Joystick issues permanently affecting keyboard commands?!

I’ve had a Saitek X-55 Rhino joystick/throttle HOTAS for some years now and, after some initial teething problems, it’s served me reasonably well.

However, and I believe that since the most recent “IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles” update, I’ve had problems with my X-55 HOTAS which now APPEARS to have affected the flight sim itself!!

Let me explain:

- after having the problems, as described above, I decided to uninstall the software and driver for my X-55 HOTAS and ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’

- after downloading and reinstalling ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’ I tested the ‘machine guns’ - that was by pressing the RAlt + Space keys on the keyboard - it worked perfectly, firing a burst of machine gun fire for us long as I held down RAlt + Space keys.

- I then downloaded and installed the software and drivers for my X-55 HOTAS

- I then programmed RAlt + Space to the trigger on the X-55 joystick (usin* the X-55 HOTAS profile software).

- Saved the settings on the X-55 HOTAS and restarted my PC

- Booted up ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’ and set up a Quick Mission

- Pressed the joystick trigger and there was an audible click ... but nothing else  - funnily enough, one can see the firing button on the joystick, on the screen/in the sim being depressed, but no firing!

- I then tried the key combination on the keyboard (RAlt + Space) and, again, no firing but the same as with the joystick ie a click, depression of the gun button, but no burst of machine gun fire.

- I then uninstalled the X-55 HOTAS software and drivers, restarted my PC and then again tried the key combination (RAlt + Space)  - no difference - the keys NOW don’t get the machine gun to fire!

- Changed the key for ‘Machine Guns’ (in “Key Settings” of “IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles”) to a single key (I can’t remember which one) and again the machine guns don’t fire!

A BIG MYSTERY!! 

Any ideas on this?

1 hour ago, Mungee said:

I’ve had a Saitek X-55 Rhino joystick/throttle HOTAS for some years now and, after some initial teething problems, it’s served me reasonably well.

However, and I believe that since the most recent “IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles” update, I’ve had problems with my X-55 HOTAS which now APPEARS to have affected the flight sim itself!!

Let me explain:

- after having the problems, as described above, I decided to uninstall the software and driver for my X-55 HOTAS and ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’

- after downloading and reinstalling ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’ I tested the ‘machine guns’ - that was by pressing the RAlt + Space keys on the keyboard - it worked perfectly, firing a burst of machine gun fire for us long as I held down RAlt + Space keys.

- I then downloaded and installed the software and drivers for my X-55 HOTAS

- I then programmed RAlt + Space to the trigger on the X-55 joystick (usin* the X-55 HOTAS profile software).

- Saved the settings on the X-55 HOTAS and restarted my PC

- Booted up ‘IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles’ and set up a Quick Mission

- Pressed the joystick trigger and there was an audible click ... but nothing else  - funnily enough, one can see the firing button on the joystick, on the screen/in the sim being depressed, but no firing!

- I then tried the key combination on the keyboard (RAlt + Space) and, again, no firing but the same as with the joystick ie a click, depression of the gun button, but no burst of machine gun fire.

- I then uninstalled the X-55 HOTAS software and drivers, restarted my PC and then again tried the key combination (RAlt + Space)  - no difference - the keys NOW don’t get the machine gun to fire!

- Changed the key for ‘Machine Guns’ (in “Key Settings” of “IL-2 Sturmovik : Great Battles”) to a single key (I can’t remember which one) and again the machine guns don’t fire!

A BIG MYSTERY!! 

Any ideas on this?

Hi,

I've got the same combo like you (Rhino X-55). Like you, I used to run the profile software included (MadKatz IIRC?) to create different modes (three stage button on the left
of the throttle base) like NAV, AA and AG sort of. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Finally I got more problems than any use with it. So I uninstalled the profile software.

Now I run the Rhino X-55 without any other software, just as is and got rid of any problems since. I would suggest to uninstall the profile software and remap all buttons

and axis directly in the game. I did it that way and never ever had any issues since then. Maybe you should consider this approach and have a go. Just make sure, your

OS recognizes your joystick and throttle as input device. That's all.

Cheerio