Lupus

Pacific Theater! Yes, Please!

What part of the Pacific Theater would you like to see first?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the Pacific Theater would you like to see first?

• Battle of Midway
    • China Air War (before US involvment. A.K.A. Flying Tigers)
    • Battle of Coral Sea
    • Battle of Guadalcanal
    • Something Other than those mentioned above (Specify in your post please)

Posted (edited)

Wow, I've just re-installed IL-2 1946, patched and updated it and installed the BAT mod just because I want to fly in the Pacific Theater with Aircraft Carriers.  I would really love to have the Pacific Theater implemented into this game.  That would be awesome!

I was curious to see what part of the pacific theater people would prefer to start with?  Might help the developers in focusing on where to start.

Edited by Lupus
  • Like 2

Personally wish anything from mid 1943, with active using Hellcats and Corsairs.

In general, I would just want to fly my Zero 😄 Apart from that, Midway would be a nice lineup, and theoretically it could finish just about any battle until 1942. If you then include maps like Pearl Harbour or/and the Coral Sea, it would be a brilliant set.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

China Air war for me, would include P40C's and our P40E might get some attention egine wise.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Solomon Islands Campaign.   Naval aviation with the Corsair, TBM Avenger.  A-20-G Havoc, P-38's etc.   Similar aircraft for the IJN.

Edited by 365th-FG_Collins

I would love New Guinea but I would love carrier missions and Dauntless, Devastator, Kate, Val , more. 
But this is a poll and discussion not worth taking. It has been done so many times

Apparently, in both the Eastern and late war Western Fronts the devs have done a middle battle, then went back, and then jumped forward to a continuation of the middle battle. Ex. Stalingrad, then Moscow, then Kuban 1943. Bodenplatte, Normandy, and likely Berlin.

Given that, it’s likely that the devs would do something like Guadalcanal, then Midway, and then something like New Guinea/Rabaul.

Personally, I’d want Guadalcanal first as there would be more land areas than in the advances to Midway.

If they did Midway first, it in my mind would be kind of boring of attacking ships and Carriers as the only real ground targets.

Salute

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Apparently, in both the Eastern and late war Western Fronts the devs have done a middle battle, then went back, and then jumped forward to a continuation of the middle battle. Ex. Stalingrad, then Moscow, then Kuban 1943. Bodenplatte, Normandy, and likely Berlin.

Given that, it’s likely that the devs would do something like Guadalcanal, then Midway, and then something like New Guinea/Rabaul.

Personally, I’d want Guadalcanal first as there would be more land areas than in the advances to Midway.

If they did Midway first, it in my mind would be kind of boring of attacking ships and Carriers as the only real ground targets.

Salute

Yeah, but that's what I'm hungry for right now.  Taking off from carriers with no place to make an emergency landing.  The fine art of skip bombing.  The thrill of realizing that after all the fighting is done.  That after just managing to win and get out with our life.  Having lost full rudder and/or elevator stability control, NOW you have to manage to put your crate down on the pitching deck of a boat the size of the your tie down area from back home?  Man.  That's what I'm missing right now.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:11 PM, CountZero said:

LOL 

This time last year you were so sure. 

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

This time last year you were so sure. 

Even few months ago :)  but if they were not able to colect info on Japan airplanes after big succes that last DLC cycle was, there is no way they gona have money or time to spend on hunting data now when we have big recesion for next few years, if they have next DLC it will be something easy to make as its not time to go for recorce heavy things.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CountZero said:

Even few months ago :)  but if they were not able to colect info on Japan airplanes after big succes that last DLC cycle was, there is no way they gona have money or time to spend on hunting data now when we have big recesion for next few years, if they have next DLC it will be something easy to make as its not time to go for recorce heavy things.

So they should start small.  No need to put together the entire Pacific Theater at once.  Their boiler plate seems to be 8 aircraft with 2 collector planes for each BoX.  This seems to break down to 4 and 1 collector plane for each side.  Do something with small landmasses and a lot of water.  Maybe start with only 2 or 3 ships.  Heck, when they first allowed you to buy into BoS they only had 2 planes and 1 small map.  No real career.  All that came through development during early access, if I remember correctly.  I'd throw the cost of a collector series at them for that, and the promise of more.  I did it when they came out with BoS and I wasn't the only one.

Edited by Lupus
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lupus said:

So they should start small.  No need to put together the entire Pacific Theater at once.  Their boiler plate seems to be 8 aircraft with 2 collector planes for each BoX.  This seems to break down to 4 and 1 collector plane for each side.  Do something with small landmasses and a lot of water.  Maybe start with only 2 or 3 ships.  Heck, when they first allowed you to buy into BoS they only had 2 planes and 1 small map.  No real career.  All that came through development during early access, if I remember correctly.  I'd throw the cost of a collector series at them for that, and the promise of more.  I did it when they came out with BoS and I wasn't the only one.

