so what do you do not get bored at home now?

4 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Repression at it's best. In some way, it is absolutely natural; it is an important factor to keep one sane overall. But at this point, it kills. In general, people are really bad in assessing what is truly dangerous to them. In this case, it is even worse, because on average people can't grasp the exponential function at all.

What we have now is one of those moments that will have it's place in history forever. There will not be any normal until we have vaccination and end up just with a 5th endemic coronavirus. This means not for another year. (Or I would guess a year and a half.). There will be no "normal" economy until then, with all the downsteam effects on the economy. It means everything will change. And after that, we'll pick it up from there. How could you allow yourself just thinking down that lane? It is truly scary. Interesting times.

Sorta like "We'll all be home by Christmas" during the war years...

• Upvote 2

Anyway, on the topic of not getting bored, if I do end up isolating for the duration I doubt I'll have a shortage of things to do. I have a loooong list of leatherworking commissions to do, and once those are done another list of things I want to make for my family and myself (it's one of those literal 'cobblers children go barefoot' scenarios, if only for re-enactment purposes).

Current worklist: 15th century pointed-toe shoes, 12th century boots, decorated archery armguard, and decorated forearm bracers, and a wallet. All unfortunately at various stages of completion, so the work area is a bit of a mess! If I can get this stuff checked off I'll feel a little less frazzled.

The pointed-toed shoes have been really interesting to do, especially the decoration - it involves scraping the grain layer off the leather in certain areas to make patterns with a suede effect, combined with shallow incisions for cross-hatching and a couple little decorative motifs. A bit nerve-wracking though, since quite a few of the steps involved I've never done before, and only read about them in archaeology books. The damn toes are giving me grief since they have to be whip stitched invisible somehow after most of the shoe is done. Thankfully there is a lady in Switzerland who runs a shoe museum who has been very helpful. 

I never used to consider myself 'crafty' but thankfully my wife encouraged me a few years back. It's good to be able to keep busy with your hands in case the Internet gets too slow or a computer dies or something. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Repression at it's best. In some way, it is absolutely natural; it is an important factor to keep one sane overall. But at this point, it kills. In general, people are really bad in assessing what is truly dangerous to them. In this case, it is even worse, because on average people can't grasp the exponential function at all.

They probably just think that the virus will not kill them: if they are young they are probably right. 

Something to pass a few minutes with an exponential function in an amusing way.

https://thefed.app/apply

Edited by unreasonable
34 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

They probably just think that the virus will not kill them: if they are young they are probably right. 

Cookie Clicker for monetary policy!
*clicks away happily*

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

Ha. I'll spend my time in isolation practising to be a fed banker. I'll be the feddest of all bankers then, totally fedder, fettest actually, most fettest of bankers. I'll be so cool. I mean, look at me. I take no responsabilty for any of this but I'll be hugely fettest. It'll be amazingest. I'll be even more amanzingest.

I gotta say the single worst thing about all of this is that somehow my il2 install corrupted (thanks steam) so I've had to do a full redownload and such. Hoping my keybinds and graphics settings were tied to my account... 

• 4 weeks later...

A little update :)I am now locked as well. We had some homeless guy who tested positive one day, but he is in our ER every week or so. And because of him half of crew is now on quarantine. Including me, we had test made and now must sit at home, cant go back to work. It sucks for everyone, we already has problem with lack of medics and now ER runs on half the crew we had.

Also now i kind of get all this ww2 books i read. You don't really care about yourself but it would suck to get tested positive and know that all your friends from work had contact with you. Also sucks to sit at home while rest is stuck in ER, lacking people to work. I don't really feel like playing or reading anything, just wish i could go back to my ER and do my job.

Edited by InProgress
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

I work on my school. Now that my wife works from home and we have to home school our autistic son, I have even less free time than before the virus. I have to do my university classes online and spend the weekends reading and studying. It honestly sucks. During the week, I am home schooling our boy in the living room while my wife is locked up in the bedroom doing her work. I am here on the forum procrastinating right now because I am burned out. I have a gigantic presentation to research and write over the course of today and tomorrow.

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

A little update :)I am now locked as well. We had some homeless guy who tested positive one day, but he is in our ER every week or so. And because of him half of crew is now on quarantine. Including me, we had test made and now must sit at home, cant go back to work. It sucks for everyone, we already has problem with lack of medics and now ER runs on half the crew we had.

Also now i kind of get all this ww2 books i read. You don't really care about yourself but it would suck to get tested positive and know that all your friends from work had contact with you. Also sucks to sit at home while rest is stuck in ER, lacking people to work. I don't really feel like playing or reading anything, just wish i could go back to my ER and do my job.

Aren't you from around the tri-city? We were also quarantined for two weeks a while back. We went to Budapest for our 10th anniversary and they closed the borders the day after we came back. We were called and put on quarantine because it turned out someone on our flight back tested positive. 

2 hours ago, Danziger said:

Aren't you from around the tri-city? We were also quarantined for two weeks a while back. We went to Budapest for our 10th anniversary and they closed the borders the day after we came back. We were called and put on quarantine because it turned out someone on our flight back tested positive. 

