Sign in to follow this  
klunker

These Tanks have functioning periscopes:

KV 1:

1.  Gunner:  Rotates 360 degrees (SECOND nestle click to gunsight)

M4A2:

1. Driver and Radioman have periscopes that rotate 45 degrees from center (With VISOR closed)

2. Commander:  Rotates 360 degrees when with cupola hatch closed. (not actually a periscope, but just a view port that rotates from inside).

SU 122:

1. Gunner: Rotates 360 degrees (FIRST nestle to gunsight)  Note: VISOR must be opened..to see outside, otherwise the periscope only views inside of vehicle when the gunners visor is closed.

2. Commander: Rotates 360 degrees (First nestle to gunsight) Note: Not affected by the VISOR open or close command.

T-34 (43 only):

1.  Gunner: Rotates 360 degrees (SECOND nestle to gunsight note: Not affected by the Visor open or close command)

The above information is provided for people new to Tank Crew, or anyone else with the English language edition that have not discovered the periscope controls within the key mapping pages.

The periscope controls can be set via the Key Mapping charts in both Tank controls and Weapons controls.  They are listed under "Actions" as:  "VISOR". 

My ignorance of the periscope controls was removed by Yogiflight who corrected me after I had submitted a suggestion to include a rotating periscope in the Commanders position of the Su 122.  I'm including that info here in Tank Crew forum for people like me who don't peruse the whole forum, but just go to the relevant forum topics to find information on a given subject matter.

This issue is addressed to the English Language folks because for whatever reason, the TC developers have married the concept of visors with periscopes.  Yogiflight says it reads as "periscope" in the German language versions of the game.  Periscope availability is definitely tied to the visors in some of the models:  M4 and SU where the visor position dictates if the periscope is available or not in some positions.  The visor position has nothing to do with the T34 or the KV gunners, however. 

Recommend the developers include the word "Periscope" in the English language version of the game in the Key Mapping pages where Visor is indicated.   I don't know if this is also a problem for other language editions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The one in the M4 is particularly useful. I had no idea about this until I saw  NHK295M using it in one of his streams.

13 minutes ago, [CPT]Pike*HarryM said:

The one in the M4 is particularly useful. I had no idea about this until I saw  NHK295M using it in one of his streams.

Yep, I've been totally clueless about ALL of them for a few months now...ever since I bought TC.  Didn't watch the stream you mentioned.

I think the one in the M4 would be even more useful if you could nestle up to it and move with it as is done in the other periscopes.  With the M4 you have to be able to move your head  inside the cupola around as it moves instead of just being married to the rotating view, as is the case with the SU-122 Commanders view.  Speaking of which..I think the periscope in the commander's place is even more useful than the one in the M4 because as it stands now, the Su 122 commander cannot get out of the tank to view the outside.  Without the periscope, the vehicle is a certain deathtrap in Multiplayer where situational awareness is paramount.  Without a rotating periscope, it would also be useless in multiplayer for anyone who would want to play the Commander's role in the vehicle.   

Yeah, have not used the Su-122 all that much, nice to know it can do that. The few times I did the lack of view was a pain.

1 hour ago, klunker said:

I think the one in the M4 would be even more useful if you could nestle up to it and move with it as is done in the other periscopes.  With the M4 you have to be able to move your head  inside the cupola around as it moves instead of just being married to the rotating view,

Yes, you have to get used to it. I used it very much in Thad's scripted mission for the Sherman, when buttoned and once used to it, it is quite handsome, as long as you have TrackIR or something silmilar. The reason why they didn't make it work like the periscopes in the russian tanks surely is, because the commander in the Sherman had to turn his head, when turning the periscope and viewing through through, while in the russian tanks only the head outside of the tanks was turning, so the commander/gunner didn't have to turn their heads.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:46 PM, klunker said:

With the M4 you have to be able to move your head  inside the cupola around as it moves instead of just being married to the rotating view

i'm use both options: rotate by keys + rotate by mouse with right button pushed(with mouse view). It give me several ways to use - when i push right mouse button it rotate with my view when i release button - it stays and can be corrected by keys on KB if i want.

• Thanks 1

It would be nice that T-34 turret wouldn't center and lock when you quickly go to your periscope to check your surroundings.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

It would be nice that T-34 turret wouldn't center and lock when you quickly go to your periscope to check your surroundings.

I just tried and it stayed at the same position, even when I changed back into turret inside view.

Edited by Yogiflight

22 hours ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

It shouldn't center the turret when you switch to periscope. This has never happend to me. You might have to re-check your keybindings.

Ok just tested and looks like the default (Rshift+T) always centers the turret and locks it, but when i bind it to somewhere else it works like it should.

1 hour ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

Ok just tested and looks like the default (Rshift+T) always centers the turret and locks it, but when i bind it to somewhere else it works like it should.

Do you have mapped 'Take/Leave gun control' to this key? This would explain it.

27 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Do you have mapped 'Take/Leave gun control' to this key? This would explain it.

Yes, they are default keys. Need to bind it somewhere else.