Jump to content

Pacific Theater! Yes, Please!


What part of the Pacific Theater would you like to see first?  

236 members have voted

  1. 1. What part of the Pacific Theater would you like to see first?

    • Battle of Midway
      84
    • China Air War (before US involvment. A.K.A. Flying Tigers)
      30
    • Battle of Coral Sea
      21
    • Battle of Guadalcanal
      83
    • Something Other than those mentioned above (Specify in your post please)
      18


Recommended Posts

On 7/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, CountZero said:

Here is why no PTO still and whats problem with it, from 27:55

 

 

 

Thank you for the video.  I appreciate it.  I'd be more than happy with a "This is as close as we can get to accurate with available data, we will update and correct as we get more data" kind of approach to the Pacific Theater.  But then, I'm not a big history buff, just a plane nut that loves video games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 3:34 AM, Lupus said:

 

Thank you for the video.  I appreciate it.  I'd be more than happy with a "This is as close as we can get to accurate with available data, we will update and correct as we get more data" kind of approach to the Pacific Theater.  But then, I'm not a big history buff, just a plane nut that loves video games.

 

 

They appear to be still doubtful and the only info one can get is from restoration planes...or under restoration...but then there is the docs, ships data etc...

 

It seems seeing the Pacific Theater has only a very slim chance or none at all.

 

They also appear to be more intent on Naval theater. But is there is possibility for IJAAF land based theater only focus?

Edited by jojy47jojyrocks
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 1:19 AM, Eisenfaustus said:

Pacific Theatre without carriers? Sounds like Western Front without heavy bombers...

;)

 

So completely doable then - just not ideal from a certain perspective - this is of course what you must mean.

 

Otherwise if it was someone else who meant that statement differently...I’d say it would illustrate a wee lack of perspective on the PTO. What role carriers actually played (and didn’t play) in the theater. It would mean that you haven’t picked up a book (I recommend Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank) and read about the Solomons or New Guinea, and further were unaware that carriers were stashed out of harm’s way on both sides for 18 MONTHS during the most pivotal period of the war.

 

Carriers are great, and obviously desirable, but they hardly define the history of the PTO. 

 

ETO is doable without heavies (it’s called tactical ops) and PTO is doable without carriers (called Guadalcanal/Solomons/New Guinea)

 

Not saying I don’t want carriers, but the land battles are where the war was won and lost. Battles took place involving carriers - campaigns happened over the Islands. ;)

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, Gambit21 said:

 

So completely doable then - just not ideal from a certain perspective - this is of course what you must mean.

 

Otherwise if it was someone else who meant that statement differently...I’d say it would illustrate a wee lack of perspective on the PTO. What role carriers actually played (and didn’t play) in the theater. It would mean that you haven’t picked up a book (I recommend Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank) and read about the Solomons or New Guinea, and further were unaware that carriers were stashed out of harm’s way on both sides for 18 MONTHS during the most pivotal period of the war.

 

Carriers are great, and obviously desirable, but they hardly define the history of the PTO. 

 

ETO is doable without heavies (it’s called tactical ops) and PTO is doable without carriers (called Guadalcanal/Solomons/New Guinea)

 

Not saying I don’t want carriers, but the land battles are where the war was won and lost. Battles took place involving carriers - campaigns happened over the Islands. ;)

 

 

+1

 

They did say in those interviews that it is VERY difficult to glean much needed info for those Japanese Naval assets. So my suggestion would be to focus more on Land battles from IJAAF. So far...as it stands...They have stated that the progress has come to an indefinite pause. Also there are not much info to get from restored aircraft's found in museums. Most of the data is still a mystery concerning Japanese NAVAL planes barring the famous Zero.

 

Also the Japanese themselves are not so keen to revisit or concern themselves much with their history. Most of their historical assets and the data on it is very sparse.

 

The only DIFFERENT theater I see is from the Mediterranean theater on the Italian side. Pretty sure we could get info much better than on the Japanese assets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18.04.2020 в 23:39, DD_fruitbat сказал:

 

In large parts yes. The J2M Raiden was an abomination just to name one.... 

а что с ним было не так? по цифрам просто чудо-истребитель.

