ICDP

Some before and after on new diffused reflections (Work in progress). Info for skinners.

4 hours ago, Danziger said:

Number should be 484959.

The text on the side is FF-959.

Wanda is only on the right side no other art visible.

Also the doors for tail wheel appear to be removed.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Danziger said:
Spoiler

Untitled-22.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Looks much more consistent with pictures from ANYWHERE, of ANYTHING!!

;)

I know this is an oldie but it's a great watch and a great example of what these machines looked like in the war. We ARE in a wartime-based game, after all...

https://youtu.be/kR6lWSIWUOA

Yes I have noticed that the developers and most skinners really underestimate the matteness of those green American planes. They were very very matte. For some reason they got it right on the green anti glare strips for the bare metal planes. However, on green painted planes like P39, P40, A20 the entire plane should be that matte because it's the same type of paint as the anti glare strips. Just look at wartime pictures and check the reflections on the painted skin versus other shiny things in the pictures.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, PatCartier said:

I am surprised by this development because I had not felt the need for it. By working on the alpha layer, it was possible to achieve a look that I liked. We'll see what happens, maybe it'll be even better.

However, on the screenshots Martin shows us, the diffuse effect seems a bit exaggerated to me.

In addition, although most of the time the planes didn't shine very much, it happened sometimes nevertheless. There is no single truth about this. It all depended on the time, the place, the intensity of operations and other variables as well.

Anyway, I'm glad that the developers are committed to getting the best possible rendering. I'm curious to see the result.

We're counting on you Martin to find the right balance.

Hi Pat.  It's not that the devs decided to take time to do this particular change, it is more a by-product of using a deferred rendering engine.  I will ask if it is possible to tweak a bit but only if it doesn't break other stuff.  The Dev Dairy does indicate this particular aspect is a "bonus" of switching to deferred rendering.  I only wished to let the excellent community of hard working skinners know that this was coming and it can change how their work looks.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:24 PM, Uufflakke said:

According the text accompanying the image:

On an airbase in England, Staff Sargent William Accoo, crew chief for one of the Tuskegee airmen of the 15th United States Air Force, washes down the P-51 Mustang fighter plane of his pilot with soap and water before waxing it to give it more speed, September 1944. (Photo by PhotoQuest/Getty Images)

https://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/nieuwsfoto's/on-an-airbase-in-england-staff-sargent-william-accoo-crew-nieuwsfotos/115463106?adppopup=true

on-an-airbase-in-england-staff-sargent-w

This is exactly the photo was thinking of... As you can see the reflection is mirror like. As I said... I actually like that feature.. I hope we can still achieve it to some degree....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Bearcat said:

This is exactly the photo was thinking of... As you can see the reflection is mirror like. As I said... I actually like that feature.. I hope we can still achieve it to some degree....

If testers have access to new rendering they can easily scale down grey in alpha channel and see is old mirroring still possible, and post some screenshots here!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ICDP said:

Hi Pat.  It's not that the devs decided to take time to do this particular change, it is more a by-product of using a deferred rendering engine.  I will ask if it is possible to tweak a bit but only if it doesn't break other stuff.  The Dev Dairy does indicate this particular aspect is a "bonus" of switching to deferred rendering.  I only wished to let the excellent community of hard working skinners know that this was coming and it can change how their work looks.

Do all aircraft now have the same spec/diffuse/reflection multiplier? Ie will an alpha value of something like 100 now produce the same specular shine on every aircraft?

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I've always wondered why PTO Mustangs universally look so much more beat to $#!7 than their ETO counterparts. Someone lost the keys to the wash rack at every airstrip?

As a side note, what outfit is the above AC and do you know the ID letters?

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

20 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

No clue - was just perusing my Mustang file and figured I'd throw that one in.

4737215390_b8cc3b6475_b.jpg

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I've always wondered why PTO Mustangs universally look so much more beat to $#!7 than their ETO counterparts. Someone lost the keys to the wash rack at every airstrip?

Its the kind of environment where even the band on your wristwatch will turn green and start to rot in just a couple of days.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bearcat said:

However, this particular panel might actually be wet, causing an unusual strong reflections.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I've always wondered why PTO Mustangs universally look so much more beat to $#!7 than their ETO counterparts

Probably because a bucket of water could be used for a better purpose than washing an aircraft on Iwo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Well we will have to adapt to the new rendering... As we did with the actual one...

Piece o' cake!!

10 hours ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Well we will have to adapt to the new rendering... As we did with the actual one...

Il-2 2020-04-09 18-03-30.jpg

That is a badass skin!

On 4/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, ICDP said:

Hi all,

The recent developer diary gave a sneak peek of the new lighting and reflections from the deferred rendering changes.  I wanted to show some before and after screenshots that I hope helps to show the new more diffused reflections.  I will give some info on any impact this will have on existing skins and the talented artists who devote their time making them for the community.

PLEASE NOTE: These are form a Work in Progress version of the sim and may not be final.

So there's a bit of a conundrum for skinners.  We spend a long time fussing over getting the alpha layers just right.  I won't lie to you, this new reflection and lighting system WILL most likely change how all the work you painstakingly done looks.  It's unlikely to break it as the difference is "mostly" subtle but for me, when I saw it in action I genuinely didn't care that I have a lot of tweaking to do.  It really does look worth it in sim.  So when i said it will make your work look different, it may do so in a good way.  Camouflaged skins are much improved with the wet look removed.  Bare metal skins no longer have the chrome mirrored look.  Obviously this will upset some people but to me they look much more realistic for wartime aircraft.

Lets look at some screenshots taken at the same settings and with the same planes.  Obviously these are static screenshots, in the sim the reflections are dynamic.

First the existing public release of the sim.

Note the reflection of the wing on the fuselage.  It is quite defined and is too mirror like.

1737179662_NotDiffused.thumb.jpg.e913037db2c7ed4f05fa5fcc14cd4636.jpg

The same skin with the newer WiP reflections

1087390655_P51DDiffusedReflection.thumb.jpg.7be43b1a86305a19b7bc8176dafd2332.jpg

Note the sharply defined prop blade reflection

please @ICDP can you share this invasion stripes layer? thank you

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 2:12 AM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Perhaps from flying mostly near to or over the sea, the atmospheric conditions including higher humidity will give higher corrosion and paint separation etc.

Also things like higher levels of salt contained in rainwater, while operating near the sea (especially when there are fewer hangers) might exacerbate this.

Edited by Aurora_Stealth