Posted (edited)

I fly little nowadays, if not flying coop with mates in a P 38. I usually take one long mission in a level bomber, witch side decide how the mission in the server are going, numbers is not always decisive it also depend on the war effort. 
Most of the time that means LW in Finnish server. 
At one time when I was young and naive I could hit a ship at 6 K with one bomb. If I did not I would know in the moment I drop it I miss. 
now I feel , and bare in mind that predictable outcome of a bombdrop is in my opinion boring. 

I felt for a while now, that bombing is not predictable anymore, well in special on the finnish server. 
bombs drop sometime a little too short and next mission to far ahead. 
I dropped yesterday 16 x50 kg on a artillery unit

with 0.25 sec distance and hit bullseye with sidewind, the first bomb hit a little in front of target rest in it. 
then turned about 40-50 degrees left and tuned the wind indicator. Just in time I got the bridge in sight, now with the wind straight from behind I dropped the bomb aimed exactly where my first bomb had landed on the artillery. A tad in front of the bridge. Me flying south and bridge pointing east west and hit bulls eye. All this in 5 k. With a 111 and a 1000 kg bomb
Has some physics interfered in bomb drops at some point, I feel now that I use intuition and experience more than before. I am no longer absolutely sure I will hit a target, witch is superb. 
I just want to know if anyone else have experienced some difference or its just me getting older

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I fly little nowadays, if not flying coop with mates in a P 38. I usually take one long mission in a level bomber, witch side decide how the mission in the server are going, numbers is not always decisive it also depend on the war effort. 
Most of the time that means LW in Finnish server. 
At one time when I was young and naive I could hit a ship at 6 K with one bomb. If I did not I would know in the moment I drop it I miss. 
now I feel , and bare in mind that predictable outcome of a bombdrop is in my opinion boring. 

I felt for a while now, that bombing is not predictable anymore, well in special on the finnish server. 
bombs drop sometime a little too short and next mission to far ahead. 
I dropped yesterday 16 x50 kg on a artillery unit

with 0.25 sec distance and hit bullseye with sidewind, the first bomb hit a little in front of target rest in it. 
then turned about 40-50 degrees left and tuned the wind indicator. Just in time I got the bridge in sight, now with the wind straight from behind I dropped the bomb aimed exactly where my first bomb had landed on the artillery. A tad in front of the bridge. Me flying south and bridge pointing east west and hit bulls eye. All this in 5 k. With a 111 and a 1000 kg bomb
Has some physics interfered in bomb drops at some point, I feel now that I use intuition and experience more than before. I am no longer absolutely sure I will hit a target, witch is superb. 
I just want to know if anyone else have experienced some difference or its just me getting older

I think it comes down to keeping all the info straight for what works with what plane in what sim.

For instance:  

Using the bombsight altitude minus the target elevation for your bombing alt.  The differences between summer/autumn/winter in the cockpit altimeter vary greatly:

Bombing alt 5k on the Stalingrad map:  5k showing in bombsight:  target elevation (100 m) 4900 entered into bombsight

Cockpit alt autumn:  5k   Std. atm/4.9 AF elevation: 5k showing in bombsight

summer:  4870 SA/4790 AF:  5k showing in bombsight

winter:  5430 SA/5340 AF:   5k showing in bombsight

Another variable:  Did you drop external first or second:  111:  If dropping the external then internal, they both start the string from the crosshairs on.  If you drop internal first, then the string (16x50) starts at about 25% before the crosshairs at the 0.25 delay.   Where in the 88 the 28 50kgs string starts at the crosshairs but the 6 x 250s start at the 50% mark regardless on which set is dropped first.

Edited by Plurp
  • Upvote 1

Yes I know about target elevation. And that was not the case here. But thanks for the 50 kg internal education did not know that

Is there any tutorial Video available on how to do bombing correctly? I am very poor at it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

Is there any tutorial Video available on how to do bombing correctly? I am very poor at it.

