Sign in to follow this  
CrazyGman

K4 dB 605 engine facility before and after new damage model

Posted (edited)

Ok I haven't made the time to throughly test the K4 with the standard DB engine outside of multiplayer. However I have noticed that the engine tends to be quite fragile and consistently multiple times in combat I have ended up breaking the engine. However what causes it still eludes me. sometimes I thought that I was running it into emergancy power accidentally but not enough to activate the MW 50, another time I thought that doing rapid throttle inputs might cause it to die, or that diving in cool environments causes it to overcool the engine, either way I'm not sure watch causes the engine damage even when I've been flying it in full emergancy for less then 10 minutes, and this never seems to happen for me in the DC engined K4, has anyone figured out what the key is, and how to prevent killing the DB engine? I'd rather not spend a couple of hours testing it if possible.

Just to note this problem has occurred both before and after the new damage model patch released in April 2020

Edited by CrazyGman
Wrong words used

From my own experience it seems that you have to be quite careful with all the Me109 engines. In contrast, the engines on the FW190 series seems to be capable of taking much more abuse from the pilot - up to a point, of course.

Posted (edited)

I don't know if the developers modeled the less than adequate manufacturing facilities at the end of the war which directly impacted the quality of engines arriving at the front, particularly those sabotaged during assembly by slave labor.  But I can vouch for the lack of a robust engine in the K4, the DC version is fine but the basic engine can leave you hanging in silk very quickly.  I limit myself in full emergency throttle to small amounts on when needed to make a kill or escape, otherwise I'm usually in max continuous and/or combat for a very limited time.  To me the G14 is the better fighter hands down!

Edited by GSP_Hund
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Ok I haven't made the time to throughly test the K4 with the standard DB engine outside of multiplayer. However I have noticed that the engine tends to be quite fragile and consistently multiple times in combat I have ended up breaking the engine. However what causes it still eludes me. sometimes I thought that I was running it into emergancy power accidentally but not enough to activate the MW 50, another time I thought that doing rapid throttle inputs might cause it to die, or that diving in cool environments causes it to overcool the engine, either way I'm not sure watch causes the engine damage even when I've been flying it in full emergancy for less then 10 minutes, and this never seems to happen for me in the DC engined K4, has anyone figured out what the key is, and how to prevent killing the DB engine? I'd rather not spend a couple of hours testing it if possible.

Just to note this problem has occurred both before and after the new damage model patch released in April 2020

Are you engaging the MW50 in a dive? You can overspeed the prop that way and break it really quick

• Like 1

Many people dont know you must full power when you use MW50, or it will breakdwn quickly, in seconds. The tip on the right screen' low injection pressure' had already warn you. Watch the injection pressure panel.

The DB version of the DB 605 has the wrong HUD indicators. You are already in emergency mode at 83% of the lever deflection.
That would require MW50 which is not injected at that point, so your engine dies early. 
Use 80% of the throttle at maximum when you just want to use combat power and 100% for all out power.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

DerSheriff is right, the reason the DB configuration dies more easily is due to the more limited knock resistance of the B4 fuel it uses; the 30 min rating limit was only 1.45ata in this configuration, although the engine manual suggest it could sustain 1.5 ata, and perhaps a little beyond that for safety; going above that manifold pressure without MW injection was inviting trouble, as the detonation would certain to occur, and the G-14 Methanol water system manual makes it clear the methanol injection only started if the throttle was pushed fully forward, as it was that position that an electric switch that started the mw injection was engaged by the throttle. So, basically stay at the 30 min rating (combat power) or slam the throttle fully forward, but never in between. Same goes for the G-14.

The DC configuration of the engine (note it's the same DB605D engine, but with different settings! DB and DC is only a designation for different engine settings) is more forgiving since it uses high octane C3 fuel, that could sustain up to 1.8ata even without MW injection according to the manual (thermal loading may be an issue with the spark plugs on the longer term in practice though), so the margin of error is wider. Of course, if our DB config in real life would also use C3 instead of B4, there would be no such issue, and C3 was generally prescribed, using B4 fuel was a sort of 'in emergency', but the use of B4 fuel is what we have modelled in the sim for the DB configuration.

From what I have seen, its correctly modelled in the sim. I have fell in the same pitfall myself - old Il-2 habits die hard!

Edited by VO101Kurfurst
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:29 AM, DerSheriff said:

The DB version of the DB 605 has the wrong HUD indicators

not true anymore, flew K4 yesterday and combat mode ended at 80%. at 81% it shows emergency.