Hey folks, for once I'm not asking yet another "how do I make X do Y?" question.😵

So while trying to learn the Mission Editor I came across a couple of MCU's not covered in the manuals (or at least I couldn't find them). 

Are they "new" since the manual was published?

I found the following two MCU's in an AAA Group (author unknown).
I was looking to see if I could find a way to get the 52k AA gun pairs to fire more often.

Modifier Set Value/Modifier Add Value
Fields:
* Data fields (X4).  What are they for?  Min/Max values?

* Param Index (Parameter?)  What does an entry there do?  Min/max values?

The "Set Value" MCU's are Target Linked to Trigger Counter and Trigger Timer MCU's. 

The "Add Value" is Target Linked to several Trigger Deactivate MCU's that are Target Linked to Various Timers and Counters.

This one I did find in the manual but.....

Translator AI POI
Fields:
By Default these two boxes are checked
Enabled
Attack Planes/Vehicles
Additional Fields:
Reads a lot like a regular Translator Icon
What is it's purpose?  I have not yet seen this in a mission.  Has it been implemented?
Manual States "...will be documented in a later edition...."
Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

The Modifier MCUs came out with v3.008 (item 2) in December of 2018 and were updated with v3.009 (items 34, 36, and 37) later in December 2018, well after the manual was published. I haven't tested them.

Re. the AI POI translator, see this post and this post.

Edited by JimTM
Added info re. v3.009.
  • Thanks 1

@Alonzo_ knows more about the modifier MCUs. Maybe he can chime in on them.

(I don't know much about them myself either.)

Unfortunately I think the only documentation is the developer announcement that Jim linked to above.

I've used the Set Value and Add Value MCUs to alter the current value and 'trigger' value of a Counter MCU, and that seems to work. Be aware that a Counter MCU if it has already hit its trigger probably will not fire unless 'Reset after Trigger' (?) is ticked.

There are a couple of other new behaviors that might only be referenced in developer posts. I think you can now deactivate a Timer MCU to pause it and then activate it to continue it. Coconut used an interesting behavior of the Timer MCU also: if you have a 1 minute Timer, and trigger it every 10 seconds, it will never fire. The inbound triggers to the Timer 'reset' the time on it. So you can use this to implement "do something when this Timer expires, refresh the expiry when something else happens" style logic. Quite useful.

3 minutes ago, Alonzo_ said:

I think you can now deactivate a Timer MCU to pause it and then activate it to continue it.

I've used this logic a lot. I think it has always been there.

I have a linear recon area. It is 3 complex triggers, A plane must pass through all three. A counter records how many are passed. Each complex trigger is deactivated as it is triggered so it can not be used again.  If the mission fails due to plane damage or destruction, I reset the mission. I reactivate the complex triggers. I use the modifier set value to reset the counter to zero. Mission ready again.  There is a lot more going on but that is what I use the Modifier MCU for.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

I've used this logic a lot. I think it has always been there.

It was always there

But with adding modifiers there was an update to the possibilities....

You can now 'reset' a timer (by setting it to any value where 0 means restart)

So setting it to '0' means total reset

Setting it to any other value should change the already elapsed time

Setting a new value should stop the timer until it is triggered the next time

BUT there seems to be at least one bug...

It does NOT stop a timer without delay, it TRIGGERS that timer instantly!

Deci

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alonzo_ said:

Unfortunately I think the only documentation is the developer announcement that Jim linked to above.

I've used the Set Value and Add Value MCUs to alter the current value and 'trigger' value of a Counter MCU, and that seems to work. Be aware that a Counter MCU if it has already hit its trigger probably will not fire unless 'Reset after Trigger' (?) is ticked.

There are a couple of other new behaviors that might only be referenced in developer posts. I think you can now deactivate a Timer MCU to pause it and then activate it to continue it. Coconut used an interesting behavior of the Timer MCU also: if you have a 1 minute Timer, and trigger it every 10 seconds, it will never fire. The inbound triggers to the Timer 'reset' the time on it. So you can use this to implement "do something when this Timer expires, refresh the expiry when something else happens" style logic. Quite useful.

I added information from v3.009 to my post above.

Item 35 in v3.009 was "Timer: when a new trigger signal is received, the timer resets". I assume that the reset behaviour was backed out at some point, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, Alonzo_ said:

I designed a mission with a proximity MCU Trigger.

This one is supposed to trigger a Timer with 4mn and so which trigger an take off order.

I've noticed that two planes on 5 started their engine and took-off while two of the rest stopped their engine for a while. after 4mn and so, their started again their engine and fiiiiinally took off.

I was wondering why.

I've checked and bingo.

Two differents waves of planes with 2mn between each wave entered the proximity trigger.

The first one made the timer to make its count, so ordered planes to start and take off, and the timer was reset by the second wave. So the restarted their engine the same delay after...

It took me a while to make my brain thinking about that strange possibility

Nice find DN308!

• Like 1