Carpet bombing and area flak.

To have flak firing to different planes, you can group flak units under a flak leader entity.

Let's say you have 4 flak groups, then you can define for each flak group an attacking aerial targets area. TIN this way they are disconnected from one another.

You can also have the bombing squadrons being also separate groups and have a group of flak attack a bomber squadron, using the Attack command. 

In this way you are sure that each bomber group gets attacked separately by a flak group.

Finally you can mix individual flak units firing on a given area for aerial targets and flak groups more specific to a bomber group.

In this way you will end up with a mix of directed and random flak fire. By playing on different AI capability with each flak unit you get a realistic scenario.

To be nice this means for 20 bombers maybe 60 to 80 flak units. Every unit needs time to reload, mainly the big guns. This is why you need many to have a global sustained rate of fire. The more you have in a way the better if you want the sky filled with black mushrooms. Just as a reminder in total heavy flak units built in WWII where about 27'000, of which 20'000 of famous 88 units. So big cities were protected by hundreds of AAA gun units of various calibers.

As for carpet bombing same thing. You create groups of bombers with each a leader, that have each  an area to bomb. By placing the areas in a well defined pattern, according to the positions of the bomber groups in the sky you get perfect carpet bombing. All this is a lot of work to well set up the bombers groups their formation in the sky, their relative position, their speed, the waypoints for each the areas etc.. But the results can be like you see in the footage from WWII films.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

This works pretty well actually. The only thing that is quite annoying for me that bomber always drop all bombs at once.

Is there a way to change the bomb drop interval for each bomber?

cheers and kind regards

8 hours ago, Nihilion said:

This works pretty well actually. The only thing that is quite annoying for me that bomber always drop all bombs at once.

cheers and kind regards

Nope

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, Nihilion said:

cheers and kind regards

With a Yak7 and 2 bombs i just bombed one ship with one bomb flipping the switch briefly, and later a second ship with the other bomb.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, jollyjack said:

With a Yak7 and 2 bombs i just bombed one ship with one bomb flipping the switch briefly, and later a second ship with the other bomb.

Oh I meant AI level bombers like A20, peshkas etc. when I program them in the editor.

Yeah, you're right. It's all or nothing, just tried it.

Maybe some clever mission maker can create a group file addressing that via the OnBingoBombs function.

In real life a drunk stops vomiting temporarily when da police is coming ... why not an A20?

10 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Yeah, you're right. It's all or nothing, just tried it.

Maybe some clever mission maker can create a group file addressing that via the OnBingoBombs function.

In real life a drunk stops vomiting temporarily when da police is coming ... why not an A20?

That wouldn't be realistic at all. It would be flat out suicide for a level bombing run to make two passes - let alone a third pass!