I live on the other side of the country. Now got info that i am clean but one person from our team is not, so no one knows what to do now and we just wait for more info. Even tho i dont have it, still must sit at home for some reason 😕

1 minute ago, InProgress said:

I live on the other side of the country. Now got info that i am clean but one person from our team is not, so no one knows what to do now and we just wait for more info. Even tho i dont have it, still must sit at home for some reason 😕

They were supposed to come and test us but they never did. Even if we did have it, I think it would be unlikely that all four of us would not have any symptoms. We still had to stay in for two weeks though just to be on the safe side. Overall, I think they are doing outstanding job in Poland. Even though, in all western media I see Germany and S Korea being used as the shining examples of how to do it right. The numbers of cases and deaths here are very low. There also seems to be a smaller number of people that do not "agree" with protecting against the virus or actively trying to spread it. As an American, I am definitely happy I moved here. 

I don't want to call you a "hero" or say "thank you for your service" because I could not stand it when people said it to me after coming home from the war. It just seems cheap and insincere generic response. 

I do want to say that I appreciate that your job has to be a lot harder than usual these days and I wish you good health and good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

so what do you do not get bored at home now?

You mean - What do you do at home now to prevent from getting bored?

Not to be a grammer Nazi, lol

During this covid virus Pandemic, im not locked or quarantined at home, and haven't been, i work a full time job at night, 3rd shift

from 9pm-5-6am or whenever we get done, company i work for is called Black Horse Carriers, it is a Top tier trucking carrier

our main account at the warehouse i work at is GM (General Motors).

GM sends us freight which we sort and load on to routes that get delivered to all car and truck dealers in our state and surrounding states (USA).

GM is about 15min from our warehouse, so we shuttle flat carts full of car and truck parts, all types of parts, engines, transmissions, oil filters, light bulbs, you name it

from them to us. We have about 49 routes that go out starting at 6pm and ends at about 2-4am, i have one route myself which i been loading

for past 9yrs, the route goes to Michigan and the dealer the route is for supplies the state as its not only a dealer but a supplier to other dealers.

So i guess you can say im an essential worker ;)

Anyways in my off time, i'm usually here https://forums.bohemia.net/profile/755553-gunter-severloh/

On the BI forums for Arma3 which i been on for 10yrs, i been an avid fan and supporter of the series since its beginning in 2001, aside building many

compilation lists for the community, one for all you arma3 fans into WW2 might be interested in is my Arma 3 WW2 Compilation list

Aside the forums i record videos for my utube channel, depending on my projects with mods, code, or playing with my

coop group i'll usually have a video i record and edit, aside playing the game and now getting into IL-2, i been working on

my flying skills for arma3 as with my coop group i fly for them when we play this is what i fly when we play WW2 btw.

I plan to fly the same in IL-2,  im a real fan of air to ground engagements, right now im waiting for my TracIR5 before i get to flying in IL2

i actually just bought IL-2 this past Monday on sale, i have BOS, BOK, BOBP, & Flying Circus, wish i had bought them all from the

website like i did the last two but i just learned about that recently so thats why i only have the two ribbons.

I usually never get bored, im to busy working on stuff, supporting the community, beta testing for a project, and other things, to me

if your bored then you are not utilizing your creative energies, theres to much to do and people to support in whatever you do.

Edited by Gunter_Severloh
On 3/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, AndyJWest said:

Your English isn't bad enough to worry about here, Raaaid. The people who want to understand you can usually figure it out, and those that don't want to don't need to. And yes, English is confusing. What does 'now then' mean? What is the opposite of 'inflammable'? And what exactly did the actress say to the bishop?

We'd probably be better off all learning Bislama,  the  creole language of Vanuatu. While much of the vocabulary is from English and other European languages, the underlying structure is decidedly Melanesian, giving it the ability to make distinctions that English cannot. In English, if a group of friends walks up to you and says "We've won the lottery" you may well be unsure whether 'we' includes you or not, and whether you should rush off and order a Lamborghini. Bislama, on the other hand, has two distinct words for 'we': 'mipela' meaning 'the speaker and other persons, excluding the the person(s) being spoken to', and 'yumi' which means 'the speaker and other persons, including the the person(s) being spoken to' (The Vanuatu national anthem starts 'Yumi, yumi, yumi i glat long talem se, Yumi, yumi, yumi ol man blong Vanuatu... as a fine declaration of fraternity.) Tok Pisin, the closely-related creole of Papua New Guinea takes this even further, having such useful words as 'mitupela' (the two of us but not you), 'mitripela' (the three of us but not you), and 'yumitripela' which you should probably be able to figure out for yourself. Being relatively new languages, Bislama and Tok Pisin are much more logically structured than English, which is weighed down by history, and by the insistence of William the Conqueror and his descendants that imposing Romance-language vocabulary onto Germanic grammar is the way to do things. By force. And looting words wholesale from every corner of the Globe and then changing their meaning probably didn't help. If you want a logical new language, throw people who can't understand a word of each other's existing languages together, and leave them to it. They will never really communicate properly amongst themselves, but their children will. Children don't just have the ability lo learn languages: they know, without having to be told, how to convert the incoherent mumblings of their parents into something with structure, something you can say anything in. Or almost anything at least, since even children can sometimes fail to come up with words for things they've never needed to say.

Very interesting.