JimTM

Sturmovikfest 2020: Mass-Formation Events

No drama mate. I am a complete formation rookie too. Just know comms is vital haha.

I will keep practicing in isolation, but will take a while to be confident

Posted (edited)

The tentative flight assignments for the Wednesday April 29 event are here. I may end up moving some of you around so these are not the final slots, but pretty close. Let me know by PM if you want to shift around. I tried to put the squadron members close together as much as possible. Also, I'm leaving some slots empty for the novice and expert formation flyers, so if these are not filled, I'll shift the other slots to close up the formation.

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

Plenty of room for Ground Attack pilots!  Green Flight will be having a practice session at approx 9PM EDT tonite and per agreement among all 2 of our pilot's, is planning to fly P-38's. (😁👍 !!!!!!)

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

@JimTM Hey Jim I hope all is well! Just signed up for tomorrow night! You might want to change the dates on all the event links for the 29th.  Cheers!

15 minutes ago, 361st_Ripper* said:

@JimTM Hey Jim I hope all is well! Just signed up for tomorrow night! You might want to change the dates on all the event links for the 29th.  Cheers!

Welcome Ripper. Thanks for the note about dates; I see I missed a few in this post. Did you see any others elsewhere?

//////  Everyone  /////  Please note that the formation event date is Wednesday, April 29 8pm-10pm EDT (12am-2am UTC). I left a few references to the original April 30 date around by mistake.

Posted (edited)

Hello @JimTM, I know anyone can make recording using their cockpit or Il2 In game recorder, but I'd like to participate by Flying my A20 only for making a video flying over all the formations if that is ok with you without taking up one of the 54 slots. If you agree I will use my 361st FG News A20B that I just painted for my movies. Downloadlink below the pic.  Flying over formations looks cool like in this video I made @ 5:25

IL-2_Sturmovik_Battle_of_Stalingrad_Scre

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F5qKZIj_QEEA1DqeIs6o4PTG0PlscgYF/view?usp=sharing

Edited by 361st_Ripper*
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Busy with work and being a dad in these crazy times, so I'll keep this simple and short:

In my 15 or so years of MP I've both organized large events, and participated on many of them. From the organisational side this fits top 5 I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Excellent work organizing and assigning important roles, setting up whispers etc @JimTM The fun factor was on equal level too!

Special thanks and a shout out to @ShamrockOneFive for organizing this. 👌 All around a great evening, everyone from DBS had a blast.

Loving the great screens all around. Hopefully no later than end of this week I'll do my contribution with the video from position no.4 of our A-20 flight.

Sadly I can't make it on the second night...

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Welcome Ripper. Thanks for the note about dates; I see I missed a few in this post. Did you see any others elsewhere?

//////  Everyone  /////  Please note that the formation event date is Wednesday, April 29 8pm-10pm EDT (12am-2am UTC). I left a few references to the original April 30 date around by mistake.

Looks good now @JimTM

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 361st_Ripper* said:

Hello @JimTM, I know anyone can make recording using their cockpit or Il2 In game recorder, but I'd like to participate by Flying my A20 only for making a video flying over all the formations if that is ok with you without taking up one of the 54 slots. If you agree I will use my 361st FG News A20B that I just painted for my movies. Downloadlink below the pic

Sure, I was actually thinking of getting one or two people in the server to just record. I assume you referring to screen recordings using something like ShadowPlay, right? You can also access six on-field cameras, which are listed under "Airfield Area Setup and Spectator Cameras" in the opening post. I'll post your skin link in the OP by the way.

I'm not certain how much effect track recordings have on server performance. Gustaf and I were discussing the idea of limiting track recordings to one person, which would capture a cockpit view for that person only, but an external view that you could switch to anyone using Shift+F2 (friendly, i.e., everyone in the event). 

19 minutes ago, 361st_Ripper* said:

Looks good now @JimTM

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Busy with work and being a dad in these crazy times, so I'll keep this simple and short:

In my 15 or so years of MP I've both organized large events, and participated on many of them. From the organisational side this fits top 5 I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Excellent work organizing and assigning important roles, setting up whispers etc @JimTM The fun factor was on equal level too!

Special thanks and a shout out to @ShamrockOneFive for organizing this. 👌 All around a great evening, everyone from DBS had a blast.

Loving the great screens all around. Hopefully no later than end of this week I'll do my contribution with the video from position no.4 of our A-20 flight.

Sadly I can't make it on the second night...

Thanks very much Thor, and thanks to all the other pilots that posted kudos to Shamrock, Alonzo, and me. A big thanks also to the leaders and flights for putting on a great show. I'm really grateful that you rated the event so high on your list. It was nerve-racking to run for sure, but the results sure made it worth the effort.

