Migoto Is a Cheat. Devs please Ban this!

This mod is an exploit, for sure. All the more reasons to move the spotting issue as one of the top priorities for the next few patches.

1 hour ago, pfrances said:

Same here but I, personally, think multiplayer is the least important aspect of this, or any, sim so don't give a hoot about "cheats" or "exploits". For others though, this is a huge deal.

Don't go there, please. There are many of us here on this forum that play this and other flight sims exclusively in MP and can't be bothered by SP.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
44 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Honest question, no snark: as a pilot, would you expect to be able to see a WWII fighter sized plane on the ground 50 km away IRL? I don't think I could even if I knew where to look, but i have not tried to do much real life spotting from the air. Maybe 20 km in the air, which on occasion in game I can see even on a small-ish monitor. I assume a trained pilot has a lot more skill at seeing contacts IRL than a layperson.

It's all good, my snark detector is being quiet :)Spotting in RL is so much easier and more natural than what we have to do in the sims. I've spotted light GA airplanes doing pattern work when I've flown near airports while over 30,000ft high which is about 9km...good luck doing that here. 50km is definitely a long way to see airplanes and I do think that is excessive, but at 50km away you're not exactly in a position to do anything about it and if we had a better system of spotting anyway it's kind of made redundant because everyone would have a much better chance of detecting people coming towards them. The last few sessions of MP for me I've done several "bogey gathering turns" looking directly where the guy should be (either at 7 or 5 o'clock) but I barely see them until they're inside of 1km about to start shooting at me which is ridiculous at the regular field of view. We must be able to spot aircraft without needing to zoom everywhere. The zoom is compensating for lack of pixel density compared to what our eyes see, so we need a decent scaling system and more contrast on the airplanes in general so we don't need to reduce the field of view by zooming at all when scanning for targets. Right now this mod may be a problem, but long term if we get visibility addressed I don't see it as a problem. I don't believe it's worth throwing dev resources at this right now when the system could change to negate it anyway.

From another thread I wrote this about visibility:

"Assuming high environmental visibility, which is what we have in the sim, we should be seeing fighter sized targets easily to 5nm (9km), but out to a max of around 7nm (13km). When I was learning to fly and while flight instructing I would not only see small general aviation airplanes at 5nm routinely,  but regain the tally quickly after looking away. In the airliner I fly now I have no problems seeing planes like the CRJ, E175, B737, A320, etc at rear aspect etc out to 15-17nm (27-37km). A little further if they're turning and showing greater planform. C17, A380, etc can be seen even further still. Yes, of course they're bigger but I'm seeing them much further and wouldn't expect to see fighters out that far personally"

This is not directed at you Kestrel, but keeping the status quo of how visibility works now in the name of "realism" is an invalid argument in my opinion.

• Upvote 9
12 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

This is why I have been saying for a while that the Devs needed to add a higher VR zoom to the game.  At least to the level of screen users as a bare minimum. (Right now the in-game VR zoom doesn't even let you zoom as much as on monitor which adds a handicap on-top of a handicap)

What you are not getting from 2d monitor comparisons of zoom is that in VR you have a much lower apparent resolution and IDing is much harder than on a screen. Having flown both VR and monitor, I find that a 5x zoom in VR barely allows you to ID contacts enough to be remotely competitive compared to how you can ID on a screen.

10X might be a bit much, but 7-8X would probably be a nice, comparable zoom to level the playing field between monitor and VR players.  Devs need to just add this to the base game and block it for non-VR users. 

DCS recently added two levels of zoom for VR. If IL2 did this it'd make the mod redundant IMO, (Apart from the other neat stuff like one eye only reticles etc.)

