Sign in to follow this  
DBFlyguy

Getting the word out?

Like most of yall, I've been flying all sorts of combat flight sims for most of my teenage and adult life.  I absolutely LOVE the IL-2 BoX series of combat sims.  Its the best there is out there in my opinion especially when it comes to WWII and WWI aerial combat.  Yes, I also own that other Russian based sim with the "clicky cockpits" where most of their products are in a perpetual state of "early access" 🙄 But IL-2 is where I truly enjoy the combat flight sim experience.  My question is why isn't there more knowledge of this series of sims existence?  It seems like most folks in the gaming community think of that "other sim" when it comes to combat sims.  I definitely don't think devs advertise their product enough which really sucks, but what else can the community as a whole do to help spread the word?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

The best advertising is word of mouth, and a great way of doing that is spreading the word across various forums.

Also keep in mind WWII and WWI combat sim is very much a niche within a niche. That other sim covers a much larger era of aircraft and scenarios.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

A free demo always helps but i think the team did some analysis on the pros and cons and decided not to go with it.

The best right now is spreading the word in the right places. Since it's a niche genre mass advertising would not be the right approach.

Posted (edited)

Frooglesim has been playing IL-2 Sturmovik more lately (there's a few IL-2 videos that are not listed on the playlist: 1, 2, 3). He's got over 77,000 subscribers so that exposure can't hurt.

Edited by JimTM

Posted (edited)

for one to fully appreciate the IL2 Greatest Battles one needs multiple controllers, i.e. Joystick, throttle controller, track ir (VR), rudder pedals, this in itself can be a very expensive endeavor.

and intimidating to learn, train, on the GUI and Key-bindings. 

I have put in about 15 years into Flight Simming and thousands of dollars. Computers that can handle the graphics, and power, at least I built it myself, on average $2,000.

I have learned from experience building Computers, 1, don't skimp, 2,  high quality. and make sure you keep you're receipts. all ways update you're drivers, drivers, drivers. learn to be a computer tech and you will flight sim for life.Oh and another thing don't skimp on controllers, Hall sensors is the way of life now. those damn analog controls don't even last some times more than a year, depends on usage also. I remember Best Buy had a insurance program and when they meat me; I used it a lot on controllers. especially the Saiteks.

Now I endorse Virpil, they have the greatest stuff.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

for one to fully appreciate the IL2 Greatest Battles one needs multiple controllers, i.e. Joystick, throttle controller, track ir (VR), rudder pedals, this in itself can be a very expensive endeavor.

and intimidating train, and learn the GUI and Key-bindings. 

I have put in about 15 years into Flight Simming and thousands of dollars. Computers that can handle the graphics, and power, at least I built it myself, on average $2,000.

I have learned from experience building Computers, 1, don't skimp, 2,  high quality. and make sure you keep you're receipts. all ways update you're drivers, drivers, drivers. learn to be a computer tech and you will flight sim for life.Oh and another thing don't skimp on controllers, Hall sensors is the way of life now. those damn analog controls don't even last some times more than a year, depends on usage also. I remember Best Buy had a insurance program and when they meat me; I used it a lot on controllers. especially the Saiteks.

Yeah I have a handful of friends who would play but the game + stick, throttle, (I don’t even have peddles) and track ir is too much of an investment. 

Flight sims have a steeper learning curve than the average video game and are a lot more niche now than they used to be. Gaming is big industry, and there's of course more money to be made on more accessible titles that can be played with mouse and keyboard or a simple controller.

The beauty of the series is that can play the game on a medium-spec laptop and an entry-level joystick or you can go all in with VR, pedals and throttle control.

Funny thing: for nearly 20 years, every time I've mentioned the series to friends, relatives or colleagues etc. who are just mildly into gaming, they go "Oooh, the Russian tank sim, right?" I guess the IL-2 name is a bit misunderstood.

I just have a joystick and Its enough for me to enjoy the game. Mouse tracking plus joystick with throttle settings on my mouse, Engine setting on keyboard, etc 🙄

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

The same here, system upgrade pure only for WW1 combat flysimming, from the Voodoo card needed RB3d, to FE/WoW, to (W)OFF only after buying an i5-2500k & HD7970 & 27” 2k IPS monitor in the beginnings of 2011 for RoF, I was thinking this is my last upgrade as WW1 flysims are not longer been developed, from now on I have only replace components because being broken. 

I did not know that VR would bring in another need on upgrading and a forced switch to FC. 

Right now still waiting on the RTX3080, which is delayed to release date end 2020  and the real gen2 VR headset that, o man I give up, sure needs other €2000,- hardware to cope with that headset. 

How many of you can use the mission builder, where is the central depository one can download readily available and complex fun missions?  Why is the coop mode essentially dead?  What servers do you plan on placing all this new blood into? 

There's a reason this sim can't take off.

I think with what's included in BON like the Mosquito, Me-410, Arado 234, B-26, C-47, etc, and etc. I really do believe that this will be the most successful Battle that the devs have ever done as many people will be familiar with the majority of the plane set and D-Day itself, and therefore feel that BON should be advertised in more places.

• Like 1

I agree word of mouth is the best way. I hear from various sources that there are not enough VR games that go beyond a demo level or words to that effect. When I read that sort of statement I immediately think ‘they can’t know about flight sims like IL-2 then’. As VR takes off IL-2 and others may be able to take advantage of that wave.  Microsoft’s latest offering, if VR is implemented properly, may help with awareness too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

How many of you can use the mission builder, where is the central depository one can download readily available and complex fun missions?  Why is the coop mode essentially dead?  What servers do you plan on placing all this new blood into? 

