Han

Developer Diary 246 - Discussion

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

It's multiple textures. 4 x 2k and 2 x 1k. Not simply one 2K texture.

Jason

Any plans to rise que cockpit texture quality any time soon? Thanks in advance

• Confused 1

I'm really looking forward to the DM and explosive calculation updates - but I have to be honest, it's going to make me an even less effective pilot! I mean, I have to drop bombs close to tanks now?? Unrealistic expectations, tbh.

Apologies in advance to whoever's on my team in MP, rest assured I am having fun even if I'm not accomplishing anything.

10 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

No.

Jason

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4
  • Upvote 3

Very nice features are comming our way. Great to be part of it! Your transparency and imformative attitude is also great! I really appreciate.

Im wondering will the new rendering system be helpful in spotting other planes near you. I mean there are some situations like shadowed ground, forests, hazy sky and some more where planes are almost invisible at 1km from you if sun is not falling on them directly. 

Damn, that Yak 9 cockpit contends with the Dora 9 and the Tempest for the best looking Cockpit in the game.

I know this is unlikely to be anywhere near term, but has the team considered increasing cockpit fidelity in older planes to the same level as these two? 

I don´t know what exactly it is, but these three cockpits blow older cockpits and those that are based on them (as far as I can tell both Spitfires and all the 109s) out of the water.

Would you be able to qualify what exactly makes the difference between these older and newer models? 

Super impressive. IL-2 runs great in VR as it is and even more renderer improvements on the way along with other interesting improvements, sounds great. This sim has really come a long way from a few years ago and looks to be really taking off - very glad I came back and checked it out again.

I so wish that was true...

Nice update again. Looks like I will have to add the Yak-9 to my Hurricane very soon.

1 hour ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Damn, that Yak 9 cockpit contends with the Dora 9 and the Tempest for the best looking Cockpit in the game.

I know this is unlikely to be anywhere near term, but has the team considered increasing cockpit fidelity in older planes to the same level as these two? 

I don´t know what exactly it is, but these three cockpits blow older cockpits and those that are based on them (as far as I can tell both Spitfires and all the 109s) out of the water.

Would you be able to qualify what exactly makes the difference between these older and newer models? 

Jason's answer just above your post ^^^

38 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Jason's answer just above your post ^^^

Which referred to a question about upping cockpit textures from 2K to 4K, which my question explicitly was not about.

I asked whether the quality of older cockpits would be upped to match the newer cockpits in quality, which wouldn´t change the texture size from 2K.

Context and details are important😉  

Posted (edited)

A new update for the near future...the 4.005! Great! Keep your health and the good news coming, thanks. :salute:

Edited by senseispcc
correction

45 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Which referred to a question about upping cockpit textures from 2K to 4K, which my question explicitly was not about.

I asked whether the quality of older cockpits would be upped to match the newer cockpits in quality, which wouldn´t change the texture size from 2K.

The team does seem to have gotten better at their art design on most new aircraft haven't they. I would doubt, given busy schedules, that they have time to go back and work on older types right now. Maybe eventually? I do have to say that even the LaGG-3, the first aircraft in the series, still holds up fairly well 7 or more years later. Yes the newest ones have improved but the old ones aren't so bad either. Not what you were asking about specifically but just wanted to say!

Separately, I did notice that the gunsight is a reflector type. It was an iron sight in the earlier developer screenshots. Frankly the ironsight surprised me but I was wondering if it might be a modification. And if so, did some Yak-9's come with an iron sight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Same answer. No.

But I put all the cockpit textures up in the Mods section many months ago. Have at it.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CountZero said:

No we r stuck in 43 for east, you can do it without La7s, Yak-3s, late war Yak-9s, P-39Qs, Tu-2s ... but its like making 109g6 and 190a5 fight Tempests and P-51s on west but you dont give them G14s K4s A8s D9s 262s and so on.

190A5 vs Tempests? 109G6 vs P51's?

Nothing like a challenge.

The Late Mid War VVS rides can hold their own, that's the current set we have, I've had them up against Spit IX's, G14's, P51's etc.

