ShamrockOneFive

Announcing Sturmovikfest 2020!

37 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

We are a week and a half away so it's going to be exciting to see how this comes together and what events there might be.  Even just having a fly-in is a good start.  That can lead into other impromptu activities like large-scale formations and flyouts, etc. 

How does that sound for a start:

When? coming friday, 18:00 PM GMT  ish

Where? 72AG training server

A/C? any, as long it´s an A-20 :lol: (just kidding)

Who? all players interested

Skill? not required

I´ll try to be there. :pilot:

As a guide I digged up an old thread:

• Like 1

^^ @ROCKET_KNUT ^^ It all sounds just great to me (except the time but you can't please everyone)... but I'm just a participant/spectator and not a planner or MP server owner. 

I assume ShamrockOneFive is busy at his desk juggling phone calls and setting up highly massively important video conferences with all the major MP server operators and mission designers so they can collectively plan and scheme for this.   That said, in order to preserve some bandwidth in this thread for the rest of y'all, I am going into standby mode to see what gets announced, or assist in any way possible if requested :)

• Upvote 1

I have a few questions for the experienced server folks:

• Do you have a sense of how many planes a good server can handle at a time in close formation?
  • Would the server better handle several formations in different areas of the map?
  • What effect would recording have on the frame rate?
  • Would multiple people recording make a big difference?
  • Are there any other things I should consider?

FYI, I'm looking at organizing:

• Flights of six
  • Three flights to a squadron of 18, line astern, staggered altitudes (1,400 ft. 1,200 ft., 1,000 ft.)
  • Four squadrons to a wing of 72, formation TBD

I suspect a squadron (18) in close formation is easy enough for a server to handle but more than that may be a challenge.

Hi all,

The response from the community on this has been outstanding so thank you all for doing what you've been doing. A couple of questions that I want to put to everyone right now:

1. A lot of you have contacted me abut doing giveaways of different modules. Outstanding stuff! This is what makes our community really special. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might organize this in some sort of fashion or should we just let this happen organically?
  2. Is there more that we can all do to shout-out to all of the great things going on? I'm doing my best to keep track and provide a long list of supporters but if there's something more please let me know!
  3.  I'd like to work towards having the server and event schedule nailed down. What I'm thinking about is setting up times during the week so that they are during the evening with a European and North American time. Should we go for a third with an Oceana time? The time differences tend to get challenging so I'm not sure if this can work well for everyone but I'm doing my best!

This weekend I'd like to try and nail down some timing with the server administrators and then we'll go from there. We'll also add any special events like the mass formation that @JimTM is working on. If there's other special events give me a shout!

• Upvote 1

Looking forward hear/read Q&A with Jason, never mind the subject getting more info on Il2 future is always exciting!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

This weekend I'd like to try and nail down some timing with the server administrators and then we'll go from there. We'll also add any special events like the mass formation that @JimTM is working on. If there's other special events give me a shout!

Good stuff.  Organic approach could be best for this first time around.

Re: special events, I have been working on a River Race scenario and it's currently working quite well as a coop mission (although only flown alone in coop mode up to this point) for 6 racers and 1 "Race boss".  Easily expandable. And I gotta say, it's a total gas, especially in VR.  It would be SO COOL in MP coop or full-on server.

Since I don't have a server and don't host coops I intend to wrap it up and post it for download in the coop missions section this weekend for anyone who'd like to try it out. Perhaps it could be considered as an event but to do that it I assume it would require the involvement (and perhaps any necessary tweaking) of a willing MP server admin & mission developer.  I will have the mission logic and layout organized as well as possible to make that simple.  Good thing is, it's not a complicated mission. 

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Good stuff.  Organic approach could be best for this first time around.

Re: special events, I have been working on a River Race scenario and it's currently working quite well as a coop mission (although only flown alone in coop mode up to this point) for 6 racers and 1 "Race boss".  Easily expandable. And I gotta say, it's a total gas, especially in VR.  It would be SO COOL in MP coop or full-on server.

Since I don't have a server and don't host coops I intend to wrap it up and post it for download in the coop missions section this weekend for anyone who'd like to try it out. Perhaps it could be considered as an event but to do that it I assume it would require the involvement (and perhaps any necessary tweaking) of a willing MP server admin & mission developer.  I will have the mission logic and layout organized as well as possible to make that simple.  Good thing is, it's not a complicated mission. 

Hopefully one of our popular servers might be interested in running this with you. Even if not, posting it and making it available for people is great! Ping me when you do!

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Hopefully one of our popular servers might be interested in running this with you. Even if not, posting it and making it available for people is great! Ping me when you do!

Ping! 😁

@ShamrockOneFive re Oceania times - There has been a bit of an uptick in the Aussie Il2 community over the last few months, with at least one regular weekly fly in happening with good numbers (relatively speaking). 

