Which big boy are you looking forward to the most?

Which big boy are you looking forward to the most?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which big boy are you looking forward to the most?

• Su-152
    • Panzerjäger Tiger (P) ‘Ferdinand’

The next AFV for Tank Crew is the Su-152 self-propelled artillery, assault gun, and improvised tank destroyer with the largest gun of the game. After that is the Panzerjäger Tiger (P) ‘Ferdinand’, a Porsche Tiger chassis with the deadliest AT gun in the game, capable of knocking out T-34s from 3km away. Which are you most excited for?

97C79F39-CDEA-4035-BBFE-DDB0E4235C16.thumb.jpeg.6445884fc120694dd6625c2e60d041c5.jpeg

D7DDEB46-5F5B-4F5A-B482-72A8143CC062.thumb.png.61b00fdf2a53b55654a9bb40ed9b07de.png

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how effective SU-152 "Zveroboi" vs Tiger will be 😋. It’s not long to wait.

[Pb]Cybermat47 in your photo is not SU-152, but ISU-152. These self-propelled guns mounts are constantly confused.

Here is the SU-152

0-su152_10.jpg

Pay attention to the shape of the armored cabin.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, dragon_7611 said:

I wonder how effective SU-152 "Zveroboi" vs Tiger will be 😋. It’s not long to wait.

[Pb]Cybermat47 in your photo is not SU-152, but ISU-152. These self-propelled guns mounts are constantly confused.

Here is the SU-152

0-su152_10.jpg

I sure hope that SU-152 will be a little more effective than SU-122:russian_ru:

Spoiler

• Like 1
18 hours ago, dragon_7611 said:

Here is the SU-152

Ah, thanks for the correction. The Su-152 was a T-34 chassis while the ISU-152 was an IS-2 chassis, right?

4 hours ago, Katowiz said:

:blush:

Ferdinand

/rant start

Guderian this, Guderan that...Ferdinand was classified as "Schweres Sturmgeschütz" heavy assault gun. It is no tank but an assault gun and therefore belongs to the arillery, which Gunderian had no authority over. He was free to comment the vehicle of course. Why put un all this armor if you want the use the vehicle from second line and not as spearhead of the assault? Second line dudy can be performed by a simple PaK, too.

"The machines performend worse than exspected". No they did not, they performed better than previously thought. Ferdinand was tested extensively before it was brought to the front line. It was known that the vehicle could not handle steep slopes. Kursk therefore was almost ideal for using the Ferdinand since the terrain there is rather flat.

Because the Ferdinand had a gasoline-electric drive it was one of the few German tanks that did not suffer from failing final drives and gearboxes at all.

Wear on both HL 120TRMs was higher though since the engines had to run on medium to high rpms all the time while on a conventional mechaical drive low rpm is an option.

The crews loved their rolling Ferdinands. Superb armor and gun while being as easy to drive as a tram. The vehicle was slow but that was to be expected from a 65 ton vehicle.

You know what keeps the infantry away from your tank? The muzzle blast of your gun. Blowing eardrums our is quite effective. The problem is not that Ferdinand was defenseless against infanty, but that the only effective answer the crew had was the main gun. That increases HE ammo expenditure and makes the vehicle return to resupply more often.

/rant end

For me the Ferdinand is the more interesting vehicle. I really want to see how the devs implement the gasoline-electric drive.

btw:  I voted for the Ferdinand because I've always had a sweet spot for this vehicle. Even if it wasn't the perfect tank-killer some enthusiasts still want or wish.  But I'm sure it will do fine in TC (nearly invulnerable). 

Kind regards

Edited by Katowiz
21 hours ago, Katowiz said:

btw:  I voted for the Ferdinand because I've always had a sweet spot for this vehicle. Even if it wasn't the perfect tank-killer some enthusiasts still want or wish.  But I'm sure it will do fine in TC (nearly invulnerable). 

Kind regards

I see, I see...

