Remontti

Partially red map, crash soon after

Posted (edited)

I've been getting crashes on Bodenplatte map (Edit: both autumn and summer). Mainly on Combat Box server but I don't want to point finger to server. They just run the Bodenplatte map more than other servers I play on.

At some point after respawn my screen looks like this:

Boden-1.thumb.jpg.477b711ee93aab94d5913aa9446701ef.jpg

And in Hangar skins get messed up. They are placed wrong way, like British roundel might be on the cockpit or the skin is transparent. Or like this:

Boden-2.thumb.jpg.a7fdc6845a5506ae655567f71112a715.jpg

If keep playing after seeing red on map, the game will crash soon after. Some times there is a error message after the crash but last time just black screen. It has never occured on other maps (or other servers). There was no Crash dump. I try to include one if I get one next time.

Any ideas?

Edited by Remontti

That looks like a video card issue to me tbh. Any changes to drivers or overclocking lately?

Nvidia 2080s drivers were updated not long ago and it did not change anything. I find it strange that the issue comes only when respawning and choosing loadout. And only in Bodenplatte map. 

14 hours ago, Remontti said:

Nvidia 2080s drivers were updated not long ago and it did not change anything. I find it strange that the issue comes only when respawning and choosing loadout. And only in Bodenplatte map. 

Just looking at your signature it says you have a GTX 1080, so I'm assuming those specs aren't up to date and you have upgraded to the 2080S. Anything else changed on your system lately? Windows updates, new hardware, third party software? Also are you in VR?

I remember something like this showing up in another thread a long time ago and it ended up having something to do with the video card... I can't find the post though. Sorry I don't have more details.

You're right. The specs in signature are outdated. I've Rtx 2080Ti and using monitor. No other updates in hardware. And Windows 10? It has its own life and updates when it feels like it😁

In software I'm also running Opentrack and Simshaker.

Somehow the Bodenplatte maps have been buggy for me. With distant buildings setting on I was getting different crashes (reported those). I haven't had problems with single player. I mostly play MP so I need to test SP more to be certain.

Before Bodenplatte was released I don't remember having issues with crashing. And I mean since release of BoS.

I try clean install of IL-2 and Nvidia drivers for start.

15 minutes ago, Remontti said:

You're right. The specs in signature are outdated. I've Rtx 2080Ti and using monitor. No other updates in hardware. And Windows 10? It has its own life and updates when it feels like it😁

In software I'm also running Opentrack and Simshaker.

Somehow the Bodenplatte maps have been buggy for me. With distant buildings setting on I was getting different crashes (reported those). I haven't had problems with single player. I mostly play MP so I need to test SP more to be certain.

Before Bodenplatte was released I don't remember having issues with crashing. And I mean since release of BoS.

I try clean install of IL-2 and Nvidia drivers for start.

Yes, Bodenplatte's map seems to be the source of at least some issues. But your rig is a beast and should be able to handle it. A 2080TI is basically as good as it gets for video cards now.

Reinstalling and a driver clean out is probably for the best, at least to rule out some things.

Is there a dustbuildup so you have heatissues?

11 hours ago, FlyingH said:

Is there a dustbuildup so you have heatissues?

No. I clean it regulary and no heat issues so far.

Yesterday Combat Box was running Moscow map which I played 2-3 hours without problems.

I'll post again when I've had opportunity to play a Bodenplatte scenario and we'll see if reinstalling game & drivers helped.

Posted (edited)

Still getting the glitch after reinstalling the game and drivers.

I noticed that graphics card temperature were peaking 83 C which seems a bit high. Maybe a temperature problem after all. The fans (3) are working fine and no dust there.

I adjusted the fan curves to go 100% earlier and power control. I'll monitor the temperatures and see how it goes. 

EDIT:

Two error windows last time it crashed. I couldn't take screenshot of them.

One was:

DRD_ERROR

DXRenderer11 endFrame(..)

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (0x887a0005)

And the other was

IL-2.exe error (or application error, my Windows is Finnish so don't know how this is in English Windows)

I think it said something about memory and 

0x00007FFF3D5F16E9

0x0000000002236C

Edited by Remontti

15 hours ago, Remontti said:

Still getting the glitch after reinstalling the game and drivers.

I noticed that graphics card temperature were peaking 83 C which seems a bit high. Maybe a temperature problem after all. The fans (3) are working fine and no dust there.

I adjusted the fan curves to go 100% earlier and power control. I'll monitor the temperatures and see how it goes. 

EDIT:

Two error windows last time it crashed. I couldn't take screenshot of them.

One was:

DRD_ERROR

DXRenderer11 endFrame(..)

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (0x887a0005)

And the other was

IL-2.exe error (or application error, my Windows is Finnish so don't know how this is in English Windows)

I think it said something about memory and 

0x00007FFF3D5F16E9

0x0000000002236C

That DXGL Error Device Removed is an error code I have seen others have when overclocking their video card. It may be temperature related, I don't konw. Is your RTX 2080TI running at stock clock speeds, or factory overclocked, or are you overclocking it at all?

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

That DXGL Error Device Removed is an error code I have seen others have when overclocking their video card. It may be temperature related, I don't konw. Is your RTX 2080TI running at stock clock speeds, or factory overclocked, or are you overclocking it at all?

I haven't done any overclocking to the card myself. There might be factory overclocking but I'm not sure.

I'm not familiar with graphics card overclocking. If I would try to downclock the card how much should I lower it (in %)?

1 minute ago, Remontti said:

I haven't done any overclocking to the card myself. There might be factory overclocking but I'm not sure.