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

It's all good, my snark detector is being quiet :)Spotting in RL is so much easier and more natural than what we have to do in the sims. I've spotted light GA airplanes doing pattern work when I've flown near airports while over 30,000ft high which is about 9km...good luck doing that here. 50km is definitely a long way to see airplanes and I do think that is excessive, but at 50km away you're not exactly in a position to do anything about it and if we had a better system of spotting anyway it's kind of made redundant because everyone would have a much better chance of detecting people coming towards them. The last few sessions of MP for me I've done several "bogey gathering turns" looking directly where the guy should be (either at 7 or 5 o'clock) but I barely see them until they're inside of 1km about to start shooting at me which is ridiculous at the regular field of view. We must be able to spot aircraft without needing to zoom everywhere. The zoom is compensating for lack of pixel density compared to what our eyes see, so we need a decent scaling system and more contrast on the airplanes in general so we don't need to reduce the field of view by zooming at all when scanning for targets. Right now this mod may be a problem, but long term if we get visibility addressed I don't see it as a problem. I don't believe it's worth throwing dev resources at this right now when the system could change to negate it anyway.

From another thread I wrote this about visibility:

"Assuming high environmental visibility, which is what we have in the sim, we should be seeing fighter sized targets easily to 5nm (9km), but out to a max of around 7nm (13km). When I was learning to fly and while flight instructing I would not only see small general aviation airplanes at 5nm routinely,  but regain the tally quickly after looking away. In the airliner I fly now I have no problems seeing planes like the CRJ, E175, B737, A320, etc at rear aspect etc out to 15-17nm (27-37km). A little further if they're turning and showing greater planform. C17, A380, etc can be seen even further still. Yes, of course they're bigger but I'm seeing them much further and wouldn't expect to see fighters out that far personally"

This is not directed at you Kestrel, but keeping the status quo of how visibility works now in the name of "realism" is an invalid argument in my opinion.

Seconded.

13 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

This mod is an exploit, for sure. All the more reasons to move the spotting issue as one of the top priorities for the next few patches.

Don't go there, please. There are many of us here on this forum that play this and other flight sims exclusively in MP and can't be bothered by SP.

Sorry, I thought the topic of this thread was imposing our personal wants and needs on others.

• Haha 6

I think he'd have been better off framing it as "look guys, you can use this wonderful mod which makes VR somewhere close to monitor levels of competitive, on a monitor, please make it so you can't use it on a monitor because it can be a tiny bit of a hack, please don't take this as me thinking VR + 3dmigoto gives you god like spotting ability."

• Upvote 1

Who in VR uses zoom for spotting? You find/spot a contact without zoom and then try to glean the ID of the plane from the single pixel at long range and 3 pixels when closer.

Searching for contacts with zoom on is a good way to make yourself sick.

I personally run ingame VR zoom + 1.5x Migoto zoom. Maybe I should bump it up to 5x Migoto or find a way to make it just 3x.

The real solution though is for the Devs to implement more inbuilt VR zoom, something that has been requested for 3.5 years now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Worst part is people can’t fly without this and others can’t fly with it. 
This topic is for fps players not pilots. 
I personally give a shit, I fly VR , I get killed over targets by pilots with impressive patience waiting on a lower airplane coming along and place himself where no zoom would help. 
MP servers is to me not the way forward in this game, just looking at this topic it seems that the few doing this of historical interest simply are very few. I love flying this game in VR, no place else you get easily access to many ww 2 pit‘s

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Thanks for the reply. The ranges you said for fighter-sized targets seem pretty reasonable to me. I have similar issues in terms of spotting bandits in the middle distance. Farther out is often easier, it seems the contrast is actually better on far contacts than near ones due to how reflections are modeled. Maybe the upcoming deferred shading will help. 

As far as the mod, certainly it seems a large number of people need it for plane ID help and to improve VR quality of life, so until general visibility is addressed I think it is a 'necessary evil' of sorts. If the cost of this is a few metagamers using it as an exploit, I'll take it. banning it or forcing servers to allow mods-on to have it is either going to fragment the community further or force the bigger servers to allow more mods on so VR players will play, which increases the likelihood of more serious exploits. 

