Announcing Sturmovikfest 2020!

Brilliant!

Sent you question for Jason!

(No, it's not about PTO 🤣)

//B25 and torpedo bombers😉//

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to participating. Great idea!

Wonderful initiative ShamrockOneFive! I'm looking forward to joining in.

One suggestion I have is to do some mass formation flights. I remember we had regular meetups online in RoF and one night we had a formation of 18 aircraft going. Can you imagine a full 84-player server with everyone in formation (in several flights of course). Turn on the smoke and you would probably bring the server down!  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

S! 

Nice initiative! Despite all the differences we might have on things, one is a common one. Passion for IL-2. 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 2

"...organizing a series of fly-in events on different multiplayer servers across the community"

Would these events involve "full realism missions", defined as multiplayer missions involving detailed mission plans, team planning, and "you die once, you die for the rest of the mission" rules? How is it that we do not have dedicated servers running "full realism missions". Now that Friday Night Bomber Flights (FNBF) has stopped, it is time that someone with power (e.g. 1CGS) got something like this started and kept up. That's a question for Jason. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimTM said:

One suggestion I have is to do some mass formation flights. I remember we had regular meetups online in RoF and one night we had a formation of 18 aircraft going. Can you imagine a full 84-player server with everyone in formation (in several flights of course). Turn on the smoke and you would probably bring the server down!  :biggrin:

I remember that with Dr.I's on the New Wings server and am totally down with the idea!

I recall.we also had small teams taking turns doing formation aerobatics while the rest of the crowd spectated from the airfield, airshow style. My old squad also held Airshow events alla time in CFS3. Good stuff even with a max of 16 pilots connected!

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the event, I have sent you 3 question for the Q&A.

How do I use the logos and badges to show support?   Is there one that fits within the rules to use in a signature line (350 pixels by something or other).  Or are we supposed to use it as an avatar?

Will there be T-shirts for sale to facilitate local promotion of the event while I am out walking in the neighborhood?  :)

1 hour ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

Just in case somebody likes to fly an appropriate dressed A-20 for Sturmovikfest. :drinks: As always, template by @ICDP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qimy9ukxgrtblu/A20B_Sturmovikfest.dds?dl=0

20.png

I LOVE THIS! Thank you!

55 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Sounds good, but I don't really understand what exactly this is after having read all the info. 

Primarily it's a multiplayer oriented event with daily fly-in's happening from April 26 to May 3. For some, this is business as usual, for others its an opportunity to get involved with the multiplayer scene... maybe for the first time. Multiple streamers have already stepped in to say they are going to be doing streams. Others have come forward with offers of donating a couple of keys for a battle or a Collector Plane. Still others are doing special content and releasing unique things during this time.

I'm also going to be doing a Q&A with Jason Williams, podcast style, so stay tuned for that.

It's a festival and as much as I've done everything that I can to try and lay some groundwork and help plan for something fun I think the best part will be the organic stuff that everyone else also comes up with.

4 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

How do I use the logos and badges to show support?   Is there one that fits within the rules to use in a signature line (350 pixels by something or other).  Or are we supposed to use it as an avatar?

Will there be T-shirts for sale to facilitate local promotion of the event while I am out walking in the neighborhood?  :)

I didn't think about the signature one but I figured avatars would be better as they are more commonly used.

I hadn't though about t-shirts 😄

18 hours ago, JimTM said:

That sounds spectacular Jim. I'm about at my limit in terms of organizational capacity but if you or someone else wants to put this together I'll put it in the schedule! I love these kinds of ideas.

5 hours ago, Pericles said:

"...organizing a series of fly-in events on different multiplayer servers across the community"

Would these events involve "full realism missions", defined as multiplayer missions involving detailed mission plans, team planning, and "you die once, you die for the rest of the mission" rules? How is it that we do not have dedicated servers running "full realism missions". Now that Friday Night Bomber Flights (FNBF) has stopped, it is time that someone with power (e.g. 1CGS) got something like this started and kept up. That's a question for Jason. 

