I want to ask you how goes it work this option, when activated in the advanced properties of a plane.

In the manual i can read:

"If the AI autopilot is on, make the plane return to the nearest friendly airfield object
under the following conditions:
• The plane is critically damaged (50% damage or more).

(...)"

Assuming that we are not speaking of the player's plane... an AI plane shoul be always in autopilot condition. So, I have tried several test, but the outcome is not satisfactory.
Whatever the value entered in the "Damage" box, the AI aircraft gets massacred, before attempting to return to the base and is then regularly forced to an emergency landing.
To check the occurrence of the damage condition I activated an On event >> onDamaged >> subtitle "Plane damaged".
But this message appears only after the plane (in critical condition) has attempted an emergency landing outside its designated airport with a "fakefield".

Thank for your attention.

It is not clear for me how this works exactly. But I had planes of my flight that did return to base, I mean that they left the flight and went home. To return to base they must have the possibility to do so. I can imagine that they must be outside a dog fight and not targeted by an enemy, and maybe also lack any target to attack.

You have to check if there is an Attack Command  with high priority for  air or ground targets. In this case the AI plane  will attack until either all targets are destroyed or he is destroyed and independently of the  RTB damage threshold.

I did not take time to test this function in detail. I keep the damage threshold to 50%.

9 hours ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

I want to ask you how goes it work this option, when activated in the advanced properties of a plane.

In the manual i can read:

"If the AI autopilot is on, make the plane return to the nearest friendly airfield object
under the following conditions:
• The plane is critically damaged (50% damage or more).

(...)"

Assuming that we are not speaking of the player's plane... an AI plane shoul be always in autopilot condition. So, I have tried several test, but the outcome is not satisfactory.
Whatever the value entered in the "Damage" box, the AI aircraft gets massacred, before attempting to return to the base and is then regularly forced to an emergency landing.
To check the occurrence of the damage condition I activated an On event >> onDamaged >> subtitle "Plane damaged".
But this message appears only after the plane (in critical condition) has attempted an emergency landing outside its designated airport with a "fakefield".

Thank for your attention.

The manual extract you quoted is from "Plane Settings Dialog" (pg. 226), which applies to MP spawn points (i.e., fakefield objects). Your AI plane case is covered in "Object Advanced Properties Dialog" (pg. 201), but both sections essentially describe the same AI RTB behaviour.

Try testing with On event >> OnPlaneCriticalDamage >> subtitle "Plane critically damaged". Make sure that Damage Report is less than 50 and Damage: (Threshold|Step) is set to Threshold. I'm not sure if OnPlaneCriticalDamage is generated with Damage set to Step.

Thanks Jim, you are always very ready, courteous and competent in replies.
I'll try what you suggest ...

• Thanks 1

I have tried several times, changing both the type of damage (threshold or step) and the percentage values.
But I can't produce the expected result, namely that the plane hit:
1) issue a message that the condition has occurred
2) go to the landing
Every time the enemy plane continues to fight to the end and only when it is now hopelessly hit, it tries to head home, but without being able to get there.
In any case, the message always comes when the plane is crashing.
So if I am not wrong, it would seem that the program could not distinguish between "damaged" or "critical damaged" situations, compared to "killed", "destroyed" or "crashed".
However, I attach a simple mission where the player must hit an MC-202 with short bursts of MTG, in order to progressively damage it and understand if it manages to send a "critical damaged" message and then go to landing.
Thanks for your attention.

Test.rar

Posted (edited)

I have a group that can be set to do two things. In this scenario the flight of 4 aircraft is split into two pairs for direction purposes.

a) send the flight to an attack area and patrol for x minutes

b) if either aircraft in either pair is damaged beyond y percent (typically down to 85% integrity) then both aircraft from that pair attempt to break off, dive for the deck then zoom home.

The group is not perfect as it doesn't work all the time. For instance if someone hits a plane just after it receives the command to bug out it may turn turn back to defend itself. It's also a bit clunky as it involves two sets of routing logic - one for normal and one for damaged.

I'll zip it up if it is of any use

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AumCbU9W2zRejwFRgx___4tki-El?e=xyljR3

Edited by TP_Silk

16 hours ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

I have tried several times, changing both the type of damage (threshold or step) and the percentage values.
But I can't produce the expected result, namely that the plane hit:
1) issue a message that the condition has occurred
2) go to the landing
Every time the enemy plane continues to fight to the end and only when it is now hopelessly hit, it tries to head home, but without being able to get there.
In any case, the message always comes when the plane is crashing.
So if I am not wrong, it would seem that the program could not distinguish between "damaged" or "critical damaged" situations, compared to "killed", "destroyed" or "crashed".
However, I attach a simple mission where the player must hit an MC-202 with short bursts of MTG, in order to progressively damage it and understand if it manages to send a "critical damaged" message and then go to landing.
Thanks for your attention.

Test.rar 4.55 kB · 0 downloads

I tried a few flights, changing to a Spit IX, which I'm current in. The only time I got the critical damage message before the enemy crashed is when I used cannon to really blast the MC-202, which then proceeded to crash.

Using machine guns only, I nibbled away at the enemy plane until it crashed, with a critical damage message. For the machine guns run, I also set up an OnDamaged message with 20% steps, but they only appeared when the enemy crashed.

I don't know if it's just a case of having to get just the right damage to trigger critical damage and RTB or if there's something wrong with the behaviour (or I don't understand exactly what's supposed to happen).

• Thanks 1

Please try to at least put one fakefield on your map. Sorry if this was already mentioned. 

Horridoh

9 hours ago, JimTM said:

I tried a few flights, changing to a Spit IX, which I'm current in. The only time I got the critical damage message before the enemy crashed is when I used cannon to really blast the MC-202, which then proceeded to crash.

Using machine guns only, I nibbled away at the enemy plane until it crashed, with a critical damage message. For the machine guns run, I also set up an OnDamaged message with 20% steps, but they only appeared when the enemy crashed.

I don't know if it's just a case of having to get just the right damage to trigger critical damage and RTB or if there's something wrong with the behaviour (or I don't understand exactly what's supposed to happen).

Thank you Jim.

I am comforted by the fact that you too have encountered the problems I have mentioned.
We must probably conclude that the AI plane's behavior is not in line with what we expected.
It is desirable that the developers can intervene on this aspect, because it would be very interesting for mission builders to have AI planes that, when they suffer a certain percentage of damage, can independently decide not to continue their action and to return to home.
Thanks for your experimentation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

Thank you Jim.

I am comforted by the fact that you too have encountered the problems I have mentioned.
We must probably conclude that the AI plane's behavior is not in line with what we expected.
It is desirable that the developers can intervene on this aspect, because it would be very interesting for mission builders to have AI planes that, when they suffer a certain percentage of damage, can independently decide not to continue their action and to return to home.
Thanks for your experimentation.

You're welcome Alfaunostebas11.

One further test you can try is to set very low fuel for the MC-202 and see if it RTBs for bingo fuel. You could try this while engaging it but not firing and while standing off at a distance and not engaging it.

Added link to my previous post