Sign in to follow this  
PvWolfe

Future of the game?

I suspect FC will continue to grow the way Great Battles has, though likely at a slower clip. We do have a good single player campaign in the PWCC, the core game is going to continue to receive improvements as the core game continues to develop. Further, I expect the WWI side to continue to attract new players, especially as VR becomes more common. Flying an open cockpit dog fighter in VR is a positively visceral experience, and is more tolerant of lower performance than faster aircraft are. 

Basically, I think we'll see it grow, it's just going to take time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I do not play MP games (for whatever reason, so not the point). As a new customer, what options are left to enjoy playing this game a few hours a week for $80 (besides an external PWCG mod)? ... 

Edited by yaan98

21 minutes ago, yaan98 said:

I do not play MP games (for whatever reason, so not the point). As a new customer, what options are left to enjoy playing this game a few hours a week for $80 (besides an external PWCG mod)? ... 

At least one of the multiplayer servers has some AI aircraft, and if you happen to be into two-seaters, there are targets and objectives.

There is no in-built immersive career for FC; but hope springs eternal.

51 minutes ago, yaan98 said:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have just had the new FC video, and it is something that I'm sure will attract a few more players, but if that video was backed up by a statement from the devs telling prospective new players, that new content will arrive in the future with it's own SP career and missions, maps and new aeroplanes, then it may just gander a lot more interest.

Sadly, with no clear look forward from official sources, the status quo will be unlikely to improve. 

It's a shame, because there was so much hope for it's future from the WWI crowd, but without official positive statements coming from above, that hope may start to wane...  :unsure:

Edited by Trooper117
  • Upvote 3

On 4/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, Trooper117 said:

Well, yet another post decrying the state of FC1... how many more similar initial posts will we see I wonder?

Is it a fad of the times, or just that people really don't read the information that is available when you buy the thing?

What I read was 'Vol 1'.

If the possibility of a second volume is written in the stars, then calling a product 'Vol 1' is misleading advertising.

$80 for FC?  That is a tad cheaper than the first WWI Flight sim I bought!  That first flight sim was called Red Baron (no bloody numbers or letters after it!)  It cost USD (1993 version)$50.00 in 2020 dollars that equals 89.52.  Slightly more expensive than FC.  Now lets add in the lines of code needed to write to bring those games to life on our screens.  The original Red Baron came on 3 floppy disk or a max of 4.3Mb total.  That probably is what is needed to model the effects of the ailerons in FC.  

I get tired of people talking about how expensive these games are.  When you factor in inflation and what is needed to satisfy us in terms of lines of code;  these games are easily the cheapest flight sims in history!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Red Baron shipped with some of the best single player content on the market at the time.  FC comes with less content than other products in its same series.

We get it, multiplayer people are happy with their online disappearing plane game.  I don't see too many complaints from the people who play online.  Its the people who want a single player experience, at least equal to what is offered by other titles in the series, and without needing to fiddle with 3rd party stuff, who feel the price is a bit steep.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

$80 for FC?  That is a tad cheaper than the first WWI Flight sim I bought!  That first flight sim was called Red Baron (no bloody numbers or letters after it!)  It cost USD (1993 version)$50.00 in 2020 dollars that equals 89.52.  Slightly more expensive than FC.

When one compares Red Baron to Rise of Flight, what's different? Also, what features/things are in IL-2 FB that aren't in IL-2 2001? As well, how much does FB cost vs IL-2 2001, same question goes with FB or PF vs IL-2 1946.

With IL-2 1946 and IL-2 GBs we see many differences/improvements, but with RoF and FC, except for VR we see subtle/minimal differences.

I got Rise of Flight in late summer of 2016 (so, quite late) and bought many DLCs after that. If I had known that a year later Flying Circus would be coming, I probably wouldn't have bought those DLCs. People here spent like $200 CDN on RoF and now it's that they kinda have to buy it again and pay more $ on a "improved" version which will cost close to $400 CDN ($100 per each volume of 10 planes).

Charging $80 US ($100 CDN) for FC1 was one thing, but giving people who actually supported Rise of Flight only a $5-15 discount (many of which got the $5 or $10 discount) was another thing. Regardless of whether or not you supported RoF, everyone ended paying pretty much the same amount for FC1, save for those who have bought it on a 50% sale.

In 2017, was it really worth to just dump RoF 2 years after ending work on it, or would it be better to just give the DN engine to another team to work on RoF, while the devs work on Il-2 GBs with the DW or Sturmovik engine?

Those are my views on this.

Developers base their decisions on what they do and when on commercial viability, rather than on the views of random forum members who seem to think that a purchase involves some sort of contract for endlessly continued development. 

• Upvote 1