Yak 1s69 vs Yak 1s127

I wrote this a long time ago but it compares some basic stats and comments on the Yak-1 vs Yak-1B. https://stormbirds.blog/2016/11/11/comparing-the-yak/

The Yak-1B Series 127 is my current favourite Russian fighter. Probably of all time but also currently to fly... the Yak-9 has some big shoes to fill if it ends up dethroning the Yak-1B. We'll see :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, VampireNZ said:

@ShamrockOneFive Hiya Shamrock - love your site! Flight-sim news page is my regular go-to for any flightsim info. That Yak-9 is indeed looking awesome, might have to get me each version to add to  my Yak collection.😎

Hey VampireNZ! Great to hear! Thanks for the kind words.

The Yak-9 is pretty exciting for me as fan of this series of aircraft. The Yak-9 is going to be cool, the 9T should be really fun too :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The Yak-1B Series 127 is my current favourite Russian fighter. Probably of all time but also currently to fly... the Yak-9 has some big shoes to fill if it ends up dethroning the Yak-1B. 

Why does nobody like the Yak-7b though? 🤔 It flies so fantastic and packs a real punch compared to the Yak-1b.

• Like 7
20 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Why does nobody like the Yak-7b though? 🤔 It flies so fantastic and packs a real punch compared to the Yak-1b.

I love it.  There is a myth surrounding the 7b that it is heavier and so climbs & turns worse but the stats show that the differences in climb rate and turn rate are so tiny that no human pilot,either enemy or in-cockpit, would ever see them.   The only real difference comes down to 'Clear Rear View' versus 'Heavier firepower' and in my opinion the fact that the 7bs canopy is longer to account for a rear seat means the blind spot to the rear is negligible while the small increase in hitting power makes a noticeable  difference to how long it takes to get a killing shot.     
I am expecting the 9 versus 9T argument to be the same. People are already saying they won't touch the 9T because it weighs more so must perform worse than the 9 despite historical accounts saying the performance of both are very close and many of the top pilots preferred the 9T for air combat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I love flying the Yak-7B. It's not as nice looking as the Yak-1B and it doesn't have the clear rearview that is unparalleled compared to most fighters but it flies beautifully and yeah it has a little extra punch with that extra machine gun.

I do think people underestimate it's performance which as has already been pointed out is functionally very very similar to the 1B.

22 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Well, you got me enthusiastic about the Yak 1b, and got it thanks the promo offer. ... it's a nice one against 109 E7s. but whats this:

Yak 1b.jpg

That's the radiator. In your shot is fully opened.

Haha, Yak's water radiator. Looks like opening it that much helped decreasing temperature maybe because of under pressure behind. Look at Tempest radiator in open position, it's even bigger airbrake but in Tempest's case it's being open only at the ground or steep, slow climb at high power when Yaks needed it more or less open during flight with full power/RPM.

Edited by kramer
25 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Well, you got me enthusiastic about the Yak 1b, and got it thanks the promo offer. ... it's a nice one against 109 E7s. but whats this:

Earlier Yaks were built around the less Powerful 105P and PA Engine, which produced less Heat and thus were the Radiators sized.

With the Switch to the PF Engine on the S69, it became apparent that the Cooling Power of the Radiators was insufficient, but it was produced nonetheless but suffered from Overheating quite a lot.

In the S127 they adressed the Issue the Soviet Way, by simply allowing the Shutter to open more. Cooling Effectiveness was increased slightly, but Drag is increased enormously when it is open that much. So only open it that much in Emergencies.

4 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

It looks horrible compared to the Yak-1b, that's why 😀. But the flying qualities are excellent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

It looks horrible compared to the Yak-1b, that's why 😀. But the flying qualities are excellent.

Just compared the 1b and 7b ... i think i like the 1b better, but i haven't gone into this mixture etc settings ... guess i am more into chasing Messerschmidts and programming bombing jobs.

About dog-fighting;  tried that Mig3, but found it not really on par to any yak, unless you like rocket shooting. This LaGG also is a good one, and the La_5n too.

BTW with that P47D i always hit the ground at some point chasing the boogiemen. A pity FC1 seems to be on hold; dog fighting with Biplanes seems more game fun.