From what i read they can get info only on Zero, so yes they could start small and do Burma or New guinea with Zero, Zero and Zero vs 3 american airplanes 😄

1 hour ago, CountZero said:

From what i read they can get info only on Zero, so yes they could start small and do Burma or New guinea with Zero, Zero and Zero vs 3 american airplanes 😄

Really?  Didn't the original IL-2 use any actual data when they built their flight models?  Or did they just "make it all up"?

15 minutes ago, Lupus said:

Really?  Didn't the original IL-2 use any actual data when they built their flight models?  Or did they just "make it all up"?

Standards demands are higher here, i doubt FM would be big problem more internal parts of airplanes.

5 hours ago, Lupus said:

In large parts yes. The J2M Raiden was an abomination just to name one.... 

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2020 at 4:39 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

I'm still having fits of hard core anger from the LA-7 and that infernal I-185.     B & Z fighting was the only way to kill the things if you flew Allied iron.  Even then you better have enough energy after the pass to put you on the moon if you expected to live.  

I'm just now getting back into sim flying after quitting 1946 completely in 2008.        

I hope this game will relight the fires that once burned as bright as a magnesium fire. 

Edited by Olander

On 4/18/2020 at 1:39 PM, DD_fruitbat said:

Some of the later '46 AC were clown cars extrodinaire. I was once chased down in a P-51 over a twenty minute period by a J2M. That footrace was pure fantasy.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:46 AM, CountZero said:

End of the Reich seems like a good path now. All of the  really late war to '46 stuff and close out that side of the series. Much of it will include some unicorns. There is still some Med and West Front options but the sister program is hogging some of that expandability. Pacific is way down the road but I think it will still get done.

Posted (edited)

Kind of an aside question - how does BAT for Pacific Theater differ from VP Mod Pack for Pacific Theater for IL2 1946? I have VP Mod, wondering if I'm missing something newer/more upgraded. Mainly interested in Pacific Theater when I fly IL2 1946.

Edited by Krispy_Duck

On 4/25/2020 at 8:42 AM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

sister program is hogging some of that expandability

I had the same opinion. After taking closer look at the "sister program" my view on who might be hogging changed to the opposite.

15 hours ago, Krispy_Duck said:

Kind of an aside question - how does BAT for Pacific Theater differ from VP Mod Pack for Pacific Theater for IL2 1946? I have VP Mod, wondering if I'm missing something newer/more upgraded. Mainly interested in Pacific Theater when I fly IL2 1946.

They're both great. BAT has more planes. 

There is Pacific money sitting there on the table - even with just a flyable Zero and Oscar for the Japanese side. Grabbing that revenue will require a different approach/mind-set from past releases - but it’s definitely sitting there.

I think most of us will take whatever PTO they can give us if the other choice is no PTO.

That said I don’t waste energy thinking about it anymore. I’ve had to let that dream go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/15/2020 at 4:34 AM, Werner_Voss said:

Instead of all the other selectable options, I would really appreciate  Philippines campaign (1944–1945)  - or the Liberation Of The Philippines (1944-1945) .

Kind regards.

Seconded.

Leyte is just everything galore. Competitive and balanced planeset on both sides, an actual land campaign, some seaborne action, acceptable distances for gameplay purpose... Really, just this one please.

• Upvote 2

it would really be interesting to see what happens with the series here, i think alot of people want pacific, hell id be happy with any type of naval type combat. even if that means off the coast of italy :) i enjoy seeing this sim develop and grow. from what it once was, to what it is now, it has taken massive strides. and im thankful it even exists at all :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2020 at 3:26 PM, CountZero said:

IIRC there were no Zeros over Burma.

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper

4 hours ago, Atomic_359 said:

it would really be interesting to see what happens with the series here, i think alot of people want pacific, hell id be happy with any type of naval type combat. even if that means off the coast of italy :) 

Agree completely.  I'll settle for a Skyraider off Inchon if it comes to it.:)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Careful what you wish for ;)

47096885-F4CE-426A-96A1-F0D95893A73E.jpeg

HAHA thats great, ive seen this photo many times

I voted 'other,' as my choice would be Japan '45.

The Zero's a great plane that I'm sure everyone wants to fly, but that said, I personally have zero interest in it. Japan's late war planes sacrificed little in the way of maneuverability, yet included all the modern conveniences of pilot armor, self-sealing tanks, and a generally stronger structure. The only reason said late war planes barely had an impact, was that they were built in tiny numbers, and manned by largely inexperienced pilots. But they were excellent designs. Arguably the best balanced planes in WWII, in terms of speed, agility, and firepower.

The Zero lacked armor and speed because it was built from scratch knowing fully that it would be underpowered. The only way to match the Navy's requirements for range was to sacrifice weight for anything considered non-essential, like armor. The only way to get any kind of speed out of such a weak engine (because Japan lacked, and would continue to lack, more powerful ones for years) was, again, to reduce weight by all means possible.

