vossiewulf

HP Reverb strobing on mission load

I have no idea why this is happening, could be this game, could be the Reverb, could be Steam's VR. What is supposed to happen on the BoS mission load screens is it's supposed to switch the background to Steam's VR waiting area while displaying a small window saying Battle of Stalingrad and loading...[.] What happens 90% of the time is the background strobes/flickers between the steam waiting area and the BoS UI I was looking at, at around 20hz or so. 

I have to close my eyes shut, it's very unpleasant, and if you have epilepsy don't dream of trying it.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Just look away - I wish they would fix it - been that way for months!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, whitav8 said:

Just look away - I wish they would fix it - been that way for months!

Glad to know others are seeing it. 1C folks, it really is nasty and unpleasant, and if a doctor saw it he'd insist you start putting epilepsy warnings all over your product info. Can you please look into it? 

12 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I have no idea why this is happening, could be this game, could be the Reverb, could be Steam's VR. What is supposed to happen on the BoS mission load screens is it's supposed to switch the background to Steam's VR waiting area while displaying a small window saying Battle of Stalingrad and loading...[.] What happens 90% of the time is the background strobes/flickers between the steam waiting area and the BoS UI I was looking at, at around 20hz or so. 

I have to close my eyes shut, it's very unpleasant, and if you have epilepsy don't dream of trying it.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Hi, me too have this kind of unpleasant behavior since several month. I have experienced this after a steam VR update. It always happen when a quick combat or single mission or campaign mission is loaded.

As you said if you have epilepsy is dangerous due to flickering vertigo and then epilepsy attak. I don't know if Steam VR is aware of this kind of behavior in IL-2GB.

How can you do it to let them know? Who should we contact? Do they have a service for this type of report?

Ciao!

M

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Marvel said:

Hi, me too have this kind of unpleasant behavior since several month. I have experienced this after a steam VR update. 

That's very helpful that a Steam update caused it, thanks Marvel. That means we're barking up the wrong tree by posting here, we need to go over to the Steam forums for Steam support, not the forum for this game. I'll go try to find wherever that is.

Ok, anyone who is seeing this please go here:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=250820&issueid=375&nodeid=44&return_nodeid=85

And click on the Contact Support link, I've done most of the navigating for you already. The more reports they have the more likely they will fix it.

Edited by vossiewulf

Hi mate, ok, I will do that as soon as possible! 👍

Ciao!

M

Done. This a copy of my communication to Steam support:

"Dear Staem VR support, I am writing to you because for some weeks now I have been having various problems with Steam VR.
1) When I launch Steam VR, almost always my internet connection go down and it works again when I close Steam VR. To play campaigns on IL-2 GB I need to have a stable internet connection.
2) Usually I play with IL-2GB (non steam version) and always with my headset, an HP Reverb. The game starts well, but when I load a single mission or a quick combat or a campaign mission the load screen starts heavy flickering and this is very annoiyng. I must to close my eyes to prevent it from bothering me too much.
If I take off the headset I see the usual game load screen, but wearing the headset I see an overlapping of a purple banner showing IL-2 loading and the Steam VR dome background.

Several users of IL-2GB, on the IL-2GB forum, reports the same issues.

I hope these notes and the report in attachment could help you to solve these annoying issues.

thanks in advance for a kindly reply.

Best Regards."

Hoping they can solve it....🤞

Ciao!

M

Posted (edited)

The developers are aware of it trust me. There was a change in SteamVR that caused this issue to appear first. They have their hands full at the moment with going HomeOffice, they continue to work in this crisis, please look at the recent devblog. It's very good that you have contacted SteamVR support too. You may want to check out the SteamVR feature "fade to grid" and enable it, then please tell again what the result is.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The developers are aware of it trust me. There was a change in SteamVR that caused this issue to appear first. They have their hands full at the moment with going HomeOffice, they continue to work in this crisis, please look at the recent devblog. It's very good that you have contacted SteamVR support too. You may want to check out the SteamVR feature "fade to grid" and enable it, then please tell again what the result is.

Ok, I will try to do that. Please, could you tell me where I can found "fade to grid"?

Ciao!

M

I have a pimax and it does the same, I don't think it is an HP Reverb thing. (Unless it is a Reverb and Pimax thing only?)

Happened to me in the Reverb with WMR and SteamVR for WMR but it does not happen with my Index and SteamVR

While I don't have IL2 yet to use with my Reverb...I can confirm the exact same thing happens with load screens in DCS. 

Posted (edited)

As I have implied, this may be the wrong place - see, the Devs cannot do much about it. You need to post in the Steam forums, it's an issue with SteamVR/OpenVR.

If you have the same in the Rift, try OpenComposite. Maybe that helps, maybe not.. :coffee: 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

On 3/24/2020 at 8:57 AM, ZiggyBClark said:

I have a pimax and it does the same, I don't think it is an HP Reverb thing. (Unless it is a Reverb and Pimax thing only?)

I used to have this very same issue and then updated PiTool. The newer version, and I forget which one as it  was quite some time ago now, fixed this behaviour. If you are still with an older PiTool try the one of the more recent versions, #253 or #258.

Posted (edited)

I use Open Composite with my Rift S and do not have this.

Note: Open Composite only works with Oculus.

Edited by dburne

Yeap, I have this with my Reverb, also on DCS. Both DCS and IL2 are standalone versions (not Steam)
It's horrible. 

While I hate it too, I just start on the desktop (stereo mirror) until I am ready for takeoff and put on the hmd then.

It's not there if you use the PiTool (HLA version) to launch IL-2 directly. It does not fire up SteamVR that way, only the compositor.