Sign in to follow this  
VBF-12_Pequod

My Flying Circus Vol. I Impressions

Posted (edited)

First of all I want to say that I am totally new to WW1 aviation world. I could recognize the DR1, the Albatross ... and that's it. Thanks to Stormbirds blog and some WWI movies the bug for these colorful aircraft began to bite me. I had many doubts, especially for the steep price. To be honest I was afraid that FC wouldn't be my thing and the idea of a 80$ product gathering dust in my virtual library wasn't ideal.

Then bender-Sch27b sent me a gift out of the blue. I couldn't believe it. This community surely is like no other. Thanks again, bender-Sch27b.

I watched some tutorials, downloaded and installed Kaiserlacht campagin, and started my journey to WW1.

Somehow, I was afraid that FC was a pack of airplanes shoehorned into a WW2 simulator, but soon my fears disappeared: after starting the campaign, I experienced a new and pleasant feeling. You can almost feel the wind in your face, and keeping formation in silence (no radios obviously)  while you approach the NML is difficult to describe. The fighting is lots of fun, and although they are slower planes, everything happens at a frantic pace because of the tight maneuvers.

As with all titles in Great Battles series, graphics are sublime. Aircraft textures look amazing, and Arras map is beautiful. I heard some complaints about the map being small and sterile, but considering we're talking about WW1 airplanes (slower than WW2 aircraft) Arras map is large enough IMHO. Maybe Kuban is more eye candy (due to the variety of the map with sea and mountains) but make no mistake: Arras is simply great, and the transition from the green French fields to NML desolated landscape is very immersive. I could see explosions over allied trenches and thought: "poor infantry." About SP content, I am sure that mission makers will eventually create amazing missions and campaigns like Kaiserlacht.

If you have doubts about FC, don't think twice and pull the trigger. It is a very different and rewarding experience even if you're not a pure WW1 fan.

Now I think it is time to return the favor to the community. I have received more from this community than I can return so for now I'm offering a free Flying Circus Volume One key to someone who has not yet dared to make the leap, be it a totally new player or an old ROF. I'll announce the winner on Tuesday 17 17:00 CET.

Edited by VBF-12_Pequod
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 15

And once you get the multiplayer server experience, you discover a totally new game. I am stuck in it for 10 years now (RoF included).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hello Pequod!!

I'm interested in the FC key, please!

Also, my friend, I hope to see you soon in the air. The skies with you are more fun.

wow i had the same feeling about taking the plunge and now the team has offered a discount of flying circus vol 1 and i stumble across your post with your generous offer.

may the winner enjoy the new experience of ww1 aircraft

thanks, karl

Posted (edited)

Glad your enjoying FC..........I am up for a free " Flying Circus Volume One key ".

I own RoF and like it ,but being a bit cash-strapped I have not taken the plunge to FC (even on sale).....anyhow I am not seeking pity,I am sure many others feel the same.

Generous offer all the same........off now to go to the local workhouse for my daily bowl of gruel lol!

Edited by SirFlappy

Hello,

I'm interested too !

Thanks a lot for your generous offer

Many thanks for the Flying Circus copy VBF-12_Pequod !

Congrats to the winner!

I used to only have the first Il-2 but decided to go for the newer game after losing interest in most of what I own on Steam.
I love the Fokker D.VIIF, hate how the Dr.I flies. Overall, I like the FC Vol.1 a lot. Even working on my own skin for the Fok D.VIIF! Hah!
The map is okay