Being able to play career mode in coop would fix a lot of issues. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Ehmm... I use only Dualshock4 and play it on a daily basis (single player). :russian_ru:🤪
Thanks for the devs that supports such controls it has even greater potential for a much wider audience.

Edited by Zeev

On 4/11/2020 at 2:27 AM, Hajo_Garlic said:

Yeah I have a handful of friends who would play but the game + stick, throttle, (I don’t even have peddles) and track ir is too much of an investment. 

Irony of flight sim. The more money you put into it the more fun it gets. Like mastif I have gradually improved my flight sim equipment in 20 years. My stick and collective alone cost about 1600$ now. Rudders 500$, yoke 300$, ( when currency settle to normal I probably go for a 1000$ yoke) throttle system (self build) 300$, panels 500$, RiftS used 200$ ,Mic 200$ Instruments for x plane 400$, trackir and headphones. 
Funny thing is, my greatest pleasure of upgrade was when I went from just a joystick to a saitek x 52 with a throttle. 
I was in heaven, having a throttle, I was fine with just that

I'm wondering if the gaming consoles have just captured the youth for the most part, and now young and middle aged adults as well.  In addition, I'm not sure how much history resonates in the youth of today the way it did in times past. If military conflict does take a hold I think a lot of younger people gravitate to modern warfare and this has been captured very well in many console based games. 

Over the years I've seen online play move to a more sporadic grab an hour here and an hour there type of play, whereas in times past many of us would play for hours almost every night. Of course that was before the consoles took hold and the options online are multiple now as well.  Soooooo, the player base is just not there the way it once was, hence the higher costs associated with the software etc and this just feeds off of itself..so you lose even more players, due to the costs.

The pivotal difference I believe in a game like this is the quest for historical immersion verses shoot em up and watch em burn violence and a quick fix of "fun".  If they came out with a good movie highlighting lets say the air combat on the Eastern Front, or tank battles..you'd see the sales pickup, but when is that going to happen?  You can't immerse yourself in history if you don't know about it, and you really don't have the time to mess with it, because the new DOOM just came out.  :)

19 hours ago, SCG_Neun said:

I'm wondering if the gaming consoles have just captured the youth for the most part, and now young and middle aged adults as well.  In addition, I'm not sure how much history resonates in the youth of today the way it did in times past. If military conflict does take a hold I think a lot of younger people gravitate to modern warfare and this has been captured very well in many console based games. 

Over the years I've seen online play move to a more sporadic grab an hour here and an hour there type of play, whereas in times past many of us would play for hours almost every night. Of course that was before the consoles took hold and the options online are multiple now as well.  Soooooo, the player base is just not there the way it once was, hence the higher costs associated with the software etc and this just feeds off of itself..so you lose even more players, due to the costs.

The pivotal difference I believe in a game like this is the quest for historical immersion verses shoot em up and watch em burn violence and a quick fix of "fun".  If they came out with a good movie highlighting lets say the air combat on the Eastern Front, or tank battles..you'd see the sales pickup, but when is that going to happen?  You can't immerse yourself in history if you don't know about it, and you really don't have the time to mess with it, because the new DOOM just came out.  :)

This is my personal experience. Two of my best friends and I used to game quite a bit together. I got hit with a bad health diagnosis one year and unfortunately we had minimal contact. Upon me getting well enough to get up and on the PC to game once again, both had drifted off into the console based arcade tank gaming. This despite the fact that I had purchased for both flight sims from 777 and 1C to even go so far as buying rudder peddles and a Combatstick and still a no-go. The fast arcade action still rules the day on the what I call the “kiddy console”. I even tried to see things their way and ended up returning the console TWICE after trying hard to enjoy it but in the graphics alone department I felt as though I had stepped back some 10 years in the past.

I suppose if one has no interest at all in aviation it’s the old saying, “You can lead a horse to water” type of thing. Perhaps my selfish ways of wanting things to be like they used to be (camaraderie online) entered into the picture. Either way, I still find myself flying single player in VR now and gave up trying to compete with the arcade action of the console. It was nice though when we had a common interest and could get together and talk about it at times.

On 4/11/2020 at 5:37 PM, [CPT]Crunch said:

This, to me, seems one of the main reasons why BoX will not attract the same amount of Players as the old Il2 (+hyperlobby, of course) did.

Guess one had to be there to know what we`re missing out on now....

Real shame, i love the shell of this game, it`s basically a dream come true...but then when i use it, it tends to feels like some dreams that do come true- very empty.

To answer OP's question, putting down other sims and games just isn't a good way to "get the word".  It will only do this game a disservice.  

On 4/11/2020 at 5:37 PM, [CPT]Crunch said:

Well your opinion will set the question 

would one have us here or would one have new people in. 
I find the developers strategy to be good in this regard. They have really made this game down to WT easy if you choose to. Even possible to fly with a mouse. And yet it can be flown by expirienced cfs pilots in more realistic mode. 
to make a server for easy mode is pretty straight forward we have one populated all the time. 
There is a limit on how much you can accommodate all specter of players, and I firmly believe they done a good job in that regard. 
You simply need to be interested making missions in order to learn it, it is a learning process 

In order to want to fly ww2 it got to be a interest.  You can hardly blame the developers for the lack of it. I sm more positive now than before. We are growing, we are getting more in than people leaving.