Yak 1b, Yak 7 and La5 fn.  Against AI, just some patience and lure the planes into your planes strengths whilst watching engine temps.  Just took 190A5 against some Tempests in QMB - again it was trying to get them on your tail, overshoot and then snap shooting them to land hits.  A bit of work but they went down. Pity we don't have sort of an A5/A8 in hybrid - boost of the A8 but weight and armament of the A5.

Late war VVS rides would be sweet though. What you mentioned and the Il10. 👍 Na Berlin/To Berlin

The work the Devs are doing is great and hearing of the render improvements for Spring - yes. Hopefully this will bring some stability with Modern Rendering Tech like DLSS 2 or Variable Rate Shading or Foreated Rendering.

Edited by blitze
double post

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Separately, I did notice that the gunsight is a reflector type. It was an iron sight in the earlier developer screenshots. Frankly the ironsight surprised me but I was wondering if it might be a modification. And if so, did some Yak-9's come with an iron sight.

From the discussions I saw in the Russian forums, the iron sight was an alternate to the reflector sight - in fact, you see both in the screenshots today. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, blitze said:

Pity we don't have sort of an A5/A8 in hybrid - boost of the A8 but weight and armament of the A5.

The A6 which will come with BoN maybe will be what you are looking for.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

New important renderer improvements....sounds good!

Can't wait to hear more about it :)

This^^^

I hope it won't have hit on game performance, my VR wouldn't like it!

I think it will largely depend on how much they can implement it as parallel functions. 

Right now because Il-2 is only lightly threaded it ends up leaving a lot of performance on the table. I'm hoping they're able to work more towards a higher limiting threat count as they add in new functions like the new damage mechanics. 

And yes, I am *very* looking forward to this update :)

Edited by Voyager
Autocorrect for the win...

1 hour ago, blitze said:

190A5 vs Tempests? 109G6 vs P51's?

Nothing like a challenge.

The Late Mid War VVS rides can hold their own, that's the current set we have, I've had them up against Spit IX's, G14's, P51's etc.

Yak 1b, Yak 7 and La5 fn.  Against AI, just some patience and lure the planes into your planes strengths whilst watching engine temps.  Just took 190A5 against some Tempests in QMB - again it was trying to get them on your tail, overshoot and then snap shooting them to land hits.  A bit of work but they went down. Pity we don't have sort of an A5/A8 in hybrid - boost of the A8 but weight and armament of the A5.

Late war VVS rides would be sweet though. What you mentioned and the Il10. 👍 Na Berlin/To Berlin

The work the Devs are doing is great and hearing of the render improvements for Spring - yes. Hopefully this will bring some stability with Modern Rendering Tech like DLSS 2 or Variable Rate Shading or Foreated Rendering.

We have Kuban and yak-1b or La5FN for years now, and no one bather to do east front 44-45 with them, coming of earlyest yak-9 changes nothing, its performance is not so differant then yaks we have and not better then la5fn, so nothing stops making late war east front missions now. No need to wait for Yak-9 if thats what ppl wont, it wont change a thing... im waiting for Yak-9T, just Yak-9 is skipable when i have Yak-1b.

Damage model is one of my top gripes right under spotting. Excited to see these changes comming! Thanks

• Upvote 1

thanks devs :good: many good things here. ;)

7 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

6 hours ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

I actually wasn't being snippy with you at the time. The cockpit's have good architctual/layout fidelity already so I assumed you meant bringing them up to 4k. But I think Jason has, again, cleared up any question you may have had.

Fantastic dedication to the project even in these crazy days.

Will the new damage calculations have any appreciable impact (positive or negative) on overall performance in single player / AI games do you think? As a VR user I need all the performance I can get 😉

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CountZero said:

We have Kuban and yak-1b or La5FN for years now, and no one bather to do east front 44-45 with them, coming of earlyest yak-9 changes nothing, its performance is not so differant then yaks we have and not better then la5fn, so nothing stops making late war east front missions now. No need to wait for Yak-9 if thats what ppl wont, it wont change a thing... im waiting for Yak-9T, just Yak-9 is skipable when i have Yak-1b.

