B-25 or B-26

B-25 or B-26  

213 members have voted

1. 1. B-25 or B-26 what do you like more and why

• North American B-25 Mitchell
    • Martin B-26 Marauder

I like both but I'd have to choose the B-26. It's got a few disadvantages compared to the B-25 but it's tough and can take a beating. It also has a decent bombload and decent for a bomber imo.

Such a beauty.

B_26.jpg

32 minutes ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

B 26 from the fifties !

( not the marauder but the Invader )

While technically correct, the most common nomenclature for the Invader is the A-26. Specifically to avoid confusion with the Marauder.

But by your handle, I suspect you know that. :)

*also, still voting Mitchell regardless.

• Upvote 1

The B-26 is a more unique plane in the simworld, thats why i am looking forward to it. 

The B-25 Was featured in so many games already. Flew it for so many hours in the past, but the 26 was never somewhere flyable... 😃 

So lets go for the 26 

• Upvote 2

If the question is which I'd most like to see as a flyable, I'd probably go for the B-25, though I'd be more than happy with either. I prefer the B-25 looks for a start. Rugged functionality, as opposed to the B-26's slightly out-of-proportion blandness. And given that the B-25 served just about anywhere, it would probably offer more opportunities for historical(ish) gameplay. On the other hand, the B-26 might, with a well-made FM, offer more of a challenge to fly, though presumably we'd get a later version rather than the early ones which led to its widowmaker reputation. Not too hard to come up with flying challenges for a B-25 though, with the right loadout. Fill her up with parafrags and 50 cals, and give me a juicy target for some low-level mayhem...

2 hours ago, 76IAP-Black said:

The B-26 is a more unique plane in the simworld, thats why i am looking forward to it. 

The B-25 Was featured in so many games already. Flew it for so many hours in the past, but the 26 was never somewhere flyable... 😃 

So lets go for the 26 

I second this notion. I've more than enough hours in the B-25 I'd rather have something new and unique.

Both are great planes that I would like to see flyable.  However, my choice, like some others, goes to the B-26's. For some unknown reason this aircraft is scorned and for that reason alone it would be nice to be able to fly this rare pearl of engineering.

5 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

B 26 from the fifties !

( not the marauder but the Invader )

Spot the Invaders!

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1824042,-113.8874053,144m/data=!3m1!1e3

300mph on the deck and a one way range of over 2000 miles made these things the cocaine smugglers plane of choice back in the seventies.....

I get the sense that some people are being biased through having had more contact with the B-25 than the B-26...

As for me, alas, I'd prefer an A-20G1 (with 20mm Hispanos to rival the Mossie), and a Il-4 (need to complete our existing planeset) or Wellington (target for Ju-88C6)... I honestly can't say I'm informed enough to pick among the ETO variants of the B-25 and B-26.... so that lack of familiarity may be impacting me even more than others.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:39 PM, DD_Arthur said:

300mph on the deck and a one way range of over 2000 miles made these things the cocaine smugglers plane of choice back in the seventies.....

Barry Seal scripted campaign in 3...2...1...

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Barry Seal scripted campaign in 3...2...1...

I had to Google him.  My goodness, what a story!

I don't think a scripted campaign would do this guy justice.  I can see it as an XBox/Playstation game very much like Grand Theft Auto......but with airliners:)

There's a movie with Tom Cruise about him, called "American Made" - certainly entertaining!

To get the story full circle: The A-26 was in part designed by Ted Smith, who also played a major role in designing the Aero Commander (of Bob Hoover fame) and Aerostar (plays a role in the movie). Both are lookers and great performers. Just like the Invader...

B25 is more distinctive with twin tails...and is AI available now !

B26 shape  close to A20  _ but served in different colours ,  like FAFL  (Free French) bombers groups in England and Mediterranean...

So, B25 flyable now ,  B26 next  - ideal for BoN landings support, rail interdiction etc..

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see the closed nose with guns installed.  But the one you left out because it's not on the menu is A-20G, which I would take over the other two.

Hoss

• Like 1
On 3/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Avimimus said:

I get the sense that some people are being biased through having had more contact with the B-25 than the B-26...

As for me, alas, I'd prefer an A-20G1 (with 20mm Hispanos to rival the Mossie), and a Il-4 (need to complete our existing planeset) or Wellington (target for Ju-88C6)... I honestly can't say I'm informed enough to pick among the ETO variants of the B-25 and B-26.... so that lack of familiarity may be impacting me even more than others.

I should amend this with the Boston III (alongside the A-20G1)... as Boston III were the major British day bombers during Dieppe... and shouldn't be that hard to model as it is very close to our A-20 but with British guns (including blisters)...

That said, the high wing loading of the B-26 would be fun (in a sim, if not in real life) but the B-25 would be fun if it was in the Pacific and we could get the heavier low altitude attack armament options.

Edited by Avimimus
  • 1 month later...

I have to go with the B-26: Capable bomb load 5,800 lb (2,600 kg) , though normally it carried less. B-25 Capable Bomb load 3,000 lb (1361 kg).  The B-26 could survive a successful belly landing better than the B-25, the 25 would usually be sanded down to just under the pilots deck on belly landings, the 26 would usually survive more or less intact (not to fly again). This being a good thing for crew member survivability if they were unable to exit the plane before the landing.

Of course all that said I will have to say I am also a bit biased http://www.320thbg.org/roster_i.html , "Pete" Ison was my grandfather, who I never meet he died after the war and 5 years before I was born.

And then there is this:

The US Army leaves an unwelcome calling card with Admiral Nagumo

Interesting story https://www.pacificwar.org.au/Midway/USArmy_at_Midway.html

...Last small story, even though my grandfather died before I was born years later, I was around 32, he taught me something, http://www.320thbg.org/mission_pdfs/mission_593.pdf. He participated in the last mission the 320th took part in during the war. Flying with Lt. Gustafson in plane #43 what he taught me was something I had never read before but after thinking about it I should have just known. If you look at the mission report they bombed Gun positions at lle d'Oleron (France).  I did not know that we were still taking out German flack positions that were on the islands just off the French coast.

Strike photo:

strike_593.jpg

I looked up the island and found a tourist brochure with the road system.  If you find that brochure you can actually see what part of the island they bombed, the roads still exist today.  I would love to go there some day and see if I could fine a bomb fragment from that mission.

Also for those interested the 320th BG web site has some interesting pictures, film clips, stories and all the mission reports as well as a few other tid bits.

Edited by Merell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Danziger said:

Why not both?

I would already be happy if one of them gets flyable one day.
But if ever they can pull it off to make them both, by all means let them do so. They would be instant buys for me.

And while they're at it, let them make some more variants too (just wishful thinking :biggrin: ).

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Upvote 2