The Zero was thus doomed to be quickly outpaced in any arms race; which wouldn't have mattered at all, if the Japanese had the industry and resources to replace it when it should have been replaced, by late 1942. It was unacceptable to have a plane as the mainstay of any air force with a top speed of ~330 MPH in 1942. Replacing it in '43 would already be too late, as the momentum had turned against Japan. But I digress.

My ideal lineup for a Japan '45 DLC is as follows:

America: Hellcat, Corsair, Avenger, Catalina, and Black Widow (P-61). The Catalina wouldn't really make sense in that lineup, but flying boats are fun.

Japan: Frank, George II, Jack, Nick, and the Ki-100 Goshikisen (no American nickname). No bombers for Japan at this stage in the war.

I would love to see any sort of Malayan air-campaign, but realise that it would be rather limited as the Allies main fighter was the Buffalo.

So I'll stick to pre-Flying Tigers Chinese air war for now.

Bring on those Peashooters and I-15bis biplanes!

*Hopefully we can get our i-153 through the backdoor now 🤔

ROCAF I-15bis.png

Here is why no PTO still and whats problem with it, from 27:55

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CountZero said:

Here is why no PTO still and whats problem with it, from 27:55

Thank you for sharing this!!!!!

• Like 1

I love Japanese planes and in the old IL-2 the Zero was well modeled including it's problem with hard right banks at high speed, though a bit more robust than historical data would suggest, but still a worthy adversary even late in the war if you had your wits about you. Also adore the George which was well modeled. And becoming a good carrier pilot in all manner of Axis and Allied aircraft definitely made me a better pilot (my ex-Navy flight instructor was appreciative of my short approach abilities when I was learning to fly as a direct result of practicing my carrier approach in game with the Corsair!-). I would like to see a Guadalcanal / Up the Solomons campaign which would progress through many of the best aircraft on both sides from the Wildcat, P-40, etc to the later Hellcats, Corsairs and P-38s as well as the late model Zeros, Ki-61s, etc. My other preference is early New Guinea or late war around Okinawa, Iwo Jima etc. so we can play with P-51's vs Nik-j2 or Ki-84s vs Corsairs and Mustangs. And for you bomber guys Beaufighters, Mitchells, and Bostons all really fun to fly too in the Pacific.

To be honest anything with carriers will do. And though I saw grumblings elsewhere about the long distances involved and the possibilities of hours of flight over water, these doubts were addressed in the old game as the maps and scenarios were well done by Zekes and Wildcats, and in-game, so well that I rarely found myself flying for more than 10 minutes or so without finding something to shoot at (or dying horribly). I do know that a few of my flying compatriots from that period did not want to hassle with the learning curve involved with flying and landing on a carrier, so the Solomons or New Guinea campaigns are probably a little friendlier for everyone to get started with. The carriers could be added later, maybe.....naww! Give me a flightdeck Please! 

Though I am a student of WW2 aviation history and enjoy the European theater a bunch (just bought all Great Battles titles, just waiting for some PC parts to arrive so I can install and start flying again), I have to admit I spend more time studying up on the Pacific air war and island hopping campaigns so I am a little biased in this regard.

Just saw the video (well heard) and it made me salivate!  (Figuratively) 

As far as the Pacific Theater, 'They' erm... "Cracked that nut" as it where, in IL2-Pacific fighters rather well I thought. 

I want the Pacific theater as much as, and perhaps more than anyone else. One of the reasons I got this game is... well actually, the VR support.  Fracking Awesome!  (BSG)  The other reason is the hope of a Pacific Theater.  I want to fly a Zeros & Corsairs (Hint- C model with 4x20mms) & F6Fs, F4Fss, & Tonys & Georges & so on and so on...there are so many... and I know of the struggle and desire to get everything accurate of which I for one am very appreciative.   Respect to those that made that happen. :pioneer:

So, as a fan and customer, I would be happy with what every they can get in the game.  Just as long as there are Carrier operations!  I miss that a lot and want it so bad.  I NEED to land a on a carrier in VR. :fly:

I know we can't have it all, I want it all, but that just isn't going to happen.  I know I won't get my favorite planes of the era.  Doesn't mean I won't still buy everything I can get my hands on to fly it in VR.  (Favorites being the J7W and the Do 335... there are more)  I loved the 1946 expansion that added all the exotic experimental stuff.  I would love to fly all those again in VR, BUT again that will not happen... I WILL be happy with whatever I can get.   .... and am very forgiving and understanding for things not at 100%.

I am sure that everyone will be happy with what we can get and we will always want more.  That's just fact of being human. I'm SO glad that Jason want's the same stuff that I want, so it does give me more hope.  Exponentially so!

So all this being said.  The Devs just need to focus on what is possible first, then work on the dreams.  We all want the dreams, so Devs keep trying, really, really, REALLY hard... but to keep us happy, we need what we can get.  Which is exactly what they are doing it would appear. 

Thank you so much for posting that.  Made my day.