Until the Last Plane - The WW2 Airfield Management

Hi guys, I'm Carlo from Italy. 
I am making a game - hope it's alright if I talk about it here? I don't want to intrude, so please tell me so if it's not proper.
Anyway. A few years ago I started to approach flight simulators, but since I also had a passion for management games, I decided to mix the two things. 
So now I'm developing an WW2 airfield management game in which you can recruit pilots, craft spare parts, repair damaged planes, upgrade the airfield, and...when ready, send a squadron on mission. It is still a prototype, more of a proof of concept, but well you gotta start somewhere.
Unfortunately, I'm just a dev, I have to divide myself between several aspects. I contacted various artists and tried to have them reproduce the most famous planes in pixel-art. Hope you will like the result, and also the concept. Any feedback will be appreciated, especially from a community of knowledgeable virtual pilots who might find some fun in revisiting the topic from a different perspective.
Thank you very much for your time, and to the 1C team for their hard work that keeps on delivering, every time, every year.

Cheers & take good care!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240550/Until_the_Last_Plane/

Edited by CarloC
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm back, guys. I've prepared a video summarizing the development of the last few weeks. I hope you like the different weapons placement per aircraft, but especially the squadron emblems. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm back with the third page of the diary. This time I wanted to implement the new "inspect" feature; before repairing an airplane now you need to inspect it to see which part is damaged. Then I updated the mission menu making it clearer and with more information. Finally I show how the pixel-art models all have the correct proportion according to the real aircraft.

Thanks @WIS-Redcoat, I'm thinking about making the bombers 😉. For now I haven't developed them yet because I'd like to make them with the right proportions (see video above).  But surely I'll plan in future.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

My favourite job would be staff-librarian at a decoy-airfield.

Are there any openings available?

"Give me Operations..."

Sorry @Bremspropeller but I haven't planned a library yet 😉

Maybe I can hire you to keep the plane schematics safe.😀

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry for long absent, I was busy in development 😀 Today I wanna show you the new gameplay video, remastered with latest features. New missions menu, new workshop, and new repair system. Hope you like it:

Edited by CarloC

It looks amusing...

To be honest though, it would be nice to have a mental health management aspect - to represent not only the fatigue of aircrews (leading to insensitivity to danger and to mistakes), but also the mental health impacts of losses on squadron mates and on ground crews (particularly where multi-seat bombers would often expose ground-crews to mutilated aircrew).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 2:51 AM, CarloC said:

Thanks @Avimimus! I'll take your suggestion under advisement.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Honestly, even if you don't go all Darkest Dungeon with a full game mechanic - taking the load or boot screen and incorporating a dedication commemorating the emotional and psychological (as well as physical) tolls on ground crews in addition to pilots would be really nice. It wasn't easy being a ground crew.

P.S.

My Grandfather worked on Lancasters (mainly fixing wiring between raids). He was pretty shook up. Overall casualties were 44.4% of aircrews (Some of those units had casualty rates in excess of 50% - if I recall correctly the ANZACs were really hard hit, with one unit approaching three quarters of their crews at one point).

• Thanks 1

You're right! That's exactly what I've wanted to do since I started this project.

About the bombers: in the first release the game will focus on fighters, but I plan to develop DLC or patches where the bomber also becomes the protagonist.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back. As promised, I listened to @Avimimus suggestions. 😄☺️

In this new page of the diary you will find the new stress and fatigue management; always pay attention to the threshold of fatigue, better not go into battle with the tired squadron. Also the first service vehicle is also presented: the tow truck; useful to cut the time needed to dismantle a wreck.

Thanks again guys!

• Upvote 1

That’s very interesting.  It would give you a better feeling of empathy with the pilots and make you a little more edgy about sending them out. Would things like decorations or a spot of leave perhaps give the pilots a boost?  Medals would maybe be a temporary fix, but some leave would have a chance at topping them right up (or not..  they might have a shit time).

• 1 month later...

I'm back with news. Here the 5th page of my diary. You'll find a focus on pilot ranks but the most important thing is that I dropped the dice for dogfight. Now there is a turn-based combat, that will bring more strategy and interaction. Hope you like it! Thank you all!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Here the link to my 6th page of the diary. Let me introduce random events and the new skill tree. Also I'm happy to announce that my game will be at Steam Autumn Festival, so you can download the demo starting October 7th.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, I'm back with my usual video about the development. This time I show you the reconaissance completely revised, with more interaction. Also there is the new mission: Artillery bombardment.

Hi guys! I've updated the trailer, now it shows more gameplay. But the most important thing is that the game has a release date: March 4th!!!

Only few weeks more!

Thanks again for following me during this year of development!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...