Sign in to follow this  
SAS_Storebror

Stormy seas with really bad weather

Hi mission builder experts,

I'm struggling to get some stormy seas with really bad weather on my missions.

This is the Ijsselmeer, 705mmHG pressure, wind 20+ kph from northwest, turbulence 3 (max level afaik), rain level 10 (max again), sea state 6 (max again), clouds "04_overcast_08" (max without fog afaik), level 900m, height 500m (max afaik).

Is this really as bad and "stormy" as it gets? Looks rather... calm to me.

2020_4_21__11_4_6.thumb.jpg.79357f5d7b5c45e8bfb115ae1d31b77c.jpg

:drinks:

Mike

Have you tried those settings in the Kuban map? I think the sea is 3D (and chaging its looks with weather) only in that one, and that Rheinland's uses the same textures/properties as lakes and rivers.

• Thanks 1

I remember an old video of ROF with the rough see, but I have never seen it in IL2 GB in a mission .... 

1 hour ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

I remember an old video of ROF with the rough see, but I have never seen it in IL2 GB in a mission .... 

Channel map comes to mind for me.  I *think* that was years ago in the Rise of Flight engine wasn't it?

On 4/21/2020 at 1:48 PM, yeikov said:

Have you tried those settings in the Kuban map? I think the sea is 3D (and chaging its looks with weather) only in that one, and that Rheinland's uses the same textures/properties as lakes and rivers.

Thanks yeikov, that indeed seems to be true.

See the same weather on Kuban map here.

Still not exactly what I would have expected in really severe weather and worst possible conditions, but at least there's some waves now.

Other than that, this would almost count as "perfect weather" where I'm living...

2020_4_21__14_57_3.thumb.jpg.e358b406690381ba114632c06bc079aa.jpg

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror

5 hours ago, yeikov said:

I have not played with the sea at Rheineland, but if that is the choice it is not very wise, I would even say it's absurd. The atlantic and even the channel is not a calm sea like lakes and rivers. You have terrible storms out there.

On the Kuban you can  have some rough (up to a point) sea. Unfortunately the waves go always the same direction whatever the wind direction and its speed. 

All this has still to be improved. Maybe one day......

@[DBS]Tx_Tip The screenshots are Sea State Level 6, both of them (initial post of mine and latest from yesterday).

That's why I was wondering.

On the Rhineland map, as @yeikov said, there seems to be no 3D representation of rough seas whatsoever.

On the Kuban map there is, but as you see in the 2nd screenshot, you get waves but nothing like a "stormy" look.

I'd also love to know why maximum overcast still looks so "sunshiny" on the ground.

Mike

5 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

@[DBS]Tx_Tip The screenshots are Sea State Level 6, both of them (initial post of mine and latest from yesterday).

On the Rhineland map, as @yeikov said, there seems to be no 3D representation of rough seas whatsoever.

On the Kuban map there is, but as you see in the 2nd screenshot, you get waves but nothing like a "stormy" look.

I'd also love to know why maximum overcast still looks so "sunshiny" on the ground.

Mike

Yep, my mistake on originally reading your post, glazed over that you had already done the Sea State level. What you've done appears to be as good as it gets.

Good discussion.

Perhaps the Devs will have the 3D representation for rough seas with the Normandy map and revisit Rheinland as well.

Tip 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

I agree that this maximum overcast should produce a much lower lighting level.  I had tried in the pas to change the thickness of the cloud, and this is clearly very badly simulated as it does not change at all the illumination. If you have the cloud coverage 200mt thick or 1000mt thick there is no difference in lighting. The only way to have some darker sky is to lower the bottom cloud base to 200/300 meters, but other than that nothing can be done.

Hope they will improve these atmospheric effects in the future. 

There is also an effect that is very annoying, and these are these large white streaks when you have rain set. They stay the same whatever the rain intensity, and they really just are a visual disturbance. Hope they take them away in coming updates. Other than that the rain is pretty well simulated.

• Thanks 1