Sign in to follow this  
Grajo

Fuel/Oil/Coolant Leaks from other Aircraft create a similar effect as Canopy "drops" effect

Hi, 

We have this very nice effect of water drops running all over the glass of the cockpit when entering in clouds. (I really love this detail and the quality of the effect itself) :]

My proposal is to extend the idea to any liquid that contacts to that surface. Many time we follow the six of a plane leaking fuel or other fluids into our faces. Would add a lot of "realism" if this is noticeable also when leaks of any kind from other planes contact the surface of our cockpit glass.

I understand that his could mean a lot of work from the Devs. (slightly different effects depending of the type of leak) But also will had a lot to the experience, and also another thing to be aware of inside any fight.

Best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see something like this myself. There already is a similar effect, for when you get your oil spread out all over the windshield/canopy, if you open up the canopy and get your head out into the slipstream, drops of oil will dirty your glasses.

My concern with having all kinds of fluids on your windscreen is than some of them won't go away, e.g. oil. In some of the memoirs I've read, some Bf109s (G6 i think it was) had a field modification to clear oil from the windscreen by spraying small amounts of fuel. The pilot could control this from the cockpit. I'm not sure about other countries though, if they had such a system.

Perhaps, if you get oil on your windscreen, for the next aircraft that you attack you could try and perforate its fuel tank and fly into the stream, just to get the oil off of your windshield. (more of a joke, just as an alternative if we don't get windshield cleaning field mods)

But yeah, it would make the game feel more organic.

Edited by Raven109

1 hour ago, Raven109 said:

Perhaps, if you get oil on your windscreen, for the next aircraft that you attack you could try and perforate its fuel tank and fly into the stream, just to get the oil off of your windshield. (more of a joke, just as an alternative if we don't get windshield cleaning field mods)

Not thinking about that level of "complexity". In terms of game play, some fluids could be more "annoying" than others and take more or less time to disperse from the screen.

• Upvote 1

The fuel "cleaner" could be "automatic" simply by using the water effect and fading out the oil effect... after a few seconds with the oil on the windows.

I love this idea and on the outside it seems possible to do with simply extending already made systems. Perhaps flying into oil or fuel can also clog the engines air or increase the risk of fire if hit.

Though speaking of particle effects. If the devs could decrease the amount of particles calculated from planes kicking up dust to help fps. I would really appreciate that as multiple planes on start up in multiplayer can be very lag inducing.