I hadn't thought about those. I am a big fan of TAW and how demanding that can be from a 'saving your pilot' perspective, however, I think for the purposes of this festival and trying to have as many people jumping into multiplayer I think some of the other setups which are easier to get into would be ideal for most people.

That said, I know ACG and others do a fantastic job of putting together these kinds of detailed planning scenarios.  I did a Q&A with them. You may want to reach out: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/06/23/community-qa-with-the-air-combat-group/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I just want to say thank you for your passion and your efforts! Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

That sounds spectacular Jim. I'm about at my limit in terms of organizational capacity but if you or someone else wants to put this together I'll put it in the schedule! I love these kinds of ideas.

I'll give some thought to how to organize this.

• Like 1

However it's organized... mass formation flight, Dead is Dead, Airshow Style, or Inverted Runway Pass Limbo Competition..... I'm Gettin' EXCITED about this!

😁

Sturmovikfest_02.jpg

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
Changed LImbo to Limbo
  • Like 3

Imagine forming a big wing online, that'd be quite the sight indeed.

Though I'm sure it'd be quite an arse to organize.

https://media.iwm.org.uk/loris/55/569/large_000000.jpg/full/865,/0/default.jpg

...Or having two large formations clash and cause a giant furball  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

This is great! I'm really excited. I'm trying to build hype within my discord crew! 

Massive He-111 formation to destroyer Stalingrad anyone? 

7 hours ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

LMAO :lol:

Oh sure you laugh now at the idea of an Inverted Limbo contest, but check this out, just as a f'rinstance (not saying we have to do it):

Imagine that a group of flyers take turns making inverted passes low over the runway, while someone who owns TacView records a track, which captures the telemetry data.

• The track is shared (to keep things honest) and anyone with TacView can view/replay the telemetry data, which shows altitude to thousandths of meters.
  • Each flyer's performance is reviewed and the one with the lowest survivable altitude on their inverted pass is the winner!
  • To ensure the measurements are accurate, everyone has to fly the same plane, which could be a different plane for different days of the event
  • The winner gets a gift like, oh say a Snickers candy bar, free copy of FC, or all-expenses paid vacation to their living room in recognition of COVID-19 Stay-At-Home practices.

It could totally be done!  And think how entertaining it will be to watch all the scattered, shattered broken parts flying down the runway in a huge fireball from the failed attemtps!

Here's the track I took the above screenshot from - made 3 passes and landed safely (note the dips in the altitude chart).  Once on the runway, altitude (non-inverted) measures at 4.344 meters, or 14 feet, for reference:

Inverted_Limbo_Data.jpg

1 hour ago, -RR-Napoleon- said:

This is great! I'm really excited. I'm trying to build hype within my discord crew! 

Massive He-111 formation to destroyer Stalingrad anyone? 

Heck yeah!  How about a different mass formation flight on different days?  We could use an actual IL-2 once, at least in honor of the title of the sim.... 🤘

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

Another thing we did several times back in the days of CFS3 MP (an underdog around here I know) was "River Racing".  It was incredibly popular and always led to a packed server.  

You find an airfield located adjacent to a nice, wide meandering river, and have everyone spawn in and sit in their aircraft on the ground waiting for a start message over chat or comms from the race marshal.  

• At the signal, everyone guns it and takes off from the airfield in a racehorse, or "Le Mans" style start.  Sounds simple but this is the only hard part, you go through 2-3 false starts until everyone calms down and cooperates. 
  • The race marshal is flying overhead looking for anyone jumping the gun, if they do they are DQ'd
  • Takeoff direction is preferably straight toward the river, with instructions in advance to turn left or right depending on the layout of the river course.
  • Flying the course is an "honor system" approach where  you keep the centerline of the aircraft over water, the shore is the racecourse outline.
  • At that point it's a free-for all scramble down the river to a defined point like a bridge or island.  Imagine P-51's and P-38's duking it out for the lead just a few feet above the water!
  • The race marshal follows the race, keeping an eye out for anyone taking a shortcut over land, and calls the winner at the end of the race over comms (as well as calling a play-by-play of the race action).