With the adition of the normandy A6 and G6As we can have a good mid 44 scenario against Yaks 9s and La5 Fns. The late russian plane I look foward is the Yak3. Las were good but I sitill dont feel good on this plane compared with yaks. Maybe because I dont like the armament. I Hate P39s as well because of the armament 

Edited by E69_geramos109

2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I actually wasn't being snippy with you at the time. The cockpit's have good architctual/layout fidelity already so I assumed you meant bringing them up to 4k. But I think Jason has, again, cleared up any question you may have had.

It's hard to go back at il2 when you fly the fw190 A8, God damn it I was impressed with the feel of the plane, graphics, sound. If every plane on il2 could maintain that level of detail this game will be a master piece

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BazzaLB said:

Fantastic dedication to the project even in these crazy days.

Will the new damage calculations have any appreciable impact (positive or negative) on overall performance in single player / AI games do you think? As a VR user I need all the performance I can get 😉

13 hours ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

New features have not any hit on game performance. IL2 is running very smoothly 😉

From tester^^^ 😉

Also new rendering improvements should help as there was discussion not long ago, about how it may improve performance.

• Thanks 1

All sounding great, very excited for 4.005!

16 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

It has been stated, on multiple occasions, that this problem is related to the engine design and NOT easily fixable. New rendering might be able to fix this in the future.

Sorry for that. I missed this information. Okay then let's hope we get a new engine one day 🙂 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

It's hard to go back at il2 when you fly the fw190 A8, God damn it I was impressed with the feel of the plane, graphics, sound. If every plane on il2 could maintain that level of detail this game will be a master piece

I assume you're talking about that other sim ;) There is a reason why we have 59 aircraft here and the other one has less than 1/4th of that. There are always going to be trade-offs. IL-2 does great at punching above its weight and providing in my estimation 90-95% of the same experience but with far more depth and variety of content. That confers plenty of benefits too.

• Upvote 3

OK the screenshots worked.  Just pre-ordered the Yak-9T.

Only if to help out the devs in these challenging times. 

:salute:

Took a closer look at the screenshots, I just noticed those two vents around the sight. Is that a heating system for the pilot?

With this new damage/fragmentation modelling, is there any change to the likelihood or removal of the pilot injury induced blackout effect?

On 3/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, 216th_Jordan said:

It has been stated, on multiple occasions, that this problem is related to the engine design and NOT easily fixable. New rendering might be able to fix this in the future.

I don't know why people say things like this. The issue with the lights is the same one as the tracers - a scaling effect is being applied to them that increases their size with camera distance. Fixing it is a single line shader change which is about as easy as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

I don't know why people say things like this. The issue with the lights is the same one as the tracers - a scaling effect is being applied to them that increases their size with camera distance. Fixing it is a single line shader change which is about as easy as it gets.

🙄 Developer for hire here.

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

🙄 Developer for hire here.

Sure dude.

Left = default scaling, middle = half, right = 1/4

2020_3_28__20_58_26.thumb.png.26ed835396ccaf213eb536186fbae1a5.png

And here is the relevant part of the shader

r1.x = cmp(MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE < r0.w);
 if (r1.x != 0) {
   r1.xyz = v0.xyz * r0.www;
   r1.xyz = r1.xyz / MAX_DISTANCE_SCALE;
  } else {
    r1.xyz = v0.xyz;
  }

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Sure dude.

if (r1.x != 0) {
  } else {
    r1.xyz = v0.xyz;
  }

Well, please accept my apologies then, you certainly did the homework. 

However there seems to be a reason for the devs that makes this change hard right now. I don't know, I have not taken a look, but this was what was communicated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LizLemon said:

Sure dude.

if (r1.x != 0) {
  } else {
    r1.xyz = v0.xyz;
  }

Oh is this avilable as a mod? - the huge blobs of nav lights on aircraft looks shocking in VR.

I did not include it in the 3dmigoto mod because I though that most of people will want to keep the superlight in multiplayer, as for the tracer. But it could be an option for next version if some request it.

• Like 2