Han

Developer Diary 246 - Discussion

The next game update certainly looks impressive with all those improvements, looking forward to it.;)

Yak also looks awesome, still not as pretty as a Hurricane though, that is what I really want and the wait is painful.

Anyway, thanks again for the continuing improvements, really appreciated.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Glad to see we get the inverse square law at last.

Amazing thank you for your hard work 👍🏆

Will the patch improve visibility? No amount of yaks will make the game more enjoyable for me when planes at 1km are invisible or 1 flickering pixel large at most.

• Like 1

Very welcoming news, thanks a bunch as always. Wishing all are safe and well, kindest regards. :salute:

As usual, IL-2 by 1C-777 Rulezzzz !!!!

Thank you for the most enjoyable slots I have had at the home PC during the last week !!!!  Only 1C-777 !!!!

On 3/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, LizLemon said:

Sure dude.

Left = default scaling, middle = half, right = 1/4

2020_3_28__20_58_26.thumb.png.26ed835396ccaf213eb536186fbae1a5.png

And here is the relevant part of the shader

r1.x = cmp(MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE < r0.w);
 if (r1.x != 0) {
   r1.xyz = v0.xyz * r0.www;
   r1.xyz = r1.xyz / MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE;
  } else {
    r1.xyz = v0.xyz;
  }

Hire this man!

On 3/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

I did not include it in the 3dmigoto mod because I though that most of people will want to keep the superlight in multiplayer, as for the tracer. But it could be an option for next version if some request it.

(squirming in chair, arm stretched overhead, waving hand hoping the teacher will acknowledge) Me...me...me...I want that!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Jason said this patch would be before the end of the month. Do you think there's a chance we'll get it tonight/tomorrow gents? 

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

32 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Jason said this patch would be before the end of the month. Do you think there's a chance we'll get it tonight/tomorrow gents? 

My crystal ball says it's happening today 😄 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

I'll take your word for it! Did you polish your crystal ball thoroughly before looking in it?

32 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

Lets hope so.  Otherwise I'll have to look at the enormous freakin' list of domestic chores my wife is compiling for me now we're confined to the house.:rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

I'll take your word for it! Did you polish your crystal ball thoroughly before looking in it?

Well I polish my balls DAILY and I'm still none the wiser!

:)

935652568_CrystalBall.thumb.jpg.c5432287ea78c0d3348864a6a87f7ae0.jpg

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

You'll have to read my comment in a week again :P

No problem in my opinion, I'd rather have it done right than done quick. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

Your crystal ball sucks 😄

As for the delay, i dont mind waiting for bit longer. Thanks for letting us know and i'm really happy to hear we get some engine damage model upgrade too!

• Upvote 1

Oh well, never mind, I'm sure we can all wait a bit longer  :)

I have been holding off starting new campaigns until the update turns up, so will keep busy playing other stuff till then!

On 3/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

I did not include it in the 3dmigoto mod because I though that most of people will want to keep the superlight in multiplayer, as for the tracer. But it could be an option for next version if some request it.

Please, I'd like to register here my request. For lights and tracers. And if feasible, to be able to configure the amount of scaling as an option  🙂

Sad but better done right than rushed! And i'm happy to hear about the engines. I was worried about it, but since they get a little bit tougher (atleast it sounds like this) i'm happy with this and wait for the full redone in the future 😄

Happy with the delay if it means we'll get an even better damage model out of it! Keep up the good work! 

1 hour ago, AnPetrovich said:

Hi guys!

I have good news and bad news.

The bad news: the update is delayed again, at least for a week. When I joked about the “two weeks” in the Developers Diaries, I was sincerely sure that we would release this update really in two weeks, we were already debugging. I would never write this joke otherwise. However, the meme about the "two weeks" apparently played its magical role. During debugging several new events occurred. And we had to postpone the update in order to test everything well and make sure that everything will work as planned. Testers do a great job, we get significant feedback from them. Please, be patient. We are working very hard to give you this update as soon as possible.

But there are good news. In update 4.005 you will get even more than we originally planned. Given the new information discovered by our partner "Digital Forms" (many thanks to them!) who is working on the project "Tank Crew", we significantly improved the methodology of calculating the fragmentation and high-explosive impact of explosions. Over the past week, Daniel has done great fundamental job here. He wrote about it in DD. Also, according to the results of testing the airframe DM, we realized that the engines DM must also be improved. Initially, we planned to improve engines DM, as well as systems DM not this time, but later. However, tests showed that against the background of a more realistic airframe DM, “glass” engines turned out to be a weak spot. Therefore, last week the engines DM were also significantly improved. This is not a "dream DM", but we did a significant step in that direction. Now this DM is on the test, and first results show that we are on the right track.

Given all these new events, it's hard to tell when the update will become available. We are debugging. Each time there is a hope that the "release candidate" of this update will turn into the status of "release". But yesterday the update was postponed again. It woun't come out in March for sure. We really hope for the next week.

Sincerely,
Your IL-2 Sturmovik team.

Thanks for the info! Honestly a little delay to deal with bugs and get improvements to the engine damage model is well worth it anyway.