Jim

Edited by JimTM

Hello @JimTM Affirmative, I usually record with both Shadowplay and Il2 Ingame recording. However if you don't want me to record using IL2 In game recorder I won't. I was not aware that it could affect server performance. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 361st_Ripper* said:

Hello @JimTM Affirmative, I usually record with both Shadowplay and Il2 Ingame recording. However if you don't want me to record using IL2 In game recorder I won't. I was not aware that it could affect server performance

I'm not really sure that it does to a great extent. We did try to get all 52 planes over the field at one time during Sunday's event and crashed the server. Alonzo thinks that it was likely the formation density rather than an issue with track recordings.

We'll try some smaller formations in sequence over the field for a good part of the first hour on Wednesday, but I suppose we could try a "hail Mary", "get 'em all together" pass at the end of the first hour, just to see if we crash the server again and make Alonzo overheat. :biggrin:  We'll devote the second hour to some fun and games (formation low passes, formation aerobatics, etc.).

Edited by JimTM

///////  A T T E N T I O N  ////////

Everyone taking part in the April 29 mass-formation event, please review the opening post before the event. Some information may have changed. Most importantly, see the following:

• Formation Flying and Event Formations

Important! 

-Before takeoff or after air spawn, everyone should set their altimeter to QFE (keybind: "Altimeter: reference pressure toggle". Press the key until Technochat
       indicates "Altimeter reference pressure: nearest friendly airfield elevation" and/or your altimeter reads 0 ft. / 0m on the ground or your current altitude
       above field level).

-The flight position assignments for the April 29 event are shown here (they may have changed since you last looked).
       Please remember your flight name and position number (e.g., "Red 2", "Eagle 5") so your leader can use that name if they call you.

• Voice Communications

Go to the Official BoS Teamspeak server (address and password listed in the opening post). I'll be joining TeamSpeak at least 1 hour before the event
           so I can help anyone that needs it.

Important! Flight leaders need to create a TeamSpeak whisper list so I can coordinate between channels. See the opening post for more details.        

• Airfield Area Setup and Spectator Cameras

Important! Note the following to avoid server lag issues:

- We may need to limit in-game track recordings to one person. You can stream the event or you can record using software such as ShadowPlay or OBS Studio.

- Tacview is disabled.

Also, be sure to take a look at the great-looking skins in the "Skins" section of the opening post. Only those who download and install the skins will be able to see them.

See you at the event everyone. People had a lot of fun at the Sunday event. It should be lots of fun to try and get all those planes flying in formation.

JimTM

• Like 1

Thanks Jim!  Green flight is lookin' forward to it!   👍

@JimTM please accept my apologies for the impossibility to attend the event. you put great efforts on this so it is the very least thing i can do.

the only and simple reason is my job..

keep it up man, you do an extremelly good job not only because the event but also because you make the IL2 community to grow,learn and improve 

i only hope to be able to join you all in the next one!

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gustaf said:

Shadows of flight

Hey, thank you for that!! amazing!

Edited by Rhyn0
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, =[TIA]=dressox said:

@JimTM please accept my apologies for the impossibility to attend the event. you put great efforts on this so it is the very least thing i can do.

the only and simple reason is my job..

keep it up man, you do an extremelly good job not only because the event but also because you make the IL2 community to grow,learn and improve 

i only hope to be able to join you all in the next one!

No problem dressox, real life always takes precedence. 

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers!

coldeathseth, I need to PM you. Can you clear out some room in your inbox please.

@JimTM Sorry, probably won't make it tonight.

Hope the event goes smoothly!

o7

14 minutes ago, Rhyn0 said:

@JimTM Sorry, probably won't make it tonight.

Hope the event goes smoothly!

o7

OK, Rhyn0, thanks. Also, thanks for joining in the Sunday event and doing the great stream.

Jim

I have experience of the problems tracks cause. They do not cause any problems for the server, just for the client recording. Problems only start after the total time recorded over one or multiple recordings reeves a certain length. 

The problem start with what looks like lag, but get progressively worse. Eventual a second effect occurs that I don't want to talk about in public. 

These problems all happen much faster when there are many plants in the air at once. 

My suggestion is that people should be encouraged to take no more than 5 to 10 minutes of total track time. 

Having one person record a track is not a good idea. Firstly because they will suffer the problems, but also because distant planes do not get correctly recorded in tracks. The track will be of limited use. 

Better just to ask people to limit themselves to sort tracks of key moments. 

6 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

I have experience of the problems tracks cause. They do not cause any problems for the server, just for the client recording. Problems only start after the total time recorded over one or multiple recordings reeves a certain length. 

