O_Smiladon

Binoculars

Good Day All,

I maybe wrong (Most times I am LOL) were we not getting binoculars in this latest patch ???

Cheers 

O_Smiladon

40 minutes ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

Hit ctrl+5. But i've got no idea how to turn them off 😄

The same way as pistol or flare ...

• Thanks 1

Can someone take a screen view through binoculars and a first-person view at maximum zoom on the same object. Please

17 minutes ago, beresford said:

Big improvement, finally you don't have to go to the gunsight to scan the horizon.

8 minutes ago, dragon_7611 said:

Can someone take a screen view through binoculars and a first-person view at maximum zoom on the same object. Please

It is not worth using them. They are just maximum zoom in commanders position with some markings and a big black frame around. Animated with a commander, who obviously is completely drunk and has to aim very precisely to bring the binoculars in front of his eyes without injuring himself. Just zoom in, when in commanders position, like you did before. Spares a lot of time and you can see more.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Every German gunsight we have is, I believe, 2.5x zoom (Panther A and G were 2.5x/5x) while the typical handheld binoculars actually used by German crews varied between 6x, 7x and 10x.  It seems odd that the binoculars in game would be ~2.5x.

I just checked the Panther in game and the main gunsight looks like a 1.5x (compared to commander's view) while the binoculars are a 0x (compared to commander's view) in other words a non-magnified view.

Edited by chuter
Additional info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Freaks,

the binoculars are too weak - it`s the same as the maximum zoom = a bad mistake !

655-vergrotingen.jpg.113cd8963780bc9226e0444efea6d630.jpg

Good luck

Guenther 

• Upvote 2

Another problem is that commander cannot use it inside the cupola, such usage is shown in several history photos. It is just a decoration. what a pity.

Only if zoom for outside view will be forbidden it would be not a just decoration...

• Upvote 1

Zoom must be disabled for sights! Not a single tank game has this: T-34 vs Tiger, Steel Fury.

correction: in Steel Fury there is a zoom in the sights, which additionally enlarges the picture twice from the original. But it can be easily turned off and not used.

I'm use 😄

In the TC is a different situation. Here is "reverse" zoom, which reduces the original image. It's like looking through inverted binoculars

Edited by dragon_7611

Regading the pointlessness of the binoculars at the moment, and the demand that I've seen of forbidding zoom when not using the binoculars:

I think the available zoom (without using binoculars) should be less than the enlargement you get from the binoculars, but not disabled.

In particular, I would suggest to limit it, not by the viewing angle it represents, but taking into account pixels, in such a way that no matter how many pixels your screen has, your maximum zoom, and the enlargement from the binoculars, is the same, IN PIXELS.

What I've found a good trait of the tanks in IL-2, as opposed to flying, is that it has been feasible to do tanking, for example with a 60fps screen, which is a huge disadvantage in flying. Also I've found it feasible to do tanking with weak hardware and even lower fps and stutters, where flying was impossible.

What will happen now, and already is happening to a degree I believe, is a very hardware based player ranking, because with angle-based max zooms and max binoculars, players who can afford to game on more pixels have a huge advantage in situational advantage. This will mean that, if the suggestion I've seen above is followed, and zoom is removed from the outside view, a player with 1080p, driving around, looking out of the hatch with 1x magnification, will basically see nothing and just drive straight into someone's sights.

Edited by stupor-mundi

7 minutes ago, stupor-mundi said:

I think the available zoom (without using binoculars) should be less than the enlargement you get from the binoculars, but not disabled.

1.I want to correct my opinion - only then you open hatches it must be disabled and it must not enlarge image only view angle. We can move head inside the tank close to visor, to change angle bit with no magnification.

2.Magnification of gunsights and binoculars must be authentic like it was in real gunsight.

• Upvote 1

Zoom has been covered previously, here are my responses in one of them: 

This has been beat to death many times.  The "Fully Zoomed In" view is actually supposed to be the "Normal Naked Eye" view.  The problem with this view is you have next to ZERO peripheral vision so a wide angle "Zoom Out" feature is given so one can have a more realistic spacial awareness.  Apparently, with a monitor you can't have both peripheral vision and see things at distance as well as in the real world.  The gunsight issue should be checked by seeing how well 1/3rd meter can be resolved at 1km (I ain't doin' that now - lol)

With both eyes people have about 210/220 degree field of view, the game is more like 150° (I haven't tried to measure it).  See Wide view.  But, the human eye can resolve ~1/3rd meter at 1000 meters.  I could only get as far away as 800 meters but the width (vertical) of the roadwheels on the fender are about 1/3rd meter so try and spot those on the narrow view. 

