Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 245 - Discussion

4 minutes ago, HerrBree said:

You're missing the point

How so? I linked official documents that show the numbers. I haven't seen any official documents that show 5 hits were all it takes to down a B-17.

33 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

You guys ever consider a beta branch for the game? 

Better not, it could water down MP numbers!

Look DCS, some ppl are on stable some on beta version making MP quite crippled.

Il2 already have testers from community and that prooved to be enough so far.

9 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

The only thing that waters down MP numbers is spotting.

I agree that didn't help or rather is annoying but having two versions of game is far worse!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

Il2 has testers for the game so there's no reason to have a Beta like in DCS, imo it's a poor way to do things. 

Stable version is all you need for the public.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Yeah why read where I can just show you

That said - I understand what you are trying to say. A 30 mm round hitting a wingtip of a 4 engined bombers will not bring the aircraft down but as you can see from that video, the Spit now has the same flight charastics of a brick. 2-3 rounds will bring a B-17/B-24/Lancaster etc.. down. No one is aiming for a wingtip dude.

Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Yeah why read where I can just show you

That said - I understand what you are trying to say. A 30 mm round hitting a wingtip of a 4 engined bombers will not bring the aircraft down but as you can see from that video, the Spit now has the same flight charastics of a brick. 2-3 rounds will bring a B-17/B-24/Lancaster etc.. down. No one is aiming for a wingtip dude.

I've seen the video countless times and people love to bring it up when talking about the Mk108 to try and claim it was a wonder weapon. I've given you the report with factual data and not just some video with the greatest possible result.

• Upvote 4

You have to hand it to our devs and J, always trying to improve. I be compressed, depressed or impressed, I can never figure out the difference between the 3.

Can we please save the 30mm complaints until we've actually seen how the Mk108 and others perform in the new DM?

This is a time for excitement ( and a thread for discussing the DD).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

On 3/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, IckyATLAS said:

Now becoming an ACE means what it is: not an easy task.

Agreed, but the other side of the coin is, without a major improvement of your squadmates AI in career mode and PWCG missions, it might become a reason to invite all your friends and celebrate a big party, once one of your squadmates gets an airkill. They already have big issues downing enemy aircrafts, when this gets even harder, I see very empty air victories lists on the pilots roster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yogiflight said:

They already have big issues downing enemy aircrafts, when this gets even harder, I see very empty air victories lists on the pilots roster.

I dont think it‘s gonna be harder to bring them down. It‘s more like you‘re not gonna see too much on the exterior part of the aircraft (wings folding like origami), but inside, some flight systems might be damaged to an extent that the plane will likely not make it home or even go down shortly after.

Anybody else see this and immediately think; "Welp, looks like I'll  be avoiding il2/pe2's even more in TAW than I already do..."

• Like 2

Great video - thanks for sharing it and the related news.  I take comfort in the posts above that this will also affect the FC birds, but I sure would like to see some video featuring those FC planes, if you feel like making another video any time soon.

Hope you and the team in Moscow manage to stay safe in these dangerous times.

14 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Agreed, but the other side of the coin is, without a major improvement of your squadmates AI in career mode and PWCG missions, it might become a reason to invite all your friends and celebrate a big party, once one of your squadmates gets an airkill. They already have big issues downing enemy aircrafts, when this gets even harder, I see very empty air victories lists on the pilots roster.

There may be an issue with AI, I am not sure about it. But at least we will stop the shower of wing parts raining down from the sky. Its nice to see a plane after three 20 or 30 mm cannon rounds disintegrate but that's not reality. Except for the zeros that would flame and torch on the EU theater planes could withstand more punishment.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

I dont think it‘s gonna be harder to bring them down. It‘s more like you‘re not gonna see too much on the exterior part of the aircraft (wings folding like origami), but inside, some flight systems might be damaged to an extent that the plane will likely not make it home or even go down shortly after.

This

Posted (edited)

That don't impress me, already stopped to watch this video at 0:41 after seeing how many bullets the wings can eat and still fly like a new bird.  I mean this part 0:22 to 0:41 how stable the right wing is even after many hits. And at this part from 0:35 to 0:38 that plane should break to the right after that many solid hits into the right wing and enter a right spin, should yeah should but the right aileron is still working and that plane fly stable even with full of big holes in the right wing in combat. :negative:

Edited by Livai
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Livai said:

That don't impress me, already stopped to watch this video at 0:41 after seeing how many bullets the wings can eat and still fly like a new bird.  I mean this part 0:22 to 0:41 how stable the right wing is even after many hits. And at this part from 0:35 to 0:38 that plane should break to the right after that many solid hits into the right wing and enter a right spin, should yeah should but the right aileron is still working and that plane fly stable even with full of big holes in the right wing in combat. :negative:

AI can give a false impression, wait until you try it for yourself.

Also, he's shooting from a very high angle, the rounds could potentially pass through the wing and miss any important load bearing structure like the spar. 

