Jump to content
Guster

Which are your favourite matchups?

Recommended Posts

I play offline exclusively but make Dogfight missions with respawning planes to sort of emulate a perpetual air war environment. I want it to be equally fun and challenging flying for either side.

 

So far my fave fighter vs fighter matchups are:

 

Bf109G2 vs Yak1-69 (no mods)

Fw190A3 vs LA-5 (with engine upgrade for the LA-5)

Fw190A8 vs P-47 (no mods)

Bf109G14 vs P-51D (no mods)

 

War isn't fair and fighters can rarely compete on even terms, but you can play around with other factors in the mission, like targets, AAA and altitude, to get the rock-scissor-paper thing going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P39 vs fw190 A3/A5

I love the a3. And the p39 is the closest the red got that Let me play using the same mindset.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I-16 vs. Bf 109E7

 

P-38J vs. Bf 109G14

 

LaGG-3 vs. Bf 110G2

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lag-3/p40 vs mc202

spit v vs bf109f2

spit ix vs fw190a

bf109g6 vs p47

Tempest/stang vs d9

 

For myself I like taking a 110g vs p38s

Edited by Hajo_Garlic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ki61 vs. F6F

 

Oh...  Wait...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Ki61 vs. F6F"

 

I'll second that...  😀

Edited by TRRA15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Ki61 vs. F6F

 

Oh...  Wait...

 

BOTP released already? 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

109E vs I-16

 

Flying either side of that match up is a hell of a good time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of love for the Bf109E-7 vs I-16 scrap.

 

I'll have a go at that.

 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Ki61 vs. F6F

 

Oh...  Wait...

 

If your going down that route i raise you f4f vs a6m2-21...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dora versus the P-51 is both fairly balanced and endlessly enjoyable. I think they're two of the most evenly matched aircraft in the sim right now, but both have so much unique flavour...

 

As for what's not in the sim, Spit Ia vs the E-4, or the Sabre and MiG-15. Anything with tight performance margins gets the hair on the back of my neck up because I know losing is all my fault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

The i16 vs the 109 E7 is great fun.

 

This

2 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

 

If your going down that route i raise you f4f vs a6m2-21...

 

...and this. Especially this.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to "train" in a quick mission before flying a sortie in my career. My favorite quick mission setup is MiG-3 (2*BS) vs. "random axis plane" set as three consecutive spawns of 1 plane each, at "ace" difficulty. The challenge is to conserve ammo and avoid damage to down them all three, fun factor comes from the randomness of what gets spawned, although for some reason Bf-109F-4s, FW-190-As and He-111 seems more prevalent than other types - I have not met Me-262 or Macchi this way yet...

 

Sometimes I vary this by selecting either I-16 (fun) or Tempest (godlike) for myself.🙂

 

Unfortunately after a feel-good quick mission regularly comes a disappointing sortie in career (moderate difficulty), when I am unable to hit the enemy at all and I am glad if I make it back home more or less unharmed and with at least some of my flightmates left alive.😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Camel vs Me-262

 

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kurfürst VS U-2

 

In this matchup I at least stand a chance ;)

 

And joke aside: 

BF 109 F4 VS LaGG-3...a total classic for me since BoS was released. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Nothing beats SE5a vs DR1.

 

Night and day.

 

When it comes to canvas-clad petrol punk suicide machines, I very much enjoy leading posse of Nieuport 28s against a flock of Fokker D.VIIs. Even when I'm at a blatant advantage I don't feel safe at all.

 

12 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Dora versus the P-51 is both fairly balanced and endlessly enjoyable. I think they're two of the most evenly matched aircraft in the sim right now, but both have so much unique flavour...

 

In my experience the AI tends to bleed way too much energy in the Dora. How do you set up fuel loads and altitude for the fight?

 

To me it's like the AI handles the A-series differently. The first time I set up a skirmish with 4 P-47s vs 4 Fw190A8s, I literally had no idea what was going on. I had 20mm Rheinmetall plus change incoming from everywhere, which gave me a chance to enjoy the rather lovely damage modelling of the 47. Very nice energy management by the AI.

 

It took me a while to figure out how to handle the RPM and supercharger and fly more conservatively and still be aggressive. Very satisfying once you finally manage to point all those .50 cals the right way.

Edited by Guster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mig3 vs 109f2. Some of the closest and longest online fights i‘ve had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mig 15 vs F86 Sabre.

