jokerBR

Cannot disarm bombs on P38J?

Hi, the command to arm/disarm bombs isn't working on P38. I'm curious because I always take off with them disarmed on other attack/bomber planes, arming them only when near objective.

Is there a special key specific to P38 (couldn't find) or P38's didn't have such feature IRL?

Cheers

Posted (edited)

It's the same command used for every other plane. I've checked it, and it works just fine.

Edited by LukeFF

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It's the same command used for every other plane. I've checked it, and it works just fine.

Were any of them American?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Y'all disarming your bombs? In this economy?

If I drop by God something is blowing up, I don't care what it is.

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

If I drop by God something is blowing up, I don't care what it is.

That'll make you (in)famous on some tactical servers, when something goes wrong on take-off.

Happened to me, back when VoW was a thing in the original IL-2.

I since changed name and address :ph34r:

• Haha 2

forgive my ignorance, I have a very silly question:  why do you need to arm/disarm bombs in IL2?  Is it just for the immersion factor you're doing it.. or there's an actual technical dependency (which I haven't observed) ?

Well, did a rebind of my keys and voilá, everything is fine again. 

29 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

forgive my ignorance, I have a very silly question:  why do you need to arm/disarm bombs in IL2?  Is it just for the immersion factor you're doing it.. or there's an actual technical dependency (which I haven't observed) ?

Count_de_Money, I disarm them during taking off and arm them when entering enemy airspace only. This way, if something goes wrong - i.e., someone crosses my way during takeoff because they are in a hurry to get airborne and, you know, "runways are for sissies", or if I need to drop them because the airfield is being bounced by an enemy right at "that moment" -  I will not dig a hole in my own house, specially if we are taking off in formation.

🙂

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Well, did a rebind of my keys and voilá, everything is fine again. 

Count_de_Money, I disarm them during taking off and arm them when entering enemy airspace only. This way, if something goes wrong - i.e., someone crosses my way during takeoff because they are in a hurry to get airborne and, you know, "runways are for sissies", or if I need to drop them because the airfield is being bounced by an enemy right at "that moment" -  I will not dig a hole in my own house, specially if we are taking off in formation.

🙂

cool.. you're following the proper safety protocol.. 😄    I actually wish that the devs would make it a required procedure for all bombers that are equipped with the arming/disarming capabilities.  But alas, I digress.. for I am one of those 'gonna take off from my parking spot' .. 50% of the time 😄

• Haha 1

I would love a working master arm switch when applicable. 

Should be relatively easy to build.

• Upvote 1

If you're flying MP in a fighter-bomber like P-38, it's a fairly necessary practice to disarm bombs. You don't want to give yourself away by exploding ordinance if you encounter enemies on the way and decide to engage.

Or just make a bad gamble like me and decide to engage and keep your bombs...

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I would love a working master arm switch when applicable. 

Should be relatively easy to build.

It is! 😃

IMG_20200326_165738105.jpg

• Upvote 1

I guess the idea of a Master-Arm-Switch is to connect/disconnect all the armament circuits, i.e. for bombs, guns, rockets, potatoes, ice cream vans or whatever you want to throw at the enemy in one single action. In order to use a weapon group, both Master arm switch and for example the bomb release button would have to be selected. So you don't blow your leader to smithereens when you accidently sneeze on take off. Cheers.😉

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

I guess the idea of a Master-Arm-Switch is to connect/disconnect all the armament circuits, i.e. for bombs, guns, rockets, potatoes, ice cream vans or whatever you want to throw at the enemy in one single action. In order to use a weapon group, both Master arm switch and for example the bomb release button would have to be selected. So you don't blow your leader to smithereens when you accidently sneeze on take off. Cheers.😉

I make regular bombing runs on enemy targets, but do they call me RedKestrel the Bomber? NO!
I dodge around flak and enemy fire all day, but do they call me RedKestrel the Dodger? NO!
But you blow up one flight leader...

• Haha 3

I was referring to a master arm switch for guns etc. in fighters and what not.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jade_Monkey said:

I was referring to a master arm switch for guns etc. in fighters and what not.

I know. I was just kidding. Would like one too, but I don't know if WWII fighters had one IRL?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jokerBR said:

I know. I was just kidding. Would like one too, but I don't know if WWII fighters had one IRL?

P51 had one, I'm assuming most Americans had one. I don't know about Soviet/German though. I would think so.

1 hour ago, jokerBR said:

It is! 😃

IMG_20200326_165738105.jpg

That "armed" switch looks like a persistent toggle switch. Constant on our off signal. IL2 doesn't support that route of input does it?

All of mine are momentary switches. Toggle up or down for on/off but spring return to neutral center.

I'd much prefer to be able to use persistent inputs like the ones in the picture. More accurate.

Posted (edited)

Yes, they are persistent 3-stages.
I use Joystick Gremlin to control my button box (which is way larger than the photo and with other analog levers/rotaries and switches as well, some of them not persistent, only two states, etc). 
JG allows you to use macros, where you can adjust everything (key sequences, how many repetitions, timing, hold, exclusive, wait-times, etc). 
For instance, that "Feather" feature that you see on the picture runs the following macro when activated (switch down):
1. select corresponding engine 

2. cut it off

3. wait 8 seconds (approx time game takes to cut it out and stop spinning) 

4. feather that propeller

You can create very complex things using JG. The feature I found very useful is the ability to activate different things not only on press, but also on release of a switch or button. Priceless. I use it to control my Warthog switches as well. Works like a charm.

Edited by jokerBR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It seems that the arm/disarm works as long as there are bombs loaded, but does not do anything if P-38 not armed (lights don't go on).

Posted (edited)

Two or three weeks ago on TAW server, I and my buddy were flying P-47 with bombs, on our way to the objective we have been engaged by 109s, so we dropped our bombs, random forest in the middle of nowhere.. We've almost killed a Spitfire flying low, back to the base. 😅

Edited by =LG=Mad_Mikhael
  • Haha 1