Oscar19681

Battle of Normandy question.

I was wondering, how far in development are they on the Normandy module? Is it worth to pre-order? The price seems very high for the normandy map, will the price go down once it get released? I mean when compared to bodemplatte its basicly the same module expect you get the Normandy map, and much of the same planes only different versions. So why the price is so redicioulessly high I wonder?

• Sad 1

So far the modules (maps) were released in 2 years intervals, so I exepct that the Normdany map planned to be ready in late 2021.

Planned release order for aircraft is given in the link below. I expect first half of the aircraft in 2020 and the remaining in 2021.

My approach is to wait with pre-order until an aircraft is released that I'm interested in and that I want to fly myself. 

Posted (edited)

Pricing has been discussed so many times.  Every module the same question gets asked and answered. 

It costs what it does because it is a very high fidelity sim, with high fidelity planes and a quality map.  In addition, sales fund internal improvements like AI enhancements that benefit all players using all modules.  

The price also reflects the fact that this is a niche product.  A quality flight sim is not going to sell like a WASD adventure game.  So the team is undertaking the very difficult task of creating a high quality combat sim on limited income.  The cost is what it is.  

So no, not ridiculous at all.  Having said that, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.  You can wait for the game to be released and go on sale.  That will almost certainly happen.  However, that means that instead of flying these planes as they are released you are going. to wait probably two years, then wait longer for the new product to go on sale.  So instead of flying the first new planes some time in 2020 you are going to wait until late 2021 to early 2022

... edited to fix mangled post

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Oscar19681 said:

I was wondering, how far in development are they on the Normandy module? Is it worth to pre-order? The price seems very high for the normandy map, will the price go down once it get released? I mean when compared to bodemplatte its basicly the same module expect you get the Normandy map, and much of the same planes only different versions. So why the price is so redicioulessly high I wonder?

Count on 18-24 months building process,. If you like any of the airplanes out of 10 so mutch that you cant wait that long then yes its good to preorder, or if you like dev team and wont to help in. Price is high because not many ppl play this type of game, i bet price would have to be even higher but this is what they set on. It was like this since they started, only BoN got 10$ incress on pricing.

It is 10 $ more expensive than the other titles during the pre order. So nothing to cry about. We get more planes than in BobP or the other titles so i'm willing to pay for those...

• Upvote 1

The price is gonna drop.  There.ll be sales.

Patience. Its faaaar away.  Purchasing now is more a sign of support and you got it like that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CountZero said:

Count on 18-24 months building process,. If you like any of the airplanes out of 10 so mutch that you cant wait that long then yes its good to preorder, or if you like dev team and wont to help in. Price is high because not many ppl play this type of game, i bet price would have to be even higher but this is what they set on. It was like this since they started, only BoN got 10$ incress on pricing.

Also, if you are planning to purchase the premium edition at full price anyways, it's still cheaper to pre-order if you've got the money. 

IMO its worth it if you play multiplayer as the new planes could potentially see a lot of use even before full launch. I doubt many of the Battle of Normandy planes will be too restricted in use on say, Combat Box,  as they are generally lower in performance than what we have already. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Its better then it was going from BoK to BoBp as like you say BoN airplanes will be used online in more natural enviroment from start, and spit 14 is to come quite early :)  Also they fit in existing bobp single player campaign/carrier

Edited by CountZero

Some of the Battle of Norm and aircraft should be solid fits for Bodenplatte too. The Spitfire XIV, Typhoon, and the P-51B and P-47D-22 all should have still been in service by then. 

In fact I recall one of the earlier dev interviews they'd mentioned that the Typhoon was much more active during the BoBp than the Tempest was, but they felt it was the only battle that the Tempest could have been included in, which is what led them to the Spot Mk. IX and Tempest Mk.V instead of a Typhoon, Spitfire Mk XIV combi. 

As for why it's more expensive than the other modules, as I understand it, this is the first time we're getting there completely new multi crew aircraft and they're trying to wedge an AI B-26 in there too, so it's going to take more development work than the previous ones have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Oscar19681 said:

These sims cost a lot to develop...
- Look at the first three modules... you will find that there were even smaller differences in the aircraft (Bf-109F2 vs. Bf-109F4)... The single-engined fighters are also helping cover the costs of developing bombers (which are quite a bit more expensive). If anything we're getting better deals now.

- They aren't just developing aircraft, there is a map and campaign to develop, along with numerous improvements to the game as a whole.

- Sims are expensive to develop ...compare the cost of this sim to the cost of DCS (digital combat simulator modules).

- If you want to save money you can wait three years for the new sim to go on sale (and play the existing modules until then).

It is always worth to buy when the price is low and the quality is high like always in this series of games/simulations. Buy it and enjoy the trickle of good news that the development of the new game brings each month. :salute:

6 hours ago, Oscar19681 said:

The planes are all as different as they were in previous modules, and a couple of truly new ones that are going to be challenging (Arrado and Mosquito, for example). The map is going to be large and complex and there are AI only planes and objects being developed too. They're hiring new staff and trying to keep improving all aspects of the sim. All this takes money.

The price of a module has gone up effectively 12%, for the first time in about 6 years. At an inflation rate of 2%, which is pretty average for the last 6 years if not low, then that price tracks with the price of everything else going up. And inflation in Russia has been, IIRC, worse than elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, Oscar19681 said:

Pricing is in line with other sim products and in-line with all past releases and pretty much in line with most high end titles these days anyways. If you're new to the community and have picked up any titles on sale then you'll know they do some pretty deep discounts for older titles making them more affordable so if affordability is an issue then definitely wait for a sale. The rest of the series has plenty of great content to check out.

Normandy has just started development and it's about 2-years before we'll see it be fully released although we'll definitely see several aircraft from the title released before the end of this year.

Thanks for the info guys. And regarding price, I must confess that it’s way cheaper then buy all the WWII content for DCS ( separate map & ground objects prices, at least 60 euro per plane etc etc. I just intend to use DCS for the modern combat aspect, and besides. DCS really lacks a decent semi/dynamic campaign to be honoust. All in all IL2 GB seems to offer a much beter warbirds experience for a better price while still being a high fidelity sim 

• Upvote 1

I think it is a pity the C47 won't be flyable. It would have been nice to have an allied version of the Ju 52 experience.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Seacondor said:

I think it is a pity the C47 won't be flyable. It would have been nice to have an allied version of the Ju 52 experience.

Hopefully it'll eventually be flyable down the road along with the B-25 and B-26... time will tell

• Upvote 1

Ridiculously inexpensive if you compare it to some of my other addictive "Free To Play" addictions <cough!  Warthunder...>  Yes, there are sales.  Look what you can get right now if you don't already have, for next to nothing with the discounts running!  

Oh - and yes, the sim models lighting effects superbly.  Not just the wash out you get from looking into the sun, but the sun reflecting off of the inside of your canopy even, depending upon the angle you are looking.