 

Ok now in all seriousness...

 

ME262 vs Tempest

 

The tempest is the only plane that can give the 262 a difficult time (playing against AI I mean).

 

Bonus:

A3 vs Yak7 (in historical? But I like it)

F4 against whatever

G2 against whatever

G4 against whatever

E7 vs Tempest (very funny!)

 

Mig3 vs 109s and 190s

 

As you can see, I play mostly German side. But... the Mig is the funniest and greatest plane to fly, be Axis or Allied side, the Mig is beautiful to fly.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guster said:

In my experience the AI tends to bleed way too much energy in the Dora. How do you set up fuel loads and altitude for the fight?

 

Oh I meant between two players. The AI make rather coarse and non-predictive maneuvers so they are not great at exploiting aircraft like the Dora, require a lot of aggressive flying to get the most out of them

 

Against the AI you are best off giving them something like a 109F-4 or Spitfire? Something with good acceleration so the AI can recover and not get stuck in helpless gentle turns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 6:01 AM, Guster said:

I play offline exclusively but make Dogfight missions with respawning planes to sort of emulate a perpetual air war environment. I want it to be equally fun and challenging flying for either side.

 

So far my fave fighter vs fighter matchups are:

 

Bf109G2 vs Yak1-69 (no mods)

Fw190A3 vs LA-5 (with engine upgrade for the LA-5)

Fw190A8 vs P-47 (no mods)

Bf109G14 vs P-51D (no mods)

 

War isn't fair and fighters can rarely compete on even terms, but you can play around with other factors in the mission, like targets, AAA and altitude, to get the rock-scissor-paper thing going. 

190A8 vs. P-47 is one of my favourite fights to get into online. It's weird that one of the smallest fighters in the sim and the biggest fighter anywhere end up so evenly matched at typical dogfight altitudes, but they do. Turn on the boost in the P-47 and you have basically the same climb and top speed, comparable roll rate, and comparable turn rate. So I find that, so long as you are not interrupted, it ends up being a very satisfying fight even when you lose. (that is the metric I have to use for fighting, since I lose so often lol).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P40 v's Bf109E7........ I'm amazed no one else has mentioned it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

190A8 vs. P-47 is one of my favourite fights to get into online. It's weird that one of the smallest fighters in the sim and the biggest fighter anywhere end up so evenly matched at typical dogfight altitudes, but they do. Turn on the boost in the P-47 and you have basically the same climb and top speed, comparable roll rate, and comparable turn rate. So I find that, so long as you are not interrupted, it ends up being a very satisfying fight even when you lose. (that is the metric I have to use for fighting, since I lose so often lol).

 

 

Having bumped into RK in his P-47 while flying an A-8 online I will agree it makes for a very exciting and challenging engagement!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

 

Having bumped into RK in his P-47 while flying an A-8 online I will agree it makes for a very exciting and challenging engagement!

 

Still one of the best fights I've had online!

The other day my daughter, who plays minecraft (and watches youtubers who play it), asked if I had ever run into a youtuber in my game. So I regaled her with the story of that fight (suitably exaggerating where necessary of course) and then told her how Central came and perfunctorily shot me down when we stalemated on the deck.

"Did you end up in a video?" She asked
"Nah, Central said the shoot down was too routine." 
"Savage!"

The other one I told her about was when I killed Scharfi by throwing my disintegrating plane at her after she bounced me on climbout. I'm going to get a lot fewer kills that way when the new DM drops...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

190A8 vs. P-47 is one of my favourite fights to get into online. It's weird that one of the smallest fighters in the sim and the biggest fighter anywhere end up so evenly matched at typical dogfight altitudes, but they do. Turn on the boost in the P-47 and you have basically the same climb and top speed, comparable roll rate, and comparable turn rate. So I find that, so long as you are not interrupted, it ends up being a very satisfying fight even when you lose. (that is the metric I have to use for fighting, since I lose so often lol).

 

 

P-47 vs 190A8 is a bit of a thinking man's game, isn't it? It's like the pace is a bit slower, and you have to carefully consider each move.

 

I can imagine in an online duel you want to take fight up where the the Jug shines, while the 190 jockey is caught in a dilemma not to go too high but keep an alt advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guster said:

 

P-47 vs 190A8 is a bit of a thinking man's game, isn't it? It's like the pace is a bit slower, and you have to carefully consider each move.

