RIPSkyKingTasmanaut

Default zoom level/head position

So this is a question aimed more at those that would consider themselves elite or at least very good pilots. I am fine tuning my set up (plenty of time to do that currently :sleep:), and I'm wondering whether you use the default zoom level, or perhaps a more zoomed-out view and save that.

I have used a custom level of zoom as my default level in all planes for the past year. What I would do is zoom right out, then with the mouse wheel, zoom in 2 'ticks'. I'm considering using a default of fully zoomed out, having seen the benefit to SA, but there is also a fish-eye effect that is hard to get used to

Regarding head position, do you tend to leave that as default or perhaps move it closer to the gun sight? I'm just curious, as I notice you get a more panoramic view of your 6 when leaning forward and zooming right out to check 6. Anyway, feel free to share your preferences and the logic used to arrive at them

Tas - in 2D mode - consider zoom to be more Field of View control to get to scale.

You can widen your Field of View to see more but at the expense of size of your sim world or you can narrow it to get to scale but missing out on peripheral vision.  Monitor sizes and aspect ratios will complicate the matter as well as a 21 Inch 16:9 ratio monitor will not be the same as flying on a 34 Inch 21:9 monitor or as some do, a 55 Inch 16:9 TV.

Fly with what compromises you feel is best for situational awareness and fighting.  Zoom in on the sight when you need to take shots but maybe have snap to sight view mapped to a controller button for quick access.

Head position is another thing.  I fly VR but I don't have lighthouses for 6DOF, instead I rely on internal gyro which gives me 3DOF movement so I set my head position to about 1/4 to 1/3 way out from the gun sight so I have a good view through it and also good rear view when I check 6.

If you have a IR Tracker for monitor 6DOF use, you mightn't need to be so close.

Posted (edited)

that's an interesting take. So basically, with all this time on my hands, i'm having some OCD issues when it comes to finding the optimal 'compromise' as you put it. Just wanted to get a few opinions on what others feel this is.

As far as the head position, i do have 6DOF head tracking, but I find it a pain moving in and out on my perfectly positioned chair, and re centring my view if i don't return to a neutral position. I have a big deadzone for movement side-to-side for this reason, I like to stay centred on the sight unless leaning right out to look behind. I like to sit kinda still, maybe raise up a bit and move forward a little to make deflection shots. That is why it is interesting that you suggest a rather forward view (as I was starting to 'lean towards' 😅) with your set up, if I understand you correctly. It seems applicable to my needs, as I say, i don't tend to want to move around a great deal in my seat.

Edited by Tasmanaut

Yeah in VR with 170 horizontal FOV, being forward is not such an issue for me as I see quite a lot around that position.

With return to center and your IR tracker, you should be able to map a snap to center view to a controller button as well.  Just in case you need to reset it.  That with the snap to gun sight view mapped, you can probably be more central in the cockpit and with FOV view relatively wide.

Just experiment with what suits your setup, monitor, head tracking etc.