Too late for today, if we don't see it tomorrow we won't see it this week.

Next Tuesday, guaranteed! The Bureau of Rectally Extracted Estimates (BREE) has never* been wrong before!

*not meant to be taken as a statement of fact

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, keeno said:

This must be one of the most hotly anticipated planes so far............. or is that just me!?

It is not just you Sir. I have no idea how the P40 won the poll against the Hurricane, way back when it was presented as a choice to the community. I have been waiting for the Hawker Hurricane since BOS was fixed from the original debacle release.

S!Blade<><

3 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

I have no idea how the P40 won the poll against the Hurricane, way back when it was presented as a choice to the community. 

Because the P-40 is a cooler, sexier plane and more people wanted it? 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

The RAF considered totally replacing the Hurricane with the P40.

I've always wondered how the Hawk 87 would have performed with the 2 speed/2stage supercharged version of the Merlin, or even a 2 speed/2 stage unit on the Allison, as the Allison was not a bad engine at all, just not optimized for high altitudes.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The RAF considered totally replacing the Hurricane with the P40.

I've always wondered how the Hawk 87 would have performed with the 2 speed/2stage supercharged version of the Merlin, or even a 2 speed/2 stage unit on the Allison, as the Allison was not a bad engine at all, just not optimized for high altitudes.

The Allison was/is an indestructible  workhorse (a tractor engine to boot) but yeah, not a high alt unit.

One of these days I’d like to build a campaign around the P-40 should we get the PTO. At the very least put some time into flying it - even in Russia maybe.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1
On 8/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, Zeev said:

I have watched a gameplay video of an arcade WWII game (the first part, when you travel on bicycle and on foot is a very original idea, but the flight is very arcadey.

As bicycle riding simulator this 303 game looks OK, now as "combat flight game" is very poor. 😜

7 hours ago, JLean said:

This has been a long wait and still continues...but this book has been good for killing time while waiting.

71090232_ace107.jpg.b0aac77b8fa7797eef557ec1a4ac4440.jpg

I also recently added this one to to my Osprey Aces collection too specifically to get ready for the Hurri, its a good read!

11 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Totally agree! But I tend to place the Hurricane and P40 in the same under-dog, "work horse" catagory. (and maybe the LaGG-3). 

• Upvote 2
57 minutes ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Ugliest allied plane of the war. Swollen thyroid Tempest is a close second. 

And yet the Hurricane killed more jerries than the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain... They must have had a hell of amount of fun when they had their 'Stuka parties'  (help yourself everyone)...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

And the Winner Is:

- the Duck.jpg

That is a joke of an aircraft isn't it lol, you just get the impression when designing it some completely bizarre assumptions were made...

345. Must accommodate wearing of oversize top hats at all times.

346. Must incorporate a fixed umbrella for VIP exit on red carpets.

347. Must suit the personality and style of Paddington Bear and friends.

348. Must attract theatrical performances and laughter from over a 3 mile radius.

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

And yet the Hurricane killed more jerries than the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain... They must have had a hell of amount of fun when they had their 'Stuka parties'  (help yourself everyone)...

Exactly.

The Hurricane not only took the lion's share of kills in the greatest air battle in history, it's also got a bitchin' cool name. 

Hurricane :cool:

Bring it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Ugliest allied plane of the war. Swollen thyroid Tempest is a close second. 

Ha, I respectfully disagree.

I kind of like the distinctive Hawker tail shapes. They're virtually unchanged all the way back to their biplane designs. Take a good look at the Hawker Hart, for instance, and I think you'll see a pretty strong resemblance to the Hurricane in both the tail and nose. It's a retro look, but again, one I rather like.

In terms of other planes that aren't known for their looks, I think the P-47's a pretty damn fine looking plane. The wing shape, the tail shape; and the razorback is a little more aggressively attractive than the bubble canopy.

Just as an example of how subjective aesthetics are, I've always thought the Zero was... not quite ugly, but certainly dull. The wing shape is nothing special, the canopy is too heavily framed to look sleek, and the stubby, tiny radial engine is just all kinds of meh.

Edited by oc2209
3 hours ago, messsucher said:

Agree about Zero, looks like piss. Tempest and P-40 look great, like heavy power fighters. A little exaggerated looks for the actual performance, though, but look great. P-51 looks horrible, never liked the shape and the belly air intake. Awful!

My hot take is that the P-40 B and C were gorgeous, but the E model ruined the lines completely

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, =621=Samikatz said:

My hot take is that the P-40 B and C were gorgeous, but the E model ruined the lines completely

I totally agree... although funnily enough I've always thought the XP-40Q was the best looking of the bunch, maybe the only time imho that a bubble-top variant looked better than the earlier razor-backs (e.g. P-47, P-51, Spitfire etc).

• Upvote 1
On 10/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, Gambit21 said:

The Allison was/is an indestructible  workhorse (a tractor engine to boot) but yeah, not a high alt unit.

One of these days I’d like to build a campaign around the P-40 should we get the PTO. At the very least put some time into flying it - even in Russia maybe.

I really like the Hurricane, but when we had a choice of it or P 40. It was for me easy. I choose P 40. 
That said it took me a very long time to enjoy it. The hard set timers and engine setting was to me very hard to get used to. 
It was kind of muzzle memory making me at some point better. But when start flying VR it really became a gem. The roomy pit and the scope in front finally looked real. If DCS make a p 40 like they did p 47 I am afraid I leave what we have

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte