Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello

I have bought IL2 bos recently and I don't understand why I have big performance issues in career mod: In a quick mission I'm running the game at about 40 fps but in career mode I'm more at 15 fps

I play on an acer aspire with 8 GB of RAM and a radeon vega graphic card

Does someone know why

Thank yoi

*Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MLSK said:

Hello

I have bought IL2 bos recently and I don't understand why I have big performance issues in career mod: In a quick mission I'm running the game at about 40 fps but in career mode I'm more at 15 fps

I play on an acer aspire with 8 GB of RAM and a radeon vega graphic card

Does someone know why

Thank yoi

*Thank you

 

Hi,

 

can you please specify what CPU you are using and what Radeon Vega GPU exactly?

Btw. 8 GB RAM is some kind of week. Some maps will almost eat those 8 GB, especially

when there is a lot going on on them.

 

Career mode is quite heavy too, especially when you have chosen  a high density of

actions. See here:

 

1958729180_Careeroptions.thumb.jpg.bd51eab865d3294f92ced49b0a29a230.jpg

 

And maybe you can add a screenshot of your current game graphic settings? This also will help us to find possible issues.

 

Cheerio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Therion posted, much will depend on your CPU and video card specifics, and the settings you are trying to get. If you are not getting acceptable performance then the best thing to do would be to crank down most of the settings as low as you can go, and then testing to see if it makes a noticeable difference on career mode. 

I have 8GB of RAM on my machine and it is a definite bottleneck, especially on the Bodenplatte map, and especially as I have a low-memory video card with only 3GB of memory. If your video card runs out of memory for textures and rendering my understanding is it will start using system RAM, which is much slower, for the required memory. This eats into your RAM for other purposes and slows down your video card as it is now limited to the speed of your system RAM.

In a quick mission there is really not a lot going on, they always run smoother than regular missions unless you seriously load them up with bombers, ground targets, and AA. A career mode mission has a lot of logic and AI decision making going on in the background.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx CPU and an AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics GPU

Also here are my graphics settings

 

1900545673_2020-03-25(6).thumb.png.22623742a49e3dfdecbd3c7e35f81bcd.png

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MLSK said:

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx CPU and an AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics GPU

Also here are my graphics settings

 

1900545673_2020-03-25(6).thumb.png.22623742a49e3dfdecbd3c7e35f81bcd.png

  

 

 

OK - your CPU doesn't seem to be too weak. Your graphic card isn't that bad either, I'd say mid-range?

 

As for your settings, Monsieur, no no no! This isn't going to work flawlessly with your 8 GB RAM and system.

 

1575514061_SettingsMLSK_LI.jpg.fecf0d4a1a4b35c0de04e0322a6f4678.jpg

 

 

RED CROSS = Not good, these are performance killers par excellence!

 

Change landscape distance to normal.

Change Grass to normal - this is a flight simulator and not lawn mower simulator!

Uncheck SSAO and HDR

Uncheck Distant buildings - too heavy load.

 

With this, you might even raise your Antialiasing setting from OFF to 2 or maybe even 4. First try with 2 and see.

You may also consider changing the Landscape filter from OFF to BLURRED because it hasn't much impact on

your performance. OK?

 

If you have any further questions, I'm listening... (aussi en Français bien sûr)

 

Cheerio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MLSK said:

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx CPU and an AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics GPU

Also here are my graphics settings

 

1900545673_2020-03-25(6).thumb.png.22623742a49e3dfdecbd3c7e35f81bcd.png

  

 

What Therion said above applies,I would also say that dialing back the landscape draw distance to 70 km will get you some more frames too. You could also experiment with moving clouds to Low, though I'm not sure that will net you much performance. 

The Use 4k Textures checkbox has always been a bit problematic...in previous patches the recommendation was to leave it on, even when not in 4k. Some people notice big improvements  in performance with it on or off. You may want to test how it performs on your system with it off.

There is also a terrain draw distance in another menu, outside the graphics settings, in the general settings. I found that dialing that back helped reduce some stutters on my end.

The Low preset controls the distance at which buildings and forests and other landscape features render, so setting the game to low and checking distant buildings is counterproductive. Distant Buildings is for people with excellent rigs who have the GPU capacity to render all that extra stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

There is also a terrain draw distance in another menu, outside the graphics settings, in the general settings. I found that dialing that back helped reduce some stutters on my end.

 

True, this sets the rendering distance of the action area, especially useful when flying single player campaigns / scripted campaigns.