Have you gotten any feedback from the oceania timezone? If not, i can nudge some people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -RS-Nolly said:

@ShamrockOneFive re Oceania times - There has been a bit of an uptick in the Aussie Il2 community over the last few months, with at least one regular weekly fly in happening with good numbers (relatively speaking). 

Have you gotten any feedback from the oceania timezone? If not, i can nudge some people.

Yep! I've been talking with Magz and Deadmeat and it sounds like we might make one of the fly-in's The Unprofessionals server or at least we can see what their connection will be like from North America and Europe. Certainly we'll promote the server as an option for people in Oceana to connect to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very excited about this event and already spoke to Shamrock about supporting it. I'm one of the few loonies that stream this game on twitch (despite losing 60%-70% of my usual crowd when doing so), and will do my best to participate and stream as much as the event as I can. Mostly European hours but will try to see what US times I can make when they are posted.

I've also wanted to do a giveaway for some time, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to give something to the community and get some more virtual pilots to show up on my stream, so I stocked up and will be giving away 1 of each module(except normady) and one of each collector's planes to people on stream during this week.

o7 and see you online!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hey folks. A very quick update. I'm working on a tentative schedule right now in a Google doc which I will share with some of the server administrators first for their comment and feedback (we are, after all, going to be crowding their servers) and then I will release that doc to the community. I will do my absolute best to make a post here and on Stormbirds to note any changes to the schedule or additions. And of course if you're doing something special please give me a shout and I'll put it in the schedule.

Even if there are overlapping events I think that'll be fine as I'm betting we're going to fill servers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A pair of dedicated customs for the P-51 and the Bf109 K4

1472831913_Sturmovikfest2020.thumb.jpg.04f5a17f4089385c77ee4fe0f5f26e81.jpg

The skins for both these planes can be downloaded HERE

The Messerschmitt comes both censored and uncensored.

BIG thanks to @ShamrockOneFive and...

Enjoy!!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I know this is a somewhat stupid question...but what is this event going to look like...what will the experience be like? I've got no idea what I'd be signing up for except to say how much I enjoy Great Battles or something? I'm not even sure how to sign up..

(signed)

Hello Boomer

giphy (29).gif

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I know this is a somewhat stupid question...but what is this event going to look like...what will the experience be like? I've got no idea what I'd be signing up for except to say how much I enjoy Great Battles or something? I'm not even sure how to sign up..

(signed)

Hello Boomer

Not a dumb question at all, it's a good one that probably others have not put into words as well as you just did.

Unofficial answer from someone not involved in the actual planning:

It's a social event, first and foremost, so it will take place online on whatever multiplayer servers participate, and at whatever times they choose to do so...definitely not a 24/7 thing.

So rather than showing up in MP and getting shot out of the sky as usual (for some of us) there will be special missions, unique to the scheduled events, with mission briefings explaining the type of event, any rules or instructions, and so forth.  These events should be on a published schedule, so go to the stormbirds website to have a look (not just yet, as it's still to be published as of today).   If you're interested in an event, on that day and time go into Multiplayer and look for said server, connect and read the mission briefing.  I'd expect most events to use comms like Discord or Teamspeak, - although things like this have been done in the past using simple chat, these days most everyone uses voice comms. 

Some of these events may have sign-ups in advance to ensure that interested participants have a slot secured - for example, JimTM's post right above yours. He's trying to arrange a series of formation flights, which will be very very cool to participate in.  So when you go to sign up you'll see what the scheduled times are for those. 

After that it's a matter of showing up on the server at the appointed date and time, having your headset and mic for voice comms turned on and set up with Discord or Teamspeak (both free),  and participating in the event -- for example, you would choose a plane and airport (as instructed or assigned,m more than likely), spawn in and be sitting in your aircraft. From there it's a matter of taking off (if not already spawned in the air) and forming up for a nice long fun formation flight with fellow members of the community.  If you don't have a mic you might even be able to participate passively just listening to the chatter on voice comms for instructions and tips and stuff.  It will be unlike anything you have ever experienced in this sim, and should be quite a sight. 

If there are other events like air racing or what have you, they'll have a similar scheduled time and server, unique mission briefings and instructions/rules.  Show up and have a good time.  Think of it as attending a party as opposed to a war.  :)

The shorter (yet still unofficial) answer is, just show up, you'll dig it.

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

As far as the formation event goes, see the event link in my post.

Edited by JimTM

Could we expect some cooperation against the AI ? It would be niced to be helped and not shot at for once :happy:

:fly:         :fly:

:hunter:

10 minutes ago, Eicio said:

Could we expect some cooperation against the AI ? It would be niced to be helped and not shot at for once :happy:

The formation flying event has no targets and no AI.