The problem start with what looks like lag, but get progressively worse. Eventual a second effect occurs that I don't want to talk about in public. 

These problems all happen much faster when there are many plants in the air at once. 

My suggestion is that people should be encouraged to take no more than 5 to 10 minutes of total track time. 

Having one person record a track is not a good idea. Firstly because they will suffer the problems, but also because distant planes do not get correctly recorded in tracks. The track will be of limited use. 

Better just to ask people to limit themselves to sort tracks of key moments. 

Thanks for the advice Browning. The 5 or 10 minute limit per person on key moments of the event sounds like a good recommendation.

Green Flight will be short one pilot who needs to attend to duties with his ground crew (i.e. family). 

Last chance for any P-38 pilots to fly one of the sweetest aircraft in the sim, in one of the coolest online events all year!

19 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Green Flight will be short one pilot who needs to attend to duties with his ground crew (i.e. family). 

Last chance for any P-38 pilots to fly one of the sweetest aircraft in the sim, in one of the coolest online events all year!

I'll join your flight for the second half of the event, which will be open for anything the leaders want to try out (formation aerobatics, formation low passes, mock dogfights right over the field, etc.).

Just now, JimTM said:

I'll join your flight for the second half of the event, which will be open for anything the leaders want to try out (formation aerobatics, formation low passes, mock dogfights right over the field, etc.).

Thanks JimTM!  It'll be our honor to have ya in the flight!

• Like 1

Hey Jim and Red Flight Lead Magic_Zach. I just received some bad news this afternoon and am now super tentative on whether I will be able to attend.

1 minute ago, crewen said:

Hey Jim and Red Flight Lead Magic_Zach. I just received some bad news this afternoon and am now super tentative on whether I will be able to attend.

No worries crewen, join if and when you like. Sorry to hear of your bad news. Please worry about that first and foremost.  

Sorry I couldn't make it. I swallowed a toothpick and I'm spending the night in hospital. I strongly advise people not to swallow toothpicks. 

1 hour ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Sorry I couldn't make it. I swallowed a toothpick and I'm spending the night in hospital. I strongly advise people not to swallow toothpicks. 

Yikes! Hopefully you'll mend fast Browning. Hospital would not be a fun place to be during the pandemic. :(

Thanks again @JimTM @Alonzo and all the other pilots. I will need some time to go over the footage and come up with an appropriate look and fee and music. Once completed I will post back in this thread!  I have 1:38 minutes of Shadowplay plus some Il2 recorder cam. If any of you also have some footage that you took that you really want in the movie just zip up your .trk file with corresponding folder number and a notepad file telling me which time frames you'd like to include with your call sign and I'll make that special mention, and send me the link via PM. @361_Ripper

Cheers!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That was absolutely special! Seeing the P51 formation flight coming past our U.S. marked SPAD XIIIs was amazing. Huge thanks to @JimTM and the other organisers for putting this on.
@361st_Ripper* I'll sort through the tracks I got tomorrow and pick out the good bits ;)

You can watch through the misadventures of Stratus (WW1) Flight on Wolfpack's fantastic stream, HERE: 

I hope we'll see another Sturmovikfest next year! 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for being the official cameraperson tonight Ripper. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos and screenshots from you and from everyone else who made them. 

Thanks to everyone who joined in the event tonight. We had a bit of a slow start due to some technical issues, but once we got rolling, you all put on quite the show. And I got to fly this time. I joined Stoopy's Green flight in a P-38 and had a blast doing loops, barrel rolls, and a formation landing. Good times!

Cheers!

Jim

• Thanks 1

Some pics from Green flight. Had a blast!

2020_4_30__14_10_39.jpg

2020_4_30__14_7_36.jpg

2020_4_30__14_16_10.jpg

2020_4_30__14_22_7.jpg

2020_4_30__14_41_58.jpg

2020_4_30__14_55_34.jpg

2020_4_30__14_54_55.jpg

2020_4_30__14_58_50.jpg

2020_4_30__15_4_42.jpg

2020_4_30__15_23_47.jpg

2020_4_30__15_31_5.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

^^^ WOOOHOOOO!!!!  ^^^

Nice shots, Taz!!!!  👍🍺

The coolest thing about the formation loops was glancing up and seeing two deadly P-38's in my mirror, with more planes behind them, tucked in tight as we went over the top!

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Like 2

@JimTM, thanks for organizing the Mass Formation events!  I had a great time and I look forward to the next event.

• Thanks 1

@JimTM,  You pulled it off.  @ShamrockOneFive  too.   The devs push the tech and guys like you push the fun. Perfect synergism; perfect future for our community. God bless.

• Thanks 1