Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Kinda funny to hear folks wining about this and that and to much Flak or what ever and not realistic enough etc,etc….when you are communicating with other Pilots  re enemy etc which of course is" unrealistic "as  it couldn't be done in WW1.Try hand  signals only :>)

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, canuk2rogerthat said:

Kinda funny to hear folks wining about this and that and to much Flak or what ever and not realistic enough etc,etc….when you are communicating with other Pilots  re enemy etc which of course is" unrealistic "as  it couldn't be done in WW1.Try hand  signals only :>)

Did you try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Give it up man.  Most people here will make any excuse to not give up their comms.  Greatest advantage in the game.

 

Just gotta learn to deal with it if you're a lone wolf.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Did you try?

Hand signals will only really work when we all use VR.  If you don't have VR then you are not seeing what pilots would see IRL (you'd have to keep "zoomed in" 100% of the time to see that much detail), making hand signals almost useless.

 

I'm aware I'm doing what Broccoli said people would do, but hey.

 

To be honest, using comms is as much about sociability as it is about tactics.  Just makes the game more fun

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This so funny, guy's getting pissy because their unsociable. You don't like others that's fine don't talk to us.  Tell me, how many lone wolfs were there in the real war? not many and the ones that did go lone wolf either got killer or court marshalled. Plus tell me before each sortie what did squads do? My guess they went in some tent and received their orders and their plan of attack, Guess what, that's what most of us do when on coms. What about you so called lone wolfs, do you get your orders and follow through with them or do you just take off blindly and get shot down because you on your own. What most of us on coms talk about what our plan of attack is and plus how lucky we are to have such an awesome WW1 sim to fly.

Being on coms just helps take the fear out of being shot down and killed when you know your not dying alone. Plus the guys like talking about how awesome I am, who am I to deny them that pleasure. 🤩

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, =CfC=FatherTed said:

To be honest, using comms is as much about sociability as it is about tactics.  Just makes the game more fun

 

Exactly.:salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, =CfC=FatherTed said:

 

 

To be honest, using comms is as much about sociability as it is about tactics.  Just makes the game more fun

This.

In the end, "realism" is a nice word for "whatever does not ruin plausibilty for me" anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Uhmm personally I can't stop laughing everytime I hear the word: "Realism".

 

Sirs, are you aware of the fact  that large majority of us is "way, way, way too old" for flying a fighter?

Are you aware that flying with a cup of beer in your left hand wearing slippers is realistic NOT?

Are you aware that nobody really dies?

 

Do you know what's realistic in a "PC flight simulator?"     N O T H I N G!

 

Amen

 

JGS4 MAx von Arese

Edited by JGS4_MaxvonArese
typo
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realised I'm sitting here reading this with a bowl of cornflakes in left hand, with slippers on.

Are you saying the real pilots had breakfast before take off ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I just realised I'm sitting here reading this with a bowl of cornflakes in left hand, with slippers on.

Are you saying the real pilots had breakfast before take off ?

 

YOU MISSED PT ZF! Where were you!?

 

Mess duty three weeks, restricted to barracks one week, one half month forfeiture of pay!

 

NOW we're getting into realism.

Edited by US213_Talbot
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relax children!!!I wasn't  putting anyone down  I realise its fun chatting etc,I was just making a point sheeesh!

19 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Did you try?

Yup!It went well,just the two of us and my wingman knows sign language for the deaf :>)

 

9 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

This so funny, guy's getting pissy because their unsociable. You don't like others that's fine don't talk to us.  Tell me, how many lone wolfs were there in the real war? not many and the ones that did go lone wolf either got killer or court marshalled. Plus tell me before each sortie what did squads do? My guess they went in some tent and received their orders and their plan of attack, Guess what, that's what most of us do when on coms. What about you so called lone wolfs, do you get your orders and follow through with them or do you just take off blindly and get shot down because you on your own. What most of us on coms talk about what our plan of attack is and plus how lucky we are to have such an awesome WW1 sim to fly.

Being on coms just helps take the fear out of being shot down and killed when you know your not dying alone. Plus the guys like talking about how awesome I am, who am I to deny them that pleasure. 🤩

 

Pissy,unsociable? don't like others? give it a break pal!!!typical BC resident LOL,Im from Ontario;>)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

 

YOU MISSED PT ZF! Where were you!?

 

Mess duty three weeks, restricted to barracks one week, one half month forfeiture of pay!