 

what was wrong with him? by numbers, just a miracle fighter.

I am for the confrontation between f6f, f4u, ki-84, j2m, a6m

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

I’d buy a Pacific game the day it came out

 

1 hour ago, Props said:

Hell, I do you one better;-) I'd buy it in pre-release in a heartbeat!  

 

But would you buy it for 100-120$ with 3 japan navy airplanes only and lets say 5 usa ones, and most of internal guagues and system are on best guess base.

And with for example SP campaign having only few battles with them. I think thats the hold up, what they can do now and for what price, so most ppl buy it and it dosent make big hole in balance of company in time of uncertanti in world, i just dont see how they can go for that risk now with all mess in world if other options are easyer to make and somehow safe. They wont to do it on same standard but cant for most japan airplanes and in safe way from what they keep saying.

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was like IL2 BOS or close to it, yes I'd pay up. $79 for base game.

 

Zero, Val, Kate, Oscar.

 

P-40, Wildcat, Dauntless, Devastator, Buffalo, Hurricane, Gladiator.

 

Then have DLCs for planes like B-17, Betty, Nell.

 

Later on they could add DLCs for the Solomon's, and later periods of the war and add appropriate planes. 100% total accuracy isn't necessary.

 

or...

 

They could also just do a set battle and time period like BOS/Kuban. Start off with the Solomons 42-43 period. That seems like a good starting point. You could do a good Solomons game with 4 Japanese (Zero, Val, Oscar, Betty) and 3 American ones (Wildcat, TBF, SBD).

 

They already have base P-38, although its a later model, as well as P-40, P-39, A20.

 

Then later on DLC for B-25, Ki-45, F-4U.

 

Throw in a couple of cruisers, destroyers, small boats and barges and you have a great Pacific game.

Edited by tiger_0988
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BroGrimm1tkcamp said:

I would do ANY PTO, been waiting along time. I had purchased everything offered in support of the team hoping to see PTO. I have not bought Normandy yet. I was very disappointed after no announcement following Bodenplatte   

 

I purchased Kuban basically to get to PTO.

That it didn't happen back then was a huge disappointment but I know Jason was as (or more) disappointed than anyone.

He made a good call with Rhineland, and leads perfectly into Normandy.

 

That said...

 

Without PTO, (and taking into account theaters being done by Team Fusion for CloD) the list of highly marketable WWII theaters for GB grows thin indeed.

I'm not saying there aren't any without PTO, I'm saying the ones you can market to a wide audience are fairly few and straightforward after Normandy.

More Russia - meh. I can make an argument both ways. Too soon to go back there I think, especially when for many users PTO was the end goal and reason for investment

in the 3 Russia releases more or less.

 

WWII was expansive, but plausible, widely popular, revenue producing releases are less expansive. Bottom line is that sooner or later, it's Pacific or bust.

Difficulties with many Japanese aircraft aside, you can't just leave that Zero, Rufe, Hellcat, Wildcat, Corsair, PBY revenue on the table forever. Not to mention the gameplay

they offer. 

 

I will pay a premium for this, I think many of us will

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Without PTO, (and taking into account theaters being done by Team Fusion for CloD) the list of highly marketable WWII theaters for GB grows thin indeed.

 

Yeah. If there is another big project following Normandy, I'd speculate that it must be Pacific, late Eastern Front, or Korea (listed in order of decreasing likelihood).

 

We no longer have any big Western options that don't overlap with Normandy or CloD. Eastern Front 1944/45 could be exciting in terms of Soviet aircraft, but another batch of intermediate 109s and 190s seems questionable. I bring up Korea only because it was nearly done in the past, so clearly someone thought it was a good idea. However, I'd be surprised if it were chosen before the Pacific.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the next release after Normandy will be a Pacific themed release.  It doesn't even have to have carriers, just give folks something since this is obviously a much requested theatre.  CBI (China Burma India) would be a good start and would make use of several of the aircraft we're getting or already have in the sim plus could add some really cool aircraft:

 

Allies - A-36A, P-40K, Spit VIII, B-25G, P-40C (Collector Aircraft)

