Jade_Monkey

Half Life Alyx (VR)

Anyone else trying it? It just came out today.

I'm still working from home so I've only run it for 4 min but the graphics are surreal. It makes you question wether you are using VR because it looks SO good unlike most games out there.

More to come.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

Does it function for non VR users too?

No, I believe it's a VR exclusive title.

I have played for over an hour now and I have to say it's absolutely amazing!

I am not a fan of Half Life (my computer sucked when both originals came out, so never played them). However the story line, the VR mechanics, the atmosphere, and graphical levels are really excellent so far.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I am not a fan of Half Life (my computer sucked when both originals came out, so never played them). However the story line, the VR mechanics, the atmosphere, and graphical levels are really excellent so far.

Same here, Best VR game I ever tried, maybe the best game I ever played.

Even if there are some little problems, the interactions with environment  are amazing. Graphics are wonderfull.

I played 1 hour and did only encoutered barnacles, so that need to be precised with combat gameplay but if you have VR helmet and controller this game must be tried.

I will definitely be grabbing this one today.

11 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

ok so that’s bought, now the wait for the download...

Posted (edited)

Here is the video of these moments :

Edited by RAY-EU

So many years waiting and we get only a VR game. 😐 Well, I'm going to watch it on YT, I guess.

9 minutes ago, =LG=Mad_Mikhael said:

So many years waiting and we get only a VR game. 😐 Well, I'm going to watch it on YT, I guess.

Welcome to the new world order...

;)

Looking like this one going to be one very huge success and really good for VR industry.

• Upvote 1

Loved all the HL games, played them all to death, and now this turns up as VR only... BAH!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

If it would be good as Lone Echo I'm in :)

From everything I am seeing I think Alyx will far surpass Lone Echo.

10 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Loved all the HL games, played them all to death, and now this turns up as VR only... BAH!

I played most of HL2 but after a while all of the dark gore got to me and I had to quit. This is probably more of the same which means I’d skip it anyway.

It was just the scientists walking around with huge Christmas turkeys on their heads that really took me out of it. 

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Those with index get it for free

Yes if you have a Valve index you already own the game

Posted (edited)

As a 65 year old, life long gamer, I am so thankful I lived long enough to play Half Life in VR. I thought Skyrim and Fallout 4 were amazing in VR, but HL Alyx takes the cake (Portal reference).

The interactive immersion with the Knuckles controllers, the detailed environmental artwork and the mind bending puzzles  make this a pinnacle gaming experience for me. I hope it doesnt take another 12 years for Valve or other game dev to release something spectacular, since Im pretty sure I will have left this mortal coil by then  ;)

Edited by Blasterlasvideo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I cannot take on a vr game like this. I have to carry my pc out of my cramped sim to do that. 
I want to have a life when not flying

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I cannot take on a vr game like this. I have to carry my pc out of my cramped sim to do that. 
I want to have a life when not flying

What if you just buy some extension cables for the VR headset?

On 3/26/2020 at 8:18 PM, unlikely_spider said:

What if you just buy some extension cables for the VR headset?

If doing that, be very carefully on which cables your buying not all USB cables are working as an extension.  But I have also to move my mancave, as I have the PC installed under the angled roof. 

did read some reviews from my country and they are all rated as very good and from I do read in the comments about the review, most VR set are sold out. So I do hope the AAA game studios do now notice the light in the VR darkness. 

This game is fantastic! I've never experienced terror from a video game, but this comes pretty damn close. Bravo, Valve, you set the standard for a AAA VR title.

I think it comes with the Valve Index hand controllers which I am informed today are on their way to me so I’ll give it a try.

3 hours ago, RedRider said:

This game is fantastic! I've never experienced terror from a video game, but this comes pretty damn close. Bravo, Valve, you set the standard for a AAA VR title.

I guess that depends on what you're after.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RedRider said:

This!

11 hours ago, RedRider said:

Terror is not the emotion I would willingly choose to experience in my free time.   I guess I’ll continue to wait for a topless female volleyball sim before dipping my toe into VR. 

• Upvote 1

I plan on picking it up and starting it this weekend.

Really looking forward to this one!

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Terror is not the emotion I would willingly choose to experience in my free time.   I guess I’ll continue to wait for a topless female volleyball sim before dipping my toe into VR. 

Sidebar:. I felt this way about the VR Exorcist Game.  While the thought of the setting would make a thrilling and scary game to a lot of folks, for me it looked a bit too well done.  The wussy side of me says "no, I'm good".  Lol.

7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Terror is not the emotion I would willingly choose to experience in my free time.  

Not to mention what this sort of imagery does to your psyche, whether one realizes it or not.

“stand guard at the portal of your mind”

• Upvote 1

Gambit it is just a game. I was deeply in some shit worlds, and situations in many books and movies. This is same. Just more beautiful :)

Maybe first time you feel it special, but later is normal.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:41 AM, Brzi_Joe said:

Maybe first time you feel it special, but later is normal.

Therein lies the rub.

• Upvote 1

Each to their own. I have the ability to differentiate between real violence and fictional. That said, I dont care for slasher  films but am enjoying the hell out of HLA.

• Upvote 1

I must say I am having a blast with HL Alyx.

Quite an incredible VR game, can certainly put one on the edge of their seat lol.

Well done by Valve.

surreal shooters, not really my thing, but the graphics of the demo videos are amazing ... IL2, where are you?

3 hours ago, jollyjack said:

surreal shooters, not really my thing, but the graphics of the demo videos are amazing ... IL2, where are you?

it’s fantastic, shooting is quite a minor part of it to be honest. 

Posted (edited)

Good game ,only  good because to short.

Not  terrifying but  can scare shit out of you for time to time and this is entertainment hehe 

Waiting for Lone echo 2

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:03 AM, jollyjack said:

A little down the pecking order in size and recourses 

The net worth of Valve is + $10, billion

What IL-2 team achieve with comparearative microscopic budget is rather impressive IMHO 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dakpilot said:

The net worth of Valve is + $10, billion        ... What IL-2 team achieve with comparearative microscopic budget is rather impressive IMHO  ...Cheers, Dakpilot 

You make me feel guilty NOT pre investing in TC and BON ..

On 4/3/2020 at 10:17 AM, JG51_Beazil said:

Sidebar:. I felt this way about the VR Exorcist Game.  While the thought of the setting would make a thrilling and scary game to a lot of folks, for me it looked a bit too well done.  The wussy side of me says "no, I'm good".  Lol.

I felt the same. I could only play the first chapter from VR Exorcist.

HLA is more about action and puzzles. I never felt scared in the HL games.

• Upvote 1

I am into Chapter 5 now, Half Life Alyx for me is without a doubt the best "made for VR" game I have ever owned.

It is stunning, gorgeous graphics along with a great storyline, some very scary moments and a bit of humor dribbled throughout.

Definitely keeps one on their toes and works the brain a good bit - which in my case is a good thing.

Valve have truly knocked it out of the park with this VR title.

Notice I said best "made for VR".  So taking nothing away from IL-2 GB.

IL-2 is still my main go to and best game overall for me by far. And the one game that gets the most played.

Just taking a little break for some different fun with Alyx.

I have the Index, so I suppose I should have also Alyx, but I have not Index controllers.  😭

I would give it a try just for fun and see the quality of the VR if I have the controllers.

I have also the Quest (still without the PC-link), but I am a bit lazy to but the link, put again all Oculus software in the PC and see if it works...

IL-2 VR is my only game. And I will not play if it will not be VR.