The Hurricane is gold for future Finland map. Maybe not this version, but I wont nitpick. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RedKestrelI knew we had one somewhere! Fir the record, I am still v excited for the hurri. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Diggun said:

@RedKestrelI knew we had one somewhere! Fir the record, I am still v excited for the hurri. 

According to Jason's List of Fancy New Aircraft it's next on the docket! Haven't seen it in a DD lately. 

I predict it will be released (*throws dart blindfolded*) ... at the end of August! Just in time for the sunny autumn weather of the south of England!

49 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

at the end of August!

11th August, be sure!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Diggun said:

11th August, be sure!

I can't wait to try Hurricane in VR so I hope you are right 😄 I would play the shit out of CloD if it had VR support...

Edited by desolunatic

S! 

Can't wait to fly Hurricane. It has certain appeal while seriously outclassed by most planes after 1941. A rugged workhorse though. 

Interesting is that Finnish pilots considered Hurricane to be the easiest plane in VVS inventory to shoot down. Regarded as sluggish and clumsy below 3000m/10000ft, a bit better above that. Also in almost all reports it is noted how easily it caught fire when hitting wing root or area in front of cockpit(fuel/oil tanks/coolant). 

Nevertheless one of favorite planes of all time. 

3 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Can't wait to fly Hurricane. It has certain appeal while seriously outclassed by most planes after 1941. A rugged workhorse though. 

Interesting is that Finnish pilots considered Hurricane to be the easiest plane in VVS inventory to shoot down. Regarded as sluggish and clumsy below 3000m/10000ft, a bit better above that. Also in almost all reports it is noted how easily it caught fire when hitting wing root or area in front of cockpit(fuel/oil tanks/coolant). 

Nevertheless one of favorite planes of all time. 

IIRC the Russians were using lower-quality fuel than the RAF typically used, so likely an already slow aircraft was even slower, and without the  engine power needed its vaunted turning ability would be hampered. 

Not sure if the hurricane really burned more easily than other planes, but Early hurricanes had a fuel tank in front of the cockpit with inadequate fire protection. Reading combat reports and official histories, you often see pilots as having bailed out after being set on fire, with 'burning around the face and hands' due to fire in the cockpit. The planes were retrofitted with more fire protection later and the situation improved. One of many reasons I prefer my air combat virtual.

Suffice it to say I don't expect to be a threat to anyone in a Hurricane, but I will enjoy being shot down in it tremendously.

• Haha 1

S! 

Finns had some Hurricane Mk.1 in service, Merlin 3 engine. 2.5 aerial victories achieved. Biggest issues in service were lack of spare parts and amount of maintenance Merlin required, so quickly put to secondary duties. 

Interesting tidbit told by RAF officials when Hurricanes were bought was that RAF had noted quick deterioration of performance in field conditions. For example speed loss of 20mph, reduced climb rate etc. Enough performance to counter bombers but a clear disadvantage in fighter vs fighter combat. 

I also doubt VVS got the best or brand new airframes either, same as with the used Spitfire Mk.Vb delivered. Add to that the roughly 90oct fuel and we can easily see why Hurricane was not regarded as a dangerous opponent. 

Tactical instructions recommended hitting frontal area of the plane and pilot armor could not stop .50cal at all and even rifle caliber from close range could penetrate it. 

Still. Hurricane is a plane with appeal :)

Of course while we wait CloD has a very nicely modeled Hurricane ( ok it won't be as good as what we have coming up here , but it is a 10 year old model ..) to play with at a reasonable price buy in ,and by early August will have even more cannon armed varieties of the plane coming in Desert Wings Tobruk (

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I don't expect to be a threat to anyone in a Hurricane

I'll take on an e7 at equal energy and be pretty happy. Gimme a thousand feet advantage over an f4 and ill give you even money on the outcome. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Finns had some Hurricane Mk.1 in service, Merlin 3 engine. 2.5 aerial victories achieved. Biggest issues in service were lack of spare parts and amount of maintenance Merlin required, so quickly put to secondary duties. 

Interesting tidbit told by RAF officials when Hurricanes were bought was that RAF had noted quick deterioration of performance in field conditions. For example speed loss of 20mph, reduced climb rate etc. Enough performance to counter bombers but a clear disadvantage in fighter vs fighter combat. 

I also doubt VVS got the best or brand new airframes either, same as with the used Spitfire Mk.Vb delivered. Add to that the roughly 90oct fuel and we can easily see why Hurricane was not regarded as a dangerous opponent. 

Tactical instructions recommended hitting frontal area of the plane and pilot armor could not stop .50cal at all and even rifle caliber from close range could penetrate it. 

Still. Hurricane is a plane with appeal :)

Im pretty sure that the majority Hurricanes delivered to the soviets were brand new.

Consider that they received almost 3000 Hurricane Mk.II's

(Out of 8500 Mk.II's Built)

as compared to just 143 Spitfire Mk.Vb.

