SCG_motoadve

Downhill take offs

Have loved watching your flying videos Motoadve. Also thanks for sharing them, some are very informative for real time pilots going into small/short & soft fields.

I am very impressed with your flying skill and love the relationship ( if you will ) between you and the plane ( C-182 ), you have to know that planes handling exceptionally to do

and go where you go.

I have a couple of questions in regards to that very nice C-182 you're flying. Maintenance wise I was curious of how the nose strut holds up throughout these back country fields and river bed

takeoffs and landings. I noticed on your intro an advertisement for McFarlane and I know they make very nice kits that prevent the infamous strut leaks these nose gears can have. Also, I was

curious of how you avoid picking up debris from the ground during takeoffs that can nick the prop tips a bit. I was taught a long time ago when taking off from soft fields with lots of gravel and stuff that if you add power gradually you should be fine, however in some of your cases it does not look like you have much of a choice for that luxury although it may be that you are able to keep rolling up to the beginning of the take off roll enabling you to gradually throttle up.  Also in regards to some of these strips that are not level, how do you handle a situation where the wind is favoring the uphill takeoff vs the downhill takeoff . There is an old rule of thumb to add 10 % takeoff or landing roll for every 2 kts of tailwind up to 10kts of tail wind, however this just looks like it doesn't quite apply all the time with all the places you go.

Well, I hope you don't mind the questions, these have been sort of in the back of my mind while watching some of your videos and now with what all is going on I have time to finally ask.

Thanks so much and if you are ever in Greensboro, NC shoot me a notification and we will treat you to a nice southern home meal.

-sf-       

4 hours ago, soarfeat said:

Have loved watching your flying videos Motoadve. Also thanks for sharing them, some are very informative for real time pilots going into small/short & soft fields.

I am very impressed with your flying skill and love the relationship ( if you will ) between you and the plane ( C-182 ), you have to know that planes handling exceptionally to do

and go where you go.

I have a couple of questions in regards to that very nice C-182 you're flying. Maintenance wise I was curious of how the nose strut holds up throughout these back country fields and river bed

takeoffs and landings. I noticed on your intro an advertisement for McFarlane and I know they make very nice kits that prevent the infamous strut leaks these nose gears can have. Also, I was

curious of how you avoid picking up debris from the ground during takeoffs that can nick the prop tips a bit. I was taught a long time ago when taking off from soft fields with lots of gravel and stuff that if you add power gradually you should be fine, however in some of your cases it does not look like you have much of a choice for that luxury although it may be that you are able to keep rolling up to the beginning of the take off roll enabling you to gradually throttle up.  Also in regards to some of these strips that are not level, how do you handle a situation where the wind is favoring the uphill takeoff vs the downhill takeoff . There is an old rule of thumb to add 10 % takeoff or landing roll for every 2 kts of tailwind up to 10kts of tail wind, however this just looks like it doesn't quite apply all the time with all the places you go.

Well, I hope you don't mind the questions, these have been sort of in the back of my mind while watching some of your videos and now with what all is going on I have time to finally ask.

Thanks so much and if you are ever in Greensboro, NC shoot me a notification and we will treat you to a nice southern home meal.

-sf-       

It will have to be so windy to take off uphill, instead of downhill, I will probably wait until dusk to take off.

I have the MT propeller , which is composite, great performer, the trick to avoid nicks is to keep moving, and apply power gradually.

MC Farlane makes lots of parts for Cessna which are great quality and a fraction of the cost, they also sell the MT prop.

Strut holds up well, its rough where I land but I try to land as slow and as smooth as possible, some airplane owners make some nasty landings on paved runways that hurt more the plane that the landings I do in the backcountry.

What suffer is the horizontal stab, when you land you kick up rocks, and then comes the horizontal stab at 50MPH to receive all the rocks, no way to avoid it.