Han

Game version 4.005 discussion: New airframe damage model

I just rammed a Dolphin in the back with a DR1 and see no damage besides the DR1's propeller being broken. No damage to the Dolphin's tail.

Was this kind of damage supposed to be available in Flying Circus too?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

The engine seems to keep running after spitting oil over the windscreen (in my one experience so far)... so quite a bit better at ground attack... but nothing will make up for the poor turn rate at low altitude.

I mean...it's a P-47. What kind of turn rate were you expecting? She's got a higher wing loading than some of the bombers in the sim, and an engine optimized for 25k+ feet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Has anyone managed to shoot the rear fuselage off an aircraft? I've tried using the 37mm... which lacerated the airframe but didn't produce failure (so far). If so... if we ever get a 50mm or 57mm cannon and it is capable of causing that kind of catastrophic failure... it'll be unique. Not done testing yet.

I'd also try seeing if I can shoot through the fuselage of a the Halberstadt from below using the Lewis gun... but the QMB settings will have the two-seaters trying to dogfight - so I'd have to load up the full mission builder to test it properly.

Set them as allied flight and put a single enemy plane such as u2vs or ju52. Now you can test without the planes evading you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, WARMOX said:

So I don't use a mouse or a vr or track ir for sight, and my controls for my joystick to view won't allow me to look 360 degrees, and the views are just messed up, is this a part of the update for views using joysticks now?

I had the same thing.

In Settings go to Camera, on top left go to Default View and change from the default Centred Quick View to Pan Camera Mode (or oneof the others).

Should hopefully do the trick.   

Edited by kendo

I have a VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM!!!

All my missions except one crash directly on the desktop. I mean 7 out of 8 are dead.

I have resaved all mission and all groups to be on the safe side.

I can open them in the editor no problem.

But when I start them they load until I get the Map. On the map all icons and text are correct no problem.

When I hit START crash bang directly to the Windows desktop.

Never had that with version 4.004.

Devs what happens ?

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

What were the configurations of the target aircraft? Fuel, weapons, etc load-out?

Just left em stock in the QMB, so no mods, no ordnance, whatever fuel level it defaults to

Love it thanks, just purchased all the new collectors planes now to save up the pension up for Battle of Normandy don't tell the wife.

• Haha 2

Icky, this doesn't answer your question but the first thing I did after firing up the update, was to launch one of my missions and it is running fine.  Could it be some  unique logic you include as a standard practice in missions that you have designed?

20 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Has anyone managed to shoot the rear fuselage off an aircraft? I've tried using the 37mm... which lacerated the airframe but didn't produce failure (so far). If so... if we ever get a 50mm or 57mm cannon and it is capable of causing that kind of catastrophic failure... it'll be unique. Not done testing yet.

I'd also try seeing if I can shoot through the fuselage of a the Halberstadt from below using the Lewis gun... but the QMB settings will have the two-seaters trying to dogfight - so I'd have to load up the full mission builder to test it properly.

I shot the whole tail of a the Jg transport plane with a Tempest

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I couldn't see any improvement ... my frame rate dramatically fell down from something around 25-30 to 8-10 maximum !

What a disapointment 😪

Edited by Zargos
  • Sad 2

Many thanks to the dev team 😉 so good to have this in such period...:fly:

10 minutes ago, Zargos said:

Well I couldn't see any improvement ... my frame rate dramatically fell down from something around 25-30 to 8-10 maximum !

What a disapointment 😪

Sorry something else is wrong with your install or computer. Virtually no one here is reporting such a problem, so it's not really the update.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Zargos said:

What a disapointment 😪

Reboot your system. A few people seem to have poor frames immediately after an update.

I've noticed no FPS drop in this patch.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Zargos said:

What a disapointment 😪

Maybe post in tech issues forum, with full specs etc.. Could be something weird happening, or something running in the background for example. 

27 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I mean...it's a P-47. What kind of turn rate were you expecting? She's got a higher wing loading than some of the bombers in the sim, and an engine optimized for 25k+ feet.

Exactly... I just sometimes get the impression that some people think that turning it into a Hs-129 would somehow fix other issues...

I personally find it pretty fascinating to fight in... the best approach I can figure is to keep the speed above 400kph (gives a decent roll rate) and do a series of head-on passes extending away after each one... however, it would seem wise to attempt to use the dive speed to flee before one gets too low... as once the flight is on the deck the options are very limited (I feel like I'm flying an early model Il-2)... I'm not saying any of this is inaccurate to the airplane.

IMHO, the way to get a more realistic fight would be to increase the chance of the AI aircraft losing sight of other aircraft... if the AI occasionally drew a blank and couldn't immediately find your plane after it made a pass or pulled a high-gee manuever... that would create a pause in the fight where the differences in performance wouldn't matter as much.

12 minutes ago, Retrofly said:

I shot the whole tail of a the Jg transport plane with a Tempest

So, I flew a LaGG-3 with only AP rounds in my Sh-37 37mm cannon... fired a bunch into a Ju-52 from the rear.