 

34 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

The Low preset controls the distance at which buildings and forests and other landscape features render, so setting the game to low and checking distant buildings is counterproductive. Distant Buildings is for people with excellent rigs who have the GPU capacity to render all that extra stuff. 

 

Like I said: Distant Buildings IS a performance killer.

 

@MLSK: Try the settings I'm suggesting - maybe you can even change the presets from LOW to BALANCED. With these settings the game will look surprisingly good.

 

Good luck.

 

Cheerio

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for all of your pieces of advice, the game is now running and looking better, but do you think having a 16 GB RAM will solve all of my problems ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MLSK said:

Thank you very much for all of your pieces of advice, the game is now running and looking better, but do you think having a 16 GB RAM will solve all of my problems ?


Getting up to 16GB will solve your memory problems - right now it might be a bottleneck for you, where your video card and your processor can't live up to their full potential because they don't have enough memory. Once you have enough memory, you will still be limited by your processor and video card (GPU). More RAM can't make them run faster than their potential.

Looking at your system, the processor is actually pretty good as long as it can run at max. Heat is a consideration in laptops, and if the processor gets too hot it will probably throttle itself to a lower speed to avoid overheating. The graphics card seems to be the weak link - laptop integrated graphics usually are lower performance than desktops, just because of size limitations and cooling problems. Not to say its bad, just that it's likely the limiting factor.

With an integrated GPU then the RAM is probably more important than on a desktop machine, since usually those GPUs don't have their own memory and have to use the system RAM instead, which is usually slower. So good RAM is important IMO.

 

If you can, download a program like MSI Afterburner and run it while playing Il-2. You can set it up to show you how much computer resources you are using in real time, including memory, processor, and GPU. If your memory is topping out but your GPU and CPU don't seem to be getting hit as hard, then you know a memory improvement will do you good.

But if your memory doesn't get close to full usage, but your GPU or CPU tops out first and you still have lot of unused memory, then you can tell that more memory isn't going to  help much, since your processor and video card are already at capacity, and more memory isn't necessarily going to solve that problem.

Upgrading a laptop is typically a little trickier and more expensive than a desktop  so you want to make sure its worth it before you buy something, and definitely make sure it's possible to do the upgrade you want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4K Textures  whats this do ..???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KoN_ said:

4K Textures  whats this do ..???

I think it tells the game to use 4k quality textures if you have a high enough resolution for it? Something seems screwy with that setting, as after the launch of Battle of Kuban or around there, it was recommended for everyone to turn it on to help eliminate microstuttering. Whereas after the launch of Bodenplatte, some people have better performance either with it on or with it off, and it doesn't seem to matter what resolution they play at.

Right now I have it off to get better performance, where previously I had to have it on to get better performance. I play at 1080p and I don't notice any difference in texture quality when its on or off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I think it tells the game to use 4k quality textures if you have a high enough resolution for it? Something seems screwy with that setting, as after the launch of Battle of Kuban or around there, it was recommended for everyone to turn it on to help eliminate microstuttering. Whereas after the launch of Bodenplatte, some people have better performance either with it on or with it off, and it doesn't seem to matter what resolution they play at.

Right now I have it off to get better performance, where previously I had to have it on to get better performance. I play at 1080p and I don't notice any difference in texture quality when its on or off.

I see im having issues at the moment in multiplayer servers and i get stutters when in on someones six . i have all set to ultra but i never used to get this sort of bug before im thinking the 4k textures is the cause . Going to test later today . 

I thought this setting was to be able too see 4K skins . ???

I play in 2560 x 1440 . 

Thank you for your reply 

Edited by KoN_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, KoN_ said:

I see im having issues at the moment in multiplayer servers and i get stutters when in on someones six . i have all set to ultra but i never used to get this sort of bug before im thinking the 4k textures is the cause . Going to test later today . 

Online stutters happen for me too, and more often when planes are in the area, though less often than before as the devs improved some texture loading issues. There's no harm in trying it out. 

You may also want to turn off custom skins in the game settings...there seems to be a bug that occurs when looking at other aircraft where their skins load in and out with the default skin. This loading/unloading may also cause stutters. I think turning off custom skins prevents this from happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Online stutters happen for me too, and more often when planes are in the area, though less often than before as the devs improved some texture loading issues. There's no harm in trying it out. 

You may also want to turn off custom skins in the game settings...there seems to be a bug that occurs when looking at other aircraft where their skins load in and out with the default skin. This loading/unloading may also cause stutters. I think turning off custom skins prevents this from happening.

Yes ive seen the skins pop in and out . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...