Han

Developer Diary 246 - Discussion

OK, no problem. Patience is my middle name, which is unusual for a man I admit, but at least it isn't Sue.

• Haha 1

Yes, I checked out your Portchester online after I asked the question. 
I grew up in Port Chester, New York. We probably stole your name, but at least had the courtesy to spell it incorrectly. 

Cheers

Your version might be closer to the original spelling and ours a more recent contraction. Port still means a port, but chester is an older version of castle and the words must originally have been separated by a space, surely.

I fully agree with the majority here, I’d much prefer a properly sorted update than a botched and hurried job. Especially when it’s pretty important stuff. As always thanks for the work. You are all brilliant.

Thanks for the update.  When you announce a delay you might consider throwing out some eye candy on works in progress, whatever the stage, like the Yak-9, Hurribus, B-26 or anything else,  just to give us something fun.  Since you're posting anyway-

• Haha 1

Is there any chance that engines can be blown off now? I think that this is a critical part of the damage on all aircraft that has been missing in every flight sim. When you crash land at extreme angles It would be great to show it break off and then the aircraft could explode. But also during flight! I'm sure we have all see the B-26 image, but damages to the engine mountings or even propellers could prove catastrophic during flight as well. Having a prop fly off or an engine mount break would very dramatic.

5 minutes ago, -RR-Napoleon- said:

Is there any chance that engines can be blown off now? I think that this is a critical part of the damage on all aircraft that has been missing in every flight sim. When you crash land at extreme angles It would be great to show it break off and then the aircraft could explode. But also during flight! I'm sure we have all see the B-26 image, but damages to the engine mountings or even propellers could prove catastrophic during flight as well. Having a prop fly off or an engine mount break would very dramatic.

Would be cool. but we don't have that modeled.

Jason

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kendo said:

On the plus side, seems I chose a good time to finally get familiar with the P-47.

With the airframe DM and engine DM getting toughened up, the P47 should now be a 'tuff mutha'.

Just have to learn not to bend it out of shape on landing.

2020-3-29-21-23-42.jpg

I was looking for the airframe damage to blame this on but it seems you got some 'splaining to do in front of the safety officer tomorrow :)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Il-2 1946 had some engines separable... my first experience was installing the demo (bought on CD) on a friends computer and flying with keyboard - I used a 37mm cannon to blow the engine off a Fw-189... my mind was blown.

Things not covered in previous dev updates:

- The DM patches impact on FC (can one shoot through canvas? can one do so with the lewis from below)?

- The experience of fighting in a machine-gun armed fighters (I-16, MC.202)?

- The impact of the fragmentation model on rockets?

- The impact of the fragmentation model on low altitude bomb release (can larger pieces of shrapnel hit you further out? Or does it lower the safe deliver altitude)?

- Whether radial engines are expected to become slightly more durable than piston?

(I'm only mentioning these things in case you guys are looking for additional stuff to cover in Dev updates while waiting for the patch).

Edited by Avimimus
  • Upvote 2

On 3/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, AH_Hollywood said:

Thanks for the Cabin Fever sale as well.  Several got their “duff” off the proverbial fence recently. 

Is there a sale still going on?  I've been wanting to try out Battle of Kuban and Bottenplatte Premium editions forever.  And with all the crisis and "stay at home" order I'm under now would be the perfect time to invest assuming the price was right.   

52 minutes ago, humdinger said:

Is there a sale still going on?  I've been wanting to try out Battle of Kuban and Bottenplatte Premium editions forever.  And with all the crisis and "stay at home" order I'm under now would be the perfect time to invest assuming the price was right.   

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, humdinger said:

Go in il2 store and check your profile, on right side in red sqare section there is promo code subsection.

Copy 50% discount promo code and apply it on BoBp purchase.

• Thanks 1

Darling, sorry I'm come late for our dinner , but the new IL2 damage model is hard! 

damage.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, andres43 said:

Darling, sorry I'm come late for our dinner , but the new IL2 damage model is hard! 

damage.jpg

"And then to top it all off, someone named "HotLonelyWife42069" killed me like 6 times in a row on Berloga!"
"That was me, trying to get you to come to bed!"

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:16 AM, AnPetrovich said:

[...]

Therefore, last week the engines DM were also significantly improved. This is still not a "dream DM", but we did a significant step in that direction. Now this DM is on the test, and first results show that we are on the right track.

[...]

Sincerely,
Your IL-2 Sturmovik team.

I'm not sure if I've just missed where it was described elsewhere, but what should we be expecting from the new engine damage model? Is this going to be primarily focused on battle damage, or should we expect changes in the timer mechanics as well? 

I just want to level set my expectations, lest my hype train goes sub-orbital. And nobody really wants a sub-orbital train...

That said, I'm excited to see what comes out of this. Thank you all for all the hard work. 

It’s not described elsewhere. This is more like a teaser trailer. I’m sure the next DD will shine more light on the matter. Although, the release notes will happen pretty soon too, if the testing goes well ;)

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2020 at 9:26 PM, LizLemon said:

Sure dude.

Left = default scaling, middle = half, right = 1/4

2020_3_28__20_58_26.thumb.png.26ed835396ccaf213eb536186fbae1a5.png

And here is the relevant part of the shader

r1.x = cmp(MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE < r0.w);
 if (r1.x != 0) {
   r1.xyz = v0.xyz * r0.www;
   r1.xyz = r1.xyz / MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE;
  } else {
    r1.xyz = v0.xyz;
  }

I would love Han settling this once for all. Is it as easy to do and if yes why it is not done, As it has a major visual impact in normal and VR view.

Or does it really need a new graphic engine to solve the issue in which case fair enough, we will wait.

What I know is that I used some time ago the mod and even if it was not perfect it did mitigate things and was acceptable. Instead of a mod where its compatibility across updates is not guaranteed, why not have it in the game. Now the tracers are a similar type of problem as they are too much bright in full daylight even from afar.

Are we still getting new vehicles and binoculars in 4.005?

Cheers🥳

Possibly already answered, but does the damage model apply to FC as well, or for that matter any of the updates?

23 minutes ago, ST_Nooney said:

Possibly already answered, but does the damage model apply to FC as well, or for that matter any of the updates?

I don't think they said it specifically, but it should. The main thing seems to be that they've developed new better ways to translate the aircraft model into a damage system, and since I believe the aircraft they've got in FC should all have available structural blueprints, it should be just the same, or even easier to apply it to FC. 

Imperial Germany didn't burn everything they could when the war ended, unlike some groups.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ST_Nooney said:

Yes, will apply to EVERYTHING in the sim including tanks.

• Like 1