There was almost no visual damage (just a couple of tiny holes)... however the rounds traveled up the fuselage and killed the pilot! Pretty spectacular to see almost no visible damage from six 37mm rounds but to see the Ju-52 suddenly loop the loop... I think it is likely quite realistic as well.

• Upvote 2

My first impressions are definitely positive.I flew several quick dogfights against the AI with different aircraft and so far Im loving the improvements.Without getting into too much details, it just seems more dynamic and planes more robust(specially our beloved JUG!!!), it now takes good aiming and a bit more ammunition to down an airplane.Having said that, you can still get lucky and bring your enemy down with a lucky quick burst depending on where it hits.From what I could see most airplanes went down because control surfaces were either severed or simply blown off(going straight down or after a loss of control including a stall) or  pilot got killed/incapacitated with the ocassional castastrophic engine failure.Im not sure if the visual FX got reworked or its just that we get to see them more often now but, there's a gratifying amount of debris coming off the airplanes when being shot at and the actual hits look amazing.Bravo to the whole team!!!!

Missed contrails in Multiplayer - to be fixed tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 6

I have yet to see a dev response on the gear doors of the 51 flying off when it hits 520IAS. I'm just curious as to the reasoning, since documentation provided in other threads show the issue to be maintenance related and that it was fixed in short order. It is nice to see that the drag penalty was reduced to a seeming more reasonable level (About a 25mph reduction at emergency settings at 4,500 feet.) Otherwise very pleased with the update, its quite exciting to see a lot more wings catch fire from cannon hits, instead of simply crumpling up.

Thank you very much indeed Devs! I tried it out in Flying Circus tonight and am impressed with what I observed. No doubt there is much more. Many thanks.

Just a couple hours in MP on the update so far, but to me it is a tremendous improvement! Each kill I got was unique in how the opponent went down. Some were lucky with just a few bullets, some took a ton of ammo. P-38 seems more sturdy. 500 lb bombs have to be right in the pickle barrel to kill bunkers. Luftwhiners are out in full force about losing their 1-hit kill wonders.

Overall, I couldn't be happier!

Definitely an improvement on the previous version. No way could I walk the sim back to what was before. 

Fights are much more dynamic now.  Shout out to the Devs and Testers for a job well done 👍

Now I just have to check flap actuation in the P38J as my QMB session with them against some 190 A8's my flaps weren't working.

Aras was running very smooth in a couple QMB match-ups I was flying 2 vs 2 in VR.

10 minutes ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

Just a couple hours in MP on the update so far, but to me it is a tremendous improvement! Each kill I got was unique in how the opponent went down. Some were lucky with just a few bullets, some took a ton of ammo. P-38 seems more sturdy. 500 lb bombs have to be right in the pickle barrel to kill bunkers. Luftwhiners are out in full force about losing their 1-hit kill wonders.

Just couple hours in MP here too. First impression is positive.

I dont know what have the Luftwhiners been flying, as i could never reliably kill anything in my 109s, just hits hits hits but no real damage. ( lol maybe i just suck??)

Now i see fires, pilot kills and control surfaces and wing areas being damaged so bad that enemy falls off sky.

And yes, every kill feels unique, different than before for sure!

Nice job team!

Still needs more hours to really see how the DM now is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nice update,  DM is very accurate related to the impacts where you shoot and the kind of projectiles are very well represented in the damage of every enemy plane . VR zoom in option is right now like 2 times much more close & seems that you can do much better head to head frontal attacks with the enemy plane without usually collisions meanwhile you see the other plane passing through the plane very close , that’s a  very new impressing excellent  experience very funny, but I need to evaluate with much more time experience   . Thanks very much!

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FarflungWanderer said:

Might be a silly question, but do you know where I can get my hands on the 4k templates for the MiG-3?

Yes, they are right here on my data drive.  😇

Sorry, I am cleaning the template up now for public release.

Edited by ICDP
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ICDP said:

Yes, they are right here on my data drive.  :)

Sorry, I am cleaning the template up now for public release.

Fantastic, I'm really looking forward to failing trying to make some personal skins for them!

1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

I just rammed a Dolphin in the back with a DR1 and see no damage besides the DR1's propeller being broken. No damage to the Dolphin's tail.

Was this kind of damage supposed to be available in Flying Circus too?

Can't reproduce. In my test Dolphin receiving damage ok. Check for screen and mission

2020_4_8__21_12_11.jpg

[test]CircusDamage.zip

• Thanks 1

Really really impressed so far.

I feel I have one remaining question:

When bombs or rockets hit - should they not produce a few irregular large fragments of casing or debris that travel further? Or do we think the current modelling is accurate?

Modern fragmentation shells are carefully designed to produce very even fragments out to a certain distance... but even there - the absolute danger zone is much larger. Take the claymore:

m18-Fig4.gif

Note: Drawing not to scale.

...the certain kill zone is 50 metres, 'moderately effective' is twice that at 100 metres... however it is dangerous out to 250 metres (5 x the kill zone!). There is also a stray fragment/debris zone to either side.

So, if we drop a bomb on a railcar... or fire a rocket... we should perhaps take out a truck engine much further away - or possibly be caught in the debris ourselves? Is the new fragmentation model only for one size of debris? So the likelihood and damage of fragments fall off linearly as if the fragments were all the same size? I suppose that is my one question (and speculative area for further improvement someday).

