot. Right now we are well into our 2 vs 2 P51 vs 190D9 campaign over Bodenplatte and for the most part (around 30 missions so far), we've found that if you can claim a similar sized aircraft, you'll be credited with the actual aircraft you downed.

Issue details

The reference player is a P51 pilot, thus when we file the combat report, on the claims screen we have the choice of claiming any Axis aircraft that featured in the mission. So, if one of the Dora pilots brings down a spitfire, that player would claim any fighter sized aircraft, such as a 190D9. In the Detailed report you would see that pilot would be credited with a Spitfire and the chalkboard would reflect the correct numbers if you switched the reference player to a Luftwaffe pilot. Yesterday however was the first time we didn't have a comparable aircraft to claim. My wingman and I in the 190D9's came across a flight of 8 A-20's and managed to down 6 of them before we had to break off and go home. At the end of the mission, our only choices on the claim screen were 190A8, 190D9 and Me262's. I chose to claim 3 and 3 262's for us both as they classify as a medium size, but all 6 claims were denied.

Requested solution

If the campaign can have an option for VS missions alongside the current Single or Coop to trigger a new behavior for the claims board, or could detect that players feature on both sides, allow those players to claim kills from the aircraft on their opposing side, not the reference pilots only.

I realize that our group was the only response you had when you asked if anyone was using it in a PvP style, so it won't be a high priority, but I thought I'd request it anyway as now we've discovered it, we love it!

Edited by Highwayman

flugkapitan
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Perhaps a small bug, or I might be missing something, but I've had a career going in II./JG51. Started out in the BF109 F2 and progressed to the BF109 F4. It is now 04.04.1942 in the career and when I generate a mission, I'm told that the BF109 G2 is the aircraft that I should be flying. However, when I launch IL2 Great Battles and load the mission that was generated by PWCG, the only aircraft option is the BF109 F4.

Granted, the F4 is arguably the better mount at that point in time, just wondering what might be going on.

Oh, and I have purchased over the years most the offerings, at least regarding the maps/campaigns and the planes of the Axis powers (including the collector planes).

Cheers,

Scott

OK, so I checked the PWCG GB to see what assets were available and which Luftwaffe units were flying what at the time of my flight. There were only a couple of G2's available and those were being used by another unit.

Hopefully, more G2's will be coming online soon in the campaign.

Still not sure why my career is saying my unit is flying the G2's when there are not many available.

Edited by flugkapitan
New info

jeanba
On 5/28/2021 at 5:19 PM, Madov said:

If I want to continue flying with the same unit then I change to 'Runway Start' or 'Air Start' as soon as I detect a problem with the taxi routine.

How do you_ do this ?

I cannot find the option in Missions or PWCG ?

Thank you in advance

Varibraun
59 minutes ago, jeanba said:

How do you_ do this ?

I cannot find the option in Missions or PWCG ?

Advanced Config - Mission Limits - Start Type:

image.thumb.png.2bbceeac57599da1c4acbd7a884743f7.png

• Thanks 1

IV./JG51-A_Schauer

Applied the latest update and now the mission button is acting finnicky. It'll work after a few clicks but the mission itself fails to spawn any enemies-the error file is below.

PWCGErrorLog.txt

TheSNAFU

Pat, using the new version I don’t see any smoke or fires around. Setting is default. Also not seeing AAA and there are no structures at all on the airfields I am flying out of or over (reported from prior version) Not seeing many ground units particularly at the front. Flying with 352 P51’s. Two of three missions had good air battles, one had no action which is perfectly fine. No GUI issues so far. 

Can provide files if it’s helpful. If so let me know which ones. 

Thanks.