I'm not familiar with graphics card overclocking. If I would try to downclock the card how much should I lower it (in %)?

Honestly, no idea. I've just followed other threads where people have had that same error and sometimes it occured from their video card overclocking and/or overheating. A 2080TI is a really powerful card and maybe its' throwing more heat than it can really deal with in that setup? Bodenplatte is a much more graphics intensive map IMO so it could be that only that situation is stressing it enough to trigger the error. Maybe you could try running a program like MSI Afterburner while playing so you can get a log of the card usage and temps. Maybe something spikes the card usage during a respawn, or its just coincidence that after running hard for a sortie the heat causes issues. Or its a game bug. It's really hard to say.

I'm a relative noob with video cards. I just purchased an MSI GTX 1660 Super that is overclocked from the factory, so that when it enters boosted or gaming mode it's got slightly higher clock speeds - like only 30 mhz more, it't not a huge difference, I'm pretty sure its just to give them the ability to charge a little more for a similar card. From my reading it's basically just that the third party manufacturers get a stock card from Nvidia and then overclock it slightly to a stable position and add better cooling.

I haven't even installed it yet, I'm waiting for the weekend so I have time to test it out and fix things if something goes wrong. Frankly the onboard memory increase was what I was looking for, my GTX 1060 only has 3 GB and its mostly maxed out memory wise, even though the card itself has processing headroom.

Posted (edited)

You mentioned 83 degrees, seems pretty high, ... i have the same card, how did you measure temp?

I cannot find it n NVDIA Control Panel .. Mybe post your findings with NVDIA tech support or on the forum there, they seem to be pretty supportive.

Edited by jollyjack

9 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

You mentioned 83 degrees, seems pretty high, ... i have the same card, how did you measure temp?

I had HWMonitor program running in background. It monitors cpu, motherboard gfx card temperatures.

I installed Gainwards (it's a Gainward card) program for adjusting fan speeds. Noticed that fans go 100% at 83C. Now they go 100% earlier

Posted (edited)

How old is the card? Might be a cooling problem. Fans can be problemous, and dust might throw of the balance and slow them down.

Downloaded HWmonitor, mine runs at 42 degrees C ..

HWmonitor NVIDIA.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

If its a 2080TI, it can't be that old...they were only available last fall right?

27 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

If its a 2080TI, it can't be that old...they were only available last fall right?

Right. This Bodenplatte issue is the only one I'm having. I don't remember having issues in SP, only in MP. No issues with other games even if the card is stressed.

49 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

How old is the card? Might be a cooling problem. Fans can be problemous, and dust might throw of the balance and slow them down.

Downloaded HWmonitor, mine runs at 42 degrees C ..

HWmonitor NVIDIA.jpg

Is this idle temperature? My idle temperatures were around 37-40C too.

Yesterday I set Power management to optimal instead of performance in Nvidia control panel. Also tweaked the fans to go 100% earlier. I played one sp Bodenplatte campaign mission and highest temperature was 70C.

I'm at work now so I can make further tests after couple of days.

19 minutes ago, Remontti said:

Right. This Bodenplatte issue is the only one I'm having. I don't remember having issues in SP, only in MP. No issues with other games even if the card is stressed.

Is this idle temperature? My idle temperatures were around 37-40C too.

Yesterday I set Power management to optimal instead of performance in Nvidia control panel. Also tweaked the fans to go 100% earlier. I played one sp Bodenplatte campaign mission and highest temperature was 70C.

I'm at work now so I can make further tests after couple of days.

Let us know. Then maybe it might be worth trying to put power back to performance but leaving fans on 100% earlier. Its possible the card was getting too hot before the fans kicked in so they had a harder time keeping it cool. Looking online, the 2080TI has a thermal limit of 89 degrees celsius, so you weren't there yet but its possible it was hot enough to cause issues even if technically the card should still function.

42 C was idling looking through my windows only. Well Firefox and IL2 forum's bug report page actually.

Posted (edited)

I had the same problem with the same symptoms. This is because the paging file is small. For this map, the file size must be at least 16GB. It is better to enable the option, that the size of paging file regulates by Windows automatically. All of that in Control Panel - > System.

Edited by ivanovax
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, RedKestrel said:

That looks like a video card issue to me tbh. Any changes to drivers or overclocking lately?

I have the exact same problem as the OP, but it is the same with a brand new GTX1660 as with the RX460 I changed from - crashes only on Bodenplatte map and these weird graphics and red map that culminates in a DX3D error or just a full crash or CTD. Therefore I do not believe it is a overheating or VGA issue. Have even reinstalled windows on the machine to no avail. 

Only on Rheinland map - all other maps I can play all day long without hiccup.

Hopefully OP can get to the bottom of the prob!

6 hours ago, ivanovax said:

I had the same problem with the same symptoms. This is because the paging file is small. For this map, the file size must be at least 16GB. It is better to enable the option, that the size of paging file regulates by Windows automatically. All of that in Control Panel - > System.

Interesting. I play this game with 4GB RAM and have no problems whatsoever on all maps but Rheinland map. Does this mean we need over 16GB RAM to play this particular map without problem?

Regards

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

Sigh…. After lowering GPU and memory clock speeds I still got the partially red map after 20 minute flight in Combat Box. Highest temperature was 66C so I think we can rule out overheating.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, ivanovax said:

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll try that next

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, ivanovax said:

So far so good. Three nights without the issue. This seems to have fixed it. Thanks ivanovax! 😀

• Upvote 1