Edited by jollyjack
added
17 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Like that matters

most servers do not allow for external view. 
and it give me that long missed hurricane feeling

That was kind of a joke 😉

6 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Just compared the 1b and 7b ... i think i like the 1b better, but i haven't gone into this mixture etc settings ... guess i am more into chasing Messerschmidts and programming bombing jobs.

PS tried that Mig3, but found it not really on par any yak, unless you like rocket shooting. A pity FC1 seems to be on hold; dog fighting with Biplanes seems more game fun. This LaGG seems also a good one ...

Better weapons on Yak-7b is the main difference as said above. And worse visibility compared to the 1b.

On 3/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I love it.  There is a myth surrounding the 7b that it is heavier and so climbs & turns worse but the stats show that the differences in climb rate and turn rate are so tiny that no human pilot,either enemy or in-cockpit, would ever see them.

I fly the 1B with my friends who only have the 7B, and when we open up the throttle to chase something, my plane does pull away from theirs, especially in a climb

11 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I fly the 1B with my friends who only have the 7B, and when we open up the throttle to chase something, my plane does pull away from theirs, especially in a climb

Yak-1b

• Climb rate at sea level: 16.9 m/s
  • Climb rate at 3000 m: 15.0 m/s
  • Climb rate at 6000 m: 9.4 m/s
  •  
  • Yak-7b
  • Climb rate at sea level: 17.0 m/s
  • Climb rate at 3000 m: 15.0 m/s
  • Climb rate at 6000 m: 9.5 m/s

How you fly makes a much bigger difference.  You could put your friends in 1bs and still pull away, especially if they are following rather than leading as trying to copy what the man in front does creates a lot of drag.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
On 3/28/2020 at 3:46 PM, jollyjack said:

About dog-fighting;  tried that Mig3, but found it not really on par to any yak, unless you like rocket shooting.

Yeah, MiG is a nasty bird to master, however it does have some perks. Regarding dogfighting, it will give you the smoothest, sharpest turns if you keep her in a narrow domain of about 380 to 400 kph. Go slower and you'll bleed energy like hell, go faster and your controls will become heavy. But stay in that sweet spot and you have one of the best dogfighters in your hands.

On 3/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, 216th_Jordan said:

I think they believe that since it was derived from a high performance trainer it will be inferior to the the Yak 1s69 or 127, but it really isn't. It's handling is better than the other Yaks. Its undercarriage is much more rugged and taxiing is easier as it is noticeably lower to the ground too. It packs a good punch with a 20mm and a pair of 12.7s, all with a high cyclic rate and velocity. It also can carry more fuel, so fly with only 50-60% and the handling is better still and you will still have the range and duration you need. I've been getting into it several times during this lockdown.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:45 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Yak 1b.jpg

It looks the rubbish chute in my flats. I half expect a black bin bag to come falling out of it!😆

Edited by Reggie_Mental
On 3/29/2020 at 12:45 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

AKA speedbrake 😁.

Big Yak fan here too, hoping to go up for a ride in the back of the Yak-3 we have flying down here in Blenheim, New Zealand some time.

New Zealand Yak-3 Vid

Awesome thing about living in Blenheim is you see this thing out and about all the time either just cruising or practicing display flying. Was out in the Wither Hills (in background at end of vid) just the other day and it went tearing past low level 👌. Just sounded so effortless but it was really humming along. I hope the Yak-3 comes to IL-2 one day!

Joy Rides Russian WW2 Fighter - Yakovlev Yak-3

Edited by VampireNZ
Edit
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, VampireNZ said:

AKA speedbrake 😁.

Big Yak fan here too, hoping to go up for a ride in the back of the Yak-3 we have flying down here in Blenheim, New Zealand some time.

New Zealand Yak-3 Vid

Awesome thing about living in Blenheim is you see this thing out and about all the time either just cruising or practicing display flying. Was out in the Wither Hills (in background at end of vid) just the other day and it went tearing past low level 👌. Just sounded so effortless but it was really humming along. I hope the Yak-3 comes to IL-2 one day!

Joy Rides Russian WW2 Fighter - Yakovlev Yak-3

I made a skin of that plane for yak69 here:

Also, the 127 is the Cadillac of the Yaks. Super smooth ride and gun platform, lots of fuel, lower to the ground, and when you're out of bullets... You can make yourself the last bullet - just like Grandma when she drives her Cadillac in the neighborhood, and just how Stalin would want it.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch