saldy

Operation Büffel (Ju 52)

Posted (edited)

operationbuffel2.jpg

Operation Buffalo - small campaign (5 missions) for all fans of Tante Ju. Caucasus, late autumn 1942. Do not hide the entire GUI (H key) when flying a mission. Doing so will disable the messages you receive during flight. Instal enclosed skins. Instal the file "Operation Buffel" to Campaigns folder. For installation v1.1 remove old v1.0. Have fun.

V1.1

-Need instal enclosed Ju52 skins by ACG_Rostic

-Removed cinematic effect 

-Wind force is reduced

-Runway lighting during night takeoff

-Minor adjustments to missions

V1.2

-Missing briefings in non-english game versions fixed

-Inaccurately waypoints on map fixed

-Adler airfield modified

V1.2a

-For installation v1.2a remove old v1.2

-Update for 4.501 patch

Edited by saldy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 14
  • Upvote 8

@saldy
If I install it in the campaign folder, than I cannot find it in the game.
If I install it as mission, I find the folder but it's like is empty... 
Do you have some idea how to fix it?

3 minutes ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

@saldy
If I install it in the campaign folder, than I cannot find it in the game.
If I install it as mission, I find the folder but it's like is empty... 
Do you have some idea how to fix it?

Solved.

I just had to remove the first level folder

Great I will give it a go this weekend. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you very much for this, Saldy. 
Stay safe.

• Like 1

Thank you very much! What a pleasure to fly Tante Ju dropping paras

• Like 1

Hi.

In first mission by default Ju.52 equipped by 2300 kg of military cargo. Do I must select paratroopers or this is mission of cargo delivery for first wave?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JG77-FluGb0t- said:

Hi.

In first mission by default Ju.52 equipped by 2300 kg of military cargo. Do I must select paratroopers or this is mission of cargo delivery for first wave?

Hi JG77-FluGb0t- 

There is no need to change anything, for all missions. Airborn is only for second mission.

buffel01.jpg

buffel02.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks promising, but i cant get that plane off the ground. Found i had to release the parking brakes, but no power revving up,

slow taxi-ing, and even engine failure. What am i doing wrong?

PS these guys look like Sean Bean ... and the gunner needs an umbrella.

Campaign Buffe Pic.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

A newbie question.
In the first mission, when I start the engine and wait for all the 3 to start up, I move the throttle up to 40-50% and get warning that the engine is damaged.
Any idea why?

Edited by Zeev

14 minutes ago, Zeev said:

A newbie question.
In the first mission, when I start the engine and wait for all the 3 to start up, I move the throttle up to 40-50% and get warning that the engine is damaged.
Any idea why?

Found parking brakes were on, but after release somethings wrong, taxi-ing slow, and failure. Some dragging brakes?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Found parking brakes were on, but after release somethings wrong, taxi-ing slow, and failure. Some dragging brakes?

Parking brakes is usually the first culprit, but you have managed to sort that one out. Are all 3 throttles moving? You should also note that in Ju 52 throttles also control braking. You have to have more than 25% of throttle, otherwise you're actually braking. I hope this helps.

Edited by Nadelbaum
Fixed autocorrect fails...
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Dont know, but parking brakes should not damage engine, right? 🤪

4 minutes ago, Zeev said:

Dont know, but parking brakes should not damage engine, right? 🤪

That's true. What about the temperatures? Have you opened water AND oil radiators for all engines? What are those temperatures showing at the time when the engine breaks? How long after engine start does the engine failure happen? I've honestly never managed to break the engines unless flying accidentally with full throttle (93% should be your maximum at cruise).

Posted (edited)

way is correct?

IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Campaigns

"there is no task description"

Spoiler

pclhuhTEYGA.jpg

UPD.
Resolved. Just change game in ENG language.

Edited by JG77-FluGb0t-

The problem with engine #1 damaged occurred to me too. Nevertheless, I did the mission with all temperatures. RPM, etc - showing normal readings. It seems to be a little bug with no practical effect. Just ignore. 

Same, encountered the same problems with No. 1 engine.  Also occurred while trying this with simplified (automated) controls, so the temps should have been controlled by the AI. (unless you've implemented a random malfunction?). I resolved it by restarting the mission again as a temp fix???

Anyway...… Missions still look promising.:good:

A Seriously PITA aircraft to taxi to the flight line and take off with....(written whilst recovering from the last gazillion ground loop's :wacko:

Ju52 & ground loops; annoying .... time to get a locked tail wheel for this plane, historical or not; my foot. Why this ground looping BTW: with 3 engines that should not be?.

Or better, a flyable C-47 - Lisunov Li-2. Only then i'll buy Normandy LoL.

And with torpedo planes and  flyables bombers like Lancasters and B17s i'll buy it twice for sure.

A lot of folk seem be having a lot of trouble with Ju52 engine management, brakes, ground loops etc . Brakes and flaps are especially complex. Might be worthwhile having a refresher/look at Requiem's 'How to fly' about the Ju52?