Agh, I was really looking forward to this but loving the transparency and we'll end up with more than expected. Nice comms AP; we can wait, and also "can't wait". :salute:

1 hour ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

Your crystal ball sucks 😄

He‘s a week ahead 😅

Thank you for the update. Take your time and thanks for your hard work.

Bad news about delay. 

Awesome to hear about the extended update on DMs! Really making this next update one to anticipate!

2 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

Given all these new events, it's hard to tell when the update will become available. We are debugging. 

Take your time. We all know something great will be coming. And we will be one week closer to the YAK-9 release 😉

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.......... a short delay is well worth it to release a better update. Cheers.

2 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

Hi guys!

The bad news: the update is delayed again, at least for a week. When I joked about the “two weeks” in the Developers Diaries, I was sincerely sure that we would release this update really in two weeks, we were already debugging. I would never write this joke otherwise. However, the meme about the "two weeks" apparently played its magical role. During debugging several new events occurred. And we had to postpone the update in order to test everything well and make sure that everything will work as planned. Testers do a great job, we get significant feedback from them. Please, be patient. We are working very hard to give you this update as soon as possible.

But there are good news. In update 4.005 you will get even more than we originally planned. Given the new information discovered by our partner "Digital Forms" (many thanks to them!) who is working on the project "Tank Crew", we significantly improved the methodology of calculating the fragmentation and high-explosive impact of explosions. Over the past week, Daniel has done great fundamental job here. He wrote about it in DD. Also, according to the results of testing the airframe DM, we realized that the engines DM must also be improved. Initially, we planned to improve engines DM, as well as systems DM not this time, but later. However, tests showed that against the background of a more realistic airframe DM, “glass” engines turned out to be a weak spot. Therefore, last week the engines DM were also significantly improved. This is not a "dream DM", but we did a significant step in that direction. Now this DM is on the test, and first results show that we are on the right track.

Given all these new events, it's hard to tell when the update will become available. We are debugging. Each time there is a hope that the "release candidate" of this update will turn into the status of "release". But yesterday the update was postponed again. It woun't come out in March for sure. We really hope for the next week.

Sincerely,

Thx for your honesty Petrovich.

3 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

Hi guys!

But there are good news. In update 4.005 you will get even more than we originally planned. Given the new information discovered by our partner "Digital Forms" (many thanks to them!) who is working on the project "Tank Crew", we significantly improved the methodology of calculating the fragmentation and high-explosive impact of explosions. Over the past week, Daniel has done great fundamental job here. He wrote about it in DD. Also, according to the results of testing the airframe DM, we realized that the engines DM must also be improved. Initially, we planned to improve engines DM, as well as systems DM not this time, but later. However, tests showed that against the background of a more realistic airframe DM, “glass” engines turned out to be a weak spot. Therefore, last week the engines DM were also significantly improved. This is still not a "dream DM", but we did a significant step in that direction. Now this DM is on the test, and first results show that we are on the right track.

Sincerely,

No problem if we have to wait 1-2-3 weeks...you are doing a great job..

Do your best..!!!

Many thanks

Regards

4 hours ago, AnPetrovich said:

The bad news: the update is delayed again, at least for a week.

Hmm, is in Russia already april, 1st?;)

• Haha 5

Nothing is quite as constant as the creation of bugs during debugging. It's just a fact of software development that can't be helped. 😉

Dear devs, I really don´t care about the new update taking a while longer, I´m in this game for the long run.

What I DO appreciate is your honesty and communication of this issue. More of that please!

The more infos we get about development, the better, even if the infos themselves aren´t cause for celebration.

Transparency makes us able to understand your decisions better, even if we dislike them.

So, thank you a lot for your honesty and openness.  

• Upvote 2

On the plus side, seems I chose a good time to finally get familiar with the P-47.

With the airframe DM and engine DM getting toughened up, the P47 should now be a 'tuff mutha'.

Just have to learn not to bend it out of shape on landing.

2020-3-29-21-23-42.jpg

• Haha 3

Yeah. I just have to say I appreciate the quality of the work you devs do.
I can wait, I had enough of broken updates by that other game. Enough about overlooking essential bugs. I simply can not deal with two 

installs the same way.
Getting a better dm is worth waiting for long time. Love you guys 

Yeah, k. Keep yourselves and your loved ones safe.:megaphone:

The decision to hold off till engine DM was incorporated to an extent along with the other ammo / DM is a wise one.  For me some of the aircraft tail and wing sub structures and radial engines were a bit  precious.

Most likely though, it will mean a rethinking about ones approach to bagging kills but this is to be expected when systems become more highly modeled in a simulation.  No more and no less compared to when they introduced (for the better) Pilot Physiology. The drive for constant improvement across the board with this product is great and greatly appreciated.👍

Now, I'm holed up indoors watching snow falling down outside - ah Spring, when Winter doesn't want to let go.

• Upvote 1

There's nothing more worrisome in the software release world than going through your initial testing and not finding anything wrong.  All it means is that you failed to identify an issue that will certainly bite you right after release.

Thanks for the delay and for looking out for us.