Options include making the end point a "turnaround" point which marks the halfway point of the racecourse -  upon reaching it, you have to do a 180 (usually over a very wide part of the river, or vertical to stay over the water) and fly the course back to the starting point, to the delight of any spectators on the ground at the airfield.  

It's really a hoot and you can run different races with classes of planes using different difficulty settings and plane types. A-20 races. Late war American,  Mig-3's, or what have you with simple engine management, or an "Unlimited" class where it's pilot's choice of plane and complex engine management, heck even a U-2VS biplane or Ju-52 race class for people who own 'em.  Kinda like watching the Bus Races at the county fair. :)

We did find it useful to have a CAP flight to deal with any knobs that entered the server and wanted to shoot the racers despite instructions they received on entering the server to the contrary.  

Here's a sample SP mission I roughed out in 30 minutes, someone who knows what they're doing with the mission editor could easily make this a MP misson or coop.  Just imagine doing  this with a whole flight of aircraft spraying water all over the place!

Edit: Slightly cleaned up version with complex triggers instead of check zones so it should work on coop or MP (although that's new ground for me).  Just need to add mucho more plane spawn points and you have a race!

RiverRace.zip

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Oh sure you laugh now at the idea of an Inverted Limbo contest, but check this out, just as a f'rinstance (not saying we have to do it):

Imagine that a group of flyers take turns making inverted passes low over the runway, while someone who owns TacView records a track, which captures the telemetry data.

• The track is shared (to keep things honest) and anyone with TacView can view/replay the telemetry data, which shows altitude to thousandths of meters.
  • Each flyer's performance is reviewed and the one with the lowest survivable altitude on their inverted pass is the winner!
  • To ensure the measurements are accurate, everyone has to fly the same plane, which could be a different plane for different days of the event
  • The winner gets a gift like, oh say a Snickers candy bar, free copy of FC, or all-expenses paid vacation to their living room in recognition of COVID-19 Stay-At-Home practices.

It could totally be done!  And think how entertaining it will be to watch all the scattered, shattered broken parts flying down the runway in a huge fireball from the failed attemtps!

Here's the track I took the above screenshot from - made 3 passes and landed safely (note the dips in the altitude chart).  Once on the runway, altitude (non-inverted) measures at 4.344 meters, or 14 feet, for reference:

Inverted_Limbo_Data.jpg

Heck yeah!  How about a different mass formation flight on different days?  We could use an actual IL-2 once, at least in honor of the title of the sim.... 🤘

It was the naming which made me laugh. I quite like the idea, especially the river race part. The 72AG training server uses the Stalingrad map with a nice river... And some tight river bends, provides for some hilerious splash-moments. Trying to be there this friday.😀

7 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Another thing we did several times back in the days of CFS3 MP (an underdog around here I know) was "River Racing".  It was incredibly popular and always led to a packed server.  

You find an airfield located adjacent to a nice, wide meandering river, and have everyone spawn in and sit in their aircraft on the ground waiting for a start message over chat or comms from the race marshal.  

• At the signal, everyone guns it and takes off from the airfield in a racehorse, or "Le Mans" style start.  Sounds simple but this is the only hard part, you go through 2-3 false starts until everyone calms down and cooperates. 
  • The race marshal is flying overhead looking for anyone jumping the gun, if they do they are DQ'd
  • Takeoff direction is preferably straight toward the river, with instructions in advance to turn left or right depending on the layout of the river course.
  • Flying the course is an "honor system" approach where  you keep the centerline of the aircraft over water, the shore is the racecourse outline.
  • At that point it's a free-for all scramble down the river to a defined point like a bridge or island.  Imagine P-51's and P-38's duking it out for the lead just a few feet above the water!
  • The race marshal follows the race, keeping an eye out for anyone taking a shortcut over land, and calls the winner at the end of the race over comms (as well as calling a play-by-play of the race action).