• Upvote 1

VR user here (rift S)!

I don't use this mod and i get jumped a lot, switching from monitor and tir to VR was huge disadvantage but i prefer immersion over score.

That siad i have few questions for those VR users who use this mod;

1.Does it help with invisible planes at ranges of 2-5km cos many times (over 90% cases) i see a plane than when getting closer (1-5km) plane become invisible, and many times i see flak shooting but no planes.

2. In VR plane prop makes planes invisible if plane is about ~1+km away, so is removing the prop separate mod or is it all in one mod (zoom+no-prop).

MP in VR is really challenging and i now really do consider using this mod but i also see it as a cheating when monitor guys using this mod as seen from posts above.

But still i'd rather VR users stay in MP at cost of it!

I also recall many monitor players reporting when someone and in numbers is taking off from far bases and always wondered how the heck they know it.

Best solution would be if devs made it officialy equal for VR guys with implementing better vr zoom and adjusting prop filter.

2 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Thanks for the reply. The ranges you said for fighter-sized targets seem pretty reasonable to me. I have similar issues in terms of spotting bandits in the middle distance. Farther out is often easier, it seems the contrast is actually better on far contacts than near ones due to how reflections are modeled. Maybe the upcoming deferred shading will help. 

As far as the mod, certainly it seems a large number of people need it for plane ID help and to improve VR quality of life, so until general visibility is addressed I think it is a 'necessary evil' of sorts. If the cost of this is a few metagamers using it as an exploit, I'll take it. banning it or forcing servers to allow mods-on to have it is either going to fragment the community further or force the bigger servers to allow more mods on so VR players will play, which increases the likelihood of more serious exploits. 

Bingo

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

1.Does it help with invisible planes at ranges of 2-5km cos many times (over 90% cases) i see a plane than when getting closer (1-5km) plane become invisible, and many times i see flak shooting but no planes.

2. In VR plane prop makes planes invisible if plane is about ~1+km away, so is removing the prop separate mod or is it all in one mod (zoom+no-prop).

1. No.

2. You get the choice. I leave the prop on. The dev's implemented a way to improve the prop for ASW/Motion smoothing using game config - but I never run the headset in that mode anyway, i hate any ghosting or warping of the cockpit frames.

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I also recall many monitor players reporting when someone and in numbers is taking off from far bases and always wondered how the heck they know it.

Best solution would be if devs made it officialy equal for VR guys with implementing better vr zoom and adjusting prop filter.

You're going to have to trust me that I don't use this mod with a monitor, but you can see stuff from a long way, (ie the distance demonstrated by OP) even without the mod. The mod doesn't render anything that's not rendered in the first place.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

1. No.

2. You get the choice. I leave the prop on.

Props are rendered differently in VR anyway since a couple of updates ago. There's a line in setup.cfg which you can monkey around with.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
Edit that's not for your benifit Trip.

I think that are good news for all the comunity to know the mods that are out there. Now is up on the Devs and Server Admins to decide what type of Game/Sim they whant.

Don’t kill the messenger, it’s good for all to have the information.

:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

DCS recently added two levels of zoom for VR. If IL2 did this it'd make the mod redundant IMO, (Apart from the other neat stuff like one eye only reticles etc.)2. 

Really?  Where is it set up?  Pm if necessary.  Ty!

Edit:. Ribbon, you asked about disappearing planes.

1.  It happens on both VR and monitor.  Seems to happen when the model updates- the visual fidelity drops massively at that range resulting in disappearing planes.  In my experience anyway.

Disabling the prop was a thing for VR users particularly on the rift if I recall, getting warping with the prop enabled.  This issue has long since been addressed and now it's a preference thing as opposed to a "have to have it disabled for VR to work on my rig".

Edited by JG51_Beazil
1 minute ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Props are rendered differently in VR anyway since a couple of updates ago. There's a line in setup.cfg which you can monkey around with.

Yeah, ninja edited my reply before I read yours.

I don't think the prop removal is required anymore but others may think otherwise as I never use it anyway.

2 minutes ago, E69_Gote said:

I think that are good news for all the comunity to know the mods that are out there. Now is up on the Devs and Server Admins to decide what type of Game/Sim they whant.

Don’t kill the messenger, it’s good for all to have the information.

:)

he's not a messenger, stop sugar coating.  This mod existed for the past 4 years in the Mods section. 

He's doing it for a purpose. F*%k that purpose.

• Upvote 1

The reason this mod exists is because this sim is lacking in visuals related to the spotting system. If the dots / contacts were rendered no matter the zoom level, there wouldn't be a need for such a mod, and those that do use it wouldn't have an advantage. It is as simple as that.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

The reason this mod exists is because this sim is lacking in visuals related to the spotting system. If the dots / contacts were rendered no matter the zoom level, there wouldn't be a need for such a mod, and those that do use it wouldn't have an advantage. It is as simple as that.

I know you're on the VR side, but it's a wrong statement.  The mod is not used for spotting.  It is used for ID-ing.

Can it be used for spotting? Technically yes, but practically no. The zoomed-in area is extremely small in its cross section, i.e. it'll be akin of scanning 1900x1200 pixel canvas using 10x10 pixels at a time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Agreed.  And we all know they are working on it.  Let's be patient and enjoy all that is right in the meantime.  🙂

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

1. No.

2. You get the choice. I leave the prop on.

Than it's not much of an use to me since i even don't use ingame zoom unless searching for ships and ground targets, maybe only removing prop would help in my case.

I hope devs will solve visibility issues of invisible planes and LoD where planes become invisible in ranges 2-5km.

And those disappearing ground units.

As far on the subject, devs should tweak plane/g.units rendering and LoD taking in mind hardware limitations and remove zoom completley.

42 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

1) So you have no frame of reference of how it is used in VR.

2) you can't even replicate on the monitor what we have in VR to actually understand the predicament the VR players are in

3) You've used this tool on the monitor and immediately decided that it's a "cheat" .. on the monitor..

4) The tool was created specifically for VR. But you don't give 2 shits about it.. because it's a "cheat" .. on the monitor.

Do you see the break down of your logic here?

By the same rationale I should start just as stupid topic as yours:   "TrackIR is a a cheat! Players can do snap-to-6 and fly backwards evading the pursuer's shots! We can't do that in VR!"... ?

You simply don't care about VR users and have no desire to learn about the environment and the platform. Right back at ya, I really don't care what you think.

I am on a Squad and some of the people on my squar are using Vr. They told me and alerted me about that. 

There you can see A guy playing VR using migoto and tons of tweks on the game colors to have more contrast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kr_ar1ytSM

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Here are two screenshots which depict the 2D zoom issue.  Click on the image for full screen image.   Resolution of the monitor is 2560X1440.  Highest graphic settings enabled.

In the first picture there are 2 flights of 4 aircraft at about 8km.  They are located just to the left of the partial circle of the reticle.

Normal 2D Full Zoom:

2D Full Zoom - In game

This is the exact same screen, only additionally zooming in with high zoom from 3Dmigoto mod.

Normal 2D Full Zoom and High Zoom 3Dmigoto:

2D High Zoom - 3Dmigoto

this is an extremely misleading representation of what is actually happening in game during the competitive matches in VR.

The ONLY reason why you zoomed in to those aircrafts is because you saw the icons seeing that something is there and you decided to ID them.

However, without the said Icons you won't even see these planes in VR. So you won't use the zoom as there'd be absolutely nothing to ID.

So does it zoom in that far?  Yes. 

Does its application work the same way on no-icon servers? Absolutely NOT.

If we are discussing the application of the mod - let's stick to that.