 

NOW we're getting into realism.

 

Go on then, furlough me - I dare you !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Saturday, Bloody April, I was gunning for JG1 Lee, we were escorted by an Albatros flight. Through a gap in the clouds above I saw SE5s diving on to the unsuspecting escorts. I wasnt on their comms channel, couldnt warn them,  sadly all but one of the escorts fell. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canuk2rogerthat said:

Pissy,unsociable? don't like others? give it a break pal!!!typical BC resident LOL,Im from Ontario;>)

Grew up in Mississauga Ontario, port credit actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J5_Spyboy said:

Last Saturday, Bloody April, I was gunning for JG1 Lee, we were escorted by an Albatros flight. Through a gap in the clouds above I saw SE5s diving on to the unsuspecting escorts. I wasnt on their comms channel, couldnt warn them,  sadly all but one of the escorts fell. 

 

Just like the real thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Comms are as sociable as they are tactical. Yes, they are an ahistorical advantage feature - 'advantage' implies only some pilots can use them -- but so is having 1000+ hours of experience and several 'lifetimes' of mistakes to learn from. You have to suspend your disbelief at some point ;) 

I did always like the idea of a 'comms off' campaign, though. If only such a rule in a campaign could be realistically enforceable! 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, US93_Larner said:

'advantage' implies only some pilots can use them -- but so is having 1000+ hours of experience and several 'lifetimes' of mistakes to learn from. You have to suspend your disbelief at some point ;) 

I did always like the idea of a 'comms off' campaign, though. If only such a rule in a campaign could be realistically enforceable! 

 

It's an advantage that the real pilots didn't have; but beside the point, just because something is theoretically available to everyone doesn't make it any less an advantage.  I could technically use a 50 inch widescreen like some pilots do...if I had one.  That doesn't mean the guy who does has less of an advantage.

 

"Comms off" campaigns used to be done by having everybody participating hop into the same channel.  There were ways around that, but at that point it jumped the line to cheating.  A lot of servers used to have dedicated teamspeak servers that "social" minded pilots could have utilized to get their social fix; but of course none of them ever did.

 

You're on comms because of the advantage it gives you first, socialization second.  Maybe over time, the social aspect becomes more important for some pilots; but for the majority, no.

 

It's okay.  You enjoy the advantage radio comms give you in-game, and you probably enjoy the social aspect too.  You don't have to pretend the first part isn't so.  Nobody who has a problem with it will think any less of you for using them than they already do; so you might as well just admit it.

 

And don't take this as me complaining about other pilots using comms.  I just find it funny when grown men playing our airplane game from their basement rail on about realism while coordinating on discord.  You have to admit that's just funny.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 just because something is theoretically available to everyone doesn't make it any less an advantage.  I could technically use a 50 inch widescreen like some pilots do...if I had one.  That doesn't mean the guy who does has less of an advantage.

 

Afraid I don't follow that logic. Specifically in the case of comms, there is no advantage to be had. Everyone can find people to wing up with, everyone can use comms.

If you mean vs. real ww1 pilots, however, then it's quite obviously an advantage, among the masses of other advantages enjoyed by us humble sim pilots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:

 

Afraid I don't follow that logic. Specifically in the case of comms, there is no advantage to be had. Everyone can find people to wing up with, everyone can use comms.

If you mean vs. real ww1 pilots, however, then it's quite obviously an advantage, among the masses of other advantages enjoyed by us humble sim pilots. 

 

So when you and your mates are flying together, and you "I'm in.  I'm out." some other guys who aren't on comms; your comms didn't grant you an advantage in that encounter because those other guys could have theoretically got on comms themselves?

 

If you can't see it, you're exactly what the OP was whining about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

So when you and your mates are flying together, and you "I'm in.  I'm out." some other guys who aren't on comms; your comms didn't grant you an advantage in that encounter because those other guys could have theoretically got on comms themselves?

 

If you can't see it, you're exactly what the OP was whining about.


If I have a belt and I don't wear it, do I get to complain when my trousers fall down? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, US93_Larner said:


If I have a belt and I don't wear it, do I get to complain when my trousers fall down? 

 

No;  but you also don't get to pretend that the belt doesn't help hold yours up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

No;  but you also don't get to pretend that the belt doesn't help hold yours up.


Well, sucks to be you then I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:


Well, sucks to be you then I guess...