 

I can imagine in an online duel you want to take fight up where the the Jug shines, while the 190 jockey is caught in a dilemma not to go too high but keep an alt advantage.

Given the option, the P-47 always wants to stay high and the 190 always wants to stay at mid-alt. But the tactical nature of most online combat means most of your encounters are going to be at altitudes less than 10000 feet. But yes, both planes bleed energy in intensive fights and both climb/accelerate relatively poorly so you really have a finite amount of energy to expend, and once its gone you're a sitting duck. So to be successful you really have to maneuver efficiently, but you also have to react quickly, so the maneuvers have to be instinctual. I have spent a lot of time in sim in the Yaks so I have a tendency to pull hard horizontal turns, which is the worst possible thing to do in a Jug.

Most of the time in my online flying I'm doing a fighter/bomber sortie so a lot of my fights are defensive at (relatively) low altitude. In a P-47 that means using scissors to force an overshoot and possible snapshot. The problem with this is that it burns most of your speed and the P-47 can't regain it, so unless you kill the guy who overshoots you or someone rescues you, its only a matter of time. Most of the time the guys who attack you work in pairs so forcing one to overshoot basically just lets the other one line up on you and kill you. Most guys are pretty lazy about drifting across your guns when they overshoot, so even in a crippled P-47 I've gotten some kills just by spraying at guys as they blow past me.

If I am flying the P-47 as a fighter I tend to get up to 20000 feet or more and try and bounce the high cover fighters of the enemy. The problem is I lack discipline and end up chasing planes to the deck, and once you are there you are stuck because the Jug just does not climb well. I need to remind myself to make a pass and then zoom back up to stay alive.

Although the last time I flew, a couple of Luftwaffe guys shot me down after I chased one of theirs to the deck but then collided and killed each other immediately afterwards, which was hilariously gratifying. If I can manage that more often I'll take it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I16 vs BF109 

ME-262 Vs Mustang

Fw-190 D9 vs P-47

Any pilot who can shoot down any bf109 in a I16 is a great pilot Same for shooting down a 262 in a Mustang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazed how few people have voted for Bf 109F/G vs Yak-1/7 in their various iterations. Closely matched planes with an edge towards the 109s, on the low to medium altitudes of tactical combat. Really fun and mostly comes down to pilot skills. Nod to the Yak-7 we have in the sim, I used the avoid it like the plague because it is ugly but it turned out to be more enjoyable to fly than the Yak-1 s.69.

 

Bf 109Gs vs anything. I don't have BoBP (yet!) but I enjoy taking the G2 and G4 in combat against the late-war Allied fighters. One would be surprised how well they hold up in a knife-fight, the only thing they lack is pure horsepower. Surprisingly, though, a friendly Bf 109G-14 or K-4 was dead intent on killing me over 9th Panzer SS on Combat Box today, knife fight in the vertical. I was just trying to avoid getting hit and the G2 I was flying held its own. 

 

Generally, fighter pairs with at least generally close performance:

 

FW-190 vs La-5

MC202 vs Spitfire V

MiG-3 vs Bf-109F2/4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fw 190A-8 vs P-51D

Fw 190A-8 vs P-38J

Fw 190A-8 vs Tempest V

Fw 190A-8 vs Spitfire IX

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Although the last time I flew, a couple of Luftwaffe guys shot me down after I chased one of theirs to the deck but then collided and killed each other immediately afterwards, which was hilariously gratifying. If I can manage that more often I'll take it!

 

Ha! Good times!

10 hours ago, Burdokva said:

Amazed how few people have voted for Bf 109F/G vs Yak-1/7 in their various iterations. Closely matched planes with an edge towards the 109s, on the low to medium altitudes of tactical combat. Really fun and mostly comes down to pilot skills. Nod to the Yak-7 we have in the sim, I used the avoid it like the plague because it is ugly but it turned out to be more enjoyable to fly than the Yak-1 s.69.

 

I love the Bf109G2 vs Yak-1 69 match. I love exploring new scenarios, but I always come back to this one. Perhaps because it was the first skirmish I had in BoS and the two planes I used when learning to design missions. The 109 has an edge, but I enjoy flying both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Avimimus said:

He-111 vs. He-111

obviously ;)

Fully multi-crewed gunner battles sounds like a good time actually...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In IL2 '46 we used to have TB3 dogfights.

 

Hilarious fun.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pe-2 vs Bf-109

 

😔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...