(For scaling purposes my name (chuter) should be 14mm wide if you want to see it as I do on my monitor 😃)

Panzer III Wide FOV.jpg

Panzer III Narrow FOV.jpg

OK - Here's a fully zoomed gunsight view of a Panzer III at 800m to compare to my previous 800m zoomed image.  The Panzer here is exactly twice the size of the naked eye view (fully zoomed) image I previously posted.  Isn't the Russian gunsight supposed to be a 2.5x?  If so there's a little more zooming to do.  So the fully zoomed in images aren't far off from reality.  The trick now is to play the game exclusively zoomed in and NOT using that arcade zoomed out view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoomed in view and then the zoomed out for comparison.  Remember, at 1000m we should be able to resolve to 1/3rd meter.  The tank near center is at 1.0 and the tank just to the left is at 0.8 for comparison to previous post.

T-34 Gunsight Zoomed In.jpg

T-34 Gunsight Zoomed Out.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, chuter said:

The "Fully Zoomed In" view is actually supposed to be the "Normal Naked Eye" view. 

I'm totally fine with the "Fully Zoomed In" as it is now. But I think the binocular view should give you additional enlargement, to make it worthwhile  putting them to your head.

• Upvote 3

Also the binocular "activation" animation is too SLOW, when you switch to third person you can see the animation is faster (and better) Hope we can mod that 😅

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, stupor-mundi said:

I'm totally fine with the "Fully Zoomed In" as it is now. But I think the binocular view should give you additional enlargement, to make it worthwhile  putting them to your head.

Exactly.  As i noted earlier, most German field glasses in this application were either 6x, 7x or 10x.

I would be very happy with the 6x in game.  😃

Edited by chuter
to give opinion

It's funny how we debate the details of the binoculars, and the various aspects of their zoom level, with regards to fairness.

And then, on the IL-2 General Discussion forum, I stumble over a thread where one player describes a mod called 3d migoto and argues it's a cheat (others argue against it). This is a mod which weirdly works on servers which are in the 'mods disabled' category. And, depending on settings, this can be used not only in VR but also 2D (monitor).

I feel strongly this is a cheat, especially in the context of tanking. Are people using this in TC? I would advocate it should be disabled on non-mod servers.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it can because the 3dMigoto app is not recognized as a mod by the game. It works fully on your pc and works regardless whether you have mods on or off in the game. 

Now we got it.

My binocular 5 level zoom is not working, RCtrl 1, 2, 3 etc

I have tried remapping to other keys but to not avail.

They are stuck in maximum.

What am I doing wrong?

4 hours ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you are on free T-34Stz or Pz-IIIL. Binoculars doesn't work for them.

Nope! I have Tank Crew but no VR. I've tried in the Panther, Tiger and PzIV ...

I have no idea why it isn't working.

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

If i understood the changelog correctly, those zoom level bindings aren't meant to work with binoculars at all. Just the zoom outside binoculars.

34 minutes ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

If i understood the changelog correctly, those zoom level bindings aren't meant to work with binoculars at all. Just the zoom outside binoculars.

So, where are the key bindings for the Binoculars?

1 hour ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

So, where are the key bindings for the Binoculars?

wep.thumb.jpg.2259fca6fe2ed23297ef345ddcf88fee.jpg

8 hours ago, Lofte said:

wep.thumb.jpg.2259fca6fe2ed23297ef345ddcf88fee.jpg

Sorry, I meant to say the zoom for the binoculars.

The default RCtrl + 1, 2, 3, etc is not working for me.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Sorry, I meant to say the zoom for the binoculars.

The default RCtrl + 1, 2, 3, etc is not working for me.

Zoom for binoculars? There is no zoom for it, magnification for binoculars is constant, like it was before..

• Upvote 2

5. Five new mappable (RCtrl+NumPad_Del,1,2,3,0 by default) zoom commands have been added that allow quick zooming to various degrees (minimal, maximal and 3 intermediate levels). Zoom value set by a mouse or joystick axis or keyboard keys is not affected by the new quick zoom and after releasing a quick zoom button the FOV will return to the one set by an axis. These new commands work in either 2D or VR mode. The old 'VR zoom' command has been deprecated (its equivalent is the new maximum quick zoom, RCtl+NumPad_0);
7. Tank commander binoculars give three times more powerful zoom than before (they give a minimal FOV that is technically possible in the game);

I get now Lofte. This are not related. There is no zoom for binoculars. :(

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

After the 4.007 update the binoculars feel "right" to me. Better than before.

• Upvote 1