Photoshop to DDS ?

I hope you get a better reply but as far as I can remember you need to get an add on for Photoshop which I got from the Nvidia website. It is in effect a DDS file conversion plug-in. I Googled it and got all the links and info required. It is free to download.

Once you have the dds plugin installed, just save your file with the dds extension in the drop down menu for file extensions.  No need to flatten.  It will also ask you during the save function about the Alpha Channel which you want, then you'll want to generate mipmaps and use DXT5 ARBG.  That should generate the full dds file.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Once you have the dds plugin installed, just save your file with the dds extension in the drop down menu for file extensions.  No need to flatten.  It will also ask you during the save function about the Alpha Channel which you want, then you'll want to generate mipmaps and use DXT5 ARBG.  That should generate the full dds file.

I got the plugin for CS6 64-bit and I cannot get it to work. No idea what I am doing wrong.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, bad_grant said:

I got the plugin for CS6 64-bit and I cannot get it to work. No idea what I am doing wrong.

There's another solution, you can use a 3rd party image converter. I use DXTmp by Martin Wright, it's free and works like a charm and has been around for a long time so is well tested.

Just flatten the image and save as a (stress save as so as to avoid overwriting your template) BMP, then open with DXTBmp and save it as a .dds image and your good to go.

More detail and download link at his website here http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Edited by Pict
  • 1 month later...
On 1/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, bad_grant said:

After my posts above I upgraded my PS from 2018 to the latest, v22.  When I went to save a skin there was no dds plugin.  I downloaded the nVidia Texture Tools Exporter and ended up at the same place you were/are, i.e., couldn't get a dds file generated within PS.  I found the following and followed the instructions and it now works the same as it always did.  When saving, it now shows 2 choices for dds, one for the new Exporter and the older one.  Of course I do not use the Exporter one as it still does not work.  Luckily I still had the 2018 version installed to transfer the files.  Not sure if an install of the old dds plugin would work or not but I think the copy/paste is doing the same thing.   FYI for step 3 I had no File Formats folder so I just created one.  Good luck.

https://www.christoph-werner.de/2015/11/03/hint-how-to-setup-dds-support-inside-adobe-photoshop-cc/