 

I've flown alone, by choice, for years now.  I get along just fine.  I find flying precisely when I want to fly, and the added challenge, more enjoyable than teamplay.

 

I don't begrudge you your advantage.  Just don't play pretend about it, when someone else whines about it.

 

The correct response when people whine about it isn't "There's no advantage, I do it for the social aspects" lol.  The correct response is "Yeah, it gives us an advantage, and yeah it isn't realistic.  But it's fun, and you should try it too."

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

I don't begrudge you your advantage.  Just don't play pretend about it, when someone else whines about it.


Good for you - not playing pretend at all. I'm just of the opinion that it's not a case of pilots giving themselves an advantage by getting on comms together - rather, pilots actively avoiding getting on comms are putting themselves at a disadvantage. Same coin, different side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You have it a bit backwards mate.  There are no in-built voice comms in the game.  They are not the ones actively avoiding comms.  You are the ones actively making the effort to get on comms.

 

It would be one thing if everyone were dropped into a comm channel and people were muting it or dropping out; but that isn't the case. 

 

You did qualify your statement by saying it's your opinion; and you're of course free to have that opinion.  I suspect whether people agree with it or not will heavily sepend on whether they too use comms!

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yeah, it gives us an advantage, and yeah it isn't realistic.  But it's fun, and you should try it too."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J5_Gamecock said:

"Yeah, it gives us an advantage, and yeah it isn't realistic.  But it's fun, and you should try it too."

 

Exactly.  OP should fly with J5 or USinfinity.

 

They might really enjoy discussing the "realism" of this sim with you guys in real time over comms- while doing some flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

No;  but you also don't get to pretend that the belt doesn't help hold yours up.

But the trousers have belt loops! Are the trousers holding the belt up or is the belt holding the trousers up?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, US213_Talbot said:

But the trousers have belt loops! Are the trousers holding the belt up or is the belt holding the trousers up?!

That depends on how fat you are, If your huge then neither are going to help so you need suspenders and that's the REAL facts. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

That depends on how fat you are, If your huge then neither are going to help so you need suspenders and that's the REAL facts. 


My wife wears suspenders, real men wear braces, but whatever floats your boat I guess.  😁  

I was always a little surprised, if taking part in a, fancy dress, fun run, how many of the married soldiers, in my regiment, would turn up in their wives underwear, suspenders, stockings and all.  Maybe all soldiers are actually repressed drag queens looking for an excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

 real men wear braces, but whatever floats your boat I guess

Funny, My neighbor just gave me a boat and I doubt suspenders or braces will help it float, Want to see if I can really turn a sows ear into a silk purse. How many in your regiment would carry a silk purse I wonder?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

I've flown alone, by choice, for years now.  I get along just fine.  I find flying precisely when I want to fly, and the added challenge, more enjoyable than teamplay.

 

Wait.  Broccoli flies solo and without comm; yet he's frequently a top scorer at the Flugpark?  I think that's quite an accomplishment.  Salute!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I just realised I'm sitting here reading this with a bowl of cornflakes in left hand, with slippers on.

Are you saying the real pilots had breakfast before take off ?

 

Reading Eddie Rickenbakkers biography at the moment. He had brekky at 0400hrs so your late for work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fly on my own as Im not very good at it yet!! I like being a gunner too and scenery is amazing on a sunny day.I love plodding along in the Russian bi-plane and hedge hopping,and to all of you stay safe to you and your Families and listen to" Isolation" song by John Lennon:>)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have such fond memories of flying no-comms campaigns in ROF! Especially a night bombing missions with Gothas, oh boy after landing and going back into teamspeak it was a bit like the commander must feel, standing on the field waiting for the other pilots to come back in and land and seeing who made it and who reached the target. But also coming up with the flight plans pre-flight, and thinking about how we could escort our two seater, cover the entire front with scouts to find the enemy's, and still be able to come to eachother's aid when you see a flare pop....good times! 

 

Of course, for regular server nights, this is all completely useless, and it has no place outside of campaigns like this. but it's fun.

Edited by hq_Jorri
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good old time...

Edited by emely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the comms a try. You end up with a disadvantage if you're not on comms and the opponent is using them and it's nice to be able to talk to other players in general.  All sims have their strong points and their weaker ones in terms of realism and nothing has yet been devised that is actually like being in the war. We're all playing a game. If in the end you don't like the voice use, you can just not use the comms after that. Flight sim multiplayer is kind of its own unique thing.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...