There is are greate Youtube channles that teach you all you need to know about IL-2 BOX

The Air Combat Tutorial Library
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwV5RLX7mkaDy5gTIiuwGmg

Pe-2 Level Bombing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-W513IT1DQ
Il-2 (1943) Level Bombing with VV-1 Sight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zW8cYKBYw
A-20 Skip Bombing Technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg16qjnv0fk
Hs 129 Level Bombing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCDmM7Bt_U&list=PLnyigzFtHeNooN19kyhiT2UqojQPacCcE&index=3
P-51D - Wing Line Method of Ground Attack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqe0HNYqmU
Ju 88 Dive Bombing #1 - Using a Contact Altimeter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Jw-CkRq3w

or
Sheriff's Sim Shack https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEOoU9PxkXEmsFdzrbvx37A
Level Bombing with German Bombers - Bombsight Tutorial - Il2 Battle of Stalingrad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTwRymkTVc

Also fly with a group like the
Dedicates Bomber Squadron [DBS]
https://discord.gg/pfsEW3k

Also keep in mind level bombing in WW2 where totaly in accurate, only 25-30% hit the target.
So the Germans used dive bombing to increase the chane up to 50%
Try to bomb your target with the wind at your 0 or 180°, open your bombbays 2 min before target it slows you down and if you fly a long distance, straight towards the target drop a single small bomb befor the target so you can compensate better

Edited by smee_ger_ac
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, Plurp said:

Bombing alt 5k on the Stalingrad map:  5k showing in bombsight:  target elevation (100 m) 4900 entered into bombsight

Are you sure you need to take this into account? 

Because: 

- The "show tips" window available in the gunsight doesn't talk about it. 

- I never took that into account and always have correct hits. 

- Depending on the map there is already a difference between indicated altitude from cockpit and altitude from gunsight. Didn't check if this difference was due to temp though. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Because: 

- Depending on the map there is already a difference between indicated altitude from cockpit and altitude from gunsight. Didn't check if this difference was due to temp though. 

I never do elevation corrections unless it is 500 meters. I do correct elevator 100 m down if speed is in the middle of two values. Choosing speed value > 

On bridges where pinpoint is needed I do this and drop the bomb a millisecond before target hit the bridge. I find bombaim interphase to be simplified. With TAS values and pretty much no need for altitude corrections. Only thing needed is wind corrections. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Because: 

Testing over the mountains in the Kuban map where a difference of 1500m to 1000m (using the hud) it makes a big difference bombing alt at 5k instead of 3.5 to 4k.  Going back to the Stalingrad august map with little difference in elevation, even a 100 m difference meant hitting the road or meters from it.  So, for me, having my speed dead on leaves only the elevation (if unknown) being the only variable.  If it is working for you without it, then I would not worry about it.

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Plurp said:

Testing over the mountains in the Kuban map where a difference of 1500m to 1000m (using the hud) it makes a big difference bombing alt at 5k instead of 3.5 to 4k.  Going back to the Stalingrad august map with little difference in elevation, even a 100 m difference meant hitting the road or meters from it.  So, for me, having my speed dead on leaves only the elevation (if unknown) being the only variable.  If it is working for you without it, then I would not worry about it.

Ok actually I never tried with such a ground altitude. 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, Plurp said:

We agree that means the bombsight altimeter indicate a density altitude? Which mean you have not this correction to do? 

10 hours ago, JG300_Faucon said:

We agree that means the bombsight altimeter indicate a density altitude? Which mean you have not this correction to do? 

It may be, but it's not something to correct, it is the starting place.  When I jump in a bomber, and I don't know the target elevation,  I enter the bombsight to check the bombsight alt (i.e. 100 m)  this gives me the current AF elevation which may be used to help determine target elevation.  (A20 currently does not let u enter the bombsight while on the ground)  At this time I set up the bombsight for my planned run (bombsight alt, speed, wind etc.) and then I only have to adjust the settings if something changes.

So, for me, is still comes down to indicated bombsight alt (not cockpit alt) - target elevation.  Elevation can be estimated or by determining it through a recon flight.  I believe in career missions, it gives the target elevation in the briefing.  This would be a wonderful addition in mp as bomber pilots would be given recon photos and info on the target they would be hitting.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Plurp said:

This would be a wonderful addition in mp as bomber pilots would be given recon photos and info on the target they would be hitting.

On Tactical Air War for example you have a picture of every airfields and depots on the website, which are the main targets of bombers. 

But we don't have the target altitude. I can still make a suggestion to add it. Anyway the ground altitude doesn't change much on most maps (except the mountains of Kuban). 

Edited by JG300_Faucon