Having said that, it's really not an easy first mission take-off with the howling tail-wind gale...

• Upvote 1

I think "damaged engine" is bug. Start in wind is difficult. It is not necessary to own special throttle. This is only very gently work with rudder.

First mission start...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The power levers move a lot in the beginning 🙂 ... Nice video, thanks, looks better than on my screen; all darkness. with the HUD (I) present one could see the speeds, quite a long run indeed.

So i reset the 01. mission to a single mission in the FME, and edited it to daytime and less rain LoL.. Then i could see the levers, and the blue ones (mixture) do nothing, what ever i tried, maybe because i set some engine management function to auto.

PS I set Bomb door toggle in key mappings, but it doesn't seem to work ...

Wow! With great relief completed the first mission just now.

Literally don't know where I would've been without the trusty IL2 Mission Planner and a wind calculator

https://il2missionplanner.com/#kuban

http://svaf.net/windcalc/wadc.html

Nice tip about the radio beacon at Maikop airfield. I gently descended through the clouds – and there it was! Had a wee circle for visual check, then landed. Good feeling! (Lovely dawn by the way )

Big thanks, Saldy, looking forward to rest of the campaign 😀

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

How do you set or activate the radio beacon? Tried to find its plane function in keymappings, but only saw radio chatter ..

Mission planner is new to me also 😕

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

Just finished the first mission, it looked really awesome with the dawn and bad weather. Struggled a bit to keep the plane going forward during takeoff, but no engine damage as expected. It takes a bit of time to get to TO speed as the plane is full of fuel (!), cargo and the turret. Basically maximum load.

I always fly low with Tante Ju, this time too. Around 300-400m so didn't have to worry about the clouds and could navigate with the landmarks. 

Really looking forward to the next missions. Many thanks for creating this!

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

The power levers move a lot in the beginning 🙂 ... Nice video, thanks, looks better than on my screen; all darkness. with the HUD (I) present one could see the speeds, quite a long run indeed.

So i reset the 01. mission to a single mission in the FME, and edited it to daytime and less rain LoL.. Then i could see the levers, and the blue ones (mixture) do nothing, what ever i tried, maybe because i set some engine management function to auto.

PS I set Bomb door toggle in key mappings, but it doesn't seem to work ...

@jollyjackBomb door toggle (for unloading cargo) should work. Please keep in mind that you need to first come to stand still (engines can be running, but you have to have stopped the plane), then you need to open the canopy (you can see this by looking at your left window in the cockpit, it should open). After the canopy is open you can use the Bomb door toggle (default key is B) to unload the cargo.

38 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

How do you set or activate the radio beacon? Tried to find its plane function in keymappings, but only saw radio chatter ..

Mission planner is new to me also 😕

@jollyjack You don't need to activate the radio beacon. The way it has been implemented in IL-2 is that the homing beacon sticks to the closest one that has been put into the mission/map. In this mission the beacon will automatically activate when you are about 100 km from the destination airfield. 

Edited by Nadelbaum
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nadelbaum said:

Just finished the first mission, it looked really awesome with the dawn and bad weather. Struggled a bit to keep the plane going forward during takeoff, but no engine damage as expected. It takes a bit of time to get to TO speed as the plane is full of fuel (!), cargo and the turret. Basically maximum load.

I always fly low with Tante Ju, this time too. Around 300-400m so didn't have to worry about the clouds and could navigate with the landmarks. 

Interesting. I flew it completely differently. Taxied carefully forward to where the other two aircarft had just taken off from, then swung round and took off into the gale. Very short, stable, run then lifted off easily. Had my course and heading planned out before, so took the plane up through the turbulence to above the overcast. Both methods pretty valid - but the turbulence is gone above the cloud and I got to see the Sun come up :)

I'm also looking forward to the rest of the campaign...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Crashbangwallop said:

Interesting. I flew it completely differently. Taxied carefully forward to where the other two aircarft had just taken off from, then swung round and took off into the gale. Very short, stable, run then lifted off easily. Had my course and heading planned out before, so took the plane up through the turbulence to above the overcast. Both methods pretty valid - but the turbulence is gone above the cloud and I got to see the Sun come up :)

I'm also looking forward to the rest of the campaign...

Well, it is just a habit as flying low typically keeps you safe(r) in multiplayer servers. Enemy fighters have harder time spotting you. At least that's what I like to think 😜

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nadelbaum said:

Well, it is just a habit as flying low typically keeps you safe(r) in multiplayer servers. Enemy fighters have harder time spotting you. At least that's what I like to think 😜

Me too, when I do get around to online (not much just now). Using it quite a lot for navigation practice, don't know why as the cockpit view is very restricted. Took the chance of going high on this flight as; it was the introductory mission and didn't think the designer would put us straight into peril, and I didn't fancy the murky turbulence hassle. Probably have to go low in the next one as I think it's a combat drop, and could be nasty. Love the Ju52, wish there was more...