7 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

I am on a Squad and some of the people on my squar are using Vr. They told me and alerted me about that. 

There you can see A guy playing VR using migoto and tons of tweks on the game colors to have more contrast

you can do the same thing using re-shade on the monitors.  Yet, somehow, nobody is screaming that it's a "cheat" even though you can drastically modify the contrast ratio and color saturation using it.

Edited by Count_de_Money
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Isn't that a Playstation VR set? Anyway his other streams seem normal. Looks like a bug or incorrect gamma setting.

I can't believe he even played on the first video, that was the ugliest looking game I've seen in a long time. 

6 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

So because you heard from a squaddie who saw something you didn't, and someone in YouTube spent time tweaking their game, it should be banned. 

Bravo.

Stop being a self centered numb nut.  Go go "mod up" and demonstrate your effortless superiority while you "exploit the userbase" and post the vid.

Or don't.

10 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

this is an extremely misleading representation of what is actually happening in game during the competitive matches in VR.

The ONLY reason why you zoomed in to those aircrafts is because you saw the icons seeing that something is there and you decided to ID them.

However, without the said Icons you won't even see these planes in VR. So you won't use the zoom as there'd be absolutely nothing to ID.

So does it zoom in that far?  Yes. 

Does its application work the same way on no-icon servers? Absolutely NOT.

If we are discussing the application of the mod - let's stick to that.

To further this argument. Does it zoom in that far?  yes... Does it look even remotely that clear in a VR headset?... no. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Está todo bien, mi detector de ruido está en silencio :)Detectar en RL es mucho más fácil y más natural que lo que tenemos que hacer en los sims. He visto aviones ligeros de GA haciendo trabajos de patrones cuando he volado cerca de aeropuertos con más de 30,000 pies de altura, que son unos 9 km ... buena suerte haciendo eso aquí. Definitivamente, 50 km es un largo camino para ver aviones y creo que es excesivo, pero a 50 km de distancia no estás exactamente en condiciones de hacer nada al respecto y, si de todos modos tuviéramos un mejor sistema de detección, sería redundante porque todos tendrían una mejor oportunidad de detectar a las personas que se acercan a ellos. En las últimas sesiones de MP para mí, he hecho varios "turnos de reunión bogey" mirando directamente dónde debería estar el chico (ya sea a las 7 o 5 en punto), pero apenas los veo hasta que " Estoy dentro de 1 km a punto de comenzar a dispararme, lo cual es ridículo en el campo de visión normal. Debemos poder detectar aviones sin necesidad de hacer zoom en todas partes. El zoom compensa la falta de densidad de píxeles en comparación con lo que ven nuestros ojos, por lo que necesitamos un sistema de escala decente y más contraste en los aviones en general, por lo que no necesitamos reducir el campo de visión al hacer zoom al escanear para objetivos. En este momento, este mod puede ser un problema, pero a largo plazo si abordamos la visibilidad, no lo veo como un problema. No creo que valga la pena lanzar recursos de desarrollo en este momento, cuando el sistema podría cambiar para negarlo de todos modos. Por lo tanto, necesitamos un sistema de escala decente y más contraste en los aviones en general, por lo que no necesitamos reducir el campo de visión al hacer zoom al escanear en busca de objetivos. En este momento, este mod puede ser un problema, pero a largo plazo si abordamos la visibilidad, no lo veo como un problema. No creo que valga la pena lanzar recursos de desarrollo en este momento, cuando el sistema podría cambiar para negarlo de todos modos. Por lo tanto, necesitamos un sistema de escala decente y más contraste en los aviones en general, por lo que no necesitamos reducir el campo de visión al hacer zoom al escanear en busca de objetivos. En este momento, este mod puede ser un problema, pero a largo plazo si abordamos la visibilidad, no lo veo como un problema. No creo que valga la pena lanzar recursos de desarrollo en este momento, cuando el sistema podría cambiar para negarlo de todos modos.