Options include making the end point a "turnaround" point which marks the halfway point of the racecourse -  upon reaching it, you have to do a 180 (usually over a very wide part of the river, or vertical to stay over the water) and fly the course back to the starting point, to the delight of any spectators on the ground at the airfield.  

It's really a hoot and you can run different races with classes of planes using different difficulty settings and plane types. A-20 races. Late war American,  Mig-3's, or what have you with simple engine management, or an "Unlimited" class where it's pilot's choice of plane and complex engine management, heck even a U-2VS biplane or Ju-52 race class for people who own 'em.  Kinda like watching the Bus Races at the county fair. :)

We did find it useful to have a CAP flight to deal with any knobs that entered the server and wanted to shoot the racers despite instructions they received on entering the server to the contrary.  

Here's a sample SP mission I roughed out in 30 minutes, someone who knows what they're doing with the mission editor could easily make this a MP misson or coop.  Just imagine doing  this with a whole flight of aircraft spraying water all over the place!

RiverRace.zip 14.66 kB · 3 downloads

Class, Just installed it ...... and it's not easy at 450 km in a Yak1b with all them bends. Too easy to cheat ...

Now this opens up a lot of 'non combat' sim fun possibilities. Also for skinners.

Lets ask the devs for specific air-race object add-ons like pylons, umpire platforms, ships with a floating camera view point (maybe there already, and a special add-on section for Jim_TMs manual. Howzabout player entity controlled speed boats BTW? 

6 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Class, Just installed it ...... and it's not easy at 450 km in a Yak1b with all them bends. Too easy to cheat ...

Now this opens up a lot of 'non combat' sim fun possibilities. Also for skinners.

Lets ask the devs for specific air-race object add-ons like pylons, umpire platforms, ships with a floating camera view point (maybe there already, and a special add-on section for Jim_TMs manual. Howzabout player entity controlled speed boats BTW? 

Glad you like it and I cleaned up the object groups and updated the mission to make it easier to fool around with and convert to coop or multi. 

I like the challenge of using what we have - there's actually plenty of useful objects and tools already IMO.    Although I would love to have some kind of stopwatch function MCU that could be used to display elapsed times.  But this isn't that kind of sim so it's a fun challenge to work around the limits,.

I am for this but a bit dense...how will this work? Online? Blogging? I haven’t a clue...

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I am for this but a bit dense...how will this work? Online? Blogging? I haven’t a clue...

Looking at the Stormbirds website there is a framework schedule laid out with details to be announced and a list of supporting servers.  So we keep an eye open on there and in the meantime it's probably a good idea to make sure your discord comms (also TS3) for those servers are set up and working, if not done so already. Then I imagine it should be just a matter of joining whatever server at the announced time and date for each event coming up and be ready to go flying and have a good time.  Make sure your have your UTC-to-local time conversion method worked out since i imagine times will be posted in GMT.

We are a week and a half away so it's going to be exciting to see how this comes together and what events there might be.  Even just having a fly-in is a good start.  That can lead into other impromptu activities like large-scale formations and flyouts, etc. 

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I think it's MP group gatherings, with missions, races etc. in a few servers and using comms (discord or teamspeak). Not necessarily all combat.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

2 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Glad you like it and I cleaned up the object groups and updated the mission to make it easier to fool around with and convert to coop or multi. 

I like the challenge of using what we have - there's actually plenty of useful objects and tools already IMO.    Although I would love to have some kind of stopwatch function MCU that could be used to display elapsed times.  But this isn't that kind of sim so it's a fun challenge to work around the limits,.

I've been messing around with it. Like setting a waypointed route for Ai. The Yak1 wont follow easily waypoints at short distances sofar,  but an Albatross does.

Only problem is as i found out with another river route is that there are no smooth curves possible, just sharp turns, and i couldn't get the Albatross to fly under the bridge near the finish yet. Done it before with the Rhine-Lorelei route and a P38. That also worked better with a slow WW1 plane.

The sport of course is (for SP-er like me?) to set up another plane and chase the Ai .... curious about your update, mine is not ready yet, 

also because i am not an expert mission maker LoL.

Edited by jollyjack