Japanese - Ki-43i, Ki-43iii, Ki-21, Ki-61, Ki-27a (Collector Aircraft)

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Hopefully the next release after Normandy will be a Pacific themed release.  It doesn't even have to have carriers, just give folks something since this is obviously a much requested theatre.  CBI (China Burma India) would be a good start and would make use of several of the aircraft we're getting or already have in the sim plus could add some really cool aircraft:

 

Allies - A-36A, P-40K, Spit VIII, B-25G, P-40C (Collector Aircraft)

Japanese - Ki-43i, Ki-43iii, Ki-21, Ki-61, Ki-27a (Collector Aircraft)

I liked the Burma map and plane set in the old IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946.  Your Allies list could also include the P-47 Thunderbolt (if 1944-1945) or the Hawker Hurricane Mark IIC used by the RAF from bases in India.  Advantage would be that they're ready-made.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, No105_Swoose said:

I liked the Burma map and plane set in the old IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946.  Your Allies list could also include the P-47 Thunderbolt (if 1944-1945) or the Hawker Hurricane Mark IIC used by the RAF from bases in India.  Advantage would be that they're ready-made.

Yeah, they did a good job with 1946, its still one of my favorite combat flight sims.  I left out the P-47 and Hurricane since we already have them in or coming to the sim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

 

We no longer have any big Western options that don't overlap with Normandy or CloD. Eastern Front 1944/45 could be exciting in terms of Soviet aircraft, but another batch of intermediate 109s and 190s seems questionable. 

 

Precisely.

 

It's the 109/190 vs X thing which would have me skeptical about more Eastern Front from a wide-base marketability standpoint.

That's also the "problem" if you want to call it that, with Africa to large extent. (Team Fusion aside) Not a problem if you just want 109's and 190's all day long of course.

 

If I want a 109 or 190 fix, I have plenty to keep me busy.

109G this, G that...enough.

 

I see people say Italy...but no way an Italy map happens IMO.

I can just imagine the moaning and groaning and whining and bitching about this or that down isn't on there etc.

Italy would be an extraordinarily complex map and a no-win for the Devs...I don't see it happening. Plus more 109's...😝

 

To stay alive and grow the user base the sim needs diversity, new experience, different plane sets.

We're still missing float planes completely as well.

 

I acknowledge the many bombers, recce aircraft, transports etc that could still be created for both Russia and Germany, but that's not going to move product as the basis for a full release.

I'd love a Storch, an Fw300, an Arado ar 196, etc etc.

Fighter vs fighter is the bread and butter however.

 

We'll always arrive back at PTO or move along to Korea, but Korea is a flash in the pan...can't get more than one release out of that theater.

PTO is the pay dirt.

 

Edited by Gambit21
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It’s a Russian dev team.  We’re getting the iconic late war Russian aircraft at some point.

Maybe, but I won't buy it that's for sure. If they are going to do that it would almost make sense to do Korea, outside the mig 15 all the north flew were late ww2 russian props, add 4 of those along side the mig 15 and you kill 2 birds with 1 stone since we've got late war german planes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, Gambit21 said:

Too soon to go back there I think

 

We've had three USSR packs and now have two West European packs in a row. Toss in CoD's Africa pack, and we're even up WAllies/USSR with the last three going to WAllies. Even if you discount CoD, and I don't think you can if BoX is not going to directly compete with them, then the last two packs will have been WAllied. A year from now, I'd welcome the next pre-release to be something else from the USSR's side of the fence. Considering the amount of fighting that went on there, it makes sense for more than half of the releases be about the theater.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It’s a Russian dev team.  We’re getting the iconic late war Russian aircraft at some point.

 

Without a doubt.

Whether that (and map) happens in the context of a full release is the question.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Have you seen this news From Microprose:

 

https://www.microprose.com/games/task-force-admiral/

It does look like the beginning of a Pacific Air War game people yearn for.

 

Judging from the preview videos & screenshots ,it looks as if it is in Alpha....maybe others have more current news?

 

There’s been a TFA thread in the off-topic/other games sub-forum for a long time. The actual developers post there - Microprose is just the publisher.

 

Also it’s not a flight sim.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...