Edited by JimTM

6 minutes ago, Eicio said:

Unless there are other events than a mass formation or air racing, shooting AI won't be a factor becuase there won't be any armed AI around. Just human pilots.  What you're describing, where fellow pilots can gang up on AI, can be done in Cooperative mode in Multiplayer, or on some multiplayer serves that have AI baked into the missions.  

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

53 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Unless there are other events than a mass formation or air racing, shooting AI won't be a factor becuase there won't be any armed AI around. Just human pilots.  What you're describing, where fellow pilots can gang up on AI, can be done in Cooperative mode in Multiplayer, or on some multiplayer serves that have AI baked into the missions.  

Well, except that there's no coop servers, the few that exists are usually some friends playing together and are locked.

• Upvote 1

Hey folks!

The tentative schedule for the festival is now put together and I'm slowly working away on the details. I'm still adding in alternative timezones and there will be some tweaks and changes to the schedule. I'm also looking for community input on the timing.

I've worked hard alongside our community members who run multiplayer servers to try and put this together. We can't accommodate absolutely every time zone but I am really trying to link North America with Europe and Oceana together.

Tentative schedule (WIP): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1auYbBRtEJBVvSe8rvrHWaj1be0I2XwicvU69Y5A9UlE/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: If someone can check my AEST times to make sure I have that right... My head is spinning with that many numbers :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Thanks for compiling the schedule ShamrockOnFive.

Just one change to the Sunday mass formation event: Please change "Bodenplatte" to "All" since it's on the BoBP map but it provides all planes from WWI and WWII.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Thanks for compiling the schedule ShamrockOnFive.

Just one change to the Sunday mass formation event: Please change "Bodenplatte" to "All" since it's on the BoBP map but it provides all planes from WWI and WWII.

Done!

Can't wait to take part!

12 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Done!

Can't wait to take part!

Thanks. This one is reserved spots chosen at random (assuming we get more than 54 application for each event). Sign up is here.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eicio said:

If someone wants to setup a PVE scenario I'm all for that and if they want to organize a specific date and time I will happily put it into the schedule.

If team-up is what you're looking for, I am going to do my best to promote that during the event. Discord community links will be placed into the schedule as soon as I'm able and I highly and strongly recommend people taking part in the festival events to join the KOTA, Combat Box, etc. Discord and join in on a voice chat. It's a great way to link up with people and do some teamwork.

• Thanks 1

Anyone streaming any of this for those away from our rigs rn??

8 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Anyone streaming any of this for those away from our rigs rn??

I know @Rhyn0 will be and @Wolfpack345 I believe is too.

Wolfpack's channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX2rH9OfjaRlRdbONXlRtKQ

A little bad news and a forthcoming change of schedule. KOTA is having trouble with their server and I think we're going to have to drop them from the schedule. Any suggestions on where we should go? I want to find someone who has a viable tank scenario so we can get some combined arms gameplay going!

• Thanks 1

Another event for the Oceanic Timezones: 

We've really been exploring the new damage model on this one.... :)

Hope you guys can make it!

Edited by -RS-Nolly
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say what a fantastic event so far.  Between the mass formation flight and doing a bunch of racing on Combat Box's Project R server, it was like an all-day party of Sturmovickgoodness!

• Like 1

Day two of the festival continues! It's a work day for many so there won't be quite as many events going on, however, if you're in Oceana I hope you were able to log in to The Unprofessionals server and check out what they have to offer. For Europe and North America this evening I hope you get a chance to join us on Combat Box for the fly-in there.

See here for details: https://stormbirds.blog/2020/04/27/sturmovikfest-day-two/

Good news! Finnish Virtual Pilots - Dynamic War server will be hosting mid-week events on Tuesday and Wednesday night with some eastern front tank and airplane battles. See the updated schedule for more details!

• Like 1

FYI, there are still spots open for the Wednesday April 29 mass-formation event. Current participant list is here. Sunday's event was very popular so don't miss your chance to fly together with your virtual comrades.  :salute:

Edited by JimTM

For day three we are changing scenery a bit and moving to a new server for the regular fly-in with new times for Europe and North American events. We're going to be on the Finnish Virtual Pilots Server. Thanks to them for being open to having the festival on their server for a couple of days.

Their server is open to all and has a unique format with a moving frontline. Every target destroyed counts towards the moving frontlines. Even more interesting is that the server incorporates Tank Crew into the mix. I'm definitely going to be driving some tanks over the next couple of days.

Details here:

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/04/28/sturmovikfest-day-three-change-of-scenery/

The schedule here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1auYbBRtEJBVvSe8rvrHWaj1be0I2XwicvU69Y5A9UlE/edit?usp=sharing