Desde otro hilo escribí esto sobre visibilidad:

"Suponiendo una alta visibilidad ambiental, que es lo que tenemos en el simulador, deberíamos ver objetivos de tamaño de caza fácilmente a 5 nm (9 km), pero a un máximo de alrededor de 7 nm (13 km). Cuando estaba aprendiendo a volar y mientras vuelo instruyendo que no solo vería pequeños aviones de aviación general a 5 nm de forma rutinaria, sino que recuperaría la cuenta rápidamente después de mirar hacia otro lado. En el avión que vuelo ahora no tengo problemas para ver aviones como el CRJ, E175, B737, A320, etc. a 15-17 nm (27-37 km). Un poco más si están girando y muestran una mayor forma de plano. C17, A380, etc., se pueden ver aún más lejos. Sí, por supuesto, son más grandes pero los estoy viendo mucho más lejos y no esperaría ver combatientes tan lejos personalmente "

Esto no está dirigido a usted Kestrel, pero mantener el status quo de cómo funciona la visibilidad ahora en nombre del "realismo" es un argumento no válido en mi opinión.

Secundado +1

Message to developers:

1- Zoom VR expanded.

2- Better adjustment of contact scale when using the zoom

With these changes no one would use 3DMIGOTO, and this thread would no longer make sense.

Edited by Ala13_UnopaUno_VR
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

To further this argument. Does it zoom in that far?  yes... Does it look even remotely that clear in a VR headset?... no. 

Does it zoom that far though? Talon called it earlier, but didn't he zoom in using full 2D zoom first? VR doesn't get the same level of zoom as 2D.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

I know you're on the VR side, but it's a wrong statement.  The mod is not used for spotting.  It is used for ID-ing.

Can it be used for spotting? Technically yes, but practically no. The zoomed-in area is extremely small in its cross section, i.e. it'll be akin of scanning 1900x1200 pixel canvas using 10x10 pixels at a time.

I am still using TrackIR with the 144Hz panel. This still gives me the convenience of using a keyboard. :)

That being said, three of the squad mates do use VR so my impressions are based on their first hand experiences. Because of that, I value the unmatched immersion it gives to the user and for that I am on the VR side.

I agree the mod isn't practical for spotting, but due to the lack of a better solution it is also used for that purpose.

Other spectrum of this problem is that without this mod VR users are blind as bats (even more so than us plebs on 2D screens). Even when they spot something, they can't ID it until very very close to the contact in question.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
7 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Does it zoom that far though? Talon called it earlier, but didn't he zoom in using full 2D zoom first? VR doesn't get the same level of zoom as 2D.

Migoto is capable of setting a 10x zoom, so yes, its possible. But no one uses it for spotting... they use it to help ID an already spotted contact in their sub-monitor resolution, fuzzy VR headsets. 

I think in VR a 7-8X zoom would be a comparable zoom to what monitor players can zoom to on screens.

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

It doesn't zoom this far because the FOV is modified differently in binocular displays. Also, using both zooms at once causes the game to move your "eyes" laterally to places they aren't in real life and let me tell you this is not a comfortable experience.

36 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

he's not a messenger, stop sugar coating.  This mod existed for the past 4 years in the Mods section. 

He's doing it for a purpose. F*%k that purpose.

Dude, you need to chill down.  

He was talking about 2d screen users, taking advantage of a tool, created as a workaround for shortcomings of the first generation VR headsets.  You can scream until you a re blue in your face. He has a point. 

I understand your frustration. You bought the first generation, expensive, VR headset and you found out there are big shortcomings in how they interact with the game and how they are supported by games. 

Your frustration and anger should be directed at the company that made your headset, at the game developers,...or maybe at yourself, for buying into a technology that is not matured or standardized yet, not at the guy pointing out a clear exploit.

This tool, if used by a 2d screen user, is an exploit. The fact that it existed for four years in the "mods" section is another clue.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2