Edited by Legioneod

1 hour ago, wombatBritishBulldogs said:

One would hope Tank Crew damage model is receiving just as much attention both in the environment and tanks !

I do not think so at this moment. But I have or believe I have read that they will improve that too. Remember it started  as a  novelty 

This sounds awesome.  I have been an advocate for US aircraft to be loaded with API and APIT ammo for years.  Just curious Jason if this is/will be modeled.  The API could penetrate fuel tanks and set them on fire as well. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, 310th_Diablo said:

This sounds awesome.  I have been an advocate for US aircraft to be loaded with API and APIT ammo for years.  Just curious Jason if this is/will be modeled.  The API could penetrate fuel tanks and set them on fire as well. 

EDIT. Nevermind I was mistaken. API isnt modeled as of yet.

Edited by Legioneod

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Legioneod said:

AI can give a false impression, wait until you try it for yourself.

Also, he's shooting from a very high angle, the rounds could potentially pass through the wing and miss any important load bearing structure like the spar. 

Skipping the most interesting part in this video can give also false impression! - What happen after 0:41 with that plane - Why was this part skipped.......

Oh Lord, the Ai, when Engine Damage is disabled for this test the Ai will fly much longer than normal...........

Sure I will wait and see myself if this DM suits fine

Edited by Livai

You really do tend towards the "glass half empty" approach to life, don't you?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Livai said:

Skipping the most interesting part in this video can give also false impression! - What happen after 0:41 with that plane - Why was this part skipped.......

Oh Lord, the Ai, when Engine Damage is disabled for this test the Ai will fly much longer than normal...........

Sure I will wait and see myself if this DM suits fine

5E0EDA6C-B312-4DA0-91FB-F18017FACE47.gif.2c956bb50c934500bccb06058ce652e2.gif

• Haha 2

Does the new damage model take into account collision? For example, in my Dora I just nipped a the very edge of the vertical stabilizer of a P38 with the extreme tip of my wing but the whole wing ripped off immediately.

• Like 1

Good question.  I was flying against AI last night and an MC 202 rammed my P40.  Lost the tail and both wings but my fueselage was otherwise totally intact. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, driftaholic said:

Dear God, please NO.  Having a beta and stable is near the top of the list of things wrong with DCS.  Definitely don't want to see IL-2 go down that horrendous road. 

• Upvote 7

Release the update PLEASE!

It's tough to manage expectations, people please be patient I'm sure it will be worth it!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Very nice, how about fixing what we already have? I've sent you a PM but I guess you don't read those for whatever reason. A few people asked how this is going to effect FC but didn't see an official answer. How about fixing AI gunners that are tumbling to the ground and still scoring hits with 100% accuracy or doing something about the ridiculous G-Load that shouldn't be in FC at all. A G-Load on off switch would be nice. Just curious S!    

• Confused 3

16 minutes ago, -332FG-REDMAN said:

Very nice, how about fixing what we already have? I've sent you a PM but I guess you don't read those for whatever reason. A few people asked how this is going to effect FC but didn't see an official answer. How about fixing AI gunners that are tumbling to the ground and still scoring hits with 100% accuracy or doing something about the ridiculous G-Load that shouldn't be in FC at all. A G-Load on off switch would be nice. Just curious S!    

What part of redoing the entire DM is NOT fixing what we already have?

• Upvote 1

Whatever, tired of being blown off whenever FC is mentioned. I paid good money for your product and own everything including pre-orders and now some planes are un-flyable, but I never see the issue being addressed. I think I should be able to express my concerns like anybody else unless my money's no good, then that's a completely different issue.     

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Update won't come until next week.

Our Imperator send all people to vacation from 28 march to 5 april, is it influence to 4.005 release?:wacko:

• Confused 1

Suggestion for some additional kinds of damage which should be relatively easy to implement:

Stuck propeller governor

Stuck Water/oil coolers

Stuck throttle

stuck landing gear

leak to hydrauliks

Damaged alternator

damage to ignition or injektion system leads to misfiring

stuck landing gear

Unbalaced Propeller  (causes damage to the crankshaft over time especially at higher rpm)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -332FG-REDMAN said:

There is literally a g-load on/off switch, its a check box under realistic pilot physiology in the realism options. it's been there since the new pilot physiology model launched, and they stated in the updates and in the diaries that it was there. Unclick that, and you go back to the same g-force modeling as we had before.

The official answer on the DM is that its obviously going to affect FC because they say in the dev diary it will affect all 59 planes in the sim. FC planes are in the sim and count towards that number, obviously they are included. Its a global overhaul. You'll see exactly how it works when the update drops, just like the rest of us.

3 hours ago, -332FG-REDMAN said:

Whatever, tired of being blown off whenever FC is mentioned. I paid good money for your product and own everything including pre-orders and now some planes are un-flyable, but I never see the issue being addressed. I think I should be able to express my concerns like anybody else unless my money's no good, then that's a completely different issue.     

Which planes are unflyable? Have you made a bug report?