So the second hands spits were more of a 1 time thing.

And the British would have been more then happy to give them Hurricanes as even by late 1941 that was a second rate fighter as compared to the Spitfire and even the P-40.

So if the British would send anything to help the Soviets it would be the Hurricane.

Edited by mattebubben

44 minutes ago, Diggun said:

I'll take on an e7 at equal energy and be pretty happy. Gimme a thousand feet advantage over an f4 and ill give you even money on the outcome. 

To be clear, I'm not much of a threat to anyone except the landscape most days lmao

• Haha 1

I do remember Douglas Bader in a filmed interview sometime ago( ok not an unbiased source..) saying he could take on a 109 with a Hurricane with ease ( or confidence) esp if he could suck him into a tight turn.

3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Douglas Bader

His g-tolerance must have been through the roof, right? No legs for the blood to drain down into... 🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

To be clear, I'm not much of a threat to anyone except the landscape most days lmao

Trees fear me more than a company of orcs sent from Isengard by Saruman himself.

5 minutes ago, Diggun said:

His g-tolerance must have been through the roof, right? No legs for the blood to drain down into... 🤣

More than enough room in his other leg, at least according to Mrs. Bader.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Real advantage is patience. He was excellent at Badeing his time. 

25 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Badeing his time

That pun is awful. Doug yourself a hole right there. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Pushing those rudder pedals with his metal pins must have required some fancy foot work( sorry ...couldn't resist..)

giphy_8.gif

• Haha 1

I had no interest in the Hurricane before today; but after reading this thread, I think I'm sold on the idea.

I still have no interest in its combat capabilities, but rather I'll try to see if I can fly it as Britishly as possible.

Are there any pilot mods that allow us to wear brightly-colored ascots? That'd help. Also, maybe consider adding a thermos full of hot tea somewhere in the cockpit. And then, when you're wounded, the tea could be used to cauterize the wound. You'd be ship-shape, right-as-rain, in no time!

• Haha 2

FIfu9A.jpg

R. S. Tuck could certainly fly the Hurricane well...

Posted (edited)

Fun fact the Hurri Mk II is slower than the Mk I at low altitudes, only when uprated to the later +14/+16 boost (1942 timeframe, but not sure when exactly) it could catch up on the first variant, the high altitude is better since it has the two speed supercharger.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

1 hour ago, oc2209 said:

have no interest in its combat capabilities, but rather I'll try to see if I can fly it as Britishly as possible.

Bravo sir! Now you're getting it! 

My god, we really need a DD here. It’s like 2 AM and your cats get the zoomies like they’re on cocaine, except warbird nerds. We need some catnip stat.

• Haha 1

How's the Hurricane coming along? Pre-ordered with the Yak9s, and they were here quite fast ...

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 9:32 AM, pilotpierre said:

It is finished but has to undergo 14 days isolation prior to release.

Well i'd volunteer wearing a mouth mask anytime ... In CloD it's my most played one BTW.  Here's some history ...

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Stormbirds;

On January 22nd, IL-2: Great Battles series Lead Producer, Jason Williams, revealed a tentative release order for their upcoming modules. The order is presented below;

...updated 4 July 2020...

• Yak-9/ 9T (launched May 19, 2020)
  • P-47D-22 (expected early July, 2020)
  • Hurricane Mk. IIb/c/d (expected August/September 2020)
  • C-47 (AI)
  • Fw-190 A-6
  • Spitfire Mk. XIV (expected early 2021)
  • Typhoon Mk.Ib
  • P-51B/C
  • Bf-109 G-6 (Late)
  • Ju-88 C-6a
  • B-26 (AI)
  • Mosquito FB Mk.VI
  • Me-410
  • Ar-234
  • V-1

https://stormbirds.blog/product-roadmaps/il-2-great-battles-roadmap/

Edited by BornToBattle

2 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Well i'd volunteer wearing a mouth mask anytime ... In CloD it's my most played one BTW.  Here's some history ...

Johnny Kent's memoir "One of the Few" talks a bit about his experience with 303 squadron and was the basis for parts of this documentary, and a good bit about flying the Hurricane in the Battle of Britain, especially in the first half. Also lots of interesting info about early pilot training, operating as a test pilot, etc. A very good read. 

2 minutes ago, gaga54jacdal said:

Hello

Any news of the release date for the hurricane ?

Many thanks for any reply

Regards

In the most recent DD, Jason states it is slightly delayed, and probably slated for next month IIRC.

Posted (edited)

I have watched a gameplay video of an arcade WWII game (the first part, when you travel on bicycle and on foot is a very original idea, but the flight is very arcadey.
Anyway, at this timestamp of the video there is a page with British WWII call signs, most of them are accurate according to google, but I could not find anything why did they call the hawker hurricane - "Hurryback". Any ideas? That sounds like a funny call sign 😆

Edited by Zeev