I should have added more negative points about the Ferdinand to give a more balanced view 

Problems with the Ferdinand (taken from the time directly after operation Zitadelle)

- enormous fuel consuption that evend dwarfs the one of the Tiger

- HL 120TRM turned out not to be very reliable in the Ferdinand as opposed to in the Panzer III and IV

- emormous oil consumption:15 to 20l per 100km

- about 800km of life exspectancy for the HL 120TRM at the most

- engine oil needs to be changed after 100km at the latest

- cooling slits too big, splinters can damage the engine and coolers

- the hot air outlet on the back of the vehicle can produce huge dust clouds

-  temperature in the fighting compartment is rather high (60 deg C were measured in the gunners foot area, ambient temp 21 deg C)

- fuses tend to blow which leads to a completely empty battery ->  renders the vehicle unstartable

- the gunmount is unsufficent. Traveling long distances without a travel lock leads to significant play in the gunmount.

- battery mount is not mine safe. If the vehicle hits a mine there there will be at least one battery cracked. In mamy instances all 4 batteries were cracked.

- vehicles were planed to be used up in the field, so there were no spare parts put aside or even available. 

Some more data for the Panzerjäger Regiment 656 (Which incluedes Sturmpanzer IVs and Ferdinands)

DAILY lubricant needs for a 25km advance:

- 868l engine oil

- 300l gearbox oil (Sturmpanzer IV only)

- 1335l of grease

Edited by SchleiferGER
5 часов назад, SchleiferGER сказал:

I see, I see...

I should have added more negative points about the Ferdinand to give a more balanced view 

Problems with the Ferdinand (tanken from the time directly after operation Zitadelle)

- enormous fuel consuption that evend dwarfs the one of the Tiger

- HL 120TRM turned out not to be very reliable in the Ferdinand as opposed to in the Panzer III and IV

- emormous oil consumption:15 to 20l per 100km

- about 800km of life exspectancy for the HL 120TRM at the most

- engine oil needs to be changed after 100km at the latest

- cooling slits too big, splinters can damage the engine and coolers

- the hot air outlet on the back of the vehicle can produce huge dust clouds

-  temperature in the fighting compartment is rather high (60 deg C were measured in the gunners foot area, ambient temp 21 deg C)

- fuses tend to blow which leads to a completely empty battery ->  renders the vehicle unstartable

- the gunmount is unsufficent. Traveling long distances without a travel lock leads to significant play in the gunmount.

- battery mount is not mine safe. If the vehicle hits a mine there there will be at least one battery cracked. In mamy instances all 4 batteries were cracked.

- vehicles were planed to be used up in the field, so there were no spare parts put aside or even available. 

Some more data for the Panzerjäger Regiment 656 (Which incluedes Sturmpanzer IVs and Ferdinands)

DAILY lubcircant needs for a 25km advance:

- 868l engine oil

- 300l gearbox oil (Sturmapnzer IV only)

- 1335l of grease

This cannot be implemented in the game. The tiger also had a lot of disadvantages but we end up with an unkillable killing machine in our game. It will be the same with Ferdinand... True, it will be slow, and if you shoot off its caterpillar, it is an easy target even for the T-34. I hope that the SU-152 will correct the current situation of Soviet armored vehicles....

Hello Freaks,

I think that the great challenge of supplying a unit with Ferdinand has to be neglected. If you read the field reports of the frontline soldiers (Combat History of Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653), you can see that the new technology used was a challenge for the soldiers on the one hand - but at the same time gave them a good feeling of protection and the combat value was accordingly high. Technically, every tank was new territory - no matter in which country. In the German units, the system of placing orders proved itself, which requires each soldier to take personal responsibility in the sense of the order placed - in contrast to the strict, inflexible command system in other countries. Furthermore, the division of soldiers - non-commissioned officers and sergeants and officers, which is still practiced today, makes sense, since the separation here is not as great as, for example, the British.

Good luck

Guenther