Edited by Crashbangwallop
Spelling, dammit...

Just finished mission number 2! It was a success for me as the flight leader, but the 2 wingmen didn't make it. About halfway to the target they all of the sudden declared themselves wounded and turned back to home base. Maybe this is intentional and scripted, but I'm more tempted to think that flying high up in the mountains, but still as low as possible, wasn't easy for the AI and they somehow hit the treetops... I forgot to turn on recording so can't really say anything except that they we still up in the air after this event.

For some reason during this flight the pause key didn't work for me. Life happened i.e. I was distracted for a moment, but had already flown about 30 minutes so didn't want to quit. I tried to hit P for pause, but it didn't do anything!? Is this something that can actually be disabled in Scripted Campaigns? It is clear that in multiplayer servers the pause is not allowed, but I didn't think it is disallowed in Scripted Campaigns. 

The other thing that didn't work was the time acceleration. These missions are rather long and there's not much to do apart from admiring the landscape while on your way to the target so it would be great to use accelerated time every now and then. Again, maybe just a glitch during this mission or maybe this is also something that the Campaign creator can disallow in the settings?? 

@saldy?

Right, pause and time don't work.. I finished that mission with my AI, so yes, I guess they had some problem..

@ITAF_Airone1989 Thanks for the confirmation.

@saldy Since I'm not familiar on mission building would you please allow both pausing and time acceleration for the Campaign? I believe the level of immersion should be left for the pilots to decide and not enforced... And in any case Pause in long missions is quite critical due to Real Life Events that can't be avoided...

I found this link:

Maybe the same mechanism is the culprit here as well? Again, I'm not familiar with the Mission Builder, but searching through the forums it looks like this is a known issue and there's a workaround. Again assuming that Operation Büffel is using the stuff described in the thread.

Thanks for the feedback, this is very important for the next update.. I didn't know what was causing problem with pausing and time acceleration, maybe it will be fixed in v1.1.

Wingmans problem in second mission: My tester reported me some trouble with wingmans, but I didn't notice any trouble, I flew a mission many many times. I maneuver very gently, sometimes slow down my speed and my wingmans slowly join the formation. If less fuel improves the situation, it will be corrected.

paratroopers.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, saldy said:

Thanks for the feedback, this is very important for the next update..

If I can add a couple of things for feedback too...

In the briefing it is very useful to know the windspeed, but could there be some idea of the direction it's blowing from? I could gauge it from the windsock next to the plane in the first mission, but couldn't see one in the second.

Also, in the paradrop mission, one of the wingmen decided to stay on the ground. He got his engine started, lit his lights – and was still there when I got back to Maikop. The other one, rather insubordinately, just made his own way to the drop despite me telling him to 'Do as I do' and also get in a 'V' formation. I think he was about 5 or 6 minutes behind me (maybe I was too fast?).

I, too, had an issue with the missing 'pause' and 'speed acceleration'. It seems that's a very general point that a few people are having, and not a big deal for me so far, but I did end up with a cold coffee...

Very much liking the work you've put in - it's very atmospheric😀 Thank you...

AFAIK, time accel isn't available during campaigns in the current game's engine version - neither on previous - this is an old "bug", reported and discussed on other threads as well, so I think there's nothing that the mission maker can do about it. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

AFAIK, time accel isn't available during campaigns in the current game's engine version - neither on previous - this is an old "bug", reported and discussed on other threads as well, so I think there's nothing that the mission maker can do about it. 

Well, in fact I started the mission editor for the first time in my life. With a bit of reading the manual I managed to open Mission 2 (just to test) and search and find the 3 Media MCUs. After deleting all three and saving the mission everything was fine! So this basically proves that the Media MCUs are the culprit. And also, most likely, you are able to fix this without having to actually delete them by following the suggestions in the other thread. Mission 2 flown now with Pause and Time acceleration enabled 🤗

Edited by Nadelbaum
  • Thanks 1

I did the same, and saved 01.mission as single player instead of campaign, so i could load it as 'normal' mission. I was told that the media MCUs disable time scale ...

Starting it in the dark & rain was also something without lights showing a runway, so i modded some things and added a bunch of waypoints for an autopiloted route.

Some like long flights, but an hour at the PC screen or so gets boring. I grouped some items like towns and blocks. Maybe that speeds up loading?

Saldy, if you want a copy to mess with PM me and i'll mail a link. It's your idea so i won't publicize it here ...

• Like 2

I've flown mission #1 until I got bored (half-way). Then, instead of wasting CPU cycles flying in autopilot, I aborted, started it again and right at the start I pressed the "drop cargo" button. Mission accomplished, jumped into #2 and flown it entirely (drop paratroopers). That one was good. First one, although good too (flying in bad weather), get's boring once you know what bearing you must fly (I will not tell it here, but it is ease to figure out using mission planner site).