Rakanisheu

HS-129 Ground strafing help/tips

Posted (edited)

I am using the duck a lot and I am enjoying it. However I cant seem to do level strafing attacks. If I try to get the cross-hair anywhere near the horizon my plane is heading for the ground at a high rate of knots! Thus I can only really use it in a shallow dive and even then its a bit tricky. I have been watching The Air Combat Tutorial Library on the 129 and in his video he is zipping around at low altitudes with his cross-hair roughly at the horizon. It almost feels like either my seat is too low or the cross-hair isn't set correctly.

I have attached a screenshot from the tutorial video of what I mean. If I tried that I'd be eating the dirt after about 2 seconds. I am having decent success with the aircraft but I'd like a few more options with it. Anybody got any ideas?

Capture.JPG

Edited by Rakanisheu

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rakanisheu said:

I am using the duck a lot and I am enjoying it. However I cant seem to do level strafing attacks. If I try to get the cross-hair anywhere near the horizon my plane is heading for the ground at a high rate of knots! Thus I can only really use it in a shallow dive and even then its a bit tricky. I have been watching The Air Combat Tutorial Library on the 129 and in his video he is zipping around at low altitudes with his cross-hair roughly at the horizon. It almost feels like either my seat is too low or the cross-hair isn't set correctly.

I have attached a screenshot from the tutorial video of what I mean. If I tried that I'd be eating the dirt after about 2 seconds. I am having decent success with the aircraft but I'd like a few more options with it. Anybody got any ideas?

Use takeoff flaps to help.  You can even use full flaps to get completely horizontal. Watch out for overheating.  Use sparingly and keep your speed up.

Edited by Plurp
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

OK just had a quick flight, Flaps help a lot! Thanks for this, I was starting to go a bit crazy over it!

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 5:35 AM, Rakanisheu said:

Capture.JPG

What @Plurp said. I believe I mention in that video that I'm using flaps which allows that lower nose attitude during a pass.

Edited by Requiem
  • Like 1

Also remember that the Duckling loves to be slow. When I enter the start of my pass I'm at about 200kph; when I pull up after shooting, rarely am I even over 300kph. Use Requiems distance gage guide for the Revi gunsight to know when to start shooting.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips, the flaps was the final piece of the puzzle. Got 14 Ground targets last night on a multiplayer server in one sortie. Much easier now!

• Like 1

Glad to see you’re enjoying the 129. Just had a few of my first sorties in it as well. 

My question to anyone who can answer: Do you set any elevator trim to aid in strafing ground targets? 

On 5/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, Requiem said:

What @Plurp said. I believe I mention in that video that I'm using flaps which allows that lower nose attitude during a pass.

Like a Su-25? Interesting. Any evidence of this historically? Not that I think we have to limit our flying to exact historical techniques - I'm just curious.

12 hours ago, Coleman said:

Glad to see you’re enjoying the 129. Just had a few of my first sorties in it as well. 

My question to anyone who can answer: Do you set any elevator trim to aid in strafing ground targets? 

I constantly adjust according to speed for a slight nose heavy trim.  This way I have slight back pressure on the stick ready for the pullout.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, Avimimus said:

Like a Su-25? Interesting. Any evidence of this historically? Not that I think we have to limit our flying to exact historical techniques - I'm just curious.

I try and show things as they were done historically where possible but for this technique I never found out if they used flaps. Without using the flaps though you just don't have the right pitch angle during the dive that lets you fire effectively at a target (in my opinion), so using that initial stage of flaps just made sense because the approaches were so much more stable and consistent when using them. I wouldn't necessarily recommend using flaps during attack runs with other aircraft though.

Posted (edited)

Well, Just tried it flaps 50%. T34 tanks are indestructible, damage set 50% and vulnerable on. Somethings wrong with these tanks ??

Tried damage 25% and damage 85% for the T34s. I am sure i hit them, but they just continue. BTW they just move through the trees on their route. Somethings wrong?

Waypoints are set to medium ... i give up.

PS my uncle imported Moskovich cars in the 60-ies, they were also indestructible he bragged. 

Edited by jollyjack