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

It's still possible, but hard to achieve.

2020_4_8__21_20_28.jpg

1 hour ago, WARMOX said:

So I don't use a mouse or a vr or track ir for sight, and my controls for my joystick to view won't allow me to look 360 degrees, and the views are just messed up, is this a part of the update for views using joysticks now?

May be view mode have been changed occasionly. Use F9 key to switch between them and F10 key to store the default view and view mode.

2 hours ago, Otto_bann said:

Small bug?

Saw on track + in flight on Combatbox few min ago (51s wheels doors stay down) :

https://goopics.net/i/A3aKg

I think gear retraction is broken somehow in this case.

2 hours ago, schurem said:

Dear devs,

Allow me to congratulate you on another truly excellent iteration of our beloved sim. It is grandiose. Between the superb refinements of the damage model and the tweaks to dogfight AI, I just had the greatest bout of BFM ever. Those fritzes sold their skin very dearly, clawing for angles and altitude with a very lifelike tenacity. They died ever so convincingly, making seeing their engines burst into flames very satisfying. 

Thank you!

We are working for you ))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have rebooted, and installed the latest Nvidia drivers on my 2080ti.

Frame rate has not changed and is excellent. Unfortunately now I have some stuttering, something I never had before.

Static Trains are completely messed up. Indeed the frame chassis of the tanker wagons are now solid and visually correct but the ground positioning of all the these train elements is completely wrong and messed up. This is on the Kuban Summer Map that I am using for my scripted campaign.

Here below some pictures to illustrate the issues:

807780153_StaticTrain1.jpg.5b831fd943b12d439cb2e839ec32761b.jpg

In this one the static tender floats above the rails.

Next

1376671820_StaticTrain2.jpg.84d8128d2091637ac9ef47770a8c356b.jpg

In this one you can see the wheels inside the ground. I tried to position the car as precisely as possible on the rails but it is like there were no rails.

I used also the editor button to settle the object on the ground but it makes no difference.

Next

987654391_StaticTrain3.jpg.defb82b74546a934b900f0094ce03936.jpg

Here you see the tender floating very high and the wagons behind deeply in the ground.

Next

1257001976_StaticTrain4.thumb.jpg.a4b8f92b7c16e856c0bfab2ca6e8c6df.jpg

Here the enlarged detail

Next

1858324893_StaticTrain5.thumb.jpg.13d41ed0fe32b66f409886122c0a940d.jpg

Here we have an opposite effect, where the wagons this time instead of being in the ground are floating in the air.

Here the ground positioning of the static train elements is completely wrong and bizarre. I tried to position better but no change, and they do not detect rails.

Should I add that I never had those issues in all previous versions.

The active Trains have no problem, are perfectly positioned on the rails.

Can this be a reason why I have nearly all my missions crashing. Objects conflict in the ground?

Anyway this has to be corrected very quickly I hope as I have these static trains in all my missions.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Try it against the Bristol Fighter and tell us the results! It could be the Halberstadt is more lightly built in the wings...

Yeh the Bristol does seem to be more sturdy in the wings than the Halberstadt. Bristol does soak up more rounds than the Halberstadt but relatively easy to get the wings to crumple on them also. Sorry for the poor video, game performed much better than the video suggests. The Bristol does have an extra pair of struts so indeed perhaps the Halberstadt is more lightly built in the wings. Quick disclaimer do not take my videos and etc as knocking the developers, am very grateful for all the improvements that they continue to bring us. Some of the visual damage I'm seeing now I've never seen occur before and the sound reflecting what has been hits great!

Edited by Oliver88

4 hours ago, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

bomba.thumb.png.034407a9dfb61bd89d147982f71af700.png

image.thumb.png.ec3c285f34ed0d1cf230c06993dad770.png

Aquellos de nosotros que usamos VR con qué ojo estamos apuntando ahora? Exigimos fuertemente que regrese el método anterior, aquí no funciona el ojo predominante.

We will try to fix it in upcoming hot-fix. Thanks for highlighting such important bug.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kendo said:

I had the same thing.

In Settings go to Camera, on top left go to Default View and change from the default Centred Quick View to Pan Camera Mode (or oneof the others).

Should hopefully do the trick.   

The update reset some of my view/camera settings as well

12 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Can this be a reason why I have nearly all my missions crashing.

I doubt it, but to be sure why we'll need your crash dump files. Or the mission so we could reproduce this.

First of all, disable any mods.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for all the hard work during these trying time.

Stay safe everyone!

28 minutes ago, Han said:

We are working for you ))

Such a true statement - awesomeness abounds in this update!  Thank you to the entire Team for all for your tireless efforts in very difficult times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

Why the Luftwaffe piltos would cry? Now the german 20mm is the strongest in the game, like in real life 😄

• Upvote 1

Im all the sudden having issues with Pitch, as if the throw has been reduced to 10% of normal.  Anyone else?  I calibrated the Stick (warthog) and it reads the full throw no problems, but its every plane in the game.