Sign in to follow this  
69th_Mobile_BBQ

Router issues and IL-2 Multiplayer.

I am not even trying to guess what is going on, or what the causes may be.  These are the things that I know:

When I play IL-2 multiplayer, usually Combat Box or Wings of Liberty, I experience random router full-crashes.  It completely disconnects me from the internet. 

It usually takes a minute or two for the router to complete a restart process, then it's fine.  

This only happens when I am playing in IL-2 multiplayer.  This is why I am posting here. 

Like I said I have no idea whether or not IL-2 has anything to do with it, but this is the only time it happens. 

As I also said, it's completely random, so reproducing is nearly impossible.  

If there is anyway to attempt to diagnose the issue or prepare to gather data in the event it happens again, I would be very grateful.  

Thanks  ~S~

How old is that router?

It could be on its way out? If/When it needs to 'work' it can't handle it?

Ask your ISP - or the party that manages your router. They should be able to diagnose the device.

Weird stuff though.

27 minutes ago, DD_FT- said:

How old is that router?

It could be on its way out? If/When it needs to 'work' it can't handle it?

Ask your ISP - or the party that manages your router. They should be able to diagnose the device.

Weird stuff though.

It's only about 2 years old. 

I works any other time, with other online games, downloading large game files, and video streaming.  

I don't have any usage caps.  As long as I pay my monthly, I get unlimited GBs and am sure my plan is not subject to throttling. 

1 hour ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

I am not even trying to guess what is going on, or what the causes may be.  These are the things that I know:

When I play IL-2 multiplayer, usually Combat Box or Wings of Liberty, I experience random router full-crashes.  It completely disconnects me from the internet. 

It usually takes a minute or two for the router to complete a restart process, then it's fine.  

This only happens when I am playing in IL-2 multiplayer.  This is why I am posting here. 

Like I said I have no idea whether or not IL-2 has anything to do with it, but this is the only time it happens. 

As I also said, it's completely random, so reproducing is nearly impossible.  

If there is anyway to attempt to diagnose the issue or prepare to gather data in the event it happens again, I would be very grateful.  

Thanks  ~S~

This kind of thing used to happen to me on a outer I had from my ISP. Whenever a wireless device connected to it, the router would shut down, restart, and then work fine again.

I could download whatever the heck I wanted, stream video, whatever, and it wouldn't have a problem. But as soon as a wireless device tried to connect it shut down.

It turned out that the power supply on those units was known to fail frequently - basically, the AC adaptor was crap could only supply enough power for partial usage. The only noticeable symptom was the wireless simply not being able to be activated without shutting the system down, since that caused significant power draw. My ISP knew about the issue but didn't care, they kept sending out the routers with the poor-quality power supply, then conned people into buying it off them at an inflated price and then being responsible for repairing it or getting new parts. 

I just ended up tracking down a replacement adaptor that didn't have the fault in it, ordered two, and the thing continued to work for 6 more years after the fact.

So it could be that when the speed or amount of the back and forth information for MP in IL-2 is stressing your router's ability to supply enough power, and when it draws too much it shuts down. If you can get a cheap replacement adaptor for the unit, swap it out and see if it resolves the issue. Or swap out a spare router if you can borrow one or have one lying around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

1) This kind of thing used to happen to me on a outer I had from my ISP. Whenever a wireless device connected to it, the router would shut down, restart, and then work fine again.

2) So it could be that when the speed or amount of the back and forth information for MP in IL-2 is stressing your router's ability to supply enough power, and when it draws too much it shuts down. If you can get a cheap replacement adaptor for the unit, swap it out and see if it resolves the issue. Or swap out a spare router if you can borrow one or have one lying around.

1). I can rule out other devices connecting to the router as I do not have a wireless transceiver in the loop.  It's all hardwired to only one machine.  

2). I will be sure to investigate this possibility as soon as I can.  Thanks.  

No joy on checking the hardware. 

I was kicked from Combat Box with a router crash 3 times tonight.   

I logged into a different server and had no problems.  

9 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

No joy on checking the hardware. 

I was kicked from Combat Box with a router crash 3 times tonight.   

I logged into a different server and had no problems.  

Well, I'm stumped. I really thought it might be the power supply.

Were you on TAW on the Bodenplatte map? I know someone a while back was having CTDs online from the Bodenplatte map, I wonder if its a map-specific issue?

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Well, I'm stumped. I really thought it might be the power supply.

Were you on TAW on the Bodenplatte map? I know someone a while back was having CTDs online from the Bodenplatte map, I wonder if its a map-specific issue?

I only observed TAW from afar via the website.  It worked out pretty much how I expected....

Just now, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

I only observed TAW from afar via the website.  It worked out pretty much how I expected....

I've had only sporadic time to play lately so it didn't make sense to try and play on TAW without being able to commit.

Have you been able to fly on any other server that uses the Bodenplatte map?

Not recently.

14 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I've had only sporadic time to play lately so it didn't make sense to try and play on TAW without being able to commit.

Have you been able to fly on any other server that uses the Bodenplatte map?

I haven't tried any Bodenplatte maps on other servers.  If I get the opportunity to, I will.    

Last night, after CB kept kicking me and my router kept crashing,  I went to a Flying Circus server instead.  I got disconnected once but no router crash.  I think attribute that to high ping.

My ping